Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

A lot of the movies from the early 90's have that weird 80's runoff aesthetic that I think gives them a pretty unique look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

New horror movie idea, unkillable teen vs undead slasher

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Lumbermouth posted:

This is in addition to the High School Horror collection and all the Hong Kong hopping vampire movies that Criterion added in September

Legitimately Criterion and Screambox have both done more to impress me this year in terms of horror than Shudder has

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Crescent Wrench posted:

I haven't seen:

FRANKENHOOKER, Frank Henenlotter, 1990
BODY PARTS, Eric Red, 1991
THE RAPTURE, Michael Tolkin, 1991
DUST DEVIL, Richard Stanley, 1992
WHEN A STRANGER CALLS BACK, Fred Walton, 1993

Anyone want to make a pitch for me to try to squeeze any of these in during October?

Frankenhooker is excellent, I wouldn't say it's Frank Henenlotter's best movie but I would say it's his funniest. Total blast.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, Frankenhooker is far from a masterpiece, but it's just some pure Henenlotter-rear end Henenlotter. Which means it's still very good.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
The people have spoken. And why not? I enjoyed Basket Case and Brain Damage, so I'm definitely up for more weird, perverted Frank Henelotter poo poo. On the list it goes.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Snooze Cruise posted:

I watched Evil Dead Trap and Evil Dead Trap 2. I liked both but 2 was the stand out for me.

There is some cultural stuff that is lost in translation here. Mizuko is a Japanese term for aborted and miscarried babies. There is a Buddhist ritual called Mizuko Kuyo that serves as a memorial service for them. It can be a way to deal with grief or guilt, but also fend off the ghosts of angry fetuses. When abortions became more prevalent and popular in japan, this ritual did as well. You could go to a temple, pay a fee, and they would provide and display a Jizo statue. In the 80s you could read a magazine telling some scary stories about real life Mizuko attacks, and you can see where this is going, and find advertisements for temples that would provide this service.

Anyway my read is the Mizuko ultimately feels incidental to the killings? Its a supernatural catalyst but Aki and Emi's weird relationship and how they feed into each other feels like the real core to what is going on. Aki wants to be desire and loved but doesn't let herself be upfront about it, wishes she could be like Emi who this is natural to. Emi on the other hand wants to use Aki to fufil what she got out of her idol career, a sense of superiority over those who want to be her. Neither ever really get what they want out of the other. Every time Aki kills its when she emulates Aki. They remotely have sexual experiences with each other. Emi seeks to get what she wants from Aki by using glasses creep. But Aki's killings end up robbing Emi of this superiority since she ends up getting off on them. In the end its Emi who begins to emulate Aki by becoming a killer.

The Mizuko seems to be just taking advantage of this toxic dynamic to be reborn. Also feels representative of how Aki's desire to be loved is undercut by her refusal to love others. Which is weird in a sense that it suggests "hey ladies if you want to be loved, don't abort your babies" but it also ties into the Emi stuff again since she never love her in the way she wanted. I dunno, interesting movie.

That makes sense. I definitely need to give it a rewatch at some point

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Looking at my list of movies I've rated 4 stars and above alone you have Perfect Blue, Wild Zero, Audition, Misery, Nightbreed, Fire Walk With Me, The Blair Witch Project, Lost Highway, From Dusk Til Dawn, Curse, Darkman, The People Under The Stairs, Tammy & The T-Rex, and Scream, with way more just under that I'd still consider fun and memorable and worth watching. For all the guff the decade gets I really think that when it hit, it delivered. Of course, two of those are restored or director's cuts, but still.

These movies may be good, and they may be made in the 90's, but you can't have a 90's brand movie without a morph. Wishmaster, Hellraiser 3, Sleepwalkers, Lawnmower Man, Freddy's Dead and one of the Puppet Master sequels are proper 90's horror. If you don't have a morph you can still be 90's horror if you include at least one ghost who shakes their head back and forth real quick or if a sequel in your franchise goes To The City followed by a sequel that goes To Space.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The 90s just kind of seems kind of meh when compared to the previous decade. On the whole its a pretty decent decade for horror.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

I remember watching Frankenhooker at a friend's house in high school in the early 90s, but the strongest memory I have of the film was the box at the video store that had a button you'd push on it and it would play her lines from the movie.

Interactive video boxes were such a neat little thing back then.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Bruteman posted:

I remember watching Frankenhooker at a friend's house in high school in the early 90s, but the strongest memory I have of the film was the box at the video store that had a button you'd push on it and it would play her lines from the movie.

I remember this!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

add RAVENOUS to that excellent shortlist, unreal movie

Knowing that both Antonia Byrd and Guy Pearce were vegetarians when they made that movie makes it so much better, especially the celebration/medal ceremony scene at the beginning.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 22, 2023

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hell yeah the local independent cinema is doing TERRIFIER 2 end of this month as part of their monthly cult horror series. big screen art

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah November 1st they’re doing another screening for it. I’ll go. I doubt I’ll have a great as a crowd tho

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Chris James 2 posted:

Legitimately Criterion and Screambox have both done more to impress me this year in terms of horror than Shudder has

Yeah I regret doing a year subscription for Shudder; it’s been pretty mediocre this year

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Shudder is at a cheap enough price point that I don't really mind paying for it even though I very rarely use it.

I've mostly been sticking to Tubi because they got some real deep cuts on there and there's a absolute shitload of horror on there that I can usually find something.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I similarly don't use Shudder a lot, but I keep paying for it out of principle. If it were pricier, I might have some heartburn, but I'm OK tossing money on it for the random banger they seem to produce now and again. And for new seasons of Creepshow. It's not like paying for something like Disney+ where I'm just tossing money at some huge corporation, Shudder feels a lot more DIY than its competitors.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The price point of 6 bucks makes it fine to just totally ignore.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I do those Google rewards survey things and I pretty much pay for Shudder by lying on those surveys.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hollismason posted:

The price point of 6 bucks makes it fine to just totally ignore.

Not if your broke and that 6 bucks could be dinner

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Bruteman posted:

I remember the box we had at Blockbuster. It started with 'Wanna date?', but got played with so much the battery wore down to it saying 'Rawr..rah...rawr?'

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/scottwamplerrip/status/1705052011564007759?s=46
https://twitter.com/ScottWamplerRIP/status/1705053168168489275?s=20

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

New horror movie idea, unkillable teen vs undead slasher

Bring back Hayden Panettierre's Heroes character to go up against Michael Myers and Jason

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:hellyeah: I'm so glad they got it right. The Letterboxd reviews so far are all people stunned at how much love for Troma shows in this

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Came across these while doing my trailer watch prepwork. Jester started in short films, nice to see they're doing a feature film with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IgQpRyfwbE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPwf19i4RWU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RM_8ra471Y https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gq-Jp0Zmu4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osLpcMMJfek https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJCgndo_9Lw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw22NJTWW-k https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHgt3TnswH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3s7uCRNwIg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t53vPI3jqPk

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
No One Will Save You is a banger

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Can’t wait. Watching it tomorrow night with the roommates and hot wings

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
No One Will Save You was a good drat movie. Really amazing sound design. Darn good and creepy horror. I can't wait to talk about the ending. I guess I could put it in spoilers. So definitely don't read the next bit.

Seriously don't read this unless you've seen the whole thing.

Didn't see that coming. She basically gets to be herself in an environment where they've created a perfect world. I guess they think she's perfect as is?

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 22, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
When are we going to get a actual trailer for The Toxic Avenger.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

And yes I'm excited for all of these btw :getin: :woop: I'll never see the haters' posts. Saw X been my most-looked-forward-to non-Barbie film all year, Exorcist and KotFM close behind

never fuckin ever doubted :rubby: :getin: :woop:

https://twitter.com/ViewerAnon/status/1704967489027977272
https://twitter.com/ViewerAnon/status/1704972022642876826

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
To be fair I don't think anybody was worried it would be bad.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Oof, I’ve been making my way through the Saw franchise and “top 3” is not the endorsement they think it is

“Far and away the best of the series!!!” would make me excited to watch it

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Cobweb loving ruled. Big Malignant energy.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Deadite posted:

Oof, I’ve been making my way through the Saw franchise and “top 3” is not the endorsement they think it is

Hostel 3 is definitely one of my top three Hostel movies.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
What are the top 3 Saw movies?

According to Rotten Tomatoes, the top three are:

Saw
Saw VI
and then Saw II tied with Spiral

So Saw X: Better than Spiral!

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Deadite posted:

What are the top 3 Saw movies?

According to Rotten Tomatoes, the top three are:

Saw
Saw VI
and then Saw II tied with Spiral

So Saw X: Better than Spiral!

I liked Spiral just fine, so hearing that the new one is considered even better is good to hear. Weirdly, though, I'm a bit miffed that they're just going back to the Tobin Bell Well here; I was hopeful that Spiral was a sign that the series was gonna move away from the John Kramer stuff and start getting weird with the usual signs and signifiers that it had been leaning on to this point, like Billy the Puppet and the pig mask and all that.

Oh, also, top 3 from the series ranking goes 1, 6, 3, in that order.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'll go to bat for at least five of them being good. I'd say the first three are perfect, after that it's splitting hairs on ones I like to varying degrees (outside of the last half hour of 3D which I love. Shame about everything before it though). Only ones I really don't like and don't bother rewatching unless it's for completionist/marathon sake are 5 and Jigsaw

Saw: great franchise, only not my fav because Chucky and Evil Dead also exist with at least as many solid entries and without any bad ones

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I've enjoyed them all with the exception of Spiral, so if this one is a return to form at least somewhat then I'm sure I'll like it. Chris Rock ruined Spiral for me.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm watching Texas Chainsaw (2013) for the first time and this movie is insanely frustrating, because there's clearly seeds of an interesting idea here and there, but then the rest of it is just mediocre trash. Like, a decades-later sequel starting immediately after the first movie? Reusing the footage? I love that poo poo. The first five minutes following the logic of 'what would have happened right after the movie ended'? Hell yeah. But then Alexandra Daddario and a boring cast of characters show up and just sorta fumble their way into redneck horror. poo poo's goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Spiral is a very funny movie