Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

No more nails might work. Forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Sentient Data posted:

Good old fashioned "just eyeball it" advice

I'd be amazed if you get a margin of error of less than 10db if you just tell random people to speak at a normal volume

It's just to give someone an idea and was the first example that came to mind - chose something else more consistent if you want!. This isn't a lab-grade installation.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gromit posted:

Somehow? Stand 1m away from it and speak. Then all someone needs to do is think about how loud normal speech is and will know it's less loud than that. My point is that so long as it is a consistent reading, you just need to compare it to something the reader would know.

Sentient Data posted:

Good old fashioned "just eyeball it" advice

I'd be amazed if you get a margin of error of less than 10db if you just tell random people to speak at a normal volume

Yeah it's not like it's difficult and might work for telling a running jet engine from a crying baby but we're talking barely audible fan noise here. Anyway, here's that app measured with an S22:

Quiet room, no AC, fans, fridge etc running: 28
Car driving by outside: 35
Talking "normally" from 1m: 55

Measured about 30cm away from the pc:
Idle : 28, fan is barely spinning and basically silent
Game load: 30 maaaybe.

Hope this is somehow helps. It's audible if you're not actually playing any sounds from the game, but it's one of the least obnoxious little fans, compared to a normal laptop fan for example. I wouldn't mind it but YMMV if you're really sensitive.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

codo27 posted:

Rearranged my office, I have one of these and wondering what sort of cheap poo poo can I buy to mount it under my desk?

If you're ever going to move it, I'd go to the hardware store and look for a bracket or something to secure to the desk that it can sit on. If it ain't moving ever, what the no more nails guy said.

E: or ask your local nerd to 3D print a bracket before pushing them into a locker.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Anyway, here's that app measured with an S22:

Quiet room, no AC, fans, fridge etc running: 28
Car driving by outside: 35
Talking "normally" from 1m: 55

Measured about 30cm away from the pc:
Idle : 28, fan is barely spinning and basically silent
Game load: 30 maaaybe.

Thanks for the measurements!

I actually found a fanless N100 Mini-PC. I will ruminate until I get money at the start of next month, then make the choice between these two.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Thanks for the measurements!

I actually found a fanless N100 Mini-PC. I will ruminate until I get money at the start of next month, then make the choice between these two.

You're welcome. Check out the one I linked in the previous post too, it's a bit cheaper and has an N200 version: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005853241227.html though your seem to have a giant heatsink on top but who knows what will work better.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

though your seem to have a giant heatsink on top

It's Ali, I can almost guarantee you it's plastic.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My fat belly mug came today and it is glorious.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805132947956.html

Handles are tiny and it will be a pain to wash properly but I don't care.

withak fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 22, 2023

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

enjoy your lead infused coffee I guess.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

makes the coffee taste sweeter calorie free in that case

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You still accumulate the weight though

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Do not bake the face.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

looks like some kind of fetish walrus

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Tad Naff posted:

Do not bake the face.

got confused there and thought it was something you should wear for branding cattle

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005747898617.html

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'd buy that as a pin.. sponge fe los muertos

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

And here I thought I was an edgelord for buying this one:

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

flavor.flv posted:

And here I thought I was an edgelord for buying this one:

great....now I need this

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
What does it even say I can’t see it on mobile

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

skyrim official store >
Skyrim Vintage Tarot Necklace for Women
DEATH, Silver, 40-45cm

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803370940711.html

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Opened the Ali app and all kinds of luggage on front page featured for nothing. Like $16-25 free shipping. Weird, has to be a scam store but it’s in all the featured crap.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I mean, it could be the same stuff with/without the known label. Could also be junkier versions. Can always read the reviews. Still best to count any money spent as gone, I guess, really.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

The only way I could see getting free shipping on something massive like luggage is if they filled it with a bunch of other peoples' orders at the warehouse.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The 'free shipping' is super gameable iirc, they judt need some option for a cheap item shipped free to china to get it on the thumbnail or something like that

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I’m pretty well versed, no cheap option. Just not worth the risk. Maybe a hell of a deal to jumpstart reviews maybe scam

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!
Just wanted to give an update on my experience with the N100 Mini PCs from AliExpress. Right off the bat, it's pretty great. That said there are a few things people should be made aware. First, it arrived with a EU power adapter and this wasn't really advertised on the listing, this was easily remedied though as 30W 12V 2.5A adapters are really easy to come by and cost like $12 tops. Second, while I was surprised that the Windows 11 Pro installation was registered, I would not bet against it being pirated and possibly full of malware, but this also didn't really matter because I reformatted the drive and installed Ubuntu on it. Other than that it's been smooth sailing. I paired it with a 4-bay HDD enclosure that you can also get on AliExpress but which is cheaper for some reason on Amazon, and then fitted it out with four 12TB drives set up in a RAIDZ array. It's been happily streaming to me, my parents, siblings and best friend all week sitting in the corner of my living room and not breaking a sweat. These really are like the perfect budget server solution, you could even do it cheaper by ditching the enclosure and the fancy ZFS RAID array and just hook it to up to an 8TB external HDD for a budget solution that would run you around $350 USD total.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Hellequin posted:

Just wanted to give an update on my experience with the N100 Mini PCs from AliExpress. Right off the bat, it's pretty great. That said there are a few things people should be made aware. First, it arrived with a EU power adapter and this wasn't really advertised on the listing, this was easily remedied though as 30W 12V 2.5A adapters are really easy to come by and cost like $12 tops. Second, while I was surprised that the Windows 11 Pro installation was registered, I would not bet against it being pirated and possibly full of malware, but this also didn't really matter because I reformatted the drive and installed Ubuntu on it. Other than that it's been smooth sailing. I paired it with a 4-bay HDD enclosure that you can also get on AliExpress but which is cheaper for some reason on Amazon, and then fitted it out with four 12TB drives set up in a RAIDZ array. It's been happily streaming to me, my parents, siblings and best friend all week sitting in the corner of my living room and not breaking a sweat. These really are like the perfect budget server solution, you could even do it cheaper by ditching the enclosure and the fancy ZFS RAID array and just hook it to up to an 8TB external HDD for a budget solution that would run you around $350 USD total.

link to that 4 bay enclosure, plz?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

hark posted:

link to that 4 bay enclosure, plz?

https://yottamaster.com/en-ca/products/yottamaster-4-bay-hard-drive-enclosure-with-cooling-fan

???

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Whats the difference between using a N100 box plus hdd encolsure vs a server tower?

I am currently using a 10+ year old HP Microserver, it can serve 1 plex stream just fine. But eventually I will have to get a new box when this one kicks the bucket. A small server tower can house at least 3 hdd. What's the cost and performance difference between a N100 setup and a tower setup?

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

That's almost the one I got, it's a little sketchy because different sites seem to have different options for what is ostensibly the same product, but I'm pretty sure there are four slightly different variants for both the 4-bay or 5-bay enclosures: USB 3.0 with hardware RAID, USB-C with hardware RAID and then a USB 3.0 and USB-C without the hardware RAID. I got the USB 3.0 without RAID because ZFS RAID is done entirely in software and that particular mini PC doesn't have any USB-C ports.

https://www.amazon.com/Yottamaster-...106&sr=8-3&th=1

stephenthinkpad posted:

Whats the difference between using a N100 box plus hdd encolsure vs a server tower?

I am currently using a 10+ year old HP Microserver, it can serve 1 plex stream just fine. But eventually I will have to get a new box when this one kicks the bucket. A small server tower can house at least 3 hdd. What's the cost and performance difference between a N100 setup and a tower setup?

Well the drives would be connected over USB rather than directly through SATA. The transfer rate of a SATA 3 connection is around 750 MB/s and USB 3.0's is 625 MB/s, so you'd see faster writes over SATA if you were using just SSDs, but HDDs aren't going to hit that speed because they're limited by their mechanical speeds, so on a day-to-day basis you wouldn't really notice a difference. On the compute side it'd be a strict upgrade over what you've got now. I can do six simultaneous 1080p streams and most of my files are H.265/10bit, and I've not tried more than six at once. I've seen some people online say that they can do three simultaneous 4k to 1080p HDR transcodes. And on the power consumption side, this would be a lot more efficient, the n100 is a 15W part, compare that to whatever Xeon you'd get in a mini server. Price would be a bit cheaper too, my whole setup with the drives was $1400 CAD.

Hellequin fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 26, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If you want a DIY NAS, there's a motherboard specifially for this though it's on the previous gen Jasper Lake for now and more expensive. But it has 6 SATA ports onboard at least: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005326619715.html

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Hellequin posted:

Did you ever link to the N100 you got (or does it matter?) I don't see it in a cursory glance at your post history. Looking at setting up a FreeNAS or similar myself, and that rig looks reasonable.

edit:

mobby_6kl posted:

If you want a DIY NAS, there's a motherboard specifially for this though it's on the previous gen Jasper Lake for now and more expensive. But it has 6 SATA ports onboard at least: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005326619715.html

Well, that's handy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mobby_6kl posted:

What does one connect to the “meker buruner” on the motherboard?

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

Darchangel posted:

Did you ever link to the N100 you got (or does it matter?) I don't see it in a cursory glance at your post history. Looking at setting up a FreeNAS or similar myself, and that rig looks reasonable.

Doesn't matter too much, any of them would do and there are probably better options with faster RAM, better connectivity and more robust cooling solutions, this is the one I got though. (Although again be aware that it comes with an EU plug.)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...id=xPAGJdB7lS6O

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Might depend on what exactly you want to hack together. The one I got has dual LAN which might be handy if you want to do link aggregation, the fan is always on but pretty quiet (see previous posts) and effective https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005234874016.html
There are also passively cooled versions intended as routers with 4 ports like this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005991073945.html

Subjunctive posted:

What does one connect to the “meker buruner” on the motherboard?
:iiam:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Hm I've been using an old Intel NUC5PPYH with a Pentium N3700 as a small home server. Would one of these N100 boxes be a decent upgrade for that?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I ended up getting an n100 mini PC to connect to my tv and it's a pretty nice jump in performance compared to older Celeron stuff although it's just equivalent to older i5 chips, like the 8th gen i5 CPUs that lots of used micro form factor computers have

I wonder if in another year the cheap mini PCs are going to start to have n300 CPUs (8 e cores). The specs on these cheap devices were stagnant for so long, so it's great that they're finally improving

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Hellequin posted:

Doesn't matter too much, any of them would do and there are probably better options with faster RAM, better connectivity and more robust cooling solutions, this is the one I got though. (Although again be aware that it comes with an EU plug.)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...id=xPAGJdB7lS6O

mobby_6kl posted:

Might depend on what exactly you want to hack together. The one I got has dual LAN which might be handy if you want to do link aggregation, the fan is always on but pretty quiet (see previous posts) and effective https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005234874016.html
There are also passively cooled versions intended as routers with 4 ports like this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005991073945.html

:iiam:

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Question for people obsessed with power saving, does having 2 NAS boxes (say with 2 hdd each) and doing a weekly/monthly backup save you half of the energy compared to a 4 bay NAS?

I am just curious, my electricity is included in my building maintenance.