Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Does anyone know where I can get a decent DDR dance pad nowadays? I'm looking for something higher quality than the garbage 30 dollar ones you can find on Amazon, but I don't want to spend 600 dollars on a metal contraption. Everything mid-tier seems to have just vanished! Every time I try to order a good pad for like, 60-100 dollars, I get right up to checkout before it's revealed that there's no pads in stock. I can't find them anywhere.

e: specifically looking for one that has a USB connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I built one myself like 20 years ago for not too much, it was pretty easy (all the complicated electronics are handled by cannibalizing off an existing controller)

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

credburn posted:

Does anyone know where I can get a decent DDR dance pad nowadays? I'm looking for something higher quality than the garbage 30 dollar ones you can find on Amazon, but I don't want to spend 600 dollars on a metal contraption. Everything mid-tier seems to have just vanished! Every time I try to order a good pad for like, 60-100 dollars, I get right up to checkout before it's revealed that there's no pads in stock. I can't find them anywhere.

e: specifically looking for one that has a USB connection.

Hate to say it, but pretty sure the only options that aren't an Arcade or Stepmania X pad are something from L-Tek:

https://www.maty-taneczne.pl/product-category/dance-mats-ddr-piu/

Or to mod the softpads with some hard backing. e.g. Nail the softpad to a piece of plywood and add some rubber foam backing to the plywood or place on top of some workout mats.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

.Z. posted:

Hate to say it, but pretty sure the only options that aren't an Arcade or Stepmania X pad are something from L-Tek:

Or to mod the softpads with some hard backing. e.g. Nail the softpad to a piece of plywood and add some rubber foam backing to the plywood or place on top of some workout mats.

my partner literally just bought the L-TEK ex pro 2 with bar today, what a coincidence

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

.Z. posted:

Three years ago these were so easy to come by. Now it looks like this is what I gotta do. I mean, a metal dance pad is nice but... my 60 dollar guy was perfect and lasted me almost six years of almost daily use!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
My wallet is falling apart and I'm in the market for a new one. I kind of like those sleek little carbon fibre jobs that pop out your cards but I also have a habit of carrying cash and change for pinball machines, so I don't really know what I want I guess. Open to recommendations! Thanks.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

My wallet is falling apart and I'm in the market for a new one. I kind of like those sleek little carbon fibre jobs that pop out your cards but I also have a habit of carrying cash and change for pinball machines, so I don't really know what I want I guess. Open to recommendations! Thanks.

I'm a big fan of the Slimfold micro wallet for a slim, compact bifold: https://www.slimfoldwallet.com/products/thin-wallet-micro-soft-shell?variant=37388627457
It won't carry coins, you'd need to get a coin pouch separate. Also, it's sized for US dollars, so if carry larger sized currency you'd want to go up to the original size and I'm less a fan of that one.
https://www.slimfoldwallet.com/products/thin-wallet-original-soft-shell?variant=37388656833

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I’ve got one of the slim fold micros and I like it quite a bit. Had it a few years now and it still looks almost brand new.

The one caveat, though, is that it doesn’t hold a lot of cash very well. If you’re a ‘carry a $20 and the change from the previous $20’ kinda guy who rarely has more than 7-8 bills in the wallet, it’s great. If you regularly carry a lot of bills on you, it’s considerably less great, because carrying around a big wad of ones defeats the entire purpose of a slim minimalist wallet.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Big Skinny wallets are as the name says. They come in a wide variety of sizes based on how much you want to stuff into it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Big Skinny wallets are as the name says. They come in a wide variety of sizes based on how much you want to stuff into it.

Yeah these are good, I had one of the nylon ones and loved it.

I also liked one by VBAX that was cheaply made but very thin nylon that held up well, the main drawback for me was the bills would stick out of the top a little. The thickness was great but the other dimensions could have been a little bigger

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
https://commonfibers.com/collections/wallets/products/max

I got one of these years ago from their kickstarter, and I still use it every day.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

.Z. posted:

I'm a big fan of the Slimfold micro wallet for a slim, compact bifold: https://www.slimfoldwallet.com/products/thin-wallet-micro-soft-shell?variant=37388627457
It won't carry coins, you'd need to get a coin pouch separate. Also, it's sized for US dollars, so if carry larger sized currency you'd want to go up to the original size and I'm less a fan of that one.
https://www.slimfoldwallet.com/products/thin-wallet-original-soft-shell?variant=37388656833

I've been in the market. Ordered a nano. Found a coupon code "NEW15" for 15% off that works.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
This is a longshot, but has anyone used an HDMI-to-multimode fiber connector? They're usually in a transmitter/receiver set. I need one for work, and it's hard to figure out what's good, and what's just drop-shipped garbage.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Looking to get a quality bathrobe, I live in the hot rear end hellhole that is Florida, so mega plush fleece lined is a hard no. I’m hoping to find something comfortable, not something you’d overheat in, and not full length. Men’s as well if that matters, and I’m willing to go up to about $200 if need be. Amazon is loaded with garbage as expected, and the “best bathrobe” lists are all over the place with companies I’ve never heard of.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Cobra Commander posted:

Looking to get a quality bathrobe, I live in the hot rear end hellhole that is Florida, so mega plush fleece lined is a hard no. I’m hoping to find something comfortable, not something you’d overheat in, and not full length. Men’s as well if that matters, and I’m willing to go up to about $200 if need be. Amazon is loaded with garbage as expected, and the “best bathrobe” lists are all over the place with companies I’ve never heard of.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-robes/ has all the options you can imagine. The brands listed are good ones, trust the page like it was made for.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I have a ll bean flannel one that they used to recommend that’s quite comfortable. It isn’t super warm but I don’t think it would do too well in warmer climates. Does silk insulate worth a drat? Maybe satin? You’re going to want breathable above just about all else.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Is there anyone still making/selling BPA-full plastic stuff? Specifically water bottles and ice cube trays. I want indestructible ones and I'm not concerned about leaching (I'll avoid hot/acidic things and not use them to feed infants, which I think are the biggest risks).

mystes
May 31, 2006

Trapick posted:

Is there anyone still making/selling BPA-full plastic stuff? Specifically water bottles and ice cube trays. I want indestructible ones and I'm not concerned about leaching (I'll avoid hot/acidic things and not use them to feed infants, which I think are the biggest risks).
I don't think anyone is selling water bottles with actual BPA anymore but polycarbonate (which most hard clear plastic stuff is made of) still has other very similar chemicals that are effectively the same thing. You could just YOLO it but if you specifically like the feel of polycarbonate and want something like a nalgene water bottle, you might also want to try tritan which looks/feels similar but doesn't have bisphenol plasticizers in it.

I don't think any ice cube trays are made of polycarbonate so they won't have BPA or similar chemicals (a lot of other types of plastic are pointlessly labelled as BPA free when they never had it in the first place)

Other types of water bottles like soft LDPE bike water bottles or bottles made of translucent HDPE like most rubbermaid stuff also never had BPA in them.

mystes has a new favorite as of 22:42 on Sep 6, 2023

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

Ham Equity posted:

This is a longshot, but has anyone used an HDMI-to-multimode fiber connector? They're usually in a transmitter/receiver set. I need one for work, and it's hard to figure out what's good, and what's just drop-shipped garbage.

I might have said aja but they seem to just do single mode for HDMI. If you can adapt to SDI then they can provide that.

Otherwise give Theatrixx a look since they’re pretty good about whipping up any converter you might need.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Cobra Commander posted:

Might I suggest a tasteful silk kimono?

Not even joking, they are so drat comfy and breezy.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

LL Bean flannel bathrobe, imo

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Need a Pixel 6 Pro phone case that is practical but aesthetically not-garbage

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend a hose nozzle that won’t just totally suck and break?

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

tuyop posted:

Can anyone recommend a hose nozzle that won’t just totally suck and break?

Eley makes one that is practically bomb proof

https://www.eleyhosereels.com/products/garden-hose-spray-nozzle-sets?utm_source=yotpo&utm_medium=general&utm_campaign=general&ref=yotpo

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

null_pointer posted:

The aesthetics are subjective, but I’ve had a caseology vault since it came out, and it’s survived everything.

I just don’t recommend a lighter colour (for any phone case, it’s not a specific problem with this case) because they get dirty and gross.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

null_pointer posted:

I like the Spigen Liquid Air cases, I have them for my Pixel 7 and Pixel 4a.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Aw drat!

quote:

At this time, ELEY neither sells nor ships to these locations nor do we have any distribution outlets in these regions. Complicated and problematic government requirements prevent easy shipping to these locations, and we don't see a resolution to this any time soon. Regarding Canada, the only way to get ELEY products or parts is to buy them online with a USA shipping address near the border, where they can be retrieved by the buyer.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Does it really make a difference where you get prescription eyeglasses from?

The last time I got a new pair, I bought them from a Lens Crafters and they had some whole camera system they has you look at to determine whatever, they put a fake pair on you and had you sit it where you naturally have your glasses and marked off where your pupils were, etc etc. Does any of that actually make a difference vs like, just buying them online with the information from your prescription?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Once you have the pd distance you can get them wherever. In theory I guess the dots let them center the lenses themselves, but all those micro adjustments you can do to the nosepads and bridge and arms to make it fit comfortably will change where the lenses centred anyway. I've used zenni for well over a decade when I don't need same day service and have always been happy

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've used GlassesUSA several times now and have no regrets. Managed to score a fantastic deal where I was able to replace my daily wear glasses and the pair I keep in the car for about $50.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I've been quite happy with my glasses from Zenni optical. The faux-wood color is coming off on the plastic arms, but there's not any noticeable damage to the anti-glare coating despite me being a lazy butt who wipes them off on my shirt 99% of the time, and I've been wearing this same pair for the last couple of years, at least.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Looking for a battery-powered light that I can stick onto the wall or roof in my shower. Ideally would like one of those ones that can change colour for mood lighting or whatever. Having a hard time navigating the chum bucket that is online retail for a product like this. Any recommendations?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

thehoodie posted:

Looking for a battery-powered light that I can stick onto the wall or roof in my shower. Ideally would like one of those ones that can change colour for mood lighting or whatever. Having a hard time navigating the chum bucket that is online retail for a product like this. Any recommendations?

I use this and it’s been nice. But not too sure that this would work in a shower.

https://a.co/d/5aocqZU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

null_pointer posted:

I've always enjoyed the Spigen rugged armor cases:

https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Rugge...027974296&psc=1

Pretty slim and protective.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've been through a few cases for Pixel 6 Pro and Pixel 7 Pro cases. I keep coming back to the Spigen rugged Armor cases. They are nice and hold up well

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Sep 12, 2023

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I ended up getting the Caseology Vault, which feels good in my hand. Reasonably solid and nicely textured. Thank you for the recommendations!

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
any recommendations for shoe brands for wide feet? i had hemp shoes i really liked but it bust near the pinky toe. looking for a mix of walking shoes and something nicer

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

any recommendations for shoe brands for wide feet? i had hemp shoes i really liked but it bust near the pinky toe. looking for a mix of walking shoes and something nicer

New Balance for walking shoes, Hush Puppies for dressier shoes.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Merrell fits me well. Avoid Hoka, you'll feel like you were getting your first foot binding experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Crocs!