Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you really want to play it, you can get gamepass for $10/month and then pay another $10/month for GeForce Now to stream it to your macbook. I didn't think it was worth subbing to just Gamepass for (but Lies of P totally was) but people who are really into the bethesda schtick seem to like it

That's what I'm doing since my pc can't run it that well, works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

It's pretty playable!
It boots up and I can shoot things so I just don't get the hate. :lofty:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

cumpantry posted:

i was thinking of trying NMS on the rift s... but i'm not sure if its gameplay loop is all that captivating either. there sure is a lot of new stuff that wasn't there at launch though

the gameplay loop isn't very captivating but it's a whole lot better than that piece of poo poo they released that I paid $60 for

it's a good time all zoned out on weed

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

cumpantry posted:

lol that "pretty playable" is the best a fan can come up with to describe starfield

I mean it's no Pong or running through the streets with a stick and hoop.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 23, 2023

A Tad Ghostal
Dec 2, 2014

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

chainchompz posted:

I mean it's no Pong or running through the streets with a stick and hoop.

Stick and hoop is the original gameplay loop

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

chainchompz posted:

It's actually pretty playable and fun despite the haters as long as you weren't expecting it to be all you ever wanted out of a spacemans game.

Honestly the only thing I'm hating is myself for buying a fallout 4 reskin.

There's definitely parts that aren't bad, but the whole just kind of sucks. If someone mods in basic features for outposts, and reworks the skill tree to not lock basic qol behind investment, I'll probably give it another go.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

See that planet? You can fly to it.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Toxic Mental posted:

If only there was a game where long quantum jumps were possible...

Or like, 5 games. If only...

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

A really fun game is one that makes you sit for two or three minutes to get where you actually want to go inside of a ship talking to dead eyed NPCs. People really love that poo poo. These three second loading screens though, I dunno about those...

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

verbal enema posted:

If I could walk around some locations in Elite Dangerous itd be perfect

You can on PC. No spacelegs on console though.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Anybody who expected seamless travel between planets is deluded. This is bethesda and their same engine as all the others, there's no way they would bother to overhaul that thing to allow something super cool like that.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Has anyone thought of how cool a game you have to be to allow the protagonist to bang the companions while you're hyperspacing to another star system? I mean come on now that could have been the sexy romance time. Like something really cool. Also I don't just mean that is what I want specifically in a game but features like that and making you able to be. And I emphasize the word able in all of this, but able to be cool things and do cool things. Sure fast travel can be an option and I should be able to check off fast travel or a more traditional flying system. But the customizability isn't even there.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Starfield debuted with a new engine though! An engine that's definitely not a new coat of paint on a 25 year old engine.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Grey Cat posted:

Starfield debuted with a new engine though! An engine that's definitely not a new coat of paint on a 25 year old engine.

it's called crash point 2.0

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

And where the bells the galactic radio station

Where is the 4 dog joke????

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Grey Cat posted:

I'm picturing two interns/junior devs spending 10 years figuring out how to make space fighting work with the skyrim engine, and then a panic 5 months before release and some fat guy who only works 4 hours a week solving the problem by pressing some RNG creation tool in a loop for 4 days. Hand in some reworded quests that are pulled directly from other Bethesda games, and you're done.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i heard that more than 50% of the code from the horse in oblivion made its way into the starfield space ships programming

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Deki posted:

Honestly the only thing I'm hating is myself for buying a fallout 4 reskin.

There's definitely parts that aren't bad, but the whole just kind of sucks. If someone mods in basic features for outposts, and reworks the skill tree to not lock basic qol behind investment, I'll probably give it another go.

That's easily my biggest complaint. I thought I was losing it when I couldn't use my stupid backpack jets without putting a skill point into it, and now I have way more "challenges" completed and awaiting skill points than skill points. Really should have just had you level up skills by doing the thing so nothing is gated from the beginning, and had leveling connect with something else like carry weight, O2, and HP.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

numberoneposter posted:

i heard that more than 50% of the code from the horse in oblivion made its way into the starfield space ships programming

Todd "Starcock" Howard included the horse armor dlc code FOR FREE for the space ships I don't understand how you could include more win in this game but my hat goes off to the fuggin bastard

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Just hit 39.7 hours into my first playthrough of Fallout New Vegas. I *just* got to Vegas.

This game owns. It's so good.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Philthy posted:

Just hit 39.7 hours into my first playthrough of Fallout New Vegas. I *just* got to Vegas.

Great game, when it came out initially on PS3 if I looked at vegas or got close to it the game crashed lol. Also my real life did.

Great game though. best of the series and I'm counting the first two. Really like the companions in it.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Philthy posted:

The actual strip or are you still in Freeside with The Kings?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I maintain that Fallout 2 is the most responsive all-time CRPG to player choice.
Any character, any actions, any decisions will be reacted to dynamically in the sandbox and it will adjust the experience to compensate.
Be an idiot sexual god or a genius western shooter-guy, it'll work either way.

NV comes close, but not quite.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

SRQ posted:

I maintain that Fallout 2 is the most responsive all-time CRPG to player choice.
Any character, any actions, any decisions will be reacted to dynamically in the sandbox and it will adjust the experience to compensate.
Be an idiot sexual god or a genius western shooter-guy, it'll work either way.

NV comes close, but not quite.

BG3?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i think you are being very charitable to fallout 2 there

it has lots of dialogue options (well, the 'stupid' path and the normal path) but i wouldn't call it dynamic really

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
stupid, normal, genius paths, plus modifiers based on karmic decisions for each of those paths which decide how your epilogue is constructed. Too bad the ghouls always get hosed up by vault city because of missing mission flag

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
you can also just kill people innit

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
F2 was good but that's also just how cRPGs were expected to be at least to a large extent before everyone got used to them being dumbed down and railroaded (where the illusion of player choice was preferable to the real thing)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

tango alpha delta posted:

The actual strip or are you still in Freeside with The Kings?

Freeside, the robot guys haven't let me in to the main area yet. Been mostly doing the BoS and NCR side quests exploring other vaults. So good.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

mysterious frankie posted:

Stick and hoop is the original gameplay loop

i freakkng love gameplay loop

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Philthy posted:

Freeside, the robot guys haven't let me in to the main area yet. Been mostly doing the BoS and NCR side quests exploring other vaults. So good.

It really is one of the best games I’ve ever played and the main reason I bought a Steamdeck.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Why is there an epileptic gang in starfi

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

having severe whiplash. after finishing starfield i've started playing yakuza 0. never played one of these games before. every single character is dripping with personality, all their faces look great, and everyone is so animated when they talk.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://kotaku.com/starfield-follow-bug-asteroid-cave-forest-new-atlantis-1850866171

Lol. Lol. Lol

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Bad Purchase posted:

having severe whiplash. after finishing starfield i've started playing yakuza 0. never played one of these games before. every single character is dripping with personality, all their faces look great, and everyone is so animated when they talk.

It's because the characters in starfield are all medicated with antidepressants to stop them from a realizing that they're residing inside of a bad game

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

It's because the characters in starfield are all medicated with antidepressants to stop them from a realizing that they're residing inside of a bad game

its easier to just say bethesda never learned anything about facial animation because of the Oblivion memes

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Just this entire video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njPSY-6dvuU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

27 pages and OP is still posting about Starfield. Say what you want but it certainly captures people's imagination and interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

syntaxfunction posted:

27 pages and OP is still posting about Starfield. Say what you want but it certainly captures people's imagination and interest.

It's been a while since a game has produced so much... unbridled emotion.