Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

listen, no one said that kids had to be back in school at the same time as their teachers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Insanite posted:

listen, no one said that kids had to be back in school at the same time as their teachers

lol

have the holding pen class periods started yet for anyone else?

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

teachers on tiktok are -- very rightly so -- losing their minds this year. there's been a spate of very popular videos (as in, 500K+ likes, maybe some are 1M+) with tons of stitches/follow-ups in the past week or so from teachers who are completely at their wits' ends over what they're more and more frequently identifying as the consequences of an unaddressed and ongoing pandemic. like, 7th grade teachers who are used to a few kids with behavior issues or reading at 4th grade level now having 80% of their class who can't read at 3rd grade level, poo poo like that.

it's good on some level that a growing number of people are, at least temporarily, understanding that the pandemic is an ongoing catastrophe that needs to be meaningfully addressed, but mostly it's extremely depressing to see the results of it having gone unaddressed for so long, and knowing that, in all likelihood, will continue that way.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Soap Scum posted:

teachers on tiktok are -- very rightly so -- losing their minds this year. there's been a spate of very popular videos (as in, 500K+ likes, maybe some are 1M+) with tons of stitches/follow-ups in the past week or so from teachers who are completely at their wits' ends over what they're more and more frequently identifying as the consequences of an unaddressed and ongoing pandemic. like, 7th grade teachers who are used to a few kids with behavior issues or reading at 4th grade level now having 80% of their class who can't read at 3rd grade level, poo poo like that.

it's good on some level that a growing number of people are, at least temporarily, understanding that the pandemic is an ongoing catastrophe that needs to be meaningfully addressed, but mostly it's extremely depressing to see the results of it having gone unaddressed for so long, and knowing that, in all likelihood, will continue that way.

Mississippi of all places seems to have gotten on this with a vengeance (though this was a decade in the making). Remains to be seen if this is just fudging numbers but so far so good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

test scores are worthless

the anecdotal evidence from the teachers tho is much more valid and concerning

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jon Irenicus posted:

it's kinda funny to think that just four years ago not having subs coordinated for your dept was a huge logistical failure that came down on the building admin. now it's just every other day from Sept - April

One of the big suburban school districts here has canceled classes for two days in a row because they can't get enough bus drivers. No reflection on what all of this implies of course, it's just another thing that happens now like houses exploding randomly or people in their thirties having strokes.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

euphronius posted:

test scores are worthless

the anecdotal evidence from the teachers tho is much more valid and concerning

I don't know about worthless, just.. when you measure something you get what you measure - and tests don't measure what we claim they do, not really.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

schools and states can do hundreds of things to game numbers and have financial incentive to do so

they are as about as credible as crime statistics

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

euphronius posted:

schools and states can do hundreds of things to game numbers and have financial incentive to do so

they are as about as credible as crime statistics

yea, that's that lovely legalistic approach to the world our leaders have in action

operate in perfectly spherical cow land and just gently caress with the metrics and what chairs get funded until they say/show you're right / were right all along

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

One of the big suburban school districts here has canceled classes for two days in a row because they can't get enough bus drivers. No reflection on what all of this implies of course, it's just another thing that happens now like houses exploding randomly or people in their thirties having strokes.

An old college friend of mine just died from a heart attack. He was 38 and in good shape. Just a normal thing that happens.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I feel like every education "miracle" on the small scale I've ever seen has later proved to be outright cheating and every large scale one has been administrative number fudging.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
there is a consistency of growth here though that I think does warrant more than just, the numbers are outright fabrications

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

i feel like we haven't had a teacher thread regular post much in a while? i think Gio was a teacher but hasn't popped up here for a while 🤔 anyway, if you're a lurking teacher, time to de-lurk imo

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Steve Yun posted:

unclear headline, it seems to be about the pandemic in general changing people, not Covid infection

but yeah, the last 3 years have definitely made me less cooperative and less trusting

show yourself
https://twitter.com/TheVertlartnic/status/1705207518052454473

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Brain inflammation made me smarter, actually.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Air quality in San Francisco is still extremely poo poo thanks to wildfire smoke from up north. I'm going to attempt my first Corsi-Rosenthal box build today for work. It will hopefully help during the winter as well. How often should I change the filters on the device?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lmao

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Soap Scum posted:

i feel like we haven't had a teacher thread regular post much in a while? i think Gio was a teacher but hasn't popped up here for a while 🤔 anyway, if you're a lurking teacher, time to de-lurk imo

road potato here is a mostly lurking teacher (and good person):

road potato posted:

(..)
I'm the only teacher at my school who still wears a mask throughout the day, and I got the school to put in additional HEPA filters in my classroom.
(..)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

our school district sent an email at the beginning of the year saying they don’t care about covid. do whatever you want. it’s endemic not a pandemic (literally said this ).

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Jon Irenicus posted:

Covid is fully back - 15 teachers out without subs in my building alone

how does this work exactly, are the kids just roaming the hallways wild or do they just all get crammed in a gymnasium to watch bill nye or ken burn or something? like thats hundreds of students potential un- or underattended, right?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I love this account so much

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

How often should I change the filters on the device?

depending on use somewhere between 3 and 6 months. They'll get visibly grayer as they go!

It won't hurt to keep using them for as long as you want, they only "stop working" when they are completely clogged. although at some point you'll burn out the fan as it struggles to pull air through occluded filters.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

celadon posted:

how does this work exactly, are the kids just roaming the hallways wild or do they just all get crammed in a gymnasium to watch bill nye or ken burn or something? like thats hundreds of students potential un- or underattended, right?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

celadon posted:

how's it been implemented at one suburban school where I know a teacher: students are in all day "study hall" rooms and the remaining teachers are running between those rooms on their prep periods to check on the kids

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Speaking of corsi cubes, the cubes I placed in my bathrooms do turn grayed, but for some odd reason the one I have in my living room just turn blacker? I'm not sure why that happens

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

Speaking of corsi cubes, the cubes I placed in my bathrooms do turn grayed, but for some odd reason the one I have in my living room just turn blacker? I'm not sure why that happens

I don't know, but would imagine it might be related to where you do your cooking.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
why even keep kids in school if you're just going to put them all in one room mostly unattended. like yeah school exists in part to warehouse kids while their parents are at work but at some point wouldn't someone say "this is loving stupid, just go home"?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Pingui posted:

I don't know, but would imagine it might be related to where you do your cooking.

Oh right, yeah duh me. I'm in an apartment so there's just a counter separating the kitchen from the living room

SixteenShells posted:

why even keep kids in school if you're just going to put them all in one room mostly unattended. like yeah school exists in part to warehouse kids while their parents are at work but at some point wouldn't someone say "this is loving stupid, just go home"?

Because that's the other stupid issue, schools only get paid per student head they can bring in. If they send everyone home, they won't get any $$

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

yoloer420 posted:

Thanks so much for your patient answers. I'm going to order the beginner course/kit from the-odin and go from there. I'm pretty keen to start learning about this stuff!
Have fun, it's quite the rabbit hole!

Insanite posted:

was supposed to have the new baby's hip ultrasounded today to check for dysplasia

whoops

no one across our very large metro boston medical office network can actually see her--too many staff out sick

jfc it's legit been a coin flip if the medical appointments we book weeks or months out actually happen during this last year
The Onion should start another recurring "no way to prevent this" article series.

dxt posted:

An old college friend of mine just died from a heart attack. He was 38 and in good shape. Just a normal thing that happens.
:smith: sorry about your friend

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they can’t send them home . there are no busses

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

fosborb posted:

how's it been implemented at one suburban school where I know a teacher: students are in all day "study hall" rooms and the remaining teachers are running between those rooms on their prep periods to check on the kids

what exactly could you be studying if your teachers are all out all the time? like oh ill do some self-driven investigation of the economic causes of the hundred years war? or do you just sort of double study for the teachers who remain using the time of the teachers who have fallen, assuming this is up to the point where its high school and students have multiple teachers they see each day?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

SixteenShells posted:

You can't send them home, they forced the parents back to the office

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

fosborb posted:

Smh if they aren't keeping the kids 6 3 feet apart and/or moving them around every 14 minutes to avoid having close contacts.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

euphronius posted:

they can’t send them home . there are no busses

Just spitballing here, but what if: children bus drivers?

I may have been inspired by this news piece I saw earlier today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWqf4-4BAT0

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
How long until our savior Elon Musk rolls out a self-driving electric school bus?

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

i wonder if theres a small component of the crippling learning loss our nation suffers from that can be attributed to teachers falling ill with plague en masse, relegating their students to poorly organized study halls, rather than a stint of remote learning several years ago. this seems like the sort of thing one could do a study on, id imagine.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Free-range children. 8 hour recess

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

celadon posted:

what exactly could you be studying if your teachers are all out all the time? like oh ill do some self-driven investigation of the economic causes of the hundred years war? or do you just sort of double study for the teachers who remain using the time of the teachers who have fallen, assuming this is up to the point where its high school and students have multiple teachers they see each day?

i think the real answer is the kids play phone games / switch / minecraft / roblox, hang out and talk with each other, and half-rear end the assignments from their remaining teachers who they all assume will be sick next week and not checking homework anyway

i feel like that sounds very cynical / old-man-yelling-at-cloud of me, so i should point out that i think the reason kids are doing poorly / behaving badly is because they're smart enough to know the world is extremely, catastrophically hosed and no one is stepping up to do anything about it, and whether they're explicitly aware of it or not, i think that fatalism influences their behavior a lot. at least for kids who are like 13yo+ -- for the younger ones, i suspect it's mostly just results of disastrous societal response to the pandemic and not so much a (developing) future outlook. but also sometimes kids are even smarter than i think, so, maybe.

thread parents, are your (teenage+) kids doomers

e: oh and yeah apparently school refusal is going through the roof which is scary/sad/bad

https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/1659491757468385283

Soap Scum has issued a correction as of 17:10 on Sep 22, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think to there extent learning is not happening as it should it is a result of the unhealed physical and psychological traumas of the covid , the malign impact of social media, parents not giving the support they should due to them being overworked and freaked out ; and schools not adapting to the ever-evolving needs students due to lack of resources and politicization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

celadon posted:

i wonder if theres a small component of the crippling learning loss our nation suffers from that can be attributed to teachers falling ill with plague en masse, relegating their students to poorly organized study halls, rather than a stint of remote learning several years ago. this seems like the sort of thing one could do a study on, id imagine.

please do not divert resources from recovering from lockdown-related learning loss. we need to do what's right for our children. finally!