Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1705012791738761223

Slither Wing and Iron Moth are now available in raids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I started a new game of Pokémon sword, hoping to actually finish it this time, and doing a pretty elaborate house rules hardcore nuzlocke run kind of thing, it’s fun!

Anyway one of my available pokés is a gastly, obviously I want him to become a gengar eventually, so like how does that work? I’ve never traded in these games before. Gotta trade him away, and then hope I can get him back from my trading partner? Is there no alternative?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Jay Rust posted:

I started a new game of Pokémon sword, hoping to actually finish it this time, and doing a pretty elaborate house rules hardcore nuzlocke run kind of thing, it’s fun!

Anyway one of my available pokés is a gastly, obviously I want him to become a gengar eventually, so like how does that work? I’ve never traded in these games before. Gotta trade him away, and then hope I can get him back from my trading partner? Is there no alternative?

Just go on the Discord and ask a goon. There’s no other way to evolve it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Hey I just caught a spare masterpiece form sinischa. if anybody wants em' they're up for grabs.

Edit: N/M loving Basculegion den crashed and my save data got lost. Fantastic 10/10 game.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 22, 2023

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Nanigans posted:

Just go on the Discord and ask a goon. There’s no other way to evolve it.

:actually: If you have a copy of Pokemon Legends Arceus to transfer the Haunter to via PKMN Home, there is a gameboy link cable evolution item (:argh: so easy!)

:sadwave: bring it back from the "past", please...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's been 9 generations and they haven't implemented a consistent way to do the traded evolutions without needing to actually trade.

Even the mobile games are ahead in that area.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Trading is cool

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/PokeMikuVOLTAGE/status/1705160014971932864

Mismagius is an interesting choice, but I think its incantations count as "singing"

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Trading is like one of the core features of the franchise (collaboration and friendship!) and it’s easier than ever now we have the internet, it should stay

I saw someone having a lil meltdown somewhere about how Nintendo have been gouging customers since the 90s with this ‘two slightly different games anti-consumer bullshit’ and I guess Pokémon just hit different back in the day if you didn’t have any friends

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So what’s going on with Paldean Winds out of curiosity? Is it supposed to be a monthly series rather than weekly or something?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

History Comes Inside! posted:

Trading is like one of the core features of the franchise (collaboration and friendship!) and it’s easier than ever now we have the internet, it should stay

I saw someone having a lil meltdown somewhere about how Nintendo have been gouging customers since the 90s with this ‘two slightly different games anti-consumer bullshit’ and I guess Pokémon just hit different back in the day if you didn’t have any friends

I was already an adult when Pokemon came out and I did not have any friends who also played Pokemon. I don't think I had any friends who also owned a gameboy. Trading is so much easier now, goddamn, you can just post here on on reddit or anywhere and someone will help you.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

One of the inspirations for the series was Tajiri seeing two kids with their Game Boys connected by a link cable and imagining bugs crawling across it.

So no I don’t think trade evos are ever going away.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Two versions just meant arguing with my sister over which one of us got which version and starter. Luckily we have opposite tastes so it wasn't usually a problem, but things got tense over Rowlet.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't really like the two versions thing but I think it's cool some Pokemon require multiplayer.

That's neat imo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't really like the two versions thing but I think it's cool some Pokemon require multiplayer.

That's neat imo.

I think there's a small argument in versioning having lost some relevance in the Switch years, simply because it's not "as" portable a console as prior Pokemon platforms (ie; For trading mons on the school playground). That said, I still think it's a neat way to encourage people to socialize and cooperate if you want to get that complete Dex.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Nintendo being fun about being anti-consumer reminds me of this corny video and you know what? maybe they were right!!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MTzyz2TgGls

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

hopeandjoy posted:

One of the inspirations for the series was Tajiri seeing two kids with their Game Boys connected by a link cable and imagining bugs crawling across it.

So no I don’t think trade evos are ever going away.

They haven't introduced any new ones since gen 6.

Technically there's Palafin since that needs the Union Circle, though I guess they could cut out that requirement in a later game.

I don't mind trading, that's pretty cool. Trade evolutions can be annoying though. At least nowadays there's ways to fill out the Pokedex without having to trade for trade evos. Usually there's wild fully evolveds roaming about. Or you can get em from raids but that's up to the RNG though.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

After Gen 6 there's been a notable uptick in Pokemon that just evolve by just having the item used on it. Quite a few split evolutions as well. Kubfu, Applin, Sinistea, Galarian Slowpoke, Scyther, Ursaring, Charcadet and now Poltchagiest all use this. Had they been introduced earlier these would all be trade evolutions.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zuzie posted:

After Gen 6 there's been a notable uptick in Pokemon that just evolve by just having the item used on it. Quite a few split evolutions as well. Kubfu, Applin, Sinistea, Galarian Slowpoke, Scyther, Ursaring, Charcadet and now Poltchagiest all use this. Had they been introduced earlier these would all be trade evolutions.

I mean the earlier gens also had those, they were just called stone evolutions. Vileplume, Starmie, etc.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Trade evolutions are cool, keep em says I.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I still think it's a little weird, like i have a haunter i invested some time in, I want a gengar, so I gotta trade him back and forth with someone? This is the intended functionality?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah to encourage you to co-operate with another player

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
you GOTTA catch em all, and to do so,

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

At least you can retrade Pokemon. That's a very nice thing I've learned to appreciate thanks to Go only letting a Pokemon be traded once.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Weirdly enough I remember one of the early anime episodes (where Ash trades his Buterfree for a Raticate) portraying it as kind of a lovely thing to do, and Ash goes back on the trade by the end.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah to encourage you to co-operate with another player

It’s not really cooperation is it, it’s more “I need another warm body for a sec”

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Weirdly enough I remember one of the early anime episodes (where Ash trades his Buterfree for a Raticate) portraying it as kind of a lovely thing to do, and Ash goes back on the trade by the end.

they later have ash trade his contest-loving aipom to dawn for her battle-loving buizel, which was cool until ambipom got released in a really lame way

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Remembering the sheer joy I felt upon seeing that PLA just had a link cable item

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

woke kaczynski posted:

Remembering the sheer joy I felt upon seeing that PLA just had a link cable item

PLA rules :)

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The Mystery Dungeon games had a link cable item as far back as the GBA :colbert:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

they put Linking Cord in Sleep also. Ftw

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

they put Linking Cord in Sleep also. Ftw

Getting a hungry Graveler that you can easily recruit and then immediately evolve into a level 11 Golem that gives you a hundred beans in a day. Good poo poo.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Snake Maze posted:

The Mystery Dungeon games had a link cable item as far back as the GBA :colbert:

The Mystery Dungeon games also rule

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I was very glad of PLA's link cable because I found a shiny Graveler very early on, and was able to grow him up into his best golden self.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

HopperUK posted:

I was very glad of PLA's link cable because I found a shiny Graveler very early on, and was able to grow him up into his best golden self.

sick

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

This is him! :3:

I can't remember if he's an alpha, he might be. He's massive.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
so I haven't played the DLC because I got sidetracked playing super NES games on the switch's built in emulator thing. Is there anything I really need to know before playing it? Also if I wanted to bring a team in to play it, what is a good level for them to be? (bearing in mind I have a savegame at the end of the original game campaign with loads of raid mons and all sorts)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hammerite posted:

so I haven't played the DLC because I got sidetracked playing super NES games on the switch's built in emulator thing. Is there anything I really need to know before playing it? Also if I wanted to bring a team in to play it, what is a good level for them to be? (bearing in mind I have a savegame at the end of the original game campaign with loads of raid mons and all sorts)

The level switch is tied to pre and post credits, so if you roar in with the team you beat Champion Nemona with without completing Area Zero, you're going to be facing level 12 pokemon, with the DLC's endgame being high 30s

Post credits it ranges from 60-70s

Plenty of good leveled pokemon to build a new team around though

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

the “Kitakami Ogre Clan” is all at level 75 but yeah everything else is gonna be 60s-70s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Ogerpon will be at level 20 before doing the last story while its level 70 if you do it after you've seen the credits.