Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
fuckin legislatures, how do they work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the Squid Game reality show is so on the nose that I'm for it. we really do just want to watch guys get hit in the balls on TV

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

HallelujahLee posted:

Gov. Gavin Newsom is pressing the U.S. Supreme Court to review a controversial ruling that has prevented cities from clearing homeless encampments.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/...nd%20sidewalks.

not sure why this is needed??

Tennessee banned being homeless a year or 2 ago. just copy Tennessee

so simple

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Xaris posted:

not sure why this is needed??

Tennessee banned being homeless a year or 2 ago. just copy Tennessee

so simple

hes gotta pretend or something before turning the houseless into soylent green

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

just pass a law easily

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
2028 Presidential Debate
"Mr Newsom you've said a lot about protecting the 6,000,000 homeless in California but didn't you specifically request the "gently caress Homeless People Ragged" bill?"
"No. Absolutely not. The bill I had involvement with was a completely different bill proposed 2 years before the FHPR."
"Well that proves it. Thank you Mr Newsom."

Snopes Rates Newsom loving the homeless as FALSE. He actually proposed the "gently caress Homeless People to Death" bill. FHPD is not FHPR.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

It wasn't an executive order that banned the rail strike.

The Railway Labor Act required congress to vote on imposing that contract on the workers exactly as if they were voting on a law, since they easily had the bipartisan filibuster-proof votes to do that, they could just as easily pass new anti-striking laws on other industries.

I don't see Congress being functional enough to pull that off, but the Taft-Hartley Act gives the executive branch power to order an injunction on any strike that endangers national health or safety, loosely defined

basically, you can count on the feds stepping in if it's a big strike that fucks with interstate commerce or energy, and there's a non-zero chance for stuff like a health care workers' strike

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

:sickos:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Willa Rogers posted:

menendez had to do corruption so he could afford to give his wife a full pair of jeans.

what the actual gently caress

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

mistermojo posted:

the Squid Game reality show is so on the nose that I'm for it. we really do just want to watch guys get hit in the balls on TV

🎵 america, america this is you 🎵

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

isn’t that literally the torment nexus joke

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

euphronius posted:

railroad strike was a different law

not as easy for Biden in these other ones

though he still could try and gently caress it up

railroads stopping are a fundamentally different situation.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Willa Rogers posted:

I was reading a thread on DU about pet insurance and these figures blew my mind:

I know a lot of veterinary practices are owned by hedge funds these days, and that vet costs have mirrored the increase in people's hc costs, but jesus christ, 6 large for stomach-pumping?

Can only rich people afford animals now, or is it a matter of poor pet owners putting them down rather than paying these costs?

As a kid i wanted to be a vet so at 14 i started volunteering at our vets office every moment of spare time i had.

I quit wanting to be a vet by age 15 because i kept seeing animals get put down because owners couldnt afford to help them and lots of animal cruelty that was non state actionable.

It hosed me up a lot. And this was in like 2001.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Jesus lol :sad:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

please clap

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

HallelujahLee posted:

Gov. Gavin Newsom is pressing the U.S. Supreme Court to review a controversial ruling that has prevented cities from clearing homeless encampments.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/...nd%20sidewalks.

please die

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Willa Rogers posted:

menendez had to do corruption so he could afford to give his wife a full pair of jeans.

did they just get back from watching an above ground nuclear weapons test

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!

he looks very greasy for some resaon

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

insane clown pussy posted:

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

Kaiser will fold insanely quickly. Unlike auto manufactures, there’s no backlog of goods to burn through and hiring scabs for licensed professionals is insanely difficult if not impossible.

Idk this is only a 3 day strike, not open ended, so the company has no reason to move on anything until after to see if the workers are willing to escalate. Also this is an SEIU workplace and SEIU is generally a trash rear end conciliatory org, but I know absolutely nothing about the conditions at this local or the effected workplaces. Just to temper expectations. Good poo poo for any workplace of this size to engage in a strike of any scope though

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

insane clown pussy posted:

They're from New Jersey, same poo poo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

thats jh ust how italians are

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

In Training posted:

Idk this is only a 3 day strike, not open ended, so the company has no reason to move on anything until after to see if the workers are willing to escalate. Also this is an SEIU workplace and SEIU is generally a trash rear end conciliatory org, but I know absolutely nothing about the conditions at this local or the effected workplaces. Just to temper expectations. Good poo poo for any workplace of this size to engage in a strike of any scope though
seiu is getting a little better but yes they're pretty toothless

kaisers are weird because they're generally large buildings with, on the front-end, tons of kiosks/service windows/front desk/etc that once were clearly staffed but like all of them boarded up with signs to go somewhere else to check-in or whatever, like maybe 20% of the staffing it was designed for.

but then on the back-end like ERs and rooms are really booked so like there's just TONS of people on stretchers laid out in hallways moaning and constantly frantic and the ER-waiting rooms have like 1/10th the staffing they should have

This particular instance is not necessary about worker pay/bennies but rather understaffing. So it's not like "ok we're we're askign for 10% raise but ur offering 2%, cool ok we're getting back to work".. I expect it'll be even more toothless wherein the executives n trustees send out a letter acknowledging that there are problems and W e P r o m i s e T o D o B e t t e r and that will be that... for now. essentially the demand is asking executives to Do Better!. which is easy to placate in the short-term and avert a strike easily. I think SEIU is hoping to get an acknowledgement but doesn't actually plan to strike-strike per se, we'll see what bluffs get called.

Kaiser is also a weird organization because it is ostensibly non-profit but it's more like a coalition of various for-profit wings and non-profit wings. the Plan Administration (Medical Group) is non-profit because that's what takes in the money. but then various medical wings are actually for-profit organizations that it contracts to within the same umbrella, like kaiser psychiatry is a for-profit entity not related to the plan administrative non-profit

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:32 on Sep 23, 2023

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Xaris posted:

kaisers are weird because they're generally large buildings with, on the front-end, tons of kiosks/service windows/front desk/etc that once were clearly staffed but like all of them boarded up with signs to go somewhere else to check-in or whatever, like maybe 20% of the staffing it was designed for.

but then on the back-end like ERs and rooms are really booked so like there's just TONS of people on stretchers laid out in hallways moaning and constantly frantic and the ER-waiting rooms have like 1/10th the staffing they should have

Working as intended, thank you

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

Xaris posted:

thats jh ust how italians are

not going to disagree

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

hes a new source of oil

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

dismissive Italian gestures

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

RadiRoot posted:

hes a new source of oil

oh so that's how hes gunna get $2/gal gas

well he might have just earned my vote

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
squeegeeing every italian and wringing out rags into my car engine

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Xaris posted:

This particular instance is not necessary about worker pay/bennies but rather understaffing. So it's not like "ok we're we're askign for 10% raise but ur offering 2%, cool ok we're getting back to work".. I expect it'll be even more toothless wherein the executives n trustees send out a letter acknowledging that there are problems and W e P r o m i s e T o D o B e t t e r and that will be that... for now. essentially the demand is asking executives to Do Better!. which is easy to placate in the short-term and avert a strike easily. I think SEIU is hoping to get an acknowledgement but doesn't actually plan to strike-strike per se, we'll see what bluffs get called.

Kaiser is also a weird organization because it is ostensibly non-profit but it's more like a coalition of various for-profit wings and non-profit wings. the Plan Administration (Medical Group) is non-profit because that's what takes in the money. but then various medical wings are actually for-profit organizations that it contracts to within the same umbrella, like kaiser psychiatry is a for-profit entity not related to the plan administrative non-profit

Is SEIU directly competing with National Nurses United now or did they merge? I thought SEIU was mainly hospital service workers like orderlies & CNAs.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Willa Rogers posted:

Is SEIU directly competing with National Nurses United now or did they merge? I thought SEIU was mainly hospital service workers like orderlies & CNAs.

They merged with UHW-West awhile back, not sure the entire extent that's covered but i think its most kaiser staff

so i guess it's different than the global chapter. But yeah not a big fan of SEIU as a whole, at least for now. im afscme which is ok but there was some rumors about merging with seiu awhile back which I woulda been mad about if that happened

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:21 on Sep 23, 2023

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/sf_mills/status/1705065176620474569?t=BaCzX7BSh0CZq_46ivnxAg&s=19

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
how come the gov can force striking workers back to work because it’s an emergency but they can’t force the company to meet the unions terms because it’s an emergency? If anything if feels like the latter should be a lot easier (force one ceo or board members or w/e to sign a contract or give the company up to federal control vs forcing thousands of people at gunpoint to work against their will)

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

because our government operates on behalf of business not workers op

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

eXXon posted:

I have a good vet but they charge exorbitant fees for everything (and I have no other reasonable nearby options). I never got pet insurance for my old sick cat because it would have cost minimum $1500/year for incomplete coverage. Well, joke's on me because I'm sure I spent at least that much on him the last three years. The last visit cost nearly $1000 for a blood test to say he's terminal + euthanasia + cremation. :thanks:

They were also charging $75 a pop for subcutaneous fluid kits that consisted of saline solution ($10 from Chewy), an IV set ($5 from medical suppliers) and a handful of broad-gauge needles that cost pennies each but for some reason are difficult to order online even with a prescription and despite the fact that they're entirely unsuitable for use for nefarious purposes.

I'm sorry for your loss. :(. I recently went through a similar experience with my dog. His final vet visit cost ~$970 for tests plus euthanasia plus cremation, and even then I felt guilty for not paying for individual cremation because that was about $200 more.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

PoundSand posted:

how come the gov can force striking workers back to work because it’s an emergency but they can’t force the company to meet the unions terms because it’s an emergency? If anything if feels like the latter should be a lot easier (force one ceo or board members or w/e to sign a contract or give the company up to federal control vs forcing thousands of people at gunpoint to work against their will)

layers of laws (e.g. taft-hartley act) and supreme court decisions (supercharged laws; e.g. Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co. v. Sawyer) that were established to further enshrine the right to life, liberty and pursuit of property, so long as you're the spitting image of matt damon in the good shepherd

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

idk about the US but Canada doesn't seem to place many limits on either back-to-work legislation or binding arbitration. I did find this in the Labour Code though:

quote:

Offences and Punishment

Lockout contrary to this Part

100 (1) Every employer who declares or causes a lockout contrary to this Part is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars for each day that the lockout continues.

Idem

(2) Every person who, on behalf of an employer, declares or causes a lockout contrary to this Part is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding ten thousand dollars.

Strike contrary to this Part

(3) Every trade union that declares or authorizes a strike contrary to this Part is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars for each day that the strike continues.

Idem

(4) Every officer or representative of a trade union who declares or authorizes a strike contrary to this Part is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding ten thousand dollars.

The symmetry is neat, I'm sure megacorps and their CEOs are terrified at the prospect of having to pay $10k + $1k/day.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Azuth0667 posted:

40 days and 40 nights in FYAD.

a proper fyad train has no exit ramp, the poster must achieve enlightenment before they can escape samsara

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

eXXon posted:

idk about the US but Canada doesn't seem to place many limits on either back-to-work legislation or binding arbitration. I did find this in the Labour Code though:

The symmetry is neat, I'm sure megacorps and their CEOs are terrified at the prospect of having to pay $10k + $1k/day.

in the US the 7th amendment says that there is always a right to a trial by jury in all civil cases concerning a matter over an amount greater than $20. ie, by the literal text of the constitution binding arbitration can only possibly apply to disputes over less than $20, but luckily the supreme court has seen past the stultifying text of the constitution to make binding arbitration always valid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

2028 Presidential Debate
"Mr Newsom you've said a lot about protecting the 6,000,000 homeless in California but didn't you specifically request the "gently caress Homeless People Ragged" bill?"
"No. Absolutely not. The bill I had involvement with was a completely different bill proposed 2 years before the FHPR."
"Well that proves it. Thank you Mr Newsom."

Snopes Rates Newsom loving the homeless as FALSE. He actually proposed the "gently caress Homeless People to Death" bill. FHPD is not FHPR.

I watched a Lompoc city council meeting a few years ago for this class I was taking. They were discussing a program to use some city space as basically an overnight parking lot for use by the throngs of people living in RVs as an alternative to them parking on the streets. It was depressing to see even this tiny step receiving such opposition, and just the level of rhetoric seeking to dehumanize and otherize people was upsetting too.

AvesPKS has issued a correction as of 18:24 on Sep 23, 2023