Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Thread title is spot on lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

fosborb posted:

so where is the $190 coming from? retail cost is ~$120. is CVS throwing $60 overhead on a 10 minute shot?

I feel like an early recollection from initial vaccine rollout was the VACCINE is free, but insurance was being charged to administer it. Perhaps that is going on again.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Parity warning posted:

[Pestilence] “They keep just hoping it’ll go away.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Many national Democrats are not interested in more people getting vaccines. They see value in keeping “vaccine hesitancy” around as a social issue.

quote:

“If you’re dying of Covid today, you didn’t take precautions,” Becerra said during a POLITICO health summit in June, taking an oblique shot at Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and other prominent Republicans who have advanced anti-vaccine theories. “If you listened to someone who said you didn’t have to take that precaution, it’s not just your fault, it’s the fault of that leader who doesn’t give you the best information. If leaders choose not to take care of their people, that’s on them.”

Griz
May 21, 2001

fosborb posted:

so where is the $190 coming from? retail cost is ~$120. is CVS throwing $60 overhead on a 10 minute shot?

Walgreens quoted me $170ish

giant fee is the natural end result of a broken system where pharmacies and local health departments have to guess how many doses they'll need, pay out of pocket for them, and then only get reimbursed for half the cost of however many doses they actually managed to administer

quote:

The federal government previously paid roughly $20 per dose for the first round of coronavirus immunizations. The updated vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna are priced at $120 and $129, respectively, on the commercial market.

Many health departments may not be able to cover the costs of these newer formulations, according to Freeman, even with reimbursements. “Some of the challenges we’re seeing specifically with the local health departments’ involvement are that there are some billing issues with the vaccine in that the reimbursement available to local health departments is less than the cost of the vaccine,” Freeman said.

She noted one reimbursement rate she has been told of is $65 for every $120 dose.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4214770-new-covid-vaccine-campaign-off-to-a-bumpy-start/

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

just got a Paxlovid scrip through Sesame care, wahoooo

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm actually feeling just fine but I can tell it's happening. sore throat for 36 hours, and its trying to climb up

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Huh?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-vacccine-booster-flu-shot-for-fall-2023-fda/ posted:

How FDA's top vaccines official is timing his COVID booster and flu shot for fall 2023
(..)
Marks [ed. Dr. Peter Marks, director of the FDA's Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research] said it was possible that health authorities might allow for another dose to be offered to some vulnerable groups later in the fall and winter.

"I think if we saw that it appeared that people might benefit in a few months from an additional dose, we would probably work with our CDC colleagues to issue a recommendation at that time. But right now we are just talking about a single recommendation, a single dose," he said.
(..)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

god drat. I can feel it climbing up.

they nailed it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pete Marks posted:

I think if we saw that it appeared that people might benefit in a few months from an additional dose, we would probably work with our CDC colleagues to issue a recommendation at that time. But right now we are just talking about a single recommendation, a single dose

I hate these motherfuckers who hide behind “the science” not being in yet, when there’s been ample support for years.

Sure, neutralizing antibody titers wane rapidly and lead to more common and more severe disease when encountering SARS‑CoV‑2 in laboratory animals, in human volunteers, in the general population, but that was only from the original formulation mRNA, the original formulation Novavax protein subunit, the viral vector vaccines by Janssen and Oxford, the WT/BA.1 bivalent mRNA, the WT/BA.5 bivalent mRNA, inactivated virus, infection‐acquired immunity, and sundry uncommon and experimental vaccines.

We just can’t know that Comirnaty® Kraken Edition won’t provide sterilizing immunity for life!

mooshiga
Sep 29, 2021

Soap Scum posted:

if you don't mind me asking, roughly how long have you been teaching? and did any of these things (mid-year staff quits) happen before, but just at like a fraction of the frequency?

anyway yeah sounds miserable and i feel for you / all teachers in this hell country

about 15 years now. attrition on my campus year over year was always pretty low, then May-Dec 2020 we had mass resignations, and much higher attrition at the end of each semester ever since then. I’ve hardly ever seen people just get a few weeks in and nope out before COVID.

budget and staffing cuts are a compounding problem. everything’s just harder for everyone in every possible way. if you’re not invested enough or bloody-minded enough, it doesn’t make sense as a life decision to stay in public ed right now, at least where I’m at.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Soap Scum posted:

i think they're describing taking a super thicccc MERV13 filter -- such as one of these guys here -- and just taping that directly to the back side of a 20"x20" box fan. so like two pieces total, one fan, one 4" filter

Dang that looks wild- and honestly it's cheaper as well (4 filters cost me $108 at Ace). Maybe it's just psychological but I feel a bit better about the fan forcing air upwards to the ceiling rather than having a single filter one forcing air forward at ground level.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Metrix guys just started direct to consumer pre-sales and (for the moment) the prices are a lot cheaper than Peach Medical was listing:

https://www.aptitudemedical.com/product-for-home-use-presale

Reader was $75 on Peach, it's $50 on the manufacturer website
Test kits were $50 on peach, $30 on the manufacturer website

They also have a bundle which is basically buy 12 tests @ $30, get a free reader

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

mdemone posted:

I'm actually feeling just fine but I can tell it's happening. sore throat for 36 hours, and its trying to climb up

excellent that your symptoms aren't bad for now but yeah gobble up that pax, you'll be glad you did, despite the taste. don't wait til you have to experience what euphronius did :')

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Dang that looks wild- and honestly it's cheaper as well (4 filters cost me $108 at Ace). Maybe it's just psychological but I feel a bit better about the fan forcing air upwards to the ceiling rather than having a single filter one forcing air forward at ground level.

a few dollars of customized hosed up ikea shelves could make that work for you >_>

but yeah having a high powered fan blowing all the time, especially as we get into the winter, can also be a real obstacle. whatever works in your context is 💯

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

mooshiga posted:

about 15 years now. attrition on my campus year over year was always pretty low, then May-Dec 2020 we had mass resignations, and much higher attrition at the end of each semester ever since then. I’ve hardly ever seen people just get a few weeks in and nope out before COVID.

budget and staffing cuts are a compounding problem. everything’s just harder for everyone in every possible way. if you’re not invested enough or bloody-minded enough, it doesn’t make sense as a life decision to stay in public ed right now, at least where I’m at.

gonna go out on a limb here with a controversial take: things seem bad

anyway yeah that's rough to hear and i appreciate the first hand account. i started off as a teacher just after college, but then after a couple years i concluded i wasn't enough of a martyr for how badly the government and parents wanted to kill me for being a teacher and peaced out. super sad because i really loved teaching math and comp sci to awkward 17yo nerds or whatever but yeah, it really takes an unreal level of mission-driven-ness to withstand what's going on there, it seems to me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mdemone posted:

they nailed it

smoke harder, and gargle with listerine. monopolize your ace2 receptors and flush this fucker out like booze and methanol*

e: *this is not medical advice :2bong:

Fur20 has issued a correction as of 00:00 on Sep 23, 2023

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yinz need to be buying from the OG Rosenthal himself: https://www.texairfilters.com/4-filter-corsi-rosenthal-box-merv-13-filters/ $60 for 4 20x20x2 MERV 13 filters. Not sure if they have 4" but that seems like overkill imo?

Strep Vote has issued a correction as of 00:02 on Sep 23, 2023

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Maybe it's just psychological but I feel a bit better about the fan forcing air upwards to the ceiling rather than having a single filter one forcing air forward at ground level.

You'll never get the big chair with that attitude :dementia:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fur20 posted:

smoke harder, and gargle with listerine. monopolize your ace2 receptors and flush this fucker out like booze and methanol*

e: *this is not medical advice :2bong:

oooh the listerine is smart. the plan is to smoke continuously until 9pm and then sleep until Sunday.

thank god my kids are with their mom this weekend

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bottled waters have started up, I'm three deep

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
my 6-7yr old got her shot at cvs , would be nice if others got it, gonna guess under 12 % gonna be less than 5%

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

Many national Democrats are not interested in more people getting vaccines. They see value in keeping “vaccine hesitancy” around as a social issue.
The only things they have going for them at this point are that they aren't totally fascist and aren't actively trying to destroy rights for everyone who isn't a rich cishet white dude.

mdemone posted:

they nailed it
gl goon, sorry you got got

The Oldest Man posted:

The Metrix guys just started direct to consumer pre-sales and (for the moment) the prices are a lot cheaper than Peach Medical was listing:

https://www.aptitudemedical.com/product-for-home-use-presale

Reader was $75 on Peach, it's $50 on the manufacturer website
Test kits were $50 on peach, $30 on the manufacturer website

They also have a bundle which is basically buy 12 tests @ $30, get a free reader
Anyone have any idea on the expiry dates on these tests? 12 PCR-grade tests @ $30 each is attractive.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Zugzwang posted:

gl goon, sorry you got got

it was a matter of time. I had a good run.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

mdemone posted:

the plan is to smoke continuously until 9pm and then sleep until Sunday.

i don't even have covid but same

mdemone posted:

bottled waters have started up, I'm three deep

oh but uhhhh careful maybe, drinking water too much/too fast is also legit dangerous. almost killed my music teacher once. good luck :')

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

Anyone have any idea on the expiry dates on these tests? 12 PCR-grade tests @ $30 each is attractive.

No idea but they're a brand new test manufacturer, not some short-coded lucira bullshit.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

The journey begins

check what percentage of it might be ‘degraded’ if it weasels around and says something like ‘up to’ 25% send it back. and take care not to heat it too high for too long.

mahler_biryani
Jan 28, 2023
Another school anecdote. Went to back-to-school night* at my son's school a couple days ago. The schedule had to be heavily modified last minute, because many teachers were missing. Instead of having each grade's parents go see their particular teacher, the groups were combined with a single teacher representing the same (or related) subject for multiple grades. This did not happen even in the last two years. Covid wave is massive this time it seems. Also, the school was covid cautious** for the first two years of the pandemic. Last school year was the first one pretending pandemic does not exist. So for last year's back-to-school night, everyone's immune systems were less destroyed I guess. Now, the school's teachers caught up :smith: . I did see two more N95s and a few KF94s/KN95s. There is one other kid in my son's class that masks.

* Parents rotate through the classrooms with each teacher having a short presentation on what they are going to teach the kids this year.

** I mentioned this before, but there was PCR testing for everyone at least once a week, and 2-3 times a week during waves. Masking mandates lasted well into 2021-2022 school year too. Real effort to keep windows/doors open as much as possible. And lunch has always been outside. The last one is the only remaining precaution and the only reason I am still paying for this private school.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Zugzwang posted:

Peach Medical says, "EXP DATE: 04/21/2024" and presumably they have older stock than aptitude would be selling directly. But hell also could be aptitude selling directly because they are also about to go under so WHO KNOWS!*

*probably it's not this, maybe

edit:
just placing an order myself, FYI shipping is $15 (I'm getting one reader and 3 tests).

tangy yet delightful has issued a correction as of 01:19 on Sep 23, 2023

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

tangy yet delightful posted:

Peach Medical says, "EXP DATE: 04/21/2024" and presumably they have older stock than aptitude would be selling directly. But hell also could be aptitude selling directly because they are also about to go under so WHO KNOWS!*

*probably it's not this, maybe

edit:
just placing an order myself, FYI shipping is $15 (I'm getting one reader and 3 tests).

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/chapotraphouse/status/1705370901351682116?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw
chapo’s on hiatus due to matt christman suffering a near fatal medical emergency, described only as a “totally normal-style sudden medical emergency that happens to normal people,” which is a joke about people thinking he got epsteined but also mirrors the widespread belief that having major heart attacks or strokes at age 40 is totally normal these days. the folks on the recording don’t want anyone to be speculative little freaks, but they sound badly shaken up and I am too, and sometimes I just despair that we aren’t even trying to turn this around. his baby’s on the way this week.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Just saw this posted, I don't know anything about it but I figured I'd share it in case anyone was looking for something like this.

https://twitter.com/VirusesImmunity/status/1705377017544487192

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

sonatinas posted:

my 6-7yr old got her shot at cvs , would be nice if others got it, gonna guess under 12 % gonna be less than 5%

mine too! :hfive:

edit: thanks again for the tip about CVS

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
DO NOT SPECULATE ABOUT THIS POST

but

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
^^ lol

emgeejay posted:

https://twitter.com/chapotraphouse/status/1705370901351682116?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw
chapo’s on hiatus due to matt christman suffering a near fatal medical emergency, described only as a “totally normal-style sudden medical emergency that happens to normal people,” which is a joke about people thinking he got epsteined but also mirrors the widespread belief that having major heart attacks or strokes at age 40 is totally normal these days. the folks on the recording don’t want anyone to be speculative little freaks, but they sound badly shaken up and I am too, and sometimes I just despair that we aren’t even trying to turn this around. his baby’s on the way this week.

yeah I hope this doesn't fall into the celebrity speculation mod hole.

it's happening over and over to everybody

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
“please, please don’t be weird little freaks about any of this”

I got some bad news about Chapo listeners

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Fireside Nut posted:

mine too! :hfive:

edit: thanks again for the tip about CVS

you’re welcome! another parent I know is getting their kid a shot tomorrow, there dozens of us!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you’re dying of Covid today, you didn’t take precautions,” Becerra said during a POLITICO health summit in June,

the amount of sophisticated evil in this statement is impressive

it’s pure evil

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Soap Scum posted:

excellent that your symptoms aren't bad for now but yeah gobble up that pax, you'll be glad you did, despite the taste. don't wait til you have to experience what euphronius did :')

I’m like symptom free after 48 hours of paxlovid

it’s the best drug ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

euphronius posted:

I’m like symptom free after 48 hours of paxlovid

it’s the best drug ever

and you're gonna be a good lil biochemistry machine and take all your remaining doses so your immune system gets its best chance possible