Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm still considering buying a radio stack for MSFS and am seeing that the Saitek/Logitech G Panel isn't compatible with the game on Windows 11. Any alternatives?

E- Did I see there's a paid app that could do the same thing for way less?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I'm not sure if anyone ever watches Planespotter Youtube but I have to say, one thing to motivate me to want to take flights in flight sim and lug out all my stuff for the sim is watching the LA Flights streams in the background of working. It's very chill and nice - Honestly a little weird to me how 'involved' their community is for a relatively passive channel, but hey, if they're having fun, no harm no foul. When they're live its just gentle commentary over perpetual plane landings. Perfect for busywork background noise and sometimes looking over.

This week they've been in JFK catching all the delegations coming in for UN week and its been pretty neat.

https://www.youtube.com/@L.A.FLIGHTS

Oh yeah these are good. I've watched planes with people I know on them on this channel before lol. I love the energy in their commentary, it's like sports for planes.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm still considering buying a radio stack for MSFS and am seeing that the Saitek/Logitech G Panel isn't compatible with the game on Windows 11. Any alternatives?

E- Did I see there's a paid app that could do the same thing for way less?

How does a radio stack peripheral work gameplay wise?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Il2 Battle of Normandy has C47s in Normandy but dday doesn't look fleshed out

Very little in IL-2 is fleshed out these days unless you're into multiplayer. I'm not, so I've more or less given up on the GB series despite my overwhelming passion for WW2 aviation.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Chuck_D posted:

Very little in IL-2 is fleshed out these days unless you're into multiplayer. I'm not, so I've more or less given up on the GB series despite my overwhelming passion for WW2 aviation.

Pat Wilson campaign generator not enough?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I finally took the time this week to get my VKB STECS fully setup in DCS. Having hardware detents is such a gamechanger.

Overall I'm really impressed, it's a huge step up from my CH Throttle. My only gripe is that I wish they offered the STECS Mini with the extra detent pack. I didn't need the extra addons of the STECS Standard but really wish I had the extra detents (or ordered the detent pack when I initially ordered my STECS).

The hardware detents are very cool and I can see myself setting one up for DCS, the Fenix A320, Challenger 650 etc..etc..etc.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Chuck_D posted:

Yeah ugh. I got Bodenplatte and loathe it simply because of the commute to anything to shoot at in every mission

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm kicking around the idea of moving on from my CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle, and since almost everything I do now is GA I really am leaning towards a yoke. Is there something better than the Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo throttle on the horizon? It's a lot of change to drop on a whim.

Also, how is the trim wheel on the throttle in FS2020? That's one thing I'm hoping for a major improvement on from what I've got, and I'm reading mixed reviews on that.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Goons are going for another big dynamic campaign that's going to go for a while as a Let's Play, with multiple player commanders in tabletob fashion.

Thanks to Prime and Deadseed for hard work at a crucial time crunch. I recommend taking an advantage of the sale at ED store for 12 more hours. We're going to war in South America.

Let's Play: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042524

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_mCf0mL9IE

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm kicking around the idea of moving on from my CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle, and since almost everything I do now is GA I really am leaning towards a yoke. Is there something better than the Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo throttle on the horizon? It's a lot of change to drop on a whim.

Also, how is the trim wheel on the throttle in FS2020? That's one thing I'm hoping for a major improvement on from what I've got, and I'm reading mixed reviews on that.

The trim wheel on the Bravo is actually two buttons and not a rotary encoder or axis. Not a lot of fine control since it's just Trim Up/Trim Down.

One thing to consider is that if you go the Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo route, they take up a ALOT of desk space. I basically can't use my computer for anything but flight sim when I have both my Alpha and Bravo hooked up. At least with my VKB setup, I can just move the mounts to the side. Just because the Honeycomb setup is so cumbersome, I find myself using my HOTAS more now.

I actually just upgraded from a CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle setup to a VKB setup (STECS + Gunfighter II) and it's a huge step up. I had originally gone with a Gladiator NXT from a fellow goon and that was a huge upgrade over the Fighterstick. Only picked up the Gunfighter because I got a good deal on it.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Carth Dookie posted:

Pat Wilson campaign generator not enough?

Pat's work is excellent, without a doubt. It's probably the only thing that kept me playing the game over the last couple years. It's the only freeware I've ever been so impressed by as to contribute cash to the author. But even then, there's only so much that can be done with such an old platform. The lack of decent high altitude modeling means every fight is a low altitude one, abysmal AI that still sucks even though it's omniscient, the radio calls are utter trash, wingmen are braindead, no infantry presence, etc, etc, etc - it all adds up for a loving terrible and mind numbingly boring SP experience.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

I just say this interview from Enigma about about a new WW2 flight sim called Combat Pilot from a veteran of the genre, Jason Williams (IL2 Great Battles and Rise of Flight)

It sounds like super early days, but may be worth keeping an eye on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCvYVzooi5U

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
If I got a Quest 3 could I use it with my 3070 or is that not enough card for the display? (MSFS)

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

FunOne posted:

If I got a Quest 3 could I use it with my 3070 or is that not enough card for the display? (MSFS)

I have a Quest 2 and when I upgraded my 3080 to a 4070ti that was a very, very welcome upgrade. I was often running at the 10 GB VRAM ceiling, but with the 4070ti there is more headroom. I would guess that you might need to run at less than 100% render scale with a 3070.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Quest 3 has a similar pixel count to the Reverb G2, and I can tell you from personal experience that the more GPU you have, the better. I'm not sure what the 8GB graphics card experience is like with that kind of headset, to be honest, but it might not be great.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

gently caress yeah MSFS update drops, forced to update, gets stuck unpacking one part, won't go past it. :smithicide:

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
The download speed I get from the MSFS servers is at the level of a router powered by a hamster wheel where the hamster is a bit tired.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Kilonum posted:

gently caress yeah MSFS update drops, forced to update, gets stuck unpacking one part, won't go past it. :smithicide:

You too?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
the stuck update seems to be universal, i had it yesterday and it seems pretty common from googling around

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

There's supposedly a fix for the SU13 issues.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Thanks, will give a try when I get home from work (currently stuck on a bus in Boston traffic)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
fwiw I was able to resolve the issue by trashing all the fspatch files (in the download location on the screen before you hit UPDATE)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CaptainSim released a 717 for MSFS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIiUHEzp3QqM__2w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5XcMkv_Mj4

Are their products really that bad?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yes they are.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I just tried this out on mine, and just deleted all the files that weren't in a folder and it seemed to fix it.

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008
IL-2 official twitter account caught replying to a Lindsay Graham twitter post while saying #DefundUkraine

Official IL2 Twitter account tweets in support of the Russian invasion of Ukraine - r/il2sturmovik/ - Reddit

Deletes tweet and tweets about "unauthorized access to the account". Community Manager LukeFF posts on discord that it was done via a shared phone by someone who did not check what account they were logged in as.

"We would like to apologize for an unsolicited comment that appeared on our Twitter account. The comment was immediately deleted. As previously stated, this was caused by unauthorized access to the account." IL-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles @il2bos - Twitter

"I've compiled a quick selection of screenshots from the IL-2 official Twitter account, dating back to 8th June, one week after LukeFF was appointed as Community Manager. The 8th of June marks the start of the account being used to like Russian Propaganda & associated talking points, in addition to Anti-Vax sentiment and Homophobic remarks." - Reddit post by u/Star57A on r/Hoggit

IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad on steam receives a small review bomb of about 50 negative reviews before steam's review bomb protection is activated.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Gabrielite posted:

IL-2 official twitter account caught replying to a Lindsay Graham twitter post while saying #DefundUkraine

Official IL2 Twitter account tweets in support of the Russian invasion of Ukraine - r/il2sturmovik/ - Reddit

Deletes tweet and tweets about "unauthorized access to the account". Community Manager LukeFF posts on discord that it was done via a shared phone by someone who did not check what account they were logged in as.

"We would like to apologize for an unsolicited comment that appeared on our Twitter account. The comment was immediately deleted. As previously stated, this was caused by unauthorized access to the account." IL-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles @il2bos - Twitter

"I've compiled a quick selection of screenshots from the IL-2 official Twitter account, dating back to 8th June, one week after LukeFF was appointed as Community Manager. The 8th of June marks the start of the account being used to like Russian Propaganda & associated talking points, in addition to Anti-Vax sentiment and Homophobic remarks." - Reddit post by u/Star57A on r/Hoggit

IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad on steam receives a small review bomb of about 50 negative reviews before steam's review bomb protection is activated.

Woof

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's unfortunate, but after playing flight sims and military sims for enough years, it doesn't really surprise me.

after a while you just start to wonder why so many of the community members have handles like [JG52] -=ErichHartmann=- and really like flying the bf-109.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When I was younger, I really liked playing Day of Defeat. I liked playing the German side because I just liked the weapons, the MP-40 and MG-42 kick rear end. Years later I realized that I had a guy on my steam friend's list from then that literally had SS in his username, and still did.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

StarBegotten posted:

I just say this interview from Enigma about about a new WW2 flight sim called Combat Pilot from a veteran of the genre, Jason Williams (IL2 Great Battles and Rise of Flight)

It sounds like super early days, but may be worth keeping an eye on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCvYVzooi5U

Just a heads up Enigma is an unapologetic Nazi sympathizer.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
He's a member of the Canadian government?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Scratch a grog, find a fascist.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

That Works posted:

Just a heads up Enigma is an unapologetic Nazi sympathizer.

Source your quotes?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wicaeed posted:

Source your quotes?

Its come up in the thread before.

Check post history itt and its mentioned there and confirmed by others in the airgoons sever after he got banned from it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

:sigh:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

it's unfortunate, but after playing flight sims and military sims for enough years, it doesn't really surprise me.
Random hobby shop near my home lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

CBJSprague24 posted:

The worst rated plane on the marketplace is their C-130.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Kilonum posted:

The worst rated plane on the marketplace is their C-130.

Huh, I would have guessed it was that poor attempt at an E-170.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Absolutely.

Captain Sim put out some legitimately very good products for FS2002/4, but they lost most of their modelers over the last few years, so all of their prior MSFS releases were just rehashed external models that used default cockpits. At one point, they threatened to sue anyone who uploaded repaints of their products, but they got shamed into backing off on that.

Back in April, they released a payware TIE Fighter (sold under that name), which got them absolutely nuked by Disney, since all mentions of it on their website and social media were scrubbed within 24 hours.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 1, 2023

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

teethgrinder posted:

Oooof I have so many feelings seeing this picture. I could write a book about it that would be relevant to an absurdly specific online subculture of about five people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

teethgrinder posted:

Jesus Christ lmao