Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

redshirt posted:

How does that work? A localized heater just for the shower? Or bathroom?

Yeah it's basically a space heater built into the wall, just for the bathroom. I had never seen it before either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Jelly posted:

Yeah it's basically a space heater built into the wall, just for the bathroom. I had never seen it before either.

My apartment has a separate heater for the bathroom as well. I keep it on maximum all winter its glorious.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jelly posted:

Fancy! And awesome.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
Our bathroom has one of these:

They used to be fairly common. They are a CO hazard, we really should have ours capped off, but we have used it on very rare occations for very short periods of times, only with the door open and a CO detector right outside the door.

naem
May 29, 2011

my apt in SF had this in the living room as the only source of heat which was common in parts of california

it stopped working and I relied on an electric space heater for two years because I was subleasing aka I had no legal right to the apt and I didn’t want to draw attention to myself and lose my $627 a month rent

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

redshirt posted:

For those of you in cold weather areas, put a small space heater in your bathroom.

Turn it on 15 minutes before you take a shower. Everything is nice and warm when you finally hop in and more importantly, hop out.

Throw it on a wifi programmable power switch and you're living the dream on cold winter mornings.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

redshirt posted:

For those of you in cold weather areas, put a small space heater in your bathroom.

Turn it on 15 minutes before you take a shower. Everything is nice and warm when you finally hop in and more importantly, hop out.

I do this every winter and have a little one sitting up in a cupboard where I keep my towels (not plugged in of course).

I hate getting wet and I hate getting wet and cold much more.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jelly posted:

My parents have this in their house. Looks like a normal bathroom fan but has two switches. One to vent, and one to blow hot air down.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

tbh I'm shocked my apartment doesn't have one of those things considering its age and the area of town

it probably did before the last remodel

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I do this every winter and have a little one sitting up in a cupboard where I keep my towels (not plugged in of course).

I hate getting wet and I hate getting wet and cold much more.

It's a game changer. My house is cold right now and I got out of the shower and it was cold and I thought "I wish I turned on the space heater"

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Three Olives posted:

Our bathroom has one of these:

They used to be fairly common. They are a CO hazard, we really should have ours capped off, but we have used it on very rare occations for very short periods of times, only with the door open and a CO detector right outside the door.

what is this a heater for ants

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

CaptainSarcastic posted:

They used to make an unscented deodorant version, which if it still existed I would add to this thread. Nowadays almost every loving deodorant out there is actually an antiperspirant, and I can't use them. I don't sweat much, and my skin reacts badly to whatever they use in antiperspirants, so I'm stuck searching the shelf for something that is JUST a deodorant and that doesn't smell terrible. Give me back my unscented deodorant, you bastards!

Do you mean the roller ball version? That's what I use, but something has been weird with it the last few years; I can get it at local chains for like a normal price but online it's like 30 bucks per container. Did they stop making it and I have just been the only person in this area going through old stock?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

CaptainSarcastic posted:

They used to make an unscented deodorant version, which if it still existed I would add to this thread. Nowadays almost every loving deodorant out there is actually an antiperspirant, and I can't use them. I don't sweat much, and my skin reacts badly to whatever they use in antiperspirants, so I'm stuck searching the shelf for something that is JUST a deodorant and that doesn't smell terrible. Give me back my unscented deodorant, you bastards!

have you looked into a crystal deodorant? it's just a block of mineral salts that you wet and wipe on your armpits that kills the bacteria that cause the smell and leaves you free to sweat normally

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Non Compos Mentis posted:

have you looked into a crystal deodorant? it's just a block of mineral salts that you wet and wipe on your armpits that kills the bacteria that cause the smell and leaves you free to sweat normally

I have used these and it works but I am a sweaty fountain and really need an antiperspirant

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

So it's probably been mentioned but it bears repeating: get a bidet for your toilet.

As someone who, uh, has a bit of trouble getting all of my crap out of there it's been a life changer, my butt's never been cleaner and I use 95% less toilet paper than before (I usually need just enough to dry off which is like, a few squares).

This is the one I use, it's only $40 and is simple to install.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A0RHSJO

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Incense and the burning thereof to create a relaxing, secure feeling ambience

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Teenage me: Incense
Now me: Plants and candles

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Detheros posted:

So it's probably been mentioned but it bears repeating: get a bidet for your toilet.

As someone who, uh, has a bit of trouble getting all of my crap out of there it's been a life changer, my butt's never been cleaner and I use 95% less toilet paper than before (I usually need just enough to dry off which is like, a few squares).

This is the one I use, it's only $40 and is simple to install.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A0RHSJO
My apartment installs these stupid toilet lids that snap on and don't have the screw mounts and I couldn't figure out how to get one of these to work (I literally got the same one you have first) so I returned it and just went manual with one of these sink sprayer lookin' things and I have no regrets once I got the technique down. It's also super handy for cleaning stuff in the bathtub. If you don't have a lot of control in your hands (like if you don't understand how adaptive triggers on controllers work) then you probably want to steer clear as the max power will likely create a mess of some sort.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Gramma tech: I'm too cheap/broke to buy internet light bulbs, I'm a renter and can't install dimmers (which also cost more than I'm willing to spend), and I have various lamps for lighting, so... lamp timers that gradually turn the lights off, one by one, from 8pm-10pm.

Also I keep a rubik's cube on my desk for fidgeting. It's an excuse to stand up from work or momentarily break eye contact with someone who is talking too much. I get a little brain chemical bump from solving it and use the momentum to get back to work. While you were messing with overpriced spinners and widgets, I was mastering the cube.

A (functional) bluetooth earpiece, it's cheap and less obvious that I'm listening to podcasts at work, keeps one ear open for co-workers.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

This is the opposite of what this thread is about but it seems like the right place to ask: I am looking for a life enhancing object which will cheaply and easily help me conceal 150ft of ethernet cable snaking through my house. Right now I have it looping along a baseboard and then taped to the wall which is not a great solution. The answer is not wi-fi, we have a great router but the house we are in now is made out of lead which leads to the signal being unreliable.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

doctorfrog posted:

Gramma tech: I'm too cheap/broke to buy internet light bulbs, I'm a renter and can't install dimmers (which also cost more than I'm willing to spend), and I have various lamps for lighting, so... lamp timers that gradually turn the lights off, one by one, from 8pm-10pm.

Also I keep a rubik's cube on my desk for fidgeting. It's an excuse to stand up from work or momentarily break eye contact with someone who is talking too much. I get a little brain chemical bump from solving it and use the momentum to get back to work. While you were messing with overpriced spinners and widgets, I was mastering the cube.

A (functional) bluetooth earpiece, it's cheap and less obvious that I'm listening to podcasts at work, keeps one ear open for co-workers.

A lot of the "smart" wifi bulbs are crap, and burn out quickly (6-10mo in my experience) but can be made to suck a LOT less with 5 minutes and a drill bit. The reason they eventually stop working in my experience is not the LED's themselves burning out, but the controller inside getting too hot for prolonged periods and cooking itself. I just drill 4-6 1/4" holes in the plastic diffuser where it meets the metal electronics body, this keeps heat from building up too much and destroying the module. At roughly $7.50USD apiece these are pretty cheap to do most of an apartment with, and the ones I've drilled have now been going strong for 16 months.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

aniviron posted:

This is the opposite of what this thread is about but it seems like the right place to ask: I am looking for a life enhancing object which will cheaply and easily help me conceal 150ft of ethernet cable snaking through my house. Right now I have it looping along a baseboard and then taped to the wall which is not a great solution. The answer is not wi-fi, we have a great router but the house we are in now is made out of lead which leads to the signal being unreliable.

You might ask in this SH/SC thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319

The OP is way out of date, so just skip to the end and ask a fresh question.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

aniviron posted:

assuming you don’t want to the run the cable behind the wall or under the floor, you could install some raceways along your baseboard and that would help

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You might ask in this SH/SC thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319

The OP is way out of date, so just skip to the end and ask a fresh question.

this is a trap, do NOT post in SH/SC unless you're ready to wave bye bye to your account

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

aniviron posted:

Wire staples wont hide them but it will keep them in place without looking bad

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Vinegar, and its many uses.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

redshirt posted:

Vinegar, and its many uses.

I am currently using apple cider vinegar and dish soap to deal with a fruit fly problem in my kitchen sink. Works like a charm.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

aniviron posted:

Baseboard cord channel

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

doctorfrog posted:

Actually, lighting is a huge thing that is definately worth giving a lot more consideration than most people do.

Putting dimmers on everything is completely worth the money, good under-cabinet lighting is a great investment, and I feel like I didn't come up with this on my own but I don't remember where I first saw it....

Small table globe lamps on the floor,

It completely evens out the light in the room especially at night it basically serves as amazing nightlights, just enough light that you can see everything but not so much that if you wake up in the middle of the night to get a glass of water or something that it is disruptive.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bad Purchase posted:

this is a trap, do NOT post in SH/SC unless you're ready to wave bye bye to your account

Don't make this joke without it being plainly obvious it's a joke. You never know, someone might actually take it seriously.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

all of my posts are jokes, except this one, which is a jape

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

You can stuff 80' of neatly folded ethernet cable inside of you, just leave the RJ-45s hanging out. If there's more than one person in the house, problem solved. But someone has to carry around the coupler.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The Library. Haven't bought a book in a real long time, and my county ships books to my nearest branch for free, through a website or app. Audiobooks, lecture series, magazines, movies, all streaming for free (though with a more limited selection than for-pay options). Chill there and get some work done without having to pay for a cup of coffee, and use the free wifi. Hell, borrow a laptop while you're at it. And yes, I'm lame enough to borrow DVDs and CDs too.

My local branch has a seed catalog and last time I went in, they had a bunch of plant clippings scattered on a table for whoever wanted them. Free kids events, which I used all the time before my kid could go to preschool, and I needed a dang breather.

I know it's a boring thing to say, but goddamn I love libraries. Sure, parts of it are like a daycare center with screaming kids, but that's what headphones are for.

Teachers, nurses, and librarians are the best kinds of people and I wish they ran the whole dang world instead of the bozos currently in charge.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bad Purchase posted:

all of my posts are jokes, except this one, which is a jape

Protip: Jokes are usually funny.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I have become a convert to wireless charging. If you don't have a wireless charging pad or stand in every room then are you even living?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

aniviron posted:

Do you live in an atomic powerplant?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
There are plenty of places where wifi won't work well, and even in the best of times $100 of copper is better than $1000 of wifi

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

The Library. Haven't bought a book in a real long time, and my county ships books to my nearest branch for free, through a website or app. Audiobooks, lecture series, magazines, movies, all streaming for free (though with a more limited selection than for-pay options). Chill there and get some work done without having to pay for a cup of coffee, and use the free wifi. Hell, borrow a laptop while you're at it. And yes, I'm lame enough to borrow DVDs and CDs too.

My local branch has a seed catalog and last time I went in, they had a bunch of plant clippings scattered on a table for whoever wanted them. Free kids events, which I used all the time before my kid could go to preschool, and I needed a dang breather.

I know it's a boring thing to say, but goddamn I love libraries. Sure, parts of it are like a daycare center with screaming kids, but that's what headphones are for.

Teachers, nurses, and librarians are the best kinds of people and I wish they ran the whole dang world instead of the bozos currently in charge.

A thousand times libraries. I can access my NY library’s ebook and audiobook in Sweden and it’s been a lifesaver, it’s how I read the Illuminatus trilogy for the first time. My Swedish library has access to something similar but hoo boy that app stinks on ice, BUT I can access the VOD service which has tons of solid movies, a lot of criterion grade films.

Nonetheless, the adage remains true
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNHA3freEYQ

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My library has a feature online where you can request books that they don’t have and they’ll buy them and make them available.

I did it for a book, figuring that maybe in a few months they’d get to it or whatever, but I got an email less than two weeks later telling me it was ready for me to check out!

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
One of our local libraries has specialty cake pans to borrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Parsnips. They are a delicious and it seems most people around my age don’t even know what they look like. They are a top notch ingredient for lentil soup.

Captain Splendid posted:

Cut into batons and air-fried for 18 minutes with salt, pepper and olive oil...

or...

Combined with a leek and a potato for the best soup

This is the soup I've been making in the cold months for the last couple years and it owns.
https://www.marthastewart.com/1163545/roasted-parsnip-soup-chorizo

Thanks for the air fryer idea. What temp do you use? I want to try that.