Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

had to google what this is, came out exactly one year ago!

and it's worse, way less customization and attention to detail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Goa Tse-tung posted:

had to google what this is, came out exactly one year ago!

and it's worse, way less customization and attention to detail
Still a very fun game IMO.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Koburn posted:

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm addicted to a picross game...

A store bundle with a couple of wishlisted games and some other chaff went on sale making it cheaper then buying them individually. One of the extra games was Pickle Cross Adventure.

I thought I'd play a few puzzles as a palette cleanser between other games and now I can't stop. I've always dropped picross games after a couple of hours so I don't know why this one has stuck but I'm now nearing 200 puzzles completed.

Pickle Cross is part of an indie bundle that's running a pretty deep discount right now.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
*unless you are in australia, in which case the bundle refuses to exist

e: it seems Zombie Party and Void Invaders don't have an AUD price set :australia:

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 20, 2023

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ultrafilter posted:

Pickle Cross is part of an indie bundle that's running a pretty deep discount right now.

There's a couple of stinkers here, but otherwise this is a pretty good bundle of indie gaming with a bunch of titles that didn't get proper attention. I don't need these, won't ever have the time to play them, yet I'm hearing the calling.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Which ended up being better, Steel Rising or Lies of P?

Even as much as I root for Spiders and don’t really like Lies of P, Lies is a much better game.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Lies had a great demo, glad to hear its good

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I really want a new looter shooter that doesn't suck

Is there anything even remotely promising on the horizon in the AA/AAA space?

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

victrix posted:

The First Descendant started a beta yesterday.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2074920/The_First_Descendant/

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I stumbled upon Islands of Insight yesterday, an unusual open-world puzzle game from Lunarch Studios and Behavior Interactive and I want to tell you about it, because I think it is super cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oERzysRyg5M

It is a game where you roam around ethereal fantasy landscapes on floating sky islands while solving lots of puzzles - they can be based around logic deduction, positional lines, viewpoints, finding hidden things in the environment, chasing after moving objects, etc. There is lots of variety and a ton to find in this early version and the game itself is very pretty on high settings.

It's also multiplayer... uh, sort of. You can see other players as they're moving around and doing puzzles by themselves, but currently there is no interactivity beyond pointing out stuff to other players via pings and emotes. None of the puzzles themselves are designed for multiplayer, but I guess there's potential for such features to be added. I don't know if the devs have plans for that, right now the focus appears to be on solo play. There's also no chat feature (I suppose this might be a positive).

Then there's character progression. You gain levels for doing things and earn points that you can either spend on cosmetics or a skill tree. Some skills seem useful (you unlock a double jump early on) but others appear to be mostly bonuses or assists, I didn't go through all of it. I think you can also unlock flying at some point?

All in all, it is an odd thing, but I enjoyed the two hours I spent with it yesterday - if you like a chill collectathon exploration where you're constantly finding new stuff, this might be for you! Number go up, but without shooting or killing anyone! Woo!

The devs have been doing a two-week open playtest, which ends tomorrow (September 21st) - so if you want to check the game out, now is your chance. I don't know when there will be another test/demo, nor is there any release date.

Finally: The game supports controllers but it is very basic right now - menus won't work, only regular gameplay. The button prompts are also broken, but otherwise it works (mostly) fine.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a story or is it just freeform puzzling?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Is there a story or is it just freeform puzzling?

It's an alpha so I don't really know if there will be much of a story, but there is lore and they call it a "campaign". There's crystals you can find that give you some exposition, but nothing in the way of actual characters or cutscenes AFAIK.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

ErrEff posted:

...floating sky islands ...

Thank you for reminding me of Worlds Adrift and making me sad all over again.

But this is legit neat looking!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it makes me think of Myst Uru Online

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

UrU what's this

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

victrix posted:

I really want a new looter shooter
Look at how far we've degenerated as a society

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Disgusting.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

victrix posted:

EDF 6

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I've been playing it. It's a bit shaky, haven't had any crashes but it's stalled trying to leave missions a couple of times.

It's good fun, like a Korean version of Destiny/Warframe. Loot system's solid and eventually intuitive (modifications added to weapons count for every copy of that weapon you get, so you don't need to shift them over/redo the skin/color).

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
the Islands of Insight game test doesn't have an inverted mouse option, so that's an instant no from me. Doesn't help that the first seconds of the game had sub-30fps (Yes, I know it's a playtest but still)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

can't you just turn the mouse upside down?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm gonna give The First Descendent credit for having a status effect titled simply "Laundry." Really haven't all of us had Laundry inflicted on us at some point or another?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what's it do

Orv
May 4, 2011
It seems to just be a resists decrease which isn't super funny tbh but I really like just naming one that

E: The character's overall schtick is too apply Laundry to everyone and then drown them in a portable death bubble which sucks them in if they have Laundry

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 20, 2023

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Orv posted:

E: The character's overall schtick is too apply Laundry to everyone and then drown them in a portable death bubble which sucks them in if they have Laundry

I too remember college.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Is anyone seeing weird stuff happening with steam reporting play time? A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a LOT of games I hadn't touched in years were saying I had ~20-60 minutes played in the last two weeks. I was worried my account was compromised or something like that, but the 'last played' date on those games looked right, and convinced me it was just some kind of display bug.

I bought Like a Dragon the other day, installed it, but haven't launched it yet, and it's saying I have 93 minutes of play time. Last played says March 19. I didn't own the game until two days ago.

I did set up family sharing for my friend's son, but I'd expect his playtime to show up on his account, not mine.

This does seem more like a bug to me than someone's been playing games on my account. In the 18 years I've had a steam account, I've never once changed the password, so I probably oughta do that, although I'm afraid that when I do, I'll immediately forget the new one like I do with all my other accounts.

So yeah, anybody else seeing stuff like this? Should I be worried?

Edit: I think with LaD, I did buy it and refund it in March but had forgotten. I booted it up after posting this and there was a save file there. The other games claiming I've been playing them when I know darn well I haven't is still super weird, though.

skeletronics fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 21, 2023

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
I’ve seen my playtime decrease on Void Stranger after a play session but I just assumed that was some meta fuckery from the game.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

skeletronics posted:

Is anyone seeing weird stuff happening with steam reporting play time? A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a LOT of games I hadn't touched in years were saying I had ~20-60 minutes played in the last two weeks. I was worried my account was compromised or something like that, but the 'last played' date on those games looked right, and convinced me it was just some kind of display bug.

I bought Like a Dragon the other day, installed it, but haven't launched it yet, and it's saying I have 93 minutes of play time. Last played says March 19. I didn't own the game until two days ago.

I did set up family sharing for my friend's son, but I'd expect his playtime to show up on his account, not mine.

This does seem more like a bug to me than someone's been playing games on my account. In the 18 years I've had a steam account, I've never once changed the password, so I probably oughta do that, although I'm afraid that when I do, I'll immediately forget the new one like I do with all my other accounts.

Edit: I think with LaD, I did buy it and refund it in March but had forgotten. I booted it up after posting this and there was a save file there. The other games claiming I've been playing them when I know darn well I haven't is still super weird, though.

Yeah, saw that with my library too

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

skeletronics posted:

So yeah, anybody else seeing stuff like this?

For a couple months or so, pretty much every game I own on Steam said it had between 5-15 minutes of playtime in the last two weeks. I'm not noticing it now, but it's definitely been an issue at some point in the recent past. I've been on the Steam beta client, which might have something to do with it.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Okay, cool. That's encouraging. Seems like just some Steam bug.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ShadowMar posted:

last time i played PW3, the game didn't have controller support and the last story mission would consistently crash for me, would not call that "fine" tbh (and many steam reviews complain about this crash too, its not my computer)

I just started 3 this week and while it's not the worst thing I've seen, this definitely has Weird Mistakes in it so far. The controller is bound identically to what I run in everything else but it's set the menu forward/back keys to square and triangle, and cutscenes, even on the highest settings, are doing some weird poo poo.

Game plays pretty fuckin' good though and it's not like I need the scenes to remind me what the story is

edit: lol, lmao, what the gently caress is with the cutscenes in this thing

The text is crisp so it's not applying the blur universally, what the hell did they do to this

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 21, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That wasn't an issue back when I played through it so that's especially odd.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

hosed up that they censored Luffy's outline

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Armored core is a fun game everyone should play and this wasn't a post in the wrong thread

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

claw game handjob posted:

The text is crisp so it's not applying the blur universally, what the hell did they do to this

The astigmatism graphics setting.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

skeletronics posted:

Do you have Steam Deck? I’ve found it’ll adjust play times for games in sleep mode after you wake it up to remove the time in sleep

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Buff Hardback posted:

Do you have Steam Deck? I’ve found it’ll adjust play times for games in sleep mode after you wake it up to remove the time in sleep

Interesting. I do have a Steam Deck, but can't remember putting it to sleep while in-game. That's actually pretty cool; I didn't realize you could do that.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Highlighting some bundles I've been seeing around with some good entries within them:

Prestige Collection: Deathloop, Mechwarrior 5, Thymesia, Afterimage, Nine Years of Shadows, Outward, Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous, Shadow of War, and more...

That one above is probably the best of the lot, but the ones below are decent as well:

Get Your Head In The Game VR: Grimlord, STRIDE, Demeo, I Expect You To Die 2, After the Fall, and more...

Strike From Above: Top Down Stealth: Intravenous, Shadow Tactics, Mutant Year Zero, Serial Cleaners, and more...

New Realms 2: Chop Goblins, Iron Lung, The Tarnishing of Juxtia, and more....

Killer Bundle 27: Sniper Elite 4, Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts, Troublemaker, Red Faction Guerilla, Dreamscaper, Finding Paradise, and more...

Platinum Collection: Soulstice, Yes Your Grace, Golden Light, Mind Scanners, Children of Morta, and more...

Now go! Fill up your libraries with more games that are interesting enough to want to play but you never actually will!

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 21, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Kairosoft are discounting all their games and regretting all their life decisions with three "🥹 Kairosoft Games Are Made With Unity...🥹" bundles:
Pack 1 (This is the one with Game Dev Story)
Pack 2
Pack 3

In other news, all the official Steam sales for the first bit 2024 have had their dates released so devs can make preparations:

Capitalism and Economy Fest: January 8 - 15
Pirates vs. Ninjas Fest: January 22 - 29
Next Fest: February 5 - 12
Remote Play Together: February 12 - 19
Dinos vs. Robots Fest: February 26 - March 4
Spring Sale: March 14 - 21 (major seasonal sale)
Deckbuilders Fest: March 25 - April 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

The Kins posted:

Kairosoft are discounting all their games and regretting all their life decisions with three "🥹 Kairosoft Games Are Made With Unity...🥹" bundles:
Pack 1 (This is the one with Game Dev Story)
Pack 2
Pack 3

This is both hilarious and depressing. Picked up pack 3, haven’t played a Kairosoft game in years but I’ll give them on spin on the deck for sure. Hope they can continue to release games.