Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

can't find any CVS or Walgreens locations that are vaccinating <5s and have bookable slots anywhere in greater boston.

pediatrician's office isn't doing covid shots, but they sure are blasting us with "time to get your flu shot" emails. lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

icantfindaname posted:

Does tau show up in an mri or ct scan or do you have to do an autopsy basically?

fMRI if I remember right

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

good news the paxlovid garbage mouth thing mostly went away (or maybe I can’t taste to smell anymore ??) now I only have crushing fatigue and a runny nose. progress :)

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

euphronius posted:

good news the paxlovid garbage mouth thing mostly went away (or maybe I can’t taste to smell anymore ??) now I only have crushing fatigue and a runny nose. progress :)

seems pretty common that the pax taste gets much weaker after day 1 or so. good luck :')

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://news.gallup.com/poll/511217/americans-covid-concerns-rise-restrained.aspx

Somewhat interesting.

Gallup posted:

Thirty percent of Americans now say the pandemic is getting worse. This is up sharply from 5% in Gallup’s prior measure in late May/early June, and 8% in February, and is the highest rate of pessimism about the pandemic measured in over a year, since July 2022. Pessimism still isn’t close to the overwhelmingly negative outlook seen in 2020, however, when as many as 73% said the pandemic was worsening.

As has been the case consistently since the start of 2022, the largest share of adults, currently 41%, believe the coronavirus situation is improving, while a steady 30% say it’s staying the same.

Gallup posted:

About one in four Americans also now say they are either “very” (4%) or “somewhat” (23%) worried that they will get the coronavirus, while 36% are “not too worried” and 37% “not worried at all.”

The 27% worried at least somewhat is up from 18% in May/June but is essentially back to where it was in February. It is also less than half the peak level of worry recorded during the pandemic in 2020, when as many as 59% were worried.

Gallup posted:

All party groups are more likely now than in May/June to say the coronavirus situation is getting worse, but Democrats have grown particularly negative about the trajectory. The percentage of Democrats who believe the situation is worsening has jumped 38 percentage points this quarter, from 6% in May/June to 44% in September. This contrasts with a 17-point increase among independents, to 22%, and a 13-point increase among Republicans, to 16%.

Meanwhile, the smaller changes seen this quarter in Americans’ concern about getting the coronavirus and belief the pandemic is over can be attributed mainly to Democrats.

* Worry about contracting the coronavirus increased from 26% to 41% among Democrats, while it was statistically unchanged among independents (with 23% currently concerned) and Republicans (11%).
* The percentage of Democrats who think the pandemic is over fell 16 points, from 51% last quarter to 35% today. This compares with seven- to eight-point declines among independents (57% of whom still believe it’s over) and Republicans (77%).

At the same time, consistent with the stability in the national trends, Democrats are no more likely now than in May/June to say their life has returned to normal.

There's some data on mask use toward the bottom, too:

Gallup posted:

Slightly more than half of U.S. adults, 55%, report they never wear a mask outside the home, while 45% do so to some extent. Of the latter, just 6% say they always or very often wear one, and another 11% sometimes do, while 28% say it’s a rare occurrence.

While few adults, regardless of party, say they always wear a mask today, the percentage wearing one at least sometimes is much higher among Democrats (25%) than among independents (15%) or Republicans (6%).

The new poll probed those who ever wear masks for their reasons, finding just under half saying they do so to protect themselves from exposure to COVID-19:

* 13% say they are immunocompromised and protecting themselves from COVID-19.
* 35% say they are not immunocompromised but wear masks for protection anyway.

Insanite has issued a correction as of 21:15 on Sep 21, 2023

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

fosborb posted:

now with pictures!

What happened in 2020??

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 370 days!

Zugzwang posted:

What happened in 2020??

that was the year joe brandon defeated covid

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1321942639109918720?t=wA8PiVh-cR_KFsazirek_g&s=19
e: lmao of course that link doesnt work

tenderjerk has issued a correction as of 21:20 on Sep 21, 2023

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
we did it, joe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

What I get from that is that the majority of Americans think that the pandemic is just lingering or getting worse

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

What I get from that is that the majority of Americans think that the pandemic is just lingering or getting worse

Sure, but a larger majority think that the pandemic is just lingering or getting better.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Replacement excess death trackers?

Saw this one recommended, looks like she is pulling data from NCHS and not wonder though, so I think its going to go down. The wonder system looks like a gigantic pain in the rear end.

https://iowacovid19tracker.org/nationwide-death-data/

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
slut juice on board in my left tricep, I can feel renewed titers coursing outward

actual flu shot in there as well. immune cells gonna be workin overtime tonight

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Baddog posted:

Replacement excess death trackers?

Saw this one recommended, looks like she is pulling data from NCHS and not wonder though, so I think its going to go down. The wonder system looks like a gigantic pain in the rear end.

https://iowacovid19tracker.org/nationwide-death-data/

from the CDC note, the underlying data should still be available and live, so third party trackers should still be able to connect to it

python devs stay winning (employed as federal contractors without benefits)

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Cracked into my case of splash resistant vflex masks and I'm getting a tiny bit of collapse when inhaling which normal vflex's never did for me. Anyone else notice this?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The lockdowns were one of the greatest public health successes of the 21st century, saving millions of lives. But no politician will say this because it'll kill their re-election chances. The policies surrounding the lockdowns were also one of the largest upward wealth transfers in history. The inability to talk frankly about this is creating a vacuum that's being filled by the belief that covid wasn't a big deal, and that it was going to go away on its own if we hadn't reacted to it.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Oracle posted:

buy her an account

Our doc knows of my COVID-aware refuges exist! Had to explain how I already had my own CO2 monitor handy while she's telling me about seeing Aranet's online. She's got some posting skills too, crossed paths on social media making GBS threads on local government stuff related to infection controls. But I don't think she's had her first crack-ping yet, she's far too terrified of the future to find any humor in it.

I'm still spreading the gospel of Only Your Respirator Trust elsewhere, too. One of my co-workers confided today she's been badly sick twice in the past 4 weeks and kinda regrets her vacation flight which clearly got her the 2nd time. I turned on my work camera and brandished my 3M Secure Click, talked N95s if you want to be less conspicuous in public, and lastly Betadine nasal spray if you have to go maskless for stupid social reasons.

Calde has issued a correction as of 23:23 on Sep 21, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
have tools, will travel (to places it's profitable to sell tools)

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

A walgreens participating in the Bridge Access Program tried to charge me $182.99 for a covid shot.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/rplerias/status/1704918485149573586?s=46

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Saagonsa posted:

A walgreens participating in the Bridge Access Program tried to charge me $182.99 for a covid shot.

A bridge too far.

I was initially signed up for a covid shot and a flu shot, but apparently Walgreens doesn't take my insurance (?) and they wanted to change me $70 for it. And I'm sure this is a thing that has happened to everybody before but it's just loving unbelievable, really. The biggest pharmacy in the country can just go, "nah, we don't do this" and that's just considered normal. gently caress this dumb country.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

yoloer420 posted:

I've been looking into this more and it seems there has been some success using a modified open source colorimeter to obtain results from a PCR test. It is also used unmodified in this kit/course. It is surprising that there is no shortage of open source/diy PCR projects which only address the thermocycler component of the process. I'm not sure what that's about.

Is there some sort of wide spread use of PCR where you wouldn't need some sort of equipment beyond the thermocycler? I'm still struggling to understand why there are a hundred different open source thermocyclers and not a hundred projects to measure fluorescence.
The second link you shared included options for a gel electrophoresis setup that costs a few hundred bucks. That's what you'd use to determine the result if you weren't taking images during the reaction. When I mentioned earlier that you can open the PCR tube post-reaction and determine the sizes of the DNA in there to see if you made your expected product, you'd do that (most likely) with gel electrophoresis. Advantage is that it requires no dyes during the reaction or optics, disadvantage is that it's a whole nother step you have to go through. It is also the likeliest way to contaminate your lab and have problems with false positives, because if any of the zillions of copies of DNA you made in This Reaction make it into The Next Reaction, it'll show up as a positive reaction result. Care needs to be taken to avoid this.

As for colorimetry vs fluorescence and why the former seems more common in DIY settings, the optics are pretty simple, and cheap, for colorimetry. Not so for fluorescence.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
going home for christmas means i should time my booster for how far ahead?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Soap Scum posted:

seems pretty common that the pax taste gets much weaker after day 1 or so. good luck :')

Mine came back after every dose. Oh well, I'm done with it now and just hoping for no rebound. First test 12h after finishing thr last dose is negative so hopefully that continues. Also, my wife was actually able to get a PCR test nearby, covered by insurance and with results in less than a day.

Meanwhile, work is canceling extracurricular social events and encouraging people to wear masks when it's crowded.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Oh figured I should update that as far as I can tell my kid didn't have covid, no other symptoms but congestion ever manifested, I tested her with 3 expired luciras (by about a month) and 2 in-date luciras, all negative. The expired ones a day after I noticed her symptom and the in-date ones 2 days after. With her likely exposure having been 4-5 days prior at that point. I did have HEPAs running, spray up my nose, and masked up until the final negative test. At that point I unmasked and it's been 5 days now and I don't have anything going on with covid. Ideally I should have kept masking at least until my vaccine appointment for perfection but TBH it's exhausting to mask in your own home non-stop.

Anyway she hates the nasal swabbing so much that I'm debating buying the Aptitude Metrix saliva tests for one bajillion dollars.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 370 days!

so we have to swab our poo poo now ?

gotta remember to do nose and mouth first

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Few months ago it was shared here that someone was verified reinfected after just 19 days.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

tenderjerk posted:

so we have to swab our poo poo now ?

gotta remember to do nose and mouth first

some goon swabbed his rear end a while ago abd it was negative. we will need further testing

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

helsabot posted:

going home for christmas means i should time my booster for how far ahead?

If you have any level of exposure right now, waiting is probably not a great call.

That said, going by earlier boosters you are pretty set after ~2 weeks and cap out after ~4 weeks. How this relates to the updated vaccines no one knows :shrug:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/daliahasanmd/status/1704819381488738590?s=46

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Substantial drop in the efficiency of Paxlovid at preventing hospitalization, relative to initial results, possibly due to vaccinations and prior infections reducing inherent risk. Hopefully not because of differences between variants (as the author alternatively suggests).
"Nirmatrelvir or Molnupiravir Use and Severe Outcomes From Omicron Infections"

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2809779 posted:

(..)
Abstract
Importance Ritonavir-boosted nirmatrelvir and molnupiravir are currently used in the US and in other countries to treat nonhospitalized patients who have mild-to-moderate COVID-19 and who are at high risk for progression to severe disease. The associations of these 2 oral antiviral drugs with hospitalization and death resulting from infection with new SARS-CoV-2 Omicron subvariants, particularly BQ.1.1 and XBB.1.5, are unknown.

Objective To assess the association of nirmatrelvir or molnupiravir use with the risks of hospitalization and death among patients infected with new Omicron subvariants.

Design, Setting, and Participants This was a cohort study of patients who received a diagnosis of COVID-19 at Cleveland Clinic from April 1, 2022, to February 20, 2023 (during which the Omicron variant evolved from BA.2 to BA.4/BA.5, then to BQ.1/BQ.1.1, and finally to XBB/XBB.1.5) and who were at high risk of progressing to severe disease, with follow-up through 90 days after diagnosis. The final date for follow-up data collection was February 27, 2023.

Exposures Treatment with ritonavir-boosted nirmatrelvir or molnupiravir.

Main Outcomes and Measures The primary outcome was time to death. The secondary outcome was time to either hospitalization or death. The association of either nirmatrelvir or molnupiravir use with each outcome was measured by the hazard ratio (HR) adjusted for demographic factors, socioeconomic status, date of COVID-19 diagnosis, coexisting medical conditions, COVID-19 vaccination status, and previous SARS-CoV-2 infection.

Results There were 68 867 patients (29 386 [42.7%] aged ≥65 years; 26 755 [38.9%] male patients; 51 452 [74.7%] non-Hispanic White patients). Thirty of 22 594 patients treated with nirmatrelvir, 27 of 5311 patients treated with molnupiravir, and 588 of 40 962 patients who received no treatment died within 90 days of Omicron infection. The adjusted HRs of death were 0.16 (95% CI, 0.11-0.23) for nirmatrelvir and 0.23 (95% CI, 0.16-0.34) for molnupiravir. The adjusted HRs of hospitalization or death were 0.63 (95% CI, 0.59-0.68) for nirmatrelvir and 0.59 (95% CI, 0.53-0.66) for molnupiravir. The associations of both drugs with both outcomes were observed across subgroups defined by age, race and ethnicity, date of COVID-19 diagnosis, vaccination status, previous infection status, and coexisting conditions.

Conclusions and Relevance These findings suggest that the use of either nirmatrelvir or molnupiravir is associated with reductions in mortality and hospitalization in patients infected with Omicron, regardless of age, race and ethnicity, virus strain, vaccination status, previous infection status, or coexisting conditions. Both drugs can, therefore, be used to treat nonhospitalized patients who are at high risk of progressing to severe COVID-19.

Article on the matter:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/willsk...eventing-death/ posted:

Covid Drug Paxlovid Now Less Effective Than In Early Trials—But It’s Still Great At Preventing Death

Paxlovid—Pfizer’s antiviral Covid-19 treatment—is 37% effective at preventing hospitalization or death in high-risk patients compared with no treatment, according to a study published Thursday in the JAMA Network Open, well below the 88% effectiveness rate Pfizer and regulators reported in clinical trials in 2021—though it remains very effective at staving off death.
(..)
WHAT WE DON’T KNOW
Why the effectiveness has fallen. The study authors noted the clinical trials were conducted among unvaccinated patients who had limited natural immunity, whereas this study was conducted in a real-world population including vaccinated and previously infected patients who had some other defenses against the coronavirus. They also noted the original clinical studies were completed when the Delta variant was the most common strain of the virus while their study was conducted when the Omicron variant was, suggesting that the drug could work differently with different strains.
(..)

Though molnupiravir's effectiveness holding up (iirc, it was the ~same as here) offhand suggests it is a variant difference, this could alternatively be down to differences in when and to whom each one is prescribed.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 03:09 on Sep 22, 2023

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

puncturewound78 posted:

Few months ago it was shared here that someone was verified reinfected after just 19 days.

And lets not forget that last July, Australia revised the COVID reinfection period from 12 weeks to 4 weeks.

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

Bastard Tetris posted:

fMRI if I remember right

Unless someone has done something very crazy in my field, I don't think a functional scan will show something. There may be a PET thing that will bind and glow with for tau, but that's not my field.

In the past I think it's definitely been a post mortem thing - you strain the tissue ( that is, you bathe thin brain slices with something that sticks to tau proteins) and this stain can be seen/glows, etc.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Quanterix has a digital ELISA that can detect Tau in blood/CSF. Not sure if anybody else does

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Kiddo tested positive tonight with BinaxNOW rapid. We're not even a month into school. We are a small street and already had one case earlier this week, as well as strep, infections, etc. Seems like illness in general is worse this year. Don't panic!

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Koirhor posted:

covid causing infertility is actually a silver lining when you consider humanity’s deeds as a whole

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

another one deliberately saying lovely edgelord things to get banned because they're too loving lazy to keep track of their alt accounts tired of posting I guess

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

another one deliberately saying lovely edgelord things to get banned because they're too loving lazy to keep track of their alt accounts tired of posting I guess

There is no causal link between infertility and COVID being stored in the balls

Zugzwang posted:

Quanterix has a digital ELISA that can detect Tau in blood/CSF. Not sure if anybody else does

I bet it was this, especially around 2017 or so when I worked on Alzheimer's poo poo

Bastard Tetris has issued a correction as of 04:49 on Sep 22, 2023

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Walgreens COVID Vaccination Signup Trip report

logged into my Walgreens account to get a vaccination appointment. no where in the account actions is there a way to make this appointment. there is, however, section of the "your health" display that shows what vaccinations are "recommended for you." The recommended vaccinations are: flu, Hepatitis A/B combination, and whooping cough.

Thankfully, the walgreens homepage has a link to a "schedule vaccination appointments" feature. After entering in information that I know Walgreens already has, I am shown what seem to be the top 5 recommended vaccinations with more hidden below a dropdown. The recommended vaccinations are in this order: flu, COVID-19, pneumonia, shingles, and whooping cough. to keep things easy I pick only the COVID option.

If I want to get the vaccination in September, the only day available is September 28th at a Walgreens 13 miles from my home. The next available day is October 3rd at a Walgreens 14 miles from my house. I live within five miles of four Walgreens none of which were available.

Exactly one minute after I close the browser after not making an appointment, Walgreens sends me a text message reading "Keep on your journey to good health. Finish scheduling your appointment today!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Surgical masks are so passé.

Pingui posted:

Though molnupiravir's effectiveness holding up (iirc, it was the ~same as here) offhand suggests it is a variant difference, this could alternatively be down to differences in when and to whom each one is prescribed.

My first thought is that people getting Molnupiravir were probably shunted to it because they are on serious interacting medications for chronic conditions, and thus had more to gain from any antiviral.

One of the studies out of Hong Kong avoided this pitfall by only looking at patients who were eligible for Paxlovid but were nonetheless treated with Molnupiravir.