Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Poil posted:

Are there any decent mods to hire an argonian space pirate buddy so we can Steel Rain down to the surface of a moon in a drop pod and help a group of khajiit workers free their sugar mine from deathclaws?

NO ALIENS IN THIS BARREN SCI-FI UNIVERSE <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Poil posted:

Are there any decent mods to hire an argonian space pirate buddy so we can Steel Rain down to the surface of a moon in a drop pod and help a group of khajiit workers free their sugar mine from deathclaws?

Bethesda hire this poster

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

PinheadSlim posted:

Bethesda hire this poster

Bethesda fired that poster

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

This game would be 1,000 times better if fast traveling between planets took like 2 or 3 minutes and you used that time to talk to your companions, do ship maintenance etc, while seeing cool hyperdrive effects thru the windows. Treat your ship like the camp in RDR2.

Part of cool sci fi is hanging out on your ship and playing Space Chess en route to the next planet.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

If only there was a game where long quantum jumps were possible...

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Reading reddit posts about this game is funny, currently they're all on this thing of writing fanfiction about how bad the game would be if they added the things people want. Just long multi-paragraph posts about how actually if you could fly between planets in this game you only would have played it for 5 minutes because every flight would be several minutes of just flying through space and absolutely no one would find that fun!!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

They're right

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

smoobles posted:

This game would be 1,000 times better if fast traveling between planets took like 2 or 3 minutes and you used that time to talk to your companions, do ship maintenance etc, while seeing cool hyperdrive effects thru the windows. Treat your ship like the camp in RDR2.

Part of cool sci fi is hanging out on your ship and playing Space Chess en route to the next planet.

i need a game that's just outer wilds but with guns, + all this

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

starfield shouldve been like wind waker

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

Reading reddit posts about this game is funny, currently they're all on this thing of writing fanfiction about how bad the game would be if they added the things people want. Just long multi-paragraph posts about how actually if you could fly between planets in this game you only would have played it for 5 minutes because every flight would be several minutes of just flying through space and absolutely no one would find that fun!!

the post from a little while back about how loading screens are good because you had to wait for the amiga 40 years ago are peak reddit lol

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

the post from a little while back about how loading screens are good because you had to wait for the amiga 40 years ago are peak reddit lol

It's very striking how Bethesda fans have so little imagination that they can't even conceptualize literally any facet of Starfield being better than it is right now. They make up excuses for how if anything was better, actually it would be worse. If they got rid of the loading screens you would be OVERWHELMED with the number of PoIs you could explore!! No one wants that, how awful! We would all quit playing the game RIGHT AWAY if there was more to do!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

smoobles posted:

That's probably all it would take. Add in some random events and character development during that time and it's considerably better. Right now, seconds after shooting a hundred people in a mine, Sarah will say "I've got something for you" and hand you a stalk of spice which I guess she picked up for no reason. Then she'll have a long conversation about her survivor's guilt while heaps of bodies are scattered around her. It's completely incongruous with what's going on and conversations would feel way less jarring if they happened in quiet moments rather than shortly after mass slaughter.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sure but uh I'd like to choose to be able to fly to earth from Mars at least once??? I mean how cool wouldn it be to hit auto pilot and have your shop flying while you do crafting or some poo poo in the back and get to have a window view of space. The final frontier

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's very striking how Bethesda fans have so little imagination that they can't even conceptualize literally any facet of Starfield being better than it is right now. They make up excuses for how if anything was better, actually it would be worse. If they got rid of the loading screens you would be OVERWHELMED with the number of PoIs you could explore!! No one wants that, how awful! We would all quit playing the game RIGHT AWAY if there was more to do!

That Bethesda still cannot optimize enough for interiors to not be separate cells requiring a loading screen to transition to is insane. Like it's not just that they're using what is basically the same engine since Morrowind, it's that they seem totally uninterested in getting any better at actually using it. The floating vendor storage chests, all the disconnected interiors, the comically bad ragdolling and just general physics stuff that's been lazily bolted onto the side in the exact same manner in every Bethesda game since Oblivion, the list goes on.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Sure but uh I'd like to choose to be able to fly to earth from Mars at least once??? I mean how cool wouldn it be to hit auto pilot and have your shop flying while you do crafting or some poo poo in the back and get to have a window view of space. The final frontier

Oh absolutely. Sam Coe goes on at length about peaceful the emptiness of space is and it's like cool bud I'll have to take your word for it because I'll literally never see it.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

cumpantry posted:

The target audience for Starfield

I don't understand why starfield is for hyper muscle furries. But that's ok, more game for them and less for me because it suuuuucks lol.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
This rubbish got me to finally check out SpaceEngine.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

cumpantry posted:

starfield shouldve been like wind waker

yep, now there’s an idea

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

they shoulda made it part of the elder scrolls universe IMO but then again im not a rootin tootin high falootin game dev

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

they shoulda made it part of the elder scrolls universe IMO but then again im not a rootin tootin high falootin game dev

this game will be cool when a total conversion comes out that replaces all the spaceships with dwemer-built ones and poo poo

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I love how they decided to place their game in the most boring era of their new sci-fi universe. Like if they'd moved the plot 20 or so years earlier there'd be a war featuring Libertarian space cowboys piloting Gundams, the Space Fascists and their bioengineered war-monstrosities, and active conflict with the fanatical theocracy and their hungry extradimensional Snake God.

Instead it's set now, when the Gundams are all decommissioned junk, the biohorrors are mostly dead, and the Snake Cultists are so isolationist you can't even go to their planet and just stumble upon the odd covert terror cell.

Nobody even gives a poo poo about exploring space anymore, everyone has enough space, Constellation is a joke organization that people respect out of nostalgia for a bygone, more interesting age.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
All the dwemer that disappeared went into the Starfield universe, then immediately killed themselves out of despair and boredom

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
The club in Neon has the most bland, almost elevator or while you're on hold tier music. It's clearly what old white c-suites think is poo poo hot music. Someone should make a mod that replaces it with the strongbad cheat rave song or that badger one.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
At least Starfield is better than payday 3.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

make that fat dwemer from morrowind a planet

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

chainchompz posted:

The club in Neon has the most bland, almost elevator or while you're on hold tier music. It's clearly what old white c-suites think is poo poo hot music. Someone should make a mod that replaces it with the strongbad cheat rave song or that badger one.

but but it was written by space bjork

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

EorayMel posted:

At least Starfield is better than payday 3.

Not going to lie, Payday 3 is an unplayable main menu simulator right now but I've already put more hours into it than I did with Starfield.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

technology is not yet ready to portray the nasty hair-covered interior of a khajit starship

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Also all of the negative reviews about Payday 3 are because the game has literally been unplayable since it launched yesterday, their matchmaking servers have been down the entire time. Those negative reviews are all people who really want to play the game.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MrQwerty posted:

NO ALIENS IN THIS BARREN SCI-FI UNIVERSE <:mad:>

Eh it's not like Bethesda would have come up with any cool ideas for aliens. They'd just be blue and talk about honor.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

smoobles posted:

I think you’re on to something. Best part of Mass Effect was wandering around the ship, checking in with the crew and seeing what new poo poo they had to say. Same with KOTOR.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
They could have even ripped off some KOTOR stuff as random encounters. Like they could've had a random event in the style of the beginning of KOTOR 2.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
I’m so bummed to hear all the negative response to this game. It seemed so extremely up my alley - I loved the Fallout games and even really liked The Outer Worlds, which I know isn’t a popular take. In general I like Bethesda RPGs and I really like space themes.

The issue is that I’d have to buy an Xbox to play it as the only hardware I currently have is a Switch and a MacBook. And I was 100% ready to do that. Now I’m leaning towards just getting No Man’s Sky on my Switch to scratch the space game itch

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Big City Drinkin posted:

I’m so bummed to hear all the negative response to this game. It seemed so extremely up my alley - I loved the Fallout games and even really liked The Outer Worlds, which I know isn’t a popular take. In general I like Bethesda RPGs and I really like space themes.

The issue is that I’d have to buy an Xbox to play it as the only hardware I currently have is a Switch and a MacBook. And I was 100% ready to do that. Now I’m leaning towards just getting No Man’s Sky on my Switch to scratch the space game itch

If you really want to play it, you can get gamepass for $10/month and then pay another $10/month for GeForce Now to stream it to your macbook. I didn't think it was worth subbing to just Gamepass for (but Lies of P totally was) but people who are really into the bethesda schtick seem to like it

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Big City Drinkin posted:

It's actually pretty playable and fun despite the haters as long as you weren't expecting it to be all you ever wanted out of a spacemans game.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

lol that "pretty playable" is the best a fan can come up with to describe starfield

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
If I could walk around some locations in Elite Dangerous itd be perfect

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

cumpantry posted:

lol that "pretty playable" is the best a fan can come up with to describe starfield

Starfield got me to play some NMS and I named some dumb looking lizard cat after my cat a couple days ago

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'd say starfield is even more than "pretty playable" but the problem with it is that it's an impossibly tiny island of content inside a big empty ocean. If the very specific part of Bethesda games you liked was doing the quests or building settlements then you'll probably like starfield, but if the part you liked was literally anything else Bethesda games do you'll just be disappointed to find out that it was removed here.

I don't think many people actually wanted it to be the best space game they could possibly imagine, they just wanted it to be a standard Bethesda game instead of a thin and very specific slice of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

MrQwerty posted:

Starfield got me to play some NMS and I named some dumb looking lizard cat after my cat a couple days ago

i was thinking of trying NMS on the rift s... but i'm not sure if its gameplay loop is all that captivating either. there sure is a lot of new stuff that wasn't there at launch though