Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SAW II is wretched, Whannel has openly said it was a repurposed spec-script rush job and it shows. 1,3 and whichever the insurance industry one was (6 I think?) are the best, but 4 has the best kill (glass box at the end on the detective)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i've only seen Saw 1 and Saw 2 but Saw 2 is my favorite

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

No One Will Save You is absolutely incredible

A clean 90 minutes pre-credits, tense for 80% of it, well done visually, has a cool trick I don’t even think was given away in the trailer, and it’s got an ending that I loved but will make a lot of people (but not me) mad probably!

ShowTime posted:

No One Will Save You was a good drat movie. Really amazing sound design. Darn good and creepy horror. I can't wait to talk about the ending. I guess I could put it in spoilers. So definitely don't read the next bit.

Seriously don't read this unless you've seen the whole thing.

Didn't see that coming. She basically gets to be herself in an environment where they've created a perfect world. I guess they think she's perfect as is?

My take on it was they confronted her with her biggest mistake/regret/guilt, and she didn't hide from it or run away, she accepted that it happened and she tried to be there for herself because nobody else was or could be. Considering everyone else they'd possessed, it seemed like that was something they wouldn't or couldn't do during their own confrontations, which is why the aliens appeared surprised when they left the fantasy. So now they're making sure she's not alone, while in the background continuing their tests on everyone else; no one saved her so she saved herself, is she alone in that decision? If so, :rip: humanity I guess lol

I adored the choice of lack of dialogue. Didn't think it felt gimmicky or out of place for the most part

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

SAW II is wretched, Whannel has openly said it was a repurposed spec-script rush job and it shows. 1,3 and whichever the insurance industry one was (6 I think?) are the best, but 4 has the best kill (glass box at the end on the detective)

You are correct. Both in terms of the plotline in 6 and the quality of the films.

I haven't rewatched 4 in forever, maybe I should next month. I don't remember that glass box kill at all, let alone why it would be the series' best one overall.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

1 is the only good one the rest are forgettable trash.

with that said I'm selling my boxset for a reasonable price now knowing I'll never watch any of them again.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Chris Rock is a cop in Spiral. Not a cop that really wants to be a stand-up comedian. Or a stand-up comedian that has to be a cop to pay the bills. Just a cop. And yet he walks into every situation with an entire routine ready to go.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Chris Rock is a cop in Spiral. Not a cop that really wants to be a stand-up comedian. Or a stand-up comedian that has to be a cop to pay the bills. Just a cop. And yet he walks into every situation with an entire routine ready to go.

I went in with an open mind that maybe he'd give a serious performance but then literally the very first scene he's doing a standup routine and it completely took me out of the movie.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The only scene in Spiral where Chris Rock's acting choices weren't really bizarrely bad was when he was undercover playing some tweaker.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

why would you not want Chris Rock to do a stand up routine in your movie? it seems like that's why one would cast Chris Rock

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

SAW II is wretched, Whannel has openly said it was a repurposed spec-script rush job and it shows.

I was just reading Darren Lynn Bousman’s Wikipedia page (I am always doing poo poo like this) and this is true—he wrote a script for his own movie and showed it to a producer who went “this is basically Saw” and then passed it along to those producers. pretty fun trivia

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

why would you not want Chris Rock to do a stand up routine in your movie? it seems like that's why one would cast Chris Rock

I mean yea in the end it was just a bad idea to cast him in the first place, but from what I remember he was either a producer or co-wrote the script or something along those lines.

It's just not something I want in a Saw movie. Chris Rock can go Chris Rock it up in a hundred other types of movies, I don't need it in Saw.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Saw Talk To Me. It's pretty good, I would say its not as good as Heriditary especially because this movie's intensity just goes down instead of going up. But still very good, some genuiely great scares comparable to that move.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I watched an entirely different Spiral last year, about how terrifying it can be to be openly gay in a conservative small town.

It was filmed half an hour outside my city.

So that's great! :stare:

Looking forward to No One Will Save You, tonight if not tomorrow

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

No One Will Save You is absolutely incredible

A clean 90 minutes pre-credits, tense for 80% of it, well done visually, has a cool trick I don’t even think was given away in the trailer, and it’s got an ending that I loved but will make a lot of people (but not me) mad probably!

My take on it was they confronted her with her biggest mistake/regret/guilt, and she didn't hide from it or run away, she accepted that it happened and she tried to be there for herself because nobody else was or could be. Considering everyone else they'd possessed, it seemed like that was something they wouldn't or couldn't do during their own confrontations, which is why the aliens appeared surprised when they left the fantasy. So now they're making sure she's not alone, while in the background continuing their tests on everyone else; no one saved her so she saved herself, is she alone in that decision? If so, :rip: humanity I guess lol

I adored the choice of lack of dialogue. Didn't think it felt gimmicky or out of place for the most part

That's a good read on it I hadn't though of. Instead of just, making this perfect world, they realize this chick that just hosed up multiple aliens should probably just be left until last. The saucers continuing to fly around in the background and do their business plays to that too.

And yea, the lack of dialogue other than from the aliens was cool as hell. Just great audio design. You hear dialogue from the people, but you can't make out words they say. Maybe a "....she..." every now and then. It did dialogue in a different way then A Quiet Place, which it's being compared to. A Quiet Place for sure had dialogue, including ASL, but in No One Will Save You, the dialogue is present but unrecognizable in multiple ways. Either it's alien speech or so deep in the background that you can't make it out.

All around stellar horror movie.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ulio posted:

Saw Talk To Me. It's pretty good, I would say its not as good as Heriditary especially because this movie's intensity just goes down instead of going up. But still very good, some genuiely great scares comparable to that move.

This really confused me because I thought you were talking about another sequel called "Saw: Talk to Me"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I mean yea in the end it was just a bad idea to cast him in the first place, but from what I remember he was either a producer or co-wrote the script or something along those lines.

It's just not something I want in a Saw movie. Chris Rock can go Chris Rock it up in a hundred other types of movies, I don't need it in Saw.

The whole movie is about how the police are a joke and not a funny one so Chris doing unfunny bits every chance he can works perfectly!!!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Angry Black Girl and Her Monster is on Shudder now and I really dug it. A considered take on the Frankenstein story and a pretty decent goop level.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

The whole movie is about how the police are a joke and not a funny one so Chris doing unfunny bits every chance he can works perfectly!!!

:agreed:

Also the ending is legit the funniest part, intentionally I'd argue given this

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

OK, I finished Texas Chainsaw and lol, lmao, I really appreciate that they're just like, ehh gently caress it, Leatherface is my cousin and my friend, let him have a little murder as a treat. It almost redeems the rest of the movie when a horror movie is like, 'No, you know what, gently caress all these people'.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I similarly don't use Shudder a lot, but I keep paying for it out of principle. If it were pricier, I might have some heartburn, but I'm OK tossing money on it for the random banger they seem to produce now and again. And for new seasons of Creepshow. It's not like paying for something like Disney+ where I'm just tossing money at some huge corporation, Shudder feels a lot more DIY than its competitors.

On the other hand you’re giving money to James Dolan. So no winners.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my favorites are Saw, Saw 3, and whichever one that teaches you about door safety and how you should always check your corners!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

On the other hand you’re giving money to James Dolan. So no winners.

you mean the guitarist for my favorite band, JD and the Straight Shot?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Phy posted:

I watched an entirely different Spiral last year, about how terrifying it can be to be openly gay in a conservative small town.

It was filmed half an hour outside my city.

So that's great! :stare:

Lol imagining you sitting there going “yo Jigsaw this trap is very very homophobic!!! Wtf”

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

OK, I finished Texas Chainsaw and lol, lmao, I really appreciate that they're just like, ehh gently caress it, Leatherface is my cousin and my friend, let him have a little murder as a treat. It almost redeems the rest of the movie when a horror movie is like, 'No, you know what, gently caress all these people'.

The face turn in that movie made me bump it up to i think 2 stars on letterboxd. It’s so goofy i can’t help but like it

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Hollismason posted:

Yeah you have more empathy as you age.

Going back to this post, it's definitely true for me but that only makes horror hit harder in the sense that I enjoy it more and I can tell when something is just there for shock value and something had some thought put into it to be a real gut punch.
The only thing I don't enjoy now or haven't as far as I can recall is cheap and shallow poo poo.

Like there's a Junji Ito(?) or another author's manga about someone having a miscarriage that is HORRIFYING. Then you can compare that to something that has been an internet in joke for decades, "Loss". While Tim Buckley never wanted that strip to be a horror thing he definitely meant it to be impactful and it wasn't due to a lot of factors. While the other example has pathos and real character you can identify with.

Hell, MALIGNANT has that now that I think about it. Someone seeking connection and meaning that is ripped from them etc. and their journey to overcome.

Not to say I can't enjoy something like murder clown eviscerating people cause they think it's funny tho. Cause LMAO

[ART THE CLOWN LIVE REACTION]

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No one Will Save You so far is a 10/10 on alien spookums. Absolutely everything ive ever wanted

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
A Record of Sweet Murder would have worked a lot better for me without the gross sex stuff and assault. That said, if that kind of stuff isn't a deal breaker, or you can egt past it, it's a clever, one takeish Koji Shiraishi found footage. This kind of stuff doesn't pop up in his films often, but it's always off putting when it does.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They need to hurry up and release the drat trailer for The Toxic Avenger.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

No One Will Save You is a mash-up of every alien invasion trope on an incredibly small scale, and it works really well. Pretty impressed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I adored No One Will Save You

It’s done the same poo poo I’ve been putting in my grey alien movies and it made me so happy

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

oh poo poo! No One Will Save You is Kaitlyn Dever; not horror but she's unreal as a recurring character in Justified, and very very good in Booksmart. also in Books of Blood, but i never watched it. she'll be taking home Oscars soon enough

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

To me, it did the most important thing (and I'm not going to spoiler this) by not being coy with the aliens. It's an alien movie, here are the aliens, you'll get multiple long, clear shots of them. The 'we never show our aliens' trend in movies has been done to death, it's refreshing to have an alien movie that doesn't give a poo poo about playing that game.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I'm looking forward to seeing it with all those glowing reviews. Will save it for October.

I just watched Shiva Baby because I adored Bottoms and oh my god it's so much more of a horror than I ever expected, from the way it's shot to the psychological and gut-churning moments throughout. Yes, it's a black comedy, but it was more uncomfortable and scarier than some out-and-out horrors I've seen, but the horror is having to survive an awkward gathering with your extended family. Hilarious.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Ambitious Spider posted:

A Record of Sweet Murder would have worked a lot better for me without the gross sex stuff and assault. That said, if that kind of stuff isn't a deal breaker, or you can egt past it, it's a clever, one takeish Koji Shiraishi found footage. This kind of stuff doesn't pop up in his films often, but it's always off putting when it does.
It feels like he spared his other films and got a lot of it out of his system by making Chô Akunin, which is almost entirely that stuff.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I feel the same way about The Hills have Eyes its a hard to recommend movie.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 23, 2023

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

No One Will Save You boldly asks the important question: can you be too much of a pain in the rear end for aliens to want to deal with you? And the answer is 'yes'.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Just finished watching No One Will Save You. Not sure what to make of it. I really liked the variety in the aliens, and opting for no dialog was a nice change of pace. The ending however, she just shifted from one style of prison to another? Granted, she's happier in the new one, but it's still a prison keeping her out of the alien's 'hair' so to speak. The people around her are nothing more than interactive set pieces no different than the model homes she had.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

To me, it did the most important thing (and I'm not going to spoiler this) by not being coy with the aliens. It's an alien movie, here are the aliens, you'll get multiple long, clear shots of them. The 'we never show our aliens' trend in movies has been done to death, it's refreshing to have an alien movie that doesn't give a poo poo about playing that game.

Exactly this. My biggest issues with a lot of alien movies especially the fourth kind.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
My biggest issue is that they feature the aliens in the movie and very rarely do the aliens hang dong despite being naked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
No One Will Save You was a solid watch. It definitely has tons of style. Visually, it plays with a lot of the classic grey alien/flying saucer/crop circle imagery in inventive ways, particularly with some of the variations on the aliens. And really moody and tense sound design helps carry the empty space left by the essentially dialogue free nature of the film. And I can only imagine the "ENDING EXPLAINED" trash that's populating search results for this movie as well. I didn't recognize the lead was one of the girls from Booksmart until looking at the cast afterward, but she anchored the movie really well in a challenging part.

Side note: I hadn't heard of this movie before it seemingly materialized on Hulu and in this thread tonight, so I did a quick search for "no one will save you" on the forums. Prior to our discussion, it's just a lot of hits for the COVID and Trump doomposting threads. Now THAT'S horror.