Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

euphronius posted:

that’s when flu season starts

it’s good there are no big social events that take place on the final day of October

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Going to ask every gov official how many tests one test is

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

yoloer420 posted:

The primer I was looking at makes it very easy to just eyeball the result. Yellow = covid, red = no covid.

They also sell a primer for use as a control which works the same way.

https://www.neb.com/en-au/products/s1883-sars-cov-2-lamp-primer-mix-ne#Product%20Information

How is the result detected generally in a lab setting? I had a hard time determining that to be honest.
Ah ok, that's LAMP, not PCR, though they are related chemistries (both exponentially copy the target genetic region). LAMP is indeed much easier in a DIY setting because it only needs one temperature, whereas PCR requires cycling multiple temperatures.

In most lab settings, you're running PCR (or LAMP) in an instrument that both controls temperature as needed and takes images of the reactions after each cycle or (in LAMP's case) time points. There are dyes in the reaction that, if the reaction is positive and DNA is getting copied, absorbs one color of light and emits another (this is called fluorescence). Most commonly, it's blue absorbance and green emission, but there are a ton of options, and you can run a few in the same reaction as long as the colors are different enough and detect multiple targets at once. So generally you're tracking whether you're getting signal from the dye that says "positive." If it increases enough, the reaction is positive. If it doesn't, it's negative. There are a lot of kinds of dyes; if you really want to nerd out, this is a good breakdown: https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/US/en/technical-documents/technical-article/genomics/qpcr/quantitative-pcr-and-digital-pcr-detection-methods

You can also use other methods like electrochemical crap, or straight-up opening the reaction when it's done, looking at the sizes of the DNA in it, and determining whether the expected size of your target is there. (That is, you would know that your reaction is making, say, an 80-base pair product, so if you see a nice 80-bp band in your analyzer then the reaction happened.) Hell, LAMP in particular makes so drat much DNA, it turns the reaction cloudy, so you can just look for the cloudiness in a pinch.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
visible concentrations of DNA is a LOT lol

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Bastard Tetris posted:

visible concentrations of DNA is a LOT lol
It's micrograms per reaction. A fuckton.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Incidentally, LAMP is especially prone to carryover contamination

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Vaxxed?
https://twitter.com/pitchfork/status/1704513640236196118

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Phlag posted:

Walgreens does offer PCR tests through a partnership with DOH. I'm not saying that to disagree or prove you wrong - just hoping that some unaware folks are able to snag them. I totally agree that high quality tests should be free and far more easily accessible. None of the Walgreens within an hour drive of me have had them in stock in weeks (at least when I've checked).

Wow, there is actually a walgreens doing this near me. Last I checked in on this a few months ago there wasn't anything within like a hundred miles

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Zugzwang posted:

Ah ok, that's LAMP, not PCR, though they are related chemistries (both exponentially copy the target genetic region). LAMP is indeed much easier in a DIY setting because it only needs one temperature, whereas PCR requires cycling multiple temperatures.

In most lab settings, you're running PCR (or LAMP) in an instrument that both controls temperature as needed and takes images of the reactions after each cycle or (in LAMP's case) time points. There are dyes in the reaction that, if the reaction is positive and DNA is getting copied, absorbs one color of light and emits another (this is called fluorescence). Most commonly, it's blue absorbance and green emission, but there are a ton of options, and you can run a few in the same reaction as long as the colors are different enough and detect multiple targets at once. So generally you're tracking whether you're getting signal from the dye that says "positive." If it increases enough, the reaction is positive. If it doesn't, it's negative. There are a lot of kinds of dyes; if you really want to nerd out, this is a good breakdown: https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/US/en/technical-documents/technical-article/genomics/qpcr/quantitative-pcr-and-digital-pcr-detection-methods

You can also use other methods like electrochemical crap, or straight-up opening the reaction when it's done, looking at the sizes of the DNA in it, and determining whether the expected size of your target is there. (That is, you would know that your reaction is making, say, an 80-base pair product, so if you see a nice 80-bp band in your analyzer then the reaction happened.) Hell, LAMP in particular makes so drat much DNA, it turns the reaction cloudy, so you can just look for the cloudiness in a pinch.

Thanks for the detailed reply! That helps me a lot, understanding that the difference between PCR and LAMP is the single temperature in the process is helpful. Also that the PCR instrument takes images, that explains a bit to me, most of the explanations I found were just about precise timing/temp control, which is really missing that key part of the explanation. I'll take a look at that link, thanks!

Are there issues with PCR vs LAMP for covid testing? Is one more precise than the other? or are the reagents cheaper for PCR? I'm just wondering why PCR is used when LAMP seems easier in every possible way.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

please don't do this, it's (a) weird, and (b) no need to guess since it was probably loving covid, and thus redundant.

Anyway, lmao if covid just ends making a streak of one term presidencies through end of term hellwaves.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Isn't this what Bieber is dealing with for the last couple of years?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Bixington posted:

I've encountered one healthcare worker masking at my dentist, but ones at cancer, allergy, etc. are completely absent. Like...the usually old people at these places are incredibly at risk...wtf.

Got lectured about getting vaxxed by an unmasked doc at the cancer center and he just blue-screened when I questioned all the strains that aren't covered that he's raw-dogging.

Said it before ITT, height of Delta, visiting family in hospice. Just a nonstop stream of unmasked healthcare workers/family/patients walking into the Dialysis clinic next door with nary a mask in sight.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

again, no need to speculate, we all know what was likely responsible. it's only interesting if they break omerta, as more are doing.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Respiratory Illness Dashboard.

I'm presenting recent cases, emergency room (ER) visits, hospitalizations, and deaths for Washington state highlighting changes in reporting due to backfill. These are cobbled together from reports published by Washington's Healthcare, Emergency, and Logistics Tracking Hub (WA HEALTH), Washington Disease Reporting System (WDRS), Washington Health and Life Event System (WHALES), CDC's Weekly Deaths, and HHS' Hospital Capacity by State and Hospital Capacity by Facility. Thankfully I found everything reporting a standardized Sunday-Saturday week, the only downside is that the reports themselves update with different dates and frequencies. Details are in each item's description below. This is my first week reporting with the new setup so bear with me as I get the kinks sorted out.

Full set of images linked here: https://imgur.com/a/XCdir5d

Emergency visits with confirmed COVID-19 in Washington state facilities using state's weekly % of Emergency Visits and HHS's summed ED visits by week. Because the HHS's ED visits update the Monday after the state's ED % report, the most recent week of summed visits is the average of the past three weeks of emergency visits due to ALL causes multiplied by the state's most recent ratio of visits being due to COVID-19. Second most recent week of data is the actual count of ED visits due to COVID-19 as reported on Monday.

pre:
ED Visits      Changes in Recent Counts:			7-Day
week of:    4wk ago  3wk ago  2wk ago  1wk ago  This week	Total:
Sep 10            -        -        -        -    + 1,420       1,420
Sep 03            -        -        -    1,362       + 66       1,428
Aug 27            -        -        -    1,205       + 58       1,263
Aug 20            -        -        -    1,150        + 0       1,150
Aug 13            -        -        -    1,009        + 0       1,009
All Older         -        -        -   21,961      + 474          

Total new hospital admissions in Washington state facilities with laboratory confirmed COVID-19 as reported by the HHS as summed weekly totals of pediatric and adult admissions. The report I pull this from updates the Friday after the state's update so the most recent week is actually averaged from the past three weeks and should be considered with a grain of salt. Second most recent week of data is the actual count as reported last Friday.

pre:
Hosp. Admissions      Changes in Recent Counts:			7-Day
Sep 10            -        -        -        -      + 302         302
Sep 03            -        -        -        -      + 324         324
Aug 27            -        -        -      290        + 1         291
Aug 20            -        -        -      283        + 7         290
Aug 13            -        -        -      232          -         232
All Older         -        -        -    8,179       + 221          
Weekly total of all inpatient beds used in Washington state facilities counted by diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of healthcare encounters and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
Beds in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:			7-Day
Sep 10            -        -        -        -    + 2,268        2,268
Sep 03            -        -        -    2,401       - 15        2,386
Aug 27            -        -        -    2,163        + 3        2,166
Aug 20            -        -        -    1,806        + 2        1,808
Aug 13            -        -        -    1,715        + 3        1,718
All Older         -        -        -   65,149       + 14          
Recent Deaths
Deaths certificates coded as or referencing COVID-19 in WHALES with a corresponding positive lab (including postmortem) as reported in WDRS. Does not count if the individual only tested positive with a home test before dying, or in cases when there is a positive lab but COVID-19 is not referenced in cause of death.

pre:
Deaths    Changes in Recent Counts:				7-Day
Sep 10            -        -        -        -         -          -
Sep 03            -        -        -        -      + 11         11
Aug 27            -        -        -       17      + 16         33
Aug 20            -        -        -       18       + 1         19
Aug 13            -        -        -       26         -         26
All Older         -        -        -      955       + 4          
And now for the least useful metric...

Positive clinical cases (tests administered at CLIA certified or CLIA waived labs) as reported by healthcare facility, is not specific to individual's residence. Positive home tests reported to the state have been removed from the official counts.

pre:
Cases      Changes in state counts reported:			7-Day
Sep 10            -        -        -        -    + 4,059       4,059
Sep 03            -        -        -    3,663      + 186       3,849
Aug 27            -        -        -    3,908       + 35       3,943
Aug 20            -        -        -    3,313        + 5       3,318
Aug 13            -        -        -    2,817        + 6       2,823
All Older         -        -        -   88,318       + 11   
[edit] fixed layout

Zantie has issued a correction as of 06:51 on Sep 21, 2023

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

We're not allowed to discuss it lol

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

StratGoatCom posted:

Anyway, lmao if covid just ends making a streak of one term presidencies through end of term hellwaves.

Why should any of us give a poo poo how many terms presidents serve?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Eh, I think Bieber would be okay, IIRC we know he had a long covid diagnosis, but again, we know why it's happening, gawking and guessing is both weird and redundant, it's only interesting if they break omerta.

Loucks posted:

Why should any of us give a poo poo how many terms presidents serve?

because a bunch of presidents all falling into the same trap like Dwarf Fortress Dwarfs is is very stupid and very funny in a very depressing way.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Would Guillain-Barre fall under the definition of long COVID if the cause was COVID?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

StratGoatCom posted:

because a bunch of presidents all falling into the same trap like Dwarf Fortress Dwarfs is is very stupid and very funny in a very depressing way.

OK. We just disagree about whether a president dying is depressing in any way. They’ll just install another sociopathic exploitation enthusiast. But get your kicks where you can imo.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Would Guillain-Barre fall under the definition of long COVID if the cause was COVID?

I’m not sure, but we should probably call it by it’s acronym, GBS

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Loucks posted:

OK. We just disagree about whether a president dying is depressing in any way. They’ll just install another sociopathic exploitation enthusiast. But get your kicks where you can imo.

Not talking about the president himself, just owning themselves by ignoring covid until it gets so bad it eats his presidency's face by being impossible to ignore.

and it happens

over

and over

and over.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Oh, I get you.

I think people will normalize it. Just toss another hundred thousand deaths on the pile.

Joe is a one term president though unless they manage to Lock Him Up!

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

haha lmao what the gently caress :killing:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I do think that if enough powerful people get disabled it will be more and more difficult to normalize, and therefore that is a thing we should all hope happens. The people in such positions I think are mostly psychopaths who are committed to maintaining the power structures even at the risk of their own death or disability though, and that's part of why they expect all of society's underclasses to happily line up for the same

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Phlag posted:

Walgreens does offer PCR tests through a partnership with DOH. I'm not saying that to disagree or prove you wrong - just hoping that some unaware folks are able to snag them. I totally agree that high quality tests should be free and far more easily accessible. None of the Walgreens within an hour drive of me have had them in stock in weeks (at least when I've checked).

I called them and they said it wasn’t free and would cost $130 or something. They said insurance wouldn’t cover it either.

I honestly don’t know what to believe because info is inconsistent.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I signed up for that and it said I would get a confirmation email, no email is forthcoming though. Maybe they have to review each application manually?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Oh my god those upcoming mask mandates in California are only for the staff lmao

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

StratGoatCom posted:

please don't do this, it's (a) weird, and (b) no need to guess since it was probably loving covid, and thus redundant.

plus it's an article about guillan-barre syndrome which, wasn't that explicitly linked to a different viral infection in a study earlier this year?

it wasnt covid :shrug:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

icantfindaname posted:

I do think that if enough powerful people get disabled it will be more and more difficult to normalize, and therefore that is a thing we should all hope happens. The people in such positions I think are mostly psychopaths who are committed to maintaining the power structures even at the risk of their own death or disability though, and that's part of why they expect all of society's underclasses to happily line up for the same

I want you to maybe stop and consider whether this utopic vision of a mass disabling event that somehow only affects the powerful and causes them to rationally reorder society to meet their needs is reasonable or actually really loving stupid.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Bieber was diagnosed with Ramsey Hunt syndrome

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Fur20 posted:

plus it's an article about guillan-barre syndrome which, wasn't that explicitly linked to a different viral infection in a study earlier this year?

Mononucleosis.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

U-DO Burger posted:

Oh my god those upcoming mask mandates in California are only for the staff lmao

Flattening the curve of staff absence.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Fur20 posted:

There are a whole range of different triggers including COVID-19 that have been implicated in some number of the cases
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillain%E2%80%93Barr%C3%A9_syndrome#Causes

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

eXXon posted:

I want you to maybe stop and consider whether this utopic vision of a mass disabling event that somehow only affects the powerful and causes them to rationally reorder society to meet their needs is reasonable or actually really loving stupid.

I wonder if chronically ill billionaires would suddenly decide to provide for the chronically ill poor or if, instead, they would grind the poor up into a paste and spread it on themselves in the hopes of a cure

Which of these two scenarios seems more likely

Hmmm

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
a long Covid billionaire would absolutely spend all their money finding a cure and then recoup all their money selling doses to other billionaires. nobody else can afford it

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Fascinating to me how so many of these "harmless" viruses we've let circulate over the years are biting us in the rear end down the road.

I'm sure COVID will be different.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

shazbot posted:

a long Covid billionaire would absolutely spend all their money finding a cure and then recoup all their money selling doses to other billionaires. nobody else can afford it

The cure for long covid is an army of servants to do all the physical and cognitive work required to maintain your body and empire for you like you're Baron Harkkonnen so

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Pingui posted:

Flattening the curve of staff absence.

lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
there are plenty of rich and powerful who are hiding their long Covid suffering, but there are also plenty of rich and powerful who have publicly stated that they have long Covid and are miserable and it’s in one ear and out the other with the general public. there is no shortage of articles about them and none of them get much traction except with the Covid conscious crowd, which is not a great ad demographic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

yoloer420 posted:

Are there issues with PCR vs LAMP for covid testing? Is one more precise than the other? or are the reagents cheaper for PCR? I'm just wondering why PCR is used when LAMP seems easier in every possible way.
Probably a lot of reasons, I'd think:

- The ease of running the reaction (temperature-wise) doesn't really matter in a clinical setting. Hospitals and clinical labs already all have PCR instruments that can run lots of samples. Those instruments can generally run LAMP too, but frankly, nobody gives a gently caress.
- LAMP is notoriously prone to false positives. PCR is not.

In terms of creating a new test from scratch:
- Ecosystem. PCR has been around a lot longer, so tons more people are trained in it and know how it works. Major players in this space like Roche, Thermo Fisher, Hologic, etc already have all the manufacturing infrastructure spun up for PCR. This is important since LAMP and PCR use different enzymes and have some other important chemical differences too. Enzymes used in modern PCR are highly, highly engineered too to further improve the reactions. (LAMP has some engineered enzymes as well, but not nearly as many.)
- Further, ecosystem-wise, making new PCR and LAMP assays means designing new primers. Those are the short (≈20 bases for PCR, up to 40ish for two of LAMP's characteristic primers) bits of DNA that tell the enzymes where to copy. Figuring out what the primer sequences need to be is a bioinformatics/comp bio problem, and the PCR-related tools here are mature. That is not true for LAMP. (I'd bet that companies like Lucira had to make their own, especially for stuff like Flu, which is not trivial.) And the primer design for LAMP is ***a lot*** harder than for PCR because it has 8 priming sites to PCR's 2 or 3. The sites all need to meet certain characteristics and be in a relatively tight space on the genome, and you don't want the virus to mutate at those sites because it might prevent the primer from binding and then whoopsie, your reaction now has impaired sensitivity or doesn't work at all. This has already happened in PCRs where you get S-gene target failure. LAMP is a lot more vulnerable to it because again, 8 sites instead of 2 or 3, so there's that many more chances for mutations to break your assay.
- It's harder to multiplex LAMP reactions. You can run like 3 or 4 PCRs in the same reaction tube if you're using probes with different color reporter dyes. This means you can, say, look for 2 SARS-CoV-2 genes and two controls all at the same time. Or you can do FluA + FluB + RSV + control at the same time. Doing this with LAMP is...a tall order, if it's possible at all, for a lot of reasons.

And sensitivity is maybe theoretically similar with super well-designed LAMP reactions, I guess, but there seem to be more top-notch PCRs than top-notch LAMPs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯