Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
im sure the developer with 53 games published since 2022 will survive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

The Kins posted:

Remote Play Together: February 12 - 19
Ohh, I hope I have a new job by then so I can buy bunch of party games for all my friends who are too far to join via remote play

Sininu fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 21, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Zetsubou-san posted:

im sure the developer with 53 games published since 2022 will survive
To be noted, most of their Steam releases are ports of their extensive catalog of older mobile games (which, themselves, were also frequently ports of their older PC games). Game Dev Story originally came out in 1997, although it wasn't a breakout hit until the 2010 phone version. They do still have a brisk development, though - 2022-2023 saw 8 new mobile releases.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Kairosoft's games also tend to be on the cheaper side, so they would have been the hardest hit by a fixed fee per install.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
ah, that's on me, sorry about that, got me rankles up unjustly

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Steam's front page is earnestly informing me about the live stream of a Gas Station Simulator.

Burn it all down.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Serephina posted:

Steam's front page is earnestly informing me about the live stream of a Gas Station Simulator.

Burn it all down.
At least you'll have plenty of petrol to accomplish the task.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Serephina posted:

Burn it all down.

This is actually not advised when operating a gas station.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I ticked a game off my backlog and played and finished The Way, which I think was a good game. It's aiming for Flashback and it kind of gets there but the jumping is a little stiff and you don't reliably step a certain distance like you do in Chahi games so there's a few platforming sections that can be extra frustrating because of that, but in general it was a real nice game. I liked the puzzles, it starts off pretty simple having you steal a spaceship with full instructions on what needs to be done to do it but once you get to the alien ruins you're pretty much left on your own, and while I did have to take several screenshots for puzzles it never rose to a La-Mulana level of difficulty. It's a buck fifty on sale and a good 6 hours to finish, what a bargain.

Also it really knows how to begin a tutorial

https://i.imgur.com/HZPxcYC.mp4

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Serephina posted:

Burn it all down.

No jokes, it looks like a legit fun fun game. I caught somebody streaming it a while ago.

Mostly because the actual management part is kinda toned down, in favor of weird poo poo like ghosts, racing RC cars and feeding trash to sewer crocodiles.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
I've never played a MechWarrior game before, but I picked up MW5 in a bundle.

How does it stand in the series? Is it a good entry point?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

No jokes, it looks like a legit fun fun game. I caught somebody streaming it a while ago.

Mostly because the actual management part is kinda toned down, in favor of weird poo poo like ghosts, racing RC cars and feeding trash to sewer crocodiles.

The early early access versions had some hilarious bugs such as using a broom to push around trucks into the orbit, people driving away in invisible cars and fish spawning inside the cash register. Plus it had customers like George R.R. Martin and Geralt of Rivia come by every now and then.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Fun GRRM fact: the last game he regularly played was Master of Orion 1 ... and quit because it was too addictive.

I still love the game, but have been obsessed with this fan remake: https://rayfowler.itch.io/remnants-of-the-precursors

It's essentially the same game rules with bug fixes, lots more options, optional strong AI, and new interface+art.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Gorilla Radio posted:

I think BattleTech nerds don't love it for whatever reason but I sure enjoyed it as a higher fidelity mech romping action game :shrug:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think MW2/3/4 are all better MW games than 5 but with the expansions and maybe some mods to make the AI not as poo poo MW5 is pretty fun as a game, especially if you haven't played the older games.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gorilla Radio posted:

It had a bit of a rough release but is in solid shape by now, yeah. Personally I'd say 4 was a bit better and number 2 is probably overall held in highest regard, but they are showing their age and may need a bunch of mods to even run. Story-wise none of them are really connected, so you can absolutely jump right into MW5 no problem.

One thing I learned the hard way: Make sure to give your AI lance mates' mechs a bunch more armor. They are not good at evading fire and many missions will see you outnumbered, so the default armor loadouts will usually see them taking substantial (and expensive) damage.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 21, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Good job Capcom make sure you end on boorin poo poo

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

MW2: Mercs is I think my ultimate nostalgia game, first 3dfx, alpha strikes agogo, that one mission in the tiny groundcar, wonderful stuff

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Gorilla Radio posted:

Sure is, especially with some mods, and the rest are so old at this point I can't imagine you could even find them for sale. Mechwarrior 4 was back in 2002.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Squiggle posted:

Sure is, especially with some mods, and the rest are so old at this point I can't imagine you could even find them for sale. Mechwarrior 4 was back in 2002.

Thanks everyone! This was going to be my follow up question. Isn't there some legal limbo with MW2? Can the earlier ones be found on GOG? Anywhere?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

No, none of the old MW games are available to buy. I think 2 & 3 have packs on Reddit that will work on a modern OS, not sure about 4 but I don't remember having a ton of trouble getting it running previously. I don't know who actually owns 1-3 rights anymore, but I think 4 might still be under Microsoft. Just a guess, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I sort of got MW4 Mercs working but it crashed every mission load (but the loads were instant, so it didn't really matter beyond being a nuisance)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Welp, looks like Payday 3 committed the classic one-two of requiring you to make an account on their own servers to play and having those servers be not nearly powerful enough to survive release. :allears:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How is Payday 3?
All I kind of wanted is the same Payday but running on an engine that isn't loving dying constantly, but apparently Payday 3 isn't so hot at all?

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Jack Trades posted:

How is Payday 3?
All I kind of wanted is the same Payday but running on an engine that isn't loving dying constantly, but apparently Payday 3 isn't so hot at all?

Other than wobbly servers and some minor UI things, I've been having a blast with it so far. It's Payday 2.5 in the best way so worth a look once they sort their launch out.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So does Payday 3 still have stealth? Like, in a multiplayer horde shooter?

Because I do not care if they are trying to replicate hiests, gently caress that noise

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

gently caress that noise
ironically something you'd say if you're trying to stealth

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Stealth in Payday 2 is actually very fun to do...just maybe not with randoms.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

3 has a significantly better stealth system in that there's not a concealment thing anymore so you can transition to loud with zero issues (except pubbies, who will probably beg to restart the heist when they fail stealth)

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Unlucky7 posted:

Because I do not care if they are trying to replicate hiests, gently caress that noise

It does but I haven't run into any mandatory stealth heists yet, although I have two more to do. The description of one reads like it will require stealth, but if you go loud, you get an alternate set of objectives instead of a fail state.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

Stealth in Payday 2 is actually very fun to do...just maybe not with randoms.

I will take your word for it, but I do not have a gaming group and I have too much social anxiety to chat up a discord server for a group, so I will put that in the "bored on a lazy sunday" pile.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

victrix posted:

I really want a new looter shooter that doesn't suck

Is there anything even remotely promising on the horizon in the AA/AAA space?

It'll presumably be a while, but they just announced The Division 3.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Balatro just got a new demo. Rather than unlimited with a timer, it's now limited with unlimited time

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 22, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

I hear you no longer need to choose between "being able to stealth" and "being able to survive things going loud" with your gear.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Pigbuster posted:

Balatro just got a new demo. Rather than unlimited with a timer, it's now limited with unlimited time

Hell yeah thanks for the heads up! Got obsessed with this in the playtest.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Unlucky7 posted:

I think you have missed the entire point of the Payday franchise. Going loud is possible, but is essentially considered a fail state. Getting a perfect, stealthy, no detection heist is the whole point.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tamba posted:

Kairosoft's games also tend to be on the cheaper side, so they would have been the hardest hit by a fixed fee per install.

Honestly they are quite good time wasters on the phone too. I bought a few on steam just now because I genuinely enjoy their formula.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I look at the DLC for Payday 2 and the number of loud heists/weapons vastly outnumber stealth.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think you have missed the entire point of the Payday franchise. Going loud is possible, but is essentially considered a fail state. Getting a perfect, stealthy, no detection heistrad, and killing loads of cops is the whole point.

the fun is in the mix, perfectly executed stealth is satisfying but so is scrambling when it goes wrong and/or just tackling things with a loud approach from the start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've only played a few missions of Payday 3 so far, but most of them had a decent balance in that your stealth efforts aren't wasted once you go loud. If you get halfway to the objective before the shooting starts, that's a fair amount of ammo, armor, and health you've saved. So far I've only come across one mission that basically stated "do this stealthy or lose out on a bunch of the score", which of course was the one where a pubbie instantly masked up upon startup and ran right for the entrance. :allears: