Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Centusin posted:

It takes me 90 minutes to get to work so if the government could force me into a 15 minute city I would be thrilled

SyntheticPolygon posted:

150 for me. This 15 min city thing sounds pretty cool

Not trying to be a smartass, sincerely curious - is this not the point at which you just try to get a different job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Yeah its the only advantage of renting, whenever I changed jobs I changed rentals to somewhere within walking distance

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

if a job requires more than a 30min commute from the region my actual life occurs in, I ask for more money or look for another job.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/HaroldHalt/status/1704348561604006362

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
wake up babe, australian expansion for illuminati, a game of conspiracy just dropped

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
can't say it isn't possible knowing Australians

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1704843344457658436

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I'm surprised the ABC headline was not something like "Lead Fox stepping back from chair, you will never guess what happens to News"

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I don’t read AFR but a workmate sent me this because we’ve been talking about short stays and rentals and it’s a laugh, good on them for for publishing this without a satire tag.

" ‘I’m not rich, I’m a single mum’: Airbnb tax hits property owners posted:

Leanne Taylor is a single mum of two teenagers who uses Airbnb to help her stay ahead of rising interest rates, higher energy bills and more expensive groceries.

The edge she gets from the extra income is about to get narrower.

Ms Taylor, 47, faces an extra 7.5 per cent tax on her rental properties, after the Andrews government on Wednesday announced the first statewide tax on short-stay accommodation.

The former real estate agent and hospitality worker now works as a sales executive but has three properties which she rents on Airbnb. She is already feeling the effects of the state government’s $4.6 billion tax slug for property owners in the May budget.

Ms Taylor’s properties are a two-bedroom apartment in Kew owned by her self-managed super fund, which she will hopefully use to retire, her previous residence in Williamstown, which is now an investment property, and a holiday house in Torquay that her family shares with other holidaymakers.

“I’m not rich.
If I was rich, I wouldn’t have to rent my properties out. I’m just a single mum working hard to build a future for my kids through property and additional revenue streams,” she told The Australian Financial Review.

Premier Daniel Andrews says there are 36,000 properties in the state that could become available to renters. The new levy would override the councils that have begun imposing their own regimes on short-stay rentals.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The AFR is weird, I used to read it because it was the only newspaper we got delivered at work. 99% of it would be stuff like that, just fawning coverage of rich arseholes. Then you'd get to the last page and there's Joe Aston just skewering the same rich arseholes with some of the most devastating invective you've ever seen and getting the paper sued all the time.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

putting aside the debate about whether or not owning two houses and a time share counts as rich or not im astounded by the sheer lack of integrity to report this as
her paying an extra tax when its a consumer facing tax that will likely have no real impact on demand

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

You missed the best part, uncovered by people on Twitter after she Streisand Effected herself: she runs a laundry business for Airbnbs

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

freebooter posted:

You missed the best part, uncovered by people on Twitter after she Streisand Effected herself: she runs a laundry business for Airbnbs

yeah I saw that and its very funny but like its not just dishonest crony capitalism poo poo its actual factual misinformation

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The AFR is weird, I used to read it because it was the only newspaper we got delivered at work. 99% of it would be stuff like that, just fawning coverage of rich arseholes. Then you'd get to the last page and there's Joe Aston just skewering the same rich arseholes with some of the most devastating invective you've ever seen and getting the paper sued all the time.

Yeah, I used to subscribe to the AFR because if you follow the money, sometimes it tells you a lot more about the motivations of one move or another (way more than say an opinion piece or news report in the Australian or Guardian for example) but your summary is so very true. The fawning got so tiresome I dropped the subscription.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

@HaraldHolt posted:

What, and I can't stress this enough, the actual gently caress

hooman posted:

People going insane

hooman posted:

imported talking point

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

australian expansion for illuminati, a game of conspiracy

Periodic reminder that we are looking at the effects of a transnational and intergenerational network of ruthless capitalists deliberately weaponising the conspiracy narrative virus to fight progressivism

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Periodic reminder that we are looking at the effects of a transnational and intergenerational network of ruthless capitalists deliberately weaponising the conspiracy narrative virus to fight progressivism

the illuminati got to you too huh?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

mate as soon as time travel is perfected Bucky is going to complete the circle and create the illuminati trying to research them

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Holy poo poo get a hobby

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Plus with the AFR website you hit the Esc key at the right time and you can beat the paywall.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

freebooter posted:

So this single mum, just trying to get by with her several airbnb properties and a business reliant on airbnb, who is not rich, is against anything that may be detrimental to the airbnb market? Right, thanks AFR for that point of view.

The rental market in Melbourne is hosed and I know this tax won’t fix it, I’d been sort of outside it being in a long term rental but I’m looking to move and everything is more than I want to pay. I’m lucky because I’m on decent money so I can afford it but I keep looking further and further out to find something in a reasonable price range; I’m possibly moving down Geelong way - which would be nice because I have family there.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Is she actually a single mom? Or just divorced. Because that's an entirely different situation. Is the Dad actually a deadbeat and not involved, or dead?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Recoome posted:

Holy poo poo get a hobby

Hope that’s at least a tempered glass house you’re tossing those stones around in friend

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Eediot Jedi posted:

mate as soon as time travel is perfected Bucky is going to complete the circle and create the illuminati trying to research them

i actually have a similar interest to bucky in the history of these conspiracy narratives and one of the most insane and funny things about the history of the term is that at multiple points in history unrelated groups have needed a name for their mysterious secret society, read about the illuminati and decided to use it because of the mystique all the previous groups cultivated so its likely this already happened and future bucky already has gone back in time. the modern use of the term is exclusively thanks to playboy writers robert anton wilson and robert shea who cowrote an excellent satire of conspiracies that was grafted onto a bunch of post jfk assassination stuff

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i actually have a similar interest to bucky in the history of these conspiracy narratives and one of the most insane and funny things about the history of the term is that at multiple points in history unrelated groups have needed a name for their mysterious secret society, read about the illuminati and decided to use it because of the mystique all the previous groups cultivated so its likely this already happened and future bucky already has gone back in time. the modern use of the term is exclusively thanks to playboy writers robert anton wilson and robert shea who cowrote an excellent satire of conspiracies that was grafted onto a bunch of post jfk assassination stuff

indeed

Although we would be remiss to omit Kerry Thornley and Greg Hill, who got Wilson and Shea's juices flowing.

And to be clear, the "network" I was referring to above is a lot more decentralised and a lot less mysterious than "the illuminati"

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
:nallears:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I’ll believe it when I see proof

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

DRINK ME posted:

So this single mum, just trying to get by with her several airbnb properties and a business reliant on airbnb, who is not rich, is against anything that may be detrimental to the airbnb market? Right, thanks AFR for that point of view.

The rental market in Melbourne is hosed and I know this tax won’t fix it, I’d been sort of outside it being in a long term rental but I’m looking to move and everything is more than I want to pay. I’m lucky because I’m on decent money so I can afford it but I keep looking further and further out to find something in a reasonable price range; I’m possibly moving down Geelong way - which would be nice because I have family there.

If you're heading down Geelong way, don't expect cheap.

I have friends there and the rental market is stupid.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

The nomination will be considered by shareholders at the media giant’s annual meeting in November, a media statement released on Friday (Saturday AEST) confirmed. Nominated alongside Abbott was technology executive Peggy Johnson.

“I welcome Peggy Johnson and Tony Abbott’s nominations to the board,” Lachlan Murdoch, who has been chief executive of Fox Corp since 2019, said in a statement.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/sep/23/lachlan-murdoch-endorses-tony-abbott-to-join-fox-corporation-board-of-directors

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

hambeet posted:

I’ll believe it when I see proof

Have you ever noticed that the Crossing The Desert is a lot like the Unblinking Eye? And it's exactly like the Wreck Of The Hesperus?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Megillah Gorilla posted:

yeah growth in rental prices has actually gotten worse in capital adjacent towns than in the capital cities since the pandemic, beaudesert was looking at 100 dollar hikes between leases as a minimum

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Tony's doing to blow up News Corp like he tried to destroy the NBN.

Good Luck Tony, we're all counting on you.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Ugh. Imagine how hosed up you must be to be welcoming Tony Abbott. Shudder.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Peta Credlin will just do everything for him anyway.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Eediot Jedi posted:

the future has taken root in the present

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The gently caress is a "chairman emeritus" anyway?

Not legally in charge in any way he could be hit by a lawsuit, but still calling the shots to his idiot children?

And loving Abbott, lol.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
its a fancy term for cuckold

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Sadly seems to be the case all over. I figure since I’m going to be overpaying almost anywhere I go I might as well go somewhere I want to be - I actually want to move to somewhere like Dimboola, or generally far away from Melbourne and crowds but the workplace is ramping up the pressure on return to the office.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The gently caress is a "chairman emeritus" anyway?

Not legally in charge in any way he could be hit by a lawsuit, but still calling the shots to his idiot children?

And loving Abbott, lol.

You know that weird sci fi trope that keeps showing up where the evil company is secretly being run the undead lich who was CEO 200 years ago? It's that. He's living out his fantasy. He watched Iron Fist and thought the villain was the good guy.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I hate conspiracy theories so god drat much. Literally everything political has some sort of crazy loving theory trying to dismantle it.

The voice isn't really that powerful, it's typical Labor through and through but holy drat all these communism by stealth ect things about it...

Where is the return to normalcy? When are people gonna snap out of it? Surely people just get bored of the endless rabbit hole. It cannot be that engrossing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Anidav posted:

I hate conspiracy theories so god drat much. Literally everything political has some sort of crazy loving theory trying to dismantle it.

The voice isn't really that powerful, it's typical Labor through and through but holy drat all these communism by stealth ect things about it...

Where is the return to normalcy? When are people gonna snap out of it? Surely people just get bored of the endless rabbit hole. It cannot be that engrossing.

what if I told you I had an article that explained all this and you'd only need a few hours to read it