Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Thunderbirds are go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

a now deleted tweet i think idfk posted:

doctor: congrats on the baby! What are you going to name him

Newt Gingrich’s mom: newt gingrich

— reaghan (@reaghhan) November 9, 2019

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

mfer got a big rear end head

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The Demilich posted:

Sure bookburning may be detrimental to society at large, but some of those books being lit up are by Ayn Rand, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,
The only book I ever deliberately burned was a copy of Atlas Shrugged I found at a party at a communal house, with the permission of the probable owner of the book.

Only one person complained about what was about to happen, and they stopped when I showed them the cover. (They showed up late, I'd already made clear what book was going into the firepit)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

i'm a moderate on the question of bookburning. people literally glue books together and turn them into decorations, how is this any worst? sometimes things gotta burn

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Gutenberg ruined bookburning. It's not fun if there's a bunch of copies

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

i'm a moderate on the question of bookburning. people literally glue books together and turn them into decorations, how is this any worst? sometimes things gotta burn

i made a couple of those book safes with mod podge and i'll probably make more someday. i even made a couple with stacks of old magazines.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Mantis42 posted:

During covid where everyone was on zoom some company sold books by the foot to fill up the bookshelves behind you and make you look smart. You could even specify a genre like "give me 8 feet of science books"

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

looks like Rainn Wilson

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

is pepsi ok posted:

During covid where everyone was on zoom some company sold books by the foot to fill up the bookshelves behind you and make you look smart. You could even specify a genre like "give me 8 feet of science books"

That was probably a lucrative pivot by companies that already did that for theater+movie sets. But a smart play for sure

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/joycecaroloates/status/1704851887374074247?s=46&t=mzWS2vgSInnU9jlt8C3n_Q

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Pretty sure Zoom quickly added the ability to use custom backdrops, and everyone just started floating in space or lounging at the beach for free. Or just blurred out their actual background.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

In Training posted:

That was probably a lucrative pivot by companies that already did that for theater+movie sets. But a smart play for sure

Oh no there were already companies that did that for decorative purposes.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Paladinus posted:

Pretty sure Zoom quickly added the ability to use custom backdrops, and everyone just started floating in space or lounging at the beach for free. Or just blurred out their actual background.

i did my zoomies with a background of an interior shot of a sewer manhole taken from a boom camera

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Paladinus posted:

no they didnt

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Hatebag posted:

i did my zoomies with a background of an interior shot of a sewer manhole taken from a boom camera

a TMNT fan i see

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i may have to start doing video calls soon and trying to think of a backdrop. might go with the wsj osama compound diagram

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Oh no there were already companies that did that for decorative purposes.

I guess that makes sense for tasteless billionaires with huge compounds.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Paladinus posted:

virtual backgrounds requires a specific CPU (or GPU) instruction set that people might not have if their computer was older than maybe two or three years as of 2020

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
My background was a rainy anime street when I was in school for computer-touching, this showing myself as the dominant janitor

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

virtual backgrounds requires a specific CPU (or GPU) instruction set that people might not have if their computer was older than maybe two or three years as of 2020

lol wtf no

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Not really.
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360043484511-Zoom-Virtual-Background-system-requirements

If your PC can run Win7, it most likely supports virtual backgrounds.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Paladinus posted:

Not really.
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360043484511-Zoom-Virtual-Background-system-requirements

If your PC can run Win7, it most likely supports virtual backgrounds.

if you notice, the "Video without green screen" section is much more specific, because what it's looking for is AVX2 instructions. pre-Ryzen AMD CPUs wouldn't have had it, and pre-Haswell Intel CPUs wouldn't have, either

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

if you notice, the "Video without green screen" section is much more specific, because what it's looking for is AVX2 instructions. pre-Ryzen AMD CPUs wouldn't have had it, and pre-Haswell Intel CPUs wouldn't have, either

I don't think it's necessary to have a video of a bookshelf as your background. Bookshelves are normally fairly static.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Glad to see Heathcliff is on the right side in the Ukraine too

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
What's that flag in the person on the right?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

khmer rouge

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Ahhh should've known. Didnt realize that was Angkor Wat and not a flame or something. Thought it was Juche related at first.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Punkin Spunkin posted:

What's that flag in the person on the right?

thats the flag of the soviet union

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

is pepsi ok posted:

Before covid, a family member put "pretty books" on his wishlist. He clearly knew that interior design is about books, but he didn't care for reading, so he just wanted nice leather bound tomes.
Also I've seen bookcases sorted by colour irl. Also date of publication, but that's more weird than actually bad.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/_ridetheedge/status/1704559526177825226

Oh no, I'm turning into a warecoaster! Run!

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I think about this a lot https://twitter.com/shrekpissslave/status/1688186626667581440

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

That movie did such a good job of portraying middle of nowhere shitkicker texas.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Books by the foot has been around forever. Biggest customers have always been realtors staging homes for sale and tv/movie/staging sets, but there's always been a lucrative side business for selling to divorced guys who wanna look well read.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
You can tell a real reader by how much trash they own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

marketing curated steam collections for the loser gamers who want to look like they're into all the artsy provocative boring indie games