Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Serephina posted:

You've probably played a lot of Noita then?

edit: Not a RL, but Arx Fatalis did a bunch of spell-building.

I've actually played Arx Fatalis and liked it, but Blitz inputs for spells are just an abstraction layer of "choose Firaga from the menu". It is certainly much more immersive, though.

Noita's wand algebra gets close to what I'm looking for but doesn't quite get there.

e: Magicka was a great 2 weeks of fun but unfortunately doesn't have the depth I'm looking for, which is why I'm now investigating roguelikes. I think it's pretty much the only genre that has the capability to go full grognard with in-depth magic.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Arx Fatalis' magic system is loving amazing, both in the way you cast it by actually drawing runes, but also more importantly in a way how runes can actually be translated into words, and spells into sentences, that you can in turn use to figure out new spells.

There are even a bunch of spells in the game that aren't written down anywhere, you just have to figure out logical combination of runewords yourself.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Has anyone played the old game Mage Guild? I've been digging through roguelikes trying to find examples of games with more complex magic systems where you aren't just picking a spell from a list. Not having much luck so far, unfortunately.

Mage Guild has a list of 50 spells, but it's the alchemy system that caught my eye. I'm planning to play it and see for myself once I have some more free time later this week, but if anyone's played it I'd be interested in your experience.

Check out Spellmasons. It does some interesting stuff.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jack Trades posted:

Check out Spellmasons. It does some interesting stuff.

Oh this is really good. Thanks for the heads up, will tackle this at some point and see what it really does.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

SKULL.GIF posted:

Has anyone played the old game Mage Guild? I've been digging through roguelikes trying to find examples of games with more complex magic systems where you aren't just picking a spell from a list. Not having much luck so far, unfortunately.

Mage Guild has a list of 50 spells, but it's the alchemy system that caught my eye. I'm planning to play it and see for myself once I have some more free time later this week, but if anyone's played it I'd be interested in your experience.

It's rogueliTes, but maybe https://store.steampowered.com/app/2292060/Spell_Disk/ and https://store.steampowered.com/app/319250/Magicmaker/?
Maybe the core system of https://store.steampowered.com/app/1498040/Bio_Prototype/ may also work?
Spellmasons is clearly a better rec, though.

Loddfafnir fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 19, 2023

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

I've actually played Arx Fatalis and liked it, but Blitz inputs for spells are just an abstraction layer of "choose Firaga from the menu". It is certainly much more immersive, though.

Noita's wand algebra gets close to what I'm looking for but doesn't quite get there.

e: Magicka was a great 2 weeks of fun but unfortunately doesn't have the depth I'm looking for, which is why I'm now investigating roguelikes. I think it's pretty much the only genre that has the capability to go full grognard with in-depth magic.

If you want weird complicated in-depth spell-construction systems, my first thoughts aren't roguelikes but the platformer MagicMaker and the minecraft mods Hex Casting and Psi. Psi in particular you can get really weird and complicated with, it's basically a Befunge-inspired programming language that magic comes out of.

My next thoughts are Morrowind's spellcrafting system, mostly.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It has mixed reviews on steam and I haven't actually played it, so grain of salt, but "Forged in Blood" is a turn based strategy game that has been on my wishlist forever and it's magic system sounds complex and interesting to me!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

Samurai Bringer is a roguelite Musou ARPG where you design your own movesets. It's not entirely magic, it's more like hybrid magic/martial attacks, but the move editor is great. It's only $10, too.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256882944/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1650423915

I don't think it's what you're looking for depth-wise but it's a lot of fun and worth checking out if you haven't played it. It's a moderately more complex Magicka, more or less (you modally design more complex moves and equip them to your attack buttons, as opposed to mixing elements on the fly). I still play it on my Switch occasionally and liked it enough to buy it on 2 platforms. It takes like 6-10 hours to "beat" and it's not very difficult but it's great as a move-making sandbox.

Here's a video going over what the move editor is like, there aren't really any good youtubers or anything for this game though it wasn't very well known/popular despite being very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNXD3LW8wLA

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 20, 2023

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It has mixed reviews on steam and I haven't actually played it, so grain of salt, but "Forged in Blood" is a turn based strategy game that has been on my wishlist forever and it's magic system sounds complex and interesting to me!

play it and let us know!!!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Pladdicus posted:

play it and let us know!!!
I will definitely tell you guys if I do buy it but $30 for a mixed review (and seemingly abandoned) game is a bit much - maybe at the next sale. Spent all my gamer cash on a heaping tablespoon of comedy website.

I also told myself no more turn based strategy until I beat one of the dozen other ones I bought without coming near completing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I will definitely tell you guys if I do buy it but $30 for a mixed review (and seemingly abandoned) game is a bit much - maybe at the next sale. Spent all my gamer cash on a heaping tablespoon of comedy website.

I also told myself no more turn based strategy until I beat one of the dozen other ones I bought without coming near completing.

Just one more turn based game.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Triangle Wizardry both Improves and Encroaches:

https://www.trianglewizard.com/post/new-triangle-wizard-1-version-r-18-02

quote:

Several things to report in this update:

- Process on Triangle Wizard 2 has been steady, looking good for an October 27th release!

- The old website will no longer be updated. Apparently it has not disappeared as I initially assumed, so I'll leave it up for now point to this new website.

- During the development of Triangle Wizard 2 I have been reading the code of the original game quite extensively, which have led to a number of small bug fixes. These have now been bundled in a new version for the original game! The download link can be found in the download section, please let me know if the link breaks!

Release notes for R 18.02:

-Priests of Stoutheart no longer lose maximum health upon leveling up (only the curse of Stourheart now does this).
-Holy water reduces death damage to creatures immersed in it.
-Unholy water reduces holy damage to creatures immersed in it.
-Light of the Avariel now correctly increases Solar Flare's light radius instead of reducing it.
-Solar Flare always caused stun. Fixed.
-Giant Frogs can now correctly breathe underwater.
-Reduced health of Giant Spiders.
-Voidmancer now does corruption damage instead of hypnotic damage.
-Rainbow Apprentice now does hypnotic damage instead of corruption damage.
-Fixed various typos and small bugs.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Warriors of the Nile 2 is on sale. Is there any reason to play the first one if I haven't, or is the sequel an improvement in every way?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Quixzlizx posted:

Warriors of the Nile 2 is on sale. Is there any reason to play the first one if I haven't, or is the sequel an improvement in every way?

the latter, buy play

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Quixzlizx posted:

Yep, also they introduced classes that they say are based on the ones from 1 anyway.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1704677600738807899?t=ilK0gM-gqqD2HD4ejsgB9g&s=19

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Quixzlizx posted:

It is flatly better than the first one, has much more content, and has effectively ported the classes from the original(with updates).

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tried that new FPS roguelite "Witchfire" and it was. Cool? I guess. 40 loving dollars for EA though lol. Played it for a little under 2 hours then refunded it. I think it has potential but it is too much for the content that's there atm IMO.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Anyone else play Astrea: Six Sided Oracles? It's a dice-building roguelite. Stumbled onto it the other day and played the demo a few times. Seemed like it has potential and really nice presentation and the full release is later today.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 21, 2023

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I enjoyed the demo. I’ll probably pick it up if there aren’t any red flags in the initial reviews.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I tried the demo and liked it, but I think they're asking over the odds for it.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
Yeah, the price is a bit high.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone playing Emerald Woods? It's a non combat survival roguelike. Plays in browser, and gets pretty frequent updates, so worth checking out!

https://slash.itch.io/emerald-woods

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

SKULL.GIF posted:

this game is great, used to play the hell out of it, beat it once

just downloaded it again, i'm gonna see what i remember

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Forthcoming Hybrid Sequel front continuing to escalate: Mortal Glory 2

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2216660/Mortal_Glory_2/

quote:

Manage a team of traveling gladiators in this turn-based fantasy roguelike. Find the best recruits, tinker with unique items and discover clever tactics on the battlefield. The tournament awaits those who desire MORTAL GLORY!

Roll an explosive barrel at your enemy, throw them into a pit or take out two enemies by knocking them into each other. With a wide variety of tools available to you, your creativity will determine how you deal with the competition. Unique arenas, randomized environments and occasional special rules ensure that each fight offers new tactical opportunities.

A wide variety of fantasy races are seeking glory, each with their own unique racial strengths. Whatever your tactics are, finding the best recruits is essential!

There is a vast collection of unique relics, character perks and more to discover. Finding clever combos and deadly synergies will unlock new strategies and occasionally turn your gladiators into unfairly strong demons.

Various difficulty settings will accommodate your preferred playstyle and there are increasingly harder challenges to master. But beware... The AI is brutally talented at the highest levels.

With every step comes a new challenge or perhaps... an opportunity? It is up to you to guide where your team should travel next... and suffer the consequences.

Each playthrough is different! With various tactics to try and additional increasingly harder challenges to master, the arena will keep welcoming you back again and again. Thanks to conveniently paced combat, Mortal Glory 2 is also great to play if you only have a moment to spare.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sooo...Astrea, the dice game, doing anything interesting or is it just another deckbuilder to throw on the pile?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jack Trades posted:

Sooo...Astrea, the dice game, doing anything interesting or is it just another deckbuilder to throw on the pile?

It's interesting in that you don't have persistent health. Instead you have a corruption bar that restores to full after each fight but can only be depleted a certain number of times before you lose. But you don't always want to avoid taking corruption in fights because doing so lets you use powerful abilities, and if you can purify yourself you can use them again.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

just try it, theres a demo

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Forthcoming Hybrid Sequel front continuing to escalate: Mortal Glory 2

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2216660/Mortal_Glory_2/

Oh hey, I liked the first one, reminded me of the ancient Finnish Areena-gladiator manager games. The devs were definitely inspired by them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Warriors of the Nile 2 was pretty fun. My first run took me exactly two hours, I barely lost against Chapter 3 boss.

And then I got to the metaprogression screen. :negative:

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 22, 2023

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Jack Trades posted:

I'm really enjoying it but yeah, the demo will let you know if you like it or not. It's pretty representative

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Jack Trades posted:

Warriors of the Nile 2 was pretty fun. My first run took me exactly two hours, I barely lost against Chapter 3 boss.

:sickos:

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Jack Trades posted:

I've played a couple hours and so far it's feeling quite good. The purification/corruption mechanic interacting with your health adds an interesting layer. Essentially your basic dice faces have either purification or corruption. Purification can heal you or damage the enemy while corruption can hurt you and heal the enemy as well as letting them use a special skill if they get too much corruption.

You have three hearts (HP) and a health bar of sorts with 7 notches. When you take damage on the notches it unlocks abilities for you to use like rerolling, applying direct purify to something, getting another dice, etc. So you can do things like damage yourself, activate an ability, heal up, hurt yourself again, and you'll be able to use that ability another time during the same turn. Oh, and the three hearts are your "real" health and you only lose one if your entire health bar gets to the bottom.

So far it feels really interesting and like it's actually doing something different than a generic deckbuilder. It actually makes you stop and think sometimes about how to play the hand you're dealt. Plus it's a really good looking game. The art and music are great.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Drone Incognito posted:

I've played a couple hours and so far it's feeling quite good. The purification/corruption mechanic interacting with your health adds an interesting layer. Essentially your basic dice faces have either purification or corruption. Purification can heal you or damage the enemy while corruption can hurt you and heal the enemy as well as letting them use a special skill if they get too much corruption.

You have three hearts (HP) and a health bar of sorts with 7 notches. When you take damage on the notches it unlocks abilities for you to use like rerolling, applying direct purify to something, getting another dice, etc. So you can do things like damage yourself, activate an ability, heal up, hurt yourself again, and you'll be able to use that ability another time during the same turn. Oh, and the three hearts are your "real" health and you only lose one if your entire health bar gets to the bottom.

So far it feels really interesting and like it's actually doing something different than a generic deckbuilder. It actually makes you stop and think sometimes about how to play the hand you're dealt. Plus it's a really good looking game. The art and music are great.

I'll add that runs are taking me ~2 hours but some of that is learning all the new stuff being introduced. Though I think the turn-to-turn gameplay takes more time since you're probably calculating how to hurt/heal yourself multiple times each turn

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Jack Trades posted:

FWIW it's not terribly hard to finish the metaprogression. I have 40 hours in the game and I'm pretty sure 30 of them have been with a finished metaprog tree. It's not an eternal hellgrind like some games.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Shiren 5 sale on Switch again: https://www.dekudeals.com/items/shiren-the-wanderer-the-tower-of-fortune-and-the-dice-of-fate

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Chaotic Flame posted:

I'll add that runs are taking me ~2 hours but some of that is learning all the new stuff being introduced. Though I think the turn-to-turn gameplay takes more time since you're probably calculating how to hurt/heal yourself multiple times each turn

I also noticed the runs take a while. It hasn't bothered me yet though. They are taking longer to calculate, like you said, instead of taking forever like Across the Obelisk where it just felt tedious.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

SKULL.GIF posted:

so it's been a while since i played this a lot

in mage guild you don't level from fighting enemies, you collect the level up orb and then descend. fighting enemies gets you remains which you can charge up and affix to your staff to zap other enemies

early game you want to clear levels for loot
mid game you want to assemble a toolkit for winning
late game you want to collect the knowledge orb and get to the stairs. you can even skip the orb and just take the stairs but of course you don't gain the benefits of the orb this way

crystal balls are extremely valuable
a crystal ball of energy detects the knowledge orb
a crystal ball of absorption detects the stairs
a crystal ball of death, when mixed with your staff gives an instantly lethal attack (to living enemies). so i like to keep this for hard fights and hold on to some potions of life for the undead and to keep yourself alive.

archmage tokens have unique and powerful effects, so they are worth preserving for challenging situations. you can use alchemy to change one token into another

endgame spoilers on the last floor you duel the archmage overseeing your test. on my win i chose the white archmage which is a good choice because he doesn't have ranged attacks. there is the added bonus of starting with a white token which can be used to create a useful artifact from monster remains (but all the tokens are good).

he is a bit tricky at staying off the cardinal directions and diagonals but i used the overcharge effect from red tokens to hit him with cone shaped lightning bolts

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cool, I found out the Ground Gives Way is seemingly broken on Windows 11 if you resize the window *at any point* because of something Microsoft did to their console/terminal settings. Fiddling with word wrap (the FAQ suggested solution) doesn't seem to fix anything, neither does wiping the settings and resetting to default.

The output after the initial screen is completely garbled and mixed on multiple lines, even when the window size is reset back to its default / exact specifications.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

so it's been a while since i played this a lot

in mage guild you don't level from fighting enemies, you collect the level up orb and then descend. fighting enemies gets you remains which you can charge up and affix to your staff to zap other enemies

[...]

Good stuff, giving it a shot this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I'm enjoying it a lot so far. The mechanics force you to actually think so it's not like slay the spire where there's pretty much one optimal play to worry about. The purification/corruption mechanic comes together in a million neat little ways.

My main issue with the game is various minor UI complaints. The game doesn't really do the StS style predictive UI stuff which is really bad considering there's dozens of status effects/buffs/debuffs in the game. Stuff like me accidentally killing myself because the game didn't calculate me having 2 stacks of empowered feels bad and makes playing on the Steam Deck feel way worse. I've also noticed that a lot of the menu buttons don't seem to have any highlights so seeing what you're actually selecting is harder than it need to be on controller. Having Purify actions be blue and corruption red is a great idea but it kinda makes a lot of the dice blend together which is bad because there are a bunch of effects you need to keep in mind (though it's not as bad if you're on pc)