Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

trevorreznik posted:

I've been casually enjoying Warrior for what I thought it was, but I just made it through S2E9 and holy moly, I am impressed. It worked pretty hard to earn this moment that I didn't really expect would be depicted so well

It rules so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

High Warlord Zog posted:

The Hidden (1987). Just a really solid little action/horror/buddy-cop hybrid. Kyle MacLachaln is proto Agent Dale Cooper as one half of the detective team. The baddie is a very goopy body jacking space bug that lives life like a particularly reckless and sadistic Grand Theft Auto player.

This sounds awesome

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

The first one only works thanks to Mickey Rourke's growling/drunken monologue in the middle. It pulls a not very good film together and gives it a heart and weight it hasn't really earned. The last shootout is pretty good. The second one is far too self aware without doing anything with it and is still pretty amateurishly made. The third one just sucks out loud.

i only saw the first one recently and i did enjoy Mickey Rourke and Sly Stallone having a mumble off where i had no idea what the gently caress either one of them was saying

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

High Warlord Zog posted:

The Hidden (1987). Just a really solid little action/horror/buddy-cop hybrid. Kyle MacLachaln is proto Agent Dale Cooper as one half of the detective team. The baddie is a very goopy body jacking space bug that lives life like a particularly reckless and sadistic Grand Theft Auto player.

That reminds me of Split Second from 92 with Rutger Hauer in the lead as a grizzled cop on the chase of a serial killer. Has Kim Catrall and even Pete Postlethwaite in it.
The funniest thing is that I discovered that there are multiple versions of the plot reveal. In the main version the monster is straight up demonic nature, while in the other it's a creation of some bio horror as I recall.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Cooked Auto posted:

That reminds me of Split Second from 92 with Rutger Hauer in the lead as a grizzled cop on the chase of a serial killer. Has Kim Catrall and even Pete Postlethwaite in it.

Literally the only thing I remember about that movie is that Hauer's cop is a chocoholic, not played for laughs. What a great character detail.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Aha, that reminded me of the Rutger Hauer movie remake of Wanted, Dead or Alive when he actually carried his ridiculous arsenal under his duster. Dude was obviously overburdened and clanked when he walked.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Split Second is real good. That movie is loving wet. I love it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If you want to watch something new with Stallone that's also actually good, you should just watch his tv show, Tulsa King.
It's pretty funny and Stallone actually does some acting in it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah so I'm spending Sunday watching Sonny Chiba in the Streetfighter series of films and it loving owns.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Hell yeah!

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

MrBling posted:

If you want to watch something new with Stallone that's also actually good, you should just watch his tv show, Tulsa King.
It's pretty funny and Stallone actually does some acting in it.

I watched the first episode and didn't think too much of it, does it improve?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Lamont posted:

I watched the first episode and didn't think too much of it, does it improve?

Its a Ok Boomer show. I watched a few episodes.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I watched Blade for the first time ever today, which was excellent but best of all, I now finally understand the thread title.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The first ten minutes of Blade is one of the greatest sequences of any film that fits into this thread.

I saw it when it first came to theaters and I was totally dumbstruck.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw blade first when my dad rented it from blockbuster and I saw it in the vhs player and played it and saw Frost bloat and pop lol. I was like dad, I need to watch this.

It ruled.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Blade still whips rear end, but it is hard to understate just how cool that movie was when it came out. I was 14 when it came out, and me and my friends all thought it was coolest thing in loving history. everything about is is so concentrated 1998 that it is just perfect. The blood rave blew my teenage mind.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
When I was a student in Nottingham from 1999-2002 we often saw a black guy who dressed like Blade around where I lived. Hope you're doing well, Black Guy Who Dresses Like Blade, even in the event that you no longer dress like Blade.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

What's the consensus on the second film? I'm about halfway through and... it's not great.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Octy posted:

What's the consensus on the second film? I'm about halfway through and... it's not great.

Some parts of it are pretty cool, I really like the creature design but then there is just random CGI fighting that looks horrible. And it completely wastes Donnie Yen which is possibly the worst crime of all

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

The first episode of the John Wick "spinoff" The Continental came out yesterday, watched it - a total dud, IMO.
It's a hour and a half long and the action-to-exposition/worldbuilding ratio is totally off. There's basically only two action sequences, bookending the episode and neither of them are anything to write home about - though I'll be honest, I was only half-paying attention by the time it got to the end.
And there's no Keanu, or Ian McShane or (for obvious reasons) Lance Reddick (:() so instead you get... Mel Gibson, ugh, and a bunch of folks I didn't recognize, but in general: no real charisma, nothing close to the levels of the stars of the movies.
Okay, Hubert Point-Du Jour was pretty great - but he was very much a side character.

"From the World of John Wick" was definitely a warning sign so shame on me for trying.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

B-Rock452 posted:

Some parts of it are pretty cool, I really like the creature design but then there is just random CGI fighting that looks horrible. And it completely wastes Donnie Yen which is possibly the worst crime of all

They didn't really waste Donnie, his job on the movie was as stunt coordinator/choreographer. He wasn't even meant to have a role in the movie but they liked his work and gave him the little cameo part.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Angryhead posted:

The first episode of the John Wick "spinoff" The Continental came out yesterday, watched it - a total dud, IMO.
It's a hour and a half long and the action-to-exposition/worldbuilding ratio is totally off. There's basically only two action sequences, bookending the episode and neither of them are anything to write home about - though I'll be honest, I was only half-paying attention by the time it got to the end.
And there's no Keanu, or Ian McShane or (for obvious reasons) Lance Reddick (:() so instead you get... Mel Gibson, ugh, and a bunch of folks I didn't recognize, but in general: no real charisma, nothing close to the levels of the stars of the movies.
Okay, Hubert Point-Du Jour was pretty great - but he was very much a side character.

"From the World of John Wick" was definitely a warning sign so shame on me for trying.

At this stage any new movie or show with Mel Gibson in it better have phenomenal reviews/word of mouth or Imma not watch it because it has Mel Gibson in it.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

MrBling posted:

They didn't really waste Donnie, his job on the movie was as stunt coordinator/choreographer. He wasn't even meant to have a role in the movie but they liked his work and gave him the little cameo part.

He dies off screen. At least Highlander Endgame had him go out like a boss

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Yeah so I'm spending Sunday watching Sonny Chiba in the Streetfighter series of films and it loving owns.

Sister Street Fighter ain't bad either, although it has nothing in common besides the name and Chiba appearing as a different character in the first film.

The Bodyguard is a good Chiba flick too, where he plays himself and declares war on drug dealers live on television, like that scene from Black Dynamite with the pimps. Also notice anything familiar about this?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Octy posted:

IMO the back half is the stronger half. I really liked it but I'm a del Toro fan. The final fight is dope.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

The creature design was pretty cool but somehow I missed that it was by del Toro until the credits so I kept thinking how remarkable the similarities were to The Strain.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Octy posted:

I watched Blade for the first time ever today, which was excellent but best of all, I now finally understand the thread title.

I hate that Stephen Norrington was on the effects crew for stuff like Aliens and Hardware, directed Death Machine and Blade, was attached to stuff like Akira and Shang-Chi in like 2002........and then directed League of Extraordinary Gentlemen which was such a clusterfuck he never directed again :/

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Octy posted:

It owns but has some pacing issues and some dodgy CG. The worst is when they're in the club investigating stuff early on. They're just strolling around guns out and no one notices or cares and it feels like it goes on forever.

The plot beats feel like an early take on what Del Toro did with Hellboy 2 which is kind of cool

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Angryhead posted:

I had no idea Mel Gibson was in this. Sounds horrible. I didn't expect Keanu to be a regular but them not being able to get him to pop up for like two minutes for their feature length premiere OR Ian McShane OR have great action scenes is pretty bad.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The best part of Blade 2 imo was Blade delivering the sickest-looking brainbuster to a dude through a glass floor

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lily Catts posted:

The best part of Blade 2 imo was Blade delivering the sickest-looking brainbuster to a dude through a glass floor

That whole action scene was loving awesome.

It made me think of those scenes in Austin Powers 1 where you'd get to see random goons as caring family fathers or looking after their sick old parents or whatever, just to switch to their horrific deaths at Austin's hand. Would have improved that already great scene.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I'm slowly showing my kids (12 and 10) classic films and they watched blade a vouple of weeks ago and thought it was great.

Then I showed them bloodsport.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Dysgenesis posted:

I'm slowly showing my kids (12 and 10) classic films and they watched blade a vouple of weeks ago and thought it was great.

Then I showed them bloodsport.

brick no hit back is an important life lesson for all children

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lamont posted:

brick no hit back is an important life lesson for all children

When life gives you lemons, slam them into your head so hard they become lemonade.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Just finished The Last Action Heroes and it was an easy, breezy listen without being particularly illuminating or having many revelations. My main take away is that Jackie Chan is the real tough guy and I wish most of the book had been dedicated to him.

The narrator particularly relished quoting Steven Seagal, who comes across as a complete rear end in a top hat, though of course that's a well known fact these days.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Blade still whips rear end, but it is hard to understate just how cool that movie was when it came out. I was 14 when it came out, and me and my friends all thought it was coolest thing in loving history. everything about is is so concentrated 1998 that it is just perfect. The blood rave blew my teenage mind.

Blade ran so that The Matrix could also run, but on the wall in slow motion

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

Just finished The Last Action Heroes and it was an easy, breezy listen without being particularly illuminating or having many revelations. My main take away is that Jackie Chan is the real tough guy and I wish most of the book had been dedicated to him.

The narrator particularly relished quoting Steven Seagal, who comes across as a complete rear end in a top hat, though of course that's a well known fact these days.

Have you read or listened to his other book about how comedians of the 80s?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Grendels Dad posted:

At this stage any new movie or show with Mel Gibson in it better have phenomenal reviews/word of mouth or Imma not watch it because it has Mel Gibson in it.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
It was nice to look at, but I don't feel like Fist Of the Condor was really worth my time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Seconding that the Continental isn't very good. It's real problem is that it leans so heavily on the lead (someone called Colin Woodell), who isn't nearly charismatic enough for the 'smooth talking badass' he's clearly supposed to be. I don't really blame the actor. A lot of his lines come across as studio mandated punch up. Like, the scene was finished but then a studio head demanded 'more quips' or whatever. I think the guy would do quite well in a quieter, misanthropic 'The Driver' era Ryan O'Neal type mold. It's nice to see Peter Greene getting work, though and not play a villain for once.

Chas McGill posted:

Everyone has a Seagal story but they're only one of two stories: "Holy poo poo lol what a dumb rear end in a top hat" and "Holy poo poo what a complete monster" and very occasionally a story that is both

I just realised that the lead in the Continental is written like he's being played by a young Mel Gibson, who would have nailed it. It's like the writer knew Gibson was in it but didn't know who he was playing, unaware that Gibson is nearly 70