Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hollismason posted:

My biggest issue is that they feature the aliens in the movie and very rarely do the aliens hang dong despite being naked

Aliens have a pussy it was in that tweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://twitter.com/theurigeller/st...00%2Fframe.html

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I have bad news: Psycho Goreman bounced off me hard. Effects were obviously great, but the humor was a big miss. I wanted something much, much less winking, more like the modern camp of a Darkplace or a Danger 5. This was too self-consciously self-aware.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I believe Strieber.

On the case of No One Will Save You. I’m finding the audio to be super low. I had to swap to headphones on the Hulu stream because I had the sound bar cranked and couldn’t hear poo poo. Even after restarts.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We have a garbo tv with no sound bar and the sound was fine. I think at this point you have to adjust the mode for individual films. There’s no standard any more I guess

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

feedmyleg posted:

I have bad news: Psycho Goreman bounced off me hard. Effects were obviously great, but the humor was a big miss. I wanted something much, much less winking, more like the modern camp of a Darkplace or a Danger 5. This was too self-consciously self-aware.

It’s not for everyone. Its very hyper specific in what it’s doing but even then I can’t like pin it down lol

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Psycho Goreman wasn't really for me, but I do think it's great a film like that with such a strong, specific voice found an audience.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It really felt like someone made it for me. It reminded me of Invader Zim so much.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Crescent Wrench posted:

Psycho Goreman wasn't really for me, but I do think it's great a film like that with such a strong, specific voice found an audience.

Yeah. Even if it had been modern version of a 90s Goodebumps episode I could get into that.

Based on what I've read of reviews, I also wonder if the new Toxie will be in the same boat; fun but just not my kinda fun.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
No One Will Save You was incredibly repetitive.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

yeah and it ruled.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

feedmyleg posted:

Based on what I've read of reviews, I also wonder if the new Toxie will be in the same boat; fun but just not my kinda fun.

So far from what I'm hearing, I'm a bit iffy about the new Toxie. We'll see how it looks with the trailer.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Disposable Scud posted:

No One Will Save You was incredibly repetitive.

Yeah after enough near misses it just got kind of tedious. The grays were a bunch of bumbling dumbshits. Lots of popping up in front of her to go raaaar and pose, then watch as she runs away or whatever.

I was more interested in seeing what the deal was with Maude, that was super sad

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

No One Will Save You owns.

I love that the movie sets up the question of "Why does this whole town hate this poor lady" and the answer while the aliens are probing her memories is "Oh she just straight up killed another kid." They promptly decide that she isn't worth the trouble and leave her in a life-size version of her diorama of the town complete with dolls that she can play with because it isn't worth antagonizing her further because shes the Cottagecore Terminator. Movie rocks lmao

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

No One Will Save You from a Flawed but Good movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dang, I wasn’t expecting the level of movie making that went into Out Of The Dark. Hard to believe that was the same guy who made Mortuary Academy.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
anything else of kiyoshi kurosawa's on the level of cure or pulse? i plan on watching sweet home at the very least.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
to add some context the director of NOWSY was at a screening

he saw the aliens as sort of religious zealots doing missionary work

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Elijah Wood in Toxie

Danny Devito penguin lookin' rear end

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Psycho Goreman was a movie I didn't love the first time I saw it. It was decently entertaining and I loved the tokusatsu elements, awesome monster designs, and Mimi herself, but so much of the humor never landed like I wanted it to. But then I watched it a second time to show a group of my friends, all of whom are big toku fans, and every joke landed a lot harder that time. The first time I think I had built it up too much in my head and I had watched a lot of great horror-comedies that day too so I was let down the first time, but the second time the social aspect and knowing what to expect pacing-wise fixed a lot of the problems I had.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It needs to hurry up and be October so I can watch No One Will Save You. Love a good alien movie.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure that you can read the ending of No One Will Save You as the aliens simply giving up on defeating her because she's so tough, they already had her captured and killing her would be trivial. Besides, they didn't throw her in a cage, they gave her a real-life interactive dollhouse with human slaves. And didn't those humans still have the parasitic aliens in their throats? That's a lot of manpower. There's got to be something more complex going on with regard to their motivations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

e: nm

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Snooze Cruise posted:

anything else of kiyoshi kurosawa's on the level of cure or pulse? i plan on watching sweet home at the very least.

The Guard from Underground is pretty drat good and so is Doppelganger. He doesn't really have any films where you are like "Oh this isn't good". He's just a really solid gooddirector.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

The Peccadillo posted:

Elijah Wood in Toxie

Danny Devito penguin lookin' rear end

Also Al Jourgensen just hanging out in the back.

vv I mean, it's not. But it totally is.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 23, 2023

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

King Vidiot posted:

I wasn't 100% on that.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

King Vidiot posted:

vv I mean, it's not. But it totally is.

Truly, is any given middle-aged man with facial piercings and a cowboy hat NOT Uncle Al, at least in spirit?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Don’t forget the face tattoos!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Between NOWSY and the WWDITS show both of the Booksmart leads are scream queens and I am here for it.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Crescent Wrench posted:

I'm not sure that you can read the ending of No One Will Save You as the aliens simply giving up on defeating her because she's so tough, they already had her captured and killing her would be trivial. Besides, they didn't throw her in a cage, they gave her a real-life interactive dollhouse with human slaves. And didn't those humans still have the parasitic aliens in their throats? That's a lot of manpower. There's got to be something more complex going on with regard to their motivations.

Well the tipping point seemed to be when they read her mind and saw the whole Maude ordeal. So maybe they decided she wasn't worth it or was undesirable. FWIW that also seems to be the point where she forgives herself, so you can take that and apply it to the other themes going on in the movie. Like she was finally able to reintegrate into society and achieve happiness, in an odd/false sort of way :shrug:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Snooze Cruise posted:

i watched retribution recently and liked it more than pulse

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Every time I'm looking for obscure movies I'm like where I can I watch this and inevitably its on Tubi. Right now I'm really into bloody kung fu movies with Sonny Chiba so been watching those.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Hollismason posted:

Every time I'm looking for obscure movies I'm like where I can I watch this and inevitably its on Tubi. Right now I'm really into bloody kung fu movies with Sonny Chiba so been watching those.

I watched The Machine Girl the other day which was a lot of fun, but Tubi only has the dub and I wanted to watch it in its original language. I might check out the sequels on Tubi at some point. Lots of goofy CGI gore but also a super gross knife kill and some fun bullet and weapon splatter.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Yeah a friend recommended Premutos: The Fallen Angel to me recently (about to watch) and where was it streaming? Tubi, of loving course.

Also No One Will Save You was great fun. I'm actually more of the "I like seeing less of aliens" camp, and I get why people found some of the action repetitive, but it's a batshit banger that doesn't really have the extended runtime to outstay its welcome. Definite recommend.
The aliens are great I appreciated their diversity of form and how clumsy and curious they are. Sure yeah, they could have killed or enslaved her at any point in the film, that's not really the point or a "plothole" imo. Also love the goofy noises they make, making Minions noises while throwing gang signs lol, the creepy alien yoga they make people do, etc.
And I loved the ending too. What a great creepy "happy" ending. "drat this lady is a stone cold killer. Let's just give her therapy and have her do her own thing while we enslave the human race."
Gotta love her killing spirit too. "Oh there's an alien in the room who hasn't found my hiding place? I'm not going to just chill here and keep pissing my pants...its time to rack up ANOTHER STEALTH KILL."

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 23, 2023

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah a friend recommended Premutos: The Fallen Angel to me recently (about to watch) and where was it streaming? Tubi, of loving course.

Also No One Will Save You was great fun. I'm actually more of the "I like seeing less of aliens" camp, and I get why people found some of the action repetitive, but it's a batshit banger that doesn't really have the extended runtime to outstay its welcome. Definite recommend.
The aliens are great I appreciated their diversity of form and how clumsy and curious they are. Sure yeah, they could have killed or enslaved her at any point in the film, that's not really the point or a "plothole" imo. Also love the goofy noises they make, making Minions noises while throwing gang signs lol, the creepy alien yoga they make people do, etc.
And I loved the ending too. What a great creepy "happy" ending. "drat this lady is a stone cold killer. Let's just give her therapy and have her do her own thing while we enslave the human race."
Gotta love her killing spirit too. "Oh there's an alien in the room who hasn't found my hiding place? I'm not going to just chill here and keep pissing my pants...its time to rack up ANOTHER STEALTH KILL."

I think that's what made (ending spoilers) them realize that killing her probably isn't an option. I have to imagine, with the way that town was taken over, that the lady that kills not only a small alien, a medium alien and a large alien, but another "taken over" alien (the mailman) the "spore" inside her that was meant to control her, but then herself (the clone they made) and then in the past, a loving kid. Not only a kid, but her best friend (if you remember the long look at the picture frame with the both of them. I'd assume an vastly more intelligent species would recall that.). This is not someone we wanna gently caress around with. Why they can't just kill her, I don't know. But she likely looks like the champion of the human race to them at this point.

In a way, them deciding not to kill her, but control her and learn from her, is probably part of their plan for the rest of the human race. No one will save you. Not even this badass girl or people like her.

Pretty good movie and unique in that kind of horror space. It wasn't amazing, but made some smart decisions.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I like how the No One turns into Home Alone halfway through for a few minutes.

Good rainy weekend movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I was trying to figure out where they could possibly go with the ending too and it just went into territory id never imagined, which I appreciated. I mean once those throat parasites get introduced (and oh man what a great nasty scene when you finally see one up close) its like ok this is not going to be an Alien Night Visit movie, this poo poo is going full invasion. What could possibly loving happen? The military rolling in and saving the day? Her just dying or getting possessed?

For being evil aliens theyre surprisingly magnanimous and not about holding a grudge "wow youre like, really good at killing us."

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I think it was pretty rude for a cool new horror movie to come out the week I can't watch it.

I'm watching stuff about Dutch transportation infrastructure and just wishing some weretulips would attack this train. The Wooden Shoe Murders. Something.

Fiending for some spoops!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think it was pretty rude for a cool new horror movie to come out the week I can't watch it.

I'm watching stuff about Dutch transportation infrastructure and just wishing some weretulips would attack this train. The Wooden Shoe Murders. Something.

Fiending for some spoops!

I have 7 more days without horror movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alien movies can be watched in September