Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It's prison. They all suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
We should send him on a voyage of discovery, where he "tours" each prison for, oh say, 5 years and then once he has been through all of them he gets to pick the one he can serve his prison sentence.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
He probably actually believes that there are luxury, coddling prisons where people intentionally go to jail on the taxpayer's dime so they can have have free room and board and not have to find a job.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Eyes Have It posted:

He probably actually believes that there are luxury, coddling prisons where people intentionally go to jail on the taxpayer's dime so they can have have free room and board and not have to find a job.

Yeah it’s called “the U.S. Capitol”.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That man does not weigh anything approaching his claimed weight

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Still think Newsom/Fetterman 2024 would be a powerhouse ticket that would cleanup on downballot races. I know Newsom isn’t ideal but he has national profile & contempt for maga nonsense & Fetterman is becoming one of the most popular Dems nationally. Know we’re gonna get stuck with Biden/Harris limping across the finish line but oh well.

Really, Newsom? What works for CA won’t work for the rest of the US. Give me Whitmer any day

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Newsom is just a donkey flavored authoritarian. No thanks.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Eyes Have It posted:

when I was a kid I constantly heard stories of those "club fed" prisons for white collar criminals, and yes, people believe its basically a resort you have to sleep at for a while. maybe they even existed at one time, but now rich people just don't go to prison at all

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

It won't let me embed a clip, but Trump on his first day in Federal gently caress Me In The rear end Prison:

https://www.youtube.com/clip/UgkxG2aVcK6yuZ2Wv9wOzpkWiz42S8TVsEJp

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

RFC2324 posted:

when I was a kid I constantly heard stories of those "club fed" prisons for white collar criminals, and yes, people believe its basically a resort you have to sleep at for a while. maybe they even existed at one time, but now rich people just don't go to prison at all

had us in the first half, ngl

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mustang posted:

We should have burned the South to the ground after the Civil War, Southern white society didn't have any redeeming factors and contributes nothing to the US. It's still a cultural backwater of ignorant racists and bigots to this day.

Finally managing to escape the South in my late 20's showed me how utter backwards that shithole is, and how much better other parts of the country are. Imagine what the US would be like if the South wasn't a bastion of conservatism.

Do you have any idea how many variations on this post you’ve done since, I dunno let’s just draw an arbitrary line to Covid-19?

The south has you hosed up man. It’s not too bad if you’ve got money. Sorry you tried living in Florida broke. That poo poo would suck if you weren’t into the weather and never got to enjoy poo poo like the nature of Florida because you are couch surfing or working a triple or whatever other hell you had to go through to live in FL as a College student without the GI bill I assume. (I’m like 99% sure you weren’t dumb enough to be Prior-E..)

You and Florida are like me and Weed and also like most Jimmy Buffet songs- old hat! And everyone knows the tune even if they don’t know the exact words.

I want to help you not feel so angry about a place you no longer live and never have to again. And that will be completely underwater and memory holed by 2223.

Don’t worry about burning down the south, until the gulf waters get to the Appalachian’s/smokies it’s gonna mostly drown itself. Time and climate change are not on the Southeast’s time.

Not looking great for you in the PNW either- but at least you like we’re your living man. You should focus more on that, the area and geography you love. You are the furthest thing from insufferable when it comes to this- but I’d just like to see you be happier man and I swear to god I think you’d be happier focusing on Washington and all the great things there where you live instead of Florida where you (thankfully for you) don’t have to live.

🙏

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I don't think McCarthy's meeting at 4PM today helped anything

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1704605784813011144?t=MTLfoMkUQNe7N_GDiYq2pA&s=19

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

goddammit there's about 2/5 of us down here that aren't like that and our only hope to leave is for all the chud shitbirds in blue and purple states to keep moving here and creating vacancies where they came from that we can take while also reducing their electoral influence by overconcentrating themselves

so if you wanna do something constructive get into conservative spaces and start helping convince more of those assholes that SC is the new FL so I can get the gently caress out of here

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Boy oh boy I wonder how a government shutdown would not the big govt project I'm on. Better go make some popcorn.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

:emptyquote:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Arrath posted:

Boy oh boy I wonder how a government shutdown would not the big govt project I'm on. Better go make some popcorn.

Almost every government person I've talked to in the past few weeks have had no idea there's even the potential of government shutdown on the horizon, it's hilarious. Ironically the only one tracking already had vacation booked months ago for the first two weeks of October and will be enjoying the chaos from Barcelona.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Almost every government person I've talked to in the past few weeks have had no idea there's even the potential of government shutdown on the horizon, it's hilarious. Ironically the only one tracking already had vacation booked months ago for the first two weeks of October and will be enjoying the chaos from Barcelona.

lol I'm in the same boat, I have enough leave booked for October due to family medical stuff and actual fun leave that I can just sit back and kind of sigh.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arrath posted:

If you're a contractor, you're funded, and you're doing the work off government property you're solid until the funding runs out. If any of those aren't true then get ready to do nothing and not get paid for it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Midjack posted:

If you're a contractor, you're funded, and you're doing the work off government property you're solid until the funding runs out. If any of those aren't true then get ready to do nothing and not get paid for it.

The first is true, second is above my pay grade but I think we have a couple tranches of funding, and we are well and truly on govt property. So it's a land of contrasts? I expect whatever happens we'll get flogged and told to keep at it, if at least by our own management to try and regain some lost schedule.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

A.o.D. posted:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
For what it's worth, this is the first time I've heard of any type of plan, to the extent that "House Leadership" actually exists:

https://twitter.com/bresreports/status/1704627673199194141?t=_uwaagItbalH_1bVCG08pA&s=19

My guess is that it gets torpedoed before Saturday and then a whole lot of shutdown plans get dusted off.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arrath posted:

The first is true, second is above my pay grade but I think we have a couple tranches of funding, and we are well and truly on govt property. So it's a land of contrasts? I expect whatever happens we'll get flogged and told to keep at it, if at least by our own management to try and regain some lost schedule.

There's a chance your work will be deemed essential and you'll be allowed to come on site and do it but it will be very circumscribed if so. That decision will be made by the client.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

From personal experience, we've run into issues during past shutdowns where the Government failed to forward fund their contracts (i.e. like paying your utility bill ahead of time if you know you're not going to be around to send the check at the first of the month for the non-government contractor types) and then finding out the guy who signs the checks was deemed non-essential and sent home when they ended up coming up short.

Any office's shutdown plan should include those types of considerations although it's dependent on how on the ball the Contracting Office and Program Control are.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Arrath posted:

I haven't heard about a contract keeping its funding status quiet before.

My employer proclaimed our full funding rather loudly.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Terrifying Effigies posted:

From personal experience, we've run into issues during past shutdowns where the Government failed to forward fund their contracts (i.e. like paying your utility bill ahead of time if you know you're not going to be around to send the check at the first of the month for the non-government contractor types) and then finding out the guy who signs the checks was deemed non-essential and sent home when they ended up coming up short.

Any office's shutdown plan should include those types of considerations although it's dependent on how on the ball the Contracting Office and Program Control are.

At this point if you weren't already forward funded out of FY23 it isn't happening. If the contract is structured to rely on incremental funding that began at the start of FY24 you're out of luck too.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

ASAPI posted:

I haven't heard about a contract keeping its funding status quiet before.

My employer proclaimed our full funding rather loudly.

Eh it's not that they're keeping it quiet, I just haven't bothered to pay attention. I've been too deep in the trenches to come up for breath more or less and I'm just a project engineer, as long as my checks cash i'm happy.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 21, 2023

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Looks to me like it's time to buckle up for a shut down. The coo-coo for cocoa puffs wingnut-o-sphere is just completely off the reservation on this stuff and don't look like they're headed back to civilization any time soon. Their plan seems to be trying to distract everyone from the shutdown via impeachment which is.....well good luck with that. Glad the concept of a default had the can kicked down the road a good few years because these loving loons are just crazy enough to do it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Man I’m glad other governments don’t pull this bullshit.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

On a happier note:

https://twitter.com/lawindsor/status/1704595445123555535

RIP in Piss.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
A lot of air traffic controllers think that several facilities on the east coast having a lot of people starting to call in sick helped end the last shut down so I won’t be at all shocked if there are immediate impacts to air travel with even more staffing shortages than we have normally. So good luck if you’re planning on flying anywhere.

It was never really an issue before even though the leave is free as it doesn’t actually exist but people got fed up missing a few paychecks.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

fknlo posted:

A lot of air traffic controllers think that several facilities on the east coast having a lot of people starting to call in sick helped end the last shut down so I won’t be at all shocked if there are immediate impacts to air travel with even more staffing shortages than we have normally. So good luck if you’re planning on flying anywhere.

It was never really an issue before even though the leave is free as it doesn’t actually exist but people got fed up missing a few paychecks.

A lot of people just can't afford to miss a few paychecks

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

A lot of people just can't afford to miss a few paychecks

Correct. There’s some relief in the form of interest free loans and stuff that are available from certain banks during shutdowns but it gets old at a certain point

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Do you have any idea how many variations on this post you’ve done since, I dunno let’s just draw an arbitrary line to Covid-19?

The south has you hosed up man. It’s not too bad if you’ve got money. Sorry you tried living in Florida broke. That poo poo would suck if you weren’t into the weather and never got to enjoy poo poo like the nature of Florida because you are couch surfing or working a triple or whatever other hell you had to go through to live in FL as a College student without the GI bill I assume. (I’m like 99% sure you weren’t dumb enough to be Prior-E..)

You and Florida are like me and Weed and also like most Jimmy Buffet songs- old hat! And everyone knows the tune even if they don’t know the exact words.

I want to help you not feel so angry about a place you no longer live and never have to again. And that will be completely underwater and memory holed by 2223.

Don’t worry about burning down the south, until the gulf waters get to the Appalachian’s/smokies it’s gonna mostly drown itself. Time and climate change are not on the Southeast’s time.

Not looking great for you in the PNW either- but at least you like we’re your living man. You should focus more on that, the area and geography you love. You are the furthest thing from insufferable when it comes to this- but I’d just like to see you be happier man and I swear to god I think you’d be happier focusing on Washington and all the great things there where you live instead of Florida where you (thankfully for you) don’t have to live.

🙏

Apart from that girl I texted you about, nah I’m w him.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

fknlo posted:

It just dawned on me that there might be a shutdown when I’m supposed to be hanging out with a couple of my best friends in CO.

Guess it’s a good thing I got refundable airfare. Goddamnit.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

facialimpediment posted:

Here's a story out of New South Wales, Australia. A reporter was trying to figure out what happens when the department of Births, Deaths, and Marriages rejects a baby's name. She tried contacting the government office and she couldn't get a sufficient response. So since she was about to have a baby, she decided to name her baby something stupid that would obviously get rejected to find out what happened.

Naturally, government being government no matter where you're from, missed it. So, the reporter got to welcome her lovely baby Methamphetamine Rules to the world.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...68179a84667d92b

Oh, they didn't miss it. Some clerk she'd badgered for info previously saw that, and had a fit of malicious compliance.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/nfts-worthless-researchers-find-1234828767/

NFTs worth exactly what we all thought they were

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

SerthVarnee posted:

We should send him on a voyage of discovery, where he "tours" each prison for, oh say, 5 years and then once he has been through all of them he gets to pick the one he can serve his prison sentence.

What a way to reform the correctional system- Force inmates to share a prison with him and listen to his speeches and incessant rambling. There will no doubt be people who are into it, but also people who get tired of it quickly and remember it as a deterrent against future trips to pokey.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

CBJSprague24 posted:

What a way to reform the correctional system- Force inmates to share a prison with him and listen to his speeches and incessant rambling. There will no doubt be people who are into it, but also people who get tired of it quickly and remember it as a deterrent against future trips to pokey.

this is just prisons as additional torture and that’s not ok for the other inmates

be better america

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Check out the latest ad for X: the everything app

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1704848251667808330?t=zqTBPveRsia0GvOfDCbb0Q&s=19

It's really like yesterday where Elon was like I HAVE A REALLY GOOD IDEA, POST YOUR VIDEOS TO X in a reply to... Taylor Swift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

facialimpediment posted:

Check out the latest ad for X: the everything app

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1704848251667808330?t=zqTBPveRsia0GvOfDCbb0Q&s=19

It's really like yesterday where Elon was like I HAVE A REALLY GOOD IDEA, POST YOUR VIDEOS TO X in a reply to... Taylor Swift

Seems like an ad for all the things you can do on any phone rn without logging into twitter at all tbh.