Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gort posted:

How are the bots? Do they do mission objectives, or do they just fight?

They carry bags you throw at them and will revive you if you're downed. that's about it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Matchmaking seems down and I don't seem to be able to just create a game with bots without going through it?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

explosivo posted:

They carry bags you throw at them and will revive you if you're downed. that's about it though.

They're not bad at shooting cops either, it's not like other games where they mostly just shoot at the air. It takes them a while since they go for body shots but they can reliably take down shields and such.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Remake thread? Rename thread? Almost reached 500 bags o cash

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Atoramos posted:

Matchmaking seems down and I don't seem to be able to just create a game with bots without going through it?

Still down for me as well lol. I've had the game since the minute it launched and haven't been able to play it yet.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 21, 2023

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Welp, looks like I cant play solo without subscribing to PS+, which doesnt matter anyway since apparently it plays through a server, meaning my abysmal upload speed will ping me to oblivion
IN loving SOLO

YET ANOTHER GREAT loving PURCHASE XJAKK YOU GODDAMNED IDIOT

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Well this certainly isn't Play Day One, is it? :v:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Managed to finish the tutorials, I like the changes, especially to casing. Shame I can’t get a game going on Xbox.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Welp can't get into a match, looks like it's BG3 for me!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

In the meantime does anyone know why literally any lethal action causes a noticable stutter on PC and what can be done to fix it? This includes shooting a cop, or a barrel that a cop is next to. Runs smooth otherwise.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Boy, this game sure is turbofucked atm

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Me and the buddies got a single game and it was fun. Now it’s broken trying again.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
So just like Payday 2's launch? :V

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Croccers posted:

So just like Payday 2's launch? :V

You could at least play solo, offline in Payday 2 which is not a thing in PD3.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

explosivo posted:

You could at least play solo, offline in Payday 2 which is not a thing in PD3.

What gets me is that the login and inventory servers are perfectly fine. It's only the matchmaking server, and solo mode would take care of that instantly.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:stare:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I'm not sure that its unexpected demand. If you look at the steam charts Payday 2 peaks at roughly 40k players for the last 3 months. Payday 3 peaked at around 80k on steam. A little under but close enough. Its not like there were 2 million people trying to find a match at the same time. Epic and console stats aren't part of the steam charts, obviously. But just on steam there were no crazy numbers. The beta peaked around 35k and I had no issue finding games. If steam charts are to be believed and so on. There might be something seriously hosed with the matchmaking rather than they tried to go cheap on day and week 1.

For what its worth I don't want to play payday 3 solo. It was useful in payday 2 to learn how to stealth some maps without messing with people but yeah. If the option was solo payday 3 or play another game I pick another game so the online only doesn't bother me.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Do you still have to play with randoms like in the beta? Or can you have a private match that is just you and a buddy with the other slots filled by AI?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Goofballs posted:

I'm not sure that its unexpected demand. If you look at the steam charts Payday 2 peaks at roughly 40k players for the last 3 months. Payday 3 peaked at around 80k on steam. A little under but close enough. Its not like there were 2 million people trying to find a match at the same time. Epic and console stats aren't part of the steam charts, obviously. But just on steam there were no crazy numbers. The beta peaked around 35k and I had no issue finding games. If steam charts are to be believed and so on. There might be something seriously hosed with the matchmaking rather than they tried to go cheap on day and week 1.

For what its worth I don't want to play payday 3 solo. It was useful in payday 2 to learn how to stealth some maps without messing with people but yeah. If the option was solo payday 3 or play another game I pick another game so the online only doesn't bother me.

pretty sure it's this, and they were very public that the earliest patch they were expecting was in October.

I'm sure whatever's actually the issue will be fixed in the next 48h but it's a bad look for sure

I don't really care about a lack of crimenet, though a basic server browser should exist and doesn't. Having to do challenges to get XP does seem to be an actual dumb move, but I haven't gotten to play at all. Seeing a lot of complaints about stuff like UI making it impossible to know what anyone else is carrying, and complete lack of chat or stealth/loud matchmaking filter and yea, a lot of this does seem a big step back in terms of basic functionality. Each weapon has its own leveling track? Hate that in games.

Guessing it'll still be fun with some friends playing together in Discord but man these are pretty simple things to gently caress up.

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Do you still have to play with randoms like in the beta? Or can you have a private match that is just you and a buddy with the other slots filled by AI?

well right now you can't play at all, so.... but just like in the beta it looks like there's party functionality baked into the UI (it wasn't working in beta, no idea if it's working now)

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 22, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

You can definitely fill with AI, the two matches I managed with friends we had a single AI fill in. We tried to get a third match but it seemed to really conk out after the second. We gave up after about a full hour.

If you're really desperate leave the matchmaking on and listen to it while you do other things, thats what we did.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Down to 47 now and dropping. What a bollocks'd up launch this was.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Look, guys, it's impossible to test this stuff, or estimate demand, or even ensure things keep working from the preorder-launch to regular launch. This is impossible tech and no studio has ever figured it out.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm kind of impressed, I've had this game running in the background for most of the last ~10 hours and I still haven't got matchmade even once without getting a generic matchmaking error afterward.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Atoramos posted:

Each weapon has its own leveling track? Hate that in games.

I'm surprised to see this as a negative because to me this is a huge improvement over how it was in PD2, which were essentially lootboxes that you occasionally got mods out of. Yeah you can remove and reapply them but you can kit out a gun fairly well in PD3 in a handful of heists.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm surprised to see this as a negative because to me this is a huge improvement over how it was in PD2, which were essentially lootboxes that you occasionally got mods out of. Yeah you can remove and reapply them but you can kit out a gun fairly well in PD3 in a handful of heists.

Ah I have no perspective on how long it takes to make a weapon playable, as I've yet to be able to play PD3. The last game I encountered this in was Battlebit, and at the time it made it very hard to use a new gun.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

I don't wish to constantly disagree with you, but the really powerful stuff - barrels/stocks/bigger mags are level 15+ on the weapon. And the problem is that the game encourages you to use a bunch of different weapons to get your account level up (which unlocks more weapons, etc) with the ease of getting weapon cheevos for new weapons.

Some of the low level stuff is helpful for sure - sights particularly, and the first silencer you get for quiet heists. The rest of it is pretty marginal or side grades.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Atoramos posted:

Ah I have no perspective on how long it takes to make a weapon playable, as I've yet to be able to play PD3. The last game I encountered this in was Battlebit, and at the time it made it very hard to use a new gun.

It generally takes one heist to get a scope and after that you're going to be unlocking parts faster than you will be unlocking new guns, so it's not that big of a deal. Aside from bad iron sights the guns are "playable" from the start.

Legit Businessman posted:

I don't wish to constantly disagree with you, but the really powerful stuff - barrels/stocks/bigger mags are level 15+ on the weapon. And the problem is that the game encourages you to use a bunch of different weapons to get your account level up (which unlocks more weapons, etc) with the ease of getting weapon cheevos for new weapons.

Some of the low level stuff is helpful for sure - sights particularly, and the first silencer you get for quiet heists. The rest of it is pretty marginal or side grades.

Sure, and in a vacuum it would have been better to just be able to buy mods with cash up front, but like I said compared to lootboxes where you have to just kind of hope that you got a silencer or barrel mod after a match and then broke your keyboard when it was another mask color instead it's a pretty big improvement. Shifting from chance to a planned pathway is better overall, and it's a pretty normal mechanic in most shooters.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 22, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the weapon mod grind in pd2 was loving awful for multiple reasons so having a deterministic upgrade path for it is a big upgrade imho

that said these launch problems sound pretty dire, i'll hold off on the game until those stabilize i think

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I have no opinion on the new weapon system because I still haven’t been able to play :smith:

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I like the new system better. I've already got a gaudy tacticool reinfeld and bronco after a few hours

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

I've played a lot of games on release day and had a lot of bad experiences see: most of Blizzard's releases

this is honestly one of the worst releases. On the PC anyways, I haven't been able to matchmake a single game despite repeatedly trying since launch.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I thought it might actually work later in the evening with fewer people playing but nope, still can't matchmake. But somehow still 16k players online on Steam :confused:

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

Good news is I'm no longer stuck in matchmaking. Bad news is that it's because I can't even log in.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Elendil004 posted:

Look, guys, it's impossible to test this stuff, or estimate demand, or even ensure things keep working from the preorder-launch to regular launch. This is impossible tech and no studio has ever figured it out.

TBH the funny part is that they did test it.

Anyway feeling vindicated on my continued "don't buy games on release" stance. I've done that once in the last 4 years and I regretted it enormously.

I don't regret playing Deltarune on release but it was free so that technically didn't buy it.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Legitimately is anyone actually getting in? We have a full four stack and have been sitting on matchmaking for hours. We're just playing geoguesser to pass the time haha.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Coolguye posted:

the weapon mod grind in pd2 was loving awful for multiple reasons so having a deterministic upgrade path for it is a big upgrade imho

that said these launch problems sound pretty dire, i'll hold off on the game until those stabilize i think

Gage weapon...thingys in the level and continental coins did a lot to ameliorate the randomness of the end of heist card system. The card system by itself was absolute dogshit, agreed.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Legit Businessman posted:

Gage weapon...thingys in the level and continental coins did a lot to ameliorate the randomness of the end of heist card system. The card system by itself was absolute dogshit, agreed.

One of my favorite moments in all of game design history was that the card system was supposed to make the game 'more like dark souls' by adding completely arbitrary randomness to it.

You know, totally arbitrary gambling, a very common part of the dark souls experience lmao

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
gage packages were also complete dogshit because they padded out otherwise normal heists with loving pixel hunting

the fact that they were less dogshit than the card system only emphasizes how truly beastly the card system was.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
The news surrounding the release is really discouraging. I really wanna click cops but I think I'll wait until the game stabilizes some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

:siren: holy poo poo matchmaking works right now and only takes a few minutes