Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

That's just short for Jennifer LopeZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

BrigadierSensible posted:

A friend of mine was one of 3 "Jennifer"s in her elementary school class. So to make it easier, the teacher called one of them Jennifer, one of them Jenny, and my friend became Jen. A name she uses to this day as a grown arse woman with grey hair.

I’ve met people who are just named Jen, so it’s not like she’s the only Jen with grey hair.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

yeah I'm confused as to why Jen is a strange name

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I guess you can’t be called Jen past a certain age. Or hair color.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

It's not a strange name, and the hair just signifies that she has kept using it since from when she was a little kid until now when she has grey hair. Which has been a significant time.

I apologize for any confusion that may have arisen in my recounting of a mundane tale of my friend's name, age and hair colour.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What the gently caress is a proud carnivore? Are there people proud of the food they eat? “I’m a proud cereal eater”????

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Boris Galerkin posted:

What the gently caress is a proud carnivore? Are there people proud of the food they eat? “I’m a proud cereal eater”????

It's secret code for escaping content filters. They meant to write "a loving loser"

ya dangus
Jul 2, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Lots. Some people make BBQ/grilling their identity and fewer take it to the reverse-annoying-vegan-extreme. Some are even named Jen.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is my cousin on the hook for life because his cat got his neighbor's cat pregnant?

quote:

My cousin's cat apparently got the neighbor's cat pregnant. She had a litter of cats and they proved his cat is the father.

My cousin offered his neighbor the following:

-He'd pay for the vet bills related to the cat's pregnancy.
-He'd pay for the vet bills related to the kittens getting shots/etc.
-He'd pay pay the costs to get the kittens housed. (The shelter costs and what not)
-He fully owns the fact this was his fault and wanted to cover the costs of the situation.

The neighbor made a really weird request and I'm convinced it has no legal standing.

The neighbor says to him: (Like verbatum. He sent me the screenshots of her message)

No. The cats will not be rehoused. I decided I am keeping all of them. What you will do is be required to pay for half the food and half the vet care for these cats since they are the result of your irresponsibility. It would be no different than if a person got a woman pregnant. You're on the hook for half the cost of these cats for life.

She's basically trying to argue that because she is deciding she wants to keep all of the cats for herself that my cousin is on the hook for the lifelong care of these animals. I have never heard of such a thing and when he originally told me what she said I thought he was making a joke.

Since she is electing to keep the cats for herself and cats are considered property, doesn't that mean she is accepting the costs and issues which arise from the fact she is taking possession of that property? They're her cats now. How is he liable?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How is a cat getting pregnant one cats fault and not the other's. Unless the cat broke into the others house. If the neighbor has a cat they let outside unsupervised and didn't get it spayed that's their own fuckin fault

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

My father-in-law was born in Sweden to Polish refugees before they came to the US, and "Andrzej" (pronounced "Ahn-zhey") became "Andy" at Catholic school because nuns gonna nun. I asked him once if he wished he'd been able to go by his birth name more instead of the English version but he said he didn't really care, but that it was kind of nice to have a sort of a "family name" that only his mom and dad called him.

How do you not care what your name is? Is it catholic depersonalization? I due to my job speak to many people internationally, Jewish people care a lot about names because they were given numbers instead, Indians say names are important

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Jen X erasure t:mad:

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

There were three people in my small rural school with my name. It worked out that the one ahead of me was about 6'5", I'm about average male height, and the one after me had dwarfism so people just called us big Kyle, middle Kyle and little Kyle if there was confusion.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Pirate Radar posted:

Is my cousin on the hook for life because his cat got his neighbor's cat pregnant?

Lmao just ignore them. Also, get your pets fixed you loving morons

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

kdrudy posted:

There were three people in my small rural school with my name. It worked out that the one ahead of me was about 6'5", I'm about average male height, and the one after me had dwarfism so people just called us big Kyle, middle Kyle and little Kyle if there was confusion.

Should have called middle Kyle regular sized Kyle

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One standard Kyle

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Pirate Radar posted:

You'll have to take my cat to court for kitten support payments. He's the one that got her pregnant after all, not me.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

kdrudy posted:

Why not Kyle, Kyyle, and Kyyyle?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cat Court will now take a 15 minute recess while Judge Whiskers lies in a sunbeam

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I was one of like. Five Matt's in my class growing up. And my training class at my current job had three.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Matt
Matthew
Mathias
Matty
Marty
Mateo

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Today, on Meowry Pawvich

Child support has been set at two dead birds and one hair tie per month

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

thepopmonster posted:

Why not Kyle, Kyyle, and Kyyyle?

Kyle, Kyme, Kyse?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
kyall, kymedium, and kylarge

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
when i worked at a korean company with a large us presence the korean employees living in the us wpuld pick an english name. favorites were doogie and romeo.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
One of my other co workers goes by Tony and has a very American accent but his name is nowhere near that. It's always amusing trying to insruct new hires on how to find him in the company directory and that, no, he does not appreciate you attempting to pronounce his legal name.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

when i worked at a korean company with a large us presence the korean employees living in the us wpuld pick an english name. favorites were doogie and romeo.

I work at a Korean company and same.

My favorite was Mr Heo (pronounced Hur) made his name Ben

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Pookah posted:

Kyle, Kyme, Kyse?

Kyle, Kylra, Kylraga

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Sekenr posted:

How do you not care what your name is? Is it catholic depersonalization? I due to my job speak to many people internationally, Jewish people care a lot about names because they were given numbers instead, Indians say names are important

See, that's what I thought and why I asked, but apparently it's just not a thing that bothers him.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

I went to high school with a Korean exchange student whose English name was 'Dolphin', and my Taiwanese friend at uni went by 'Gamma', as in the radiation.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Creature posted:

I went to high school with a Korean exchange student whose English name was 'Dolphin', and my Taiwanese friend at uni went by 'Gamma', as in the radiation.

what kind of crimes did your detective agency solve?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I had a couple Mikes in a friend group and to differentiate one said to just call him black Mike. That's how he would introduce himself.

One day someone else introduced a girl to our group and when meeting black Mike seemed a little uncomfortable calling him that and called him African-American Mike instead. He laughed and told her he grew up in the 80s, African-American wasn't a thing and he is black, not African-American.

She didn't have a problem with it after.

I also thought it was hosed up everyone called him black Mike while the white dude was just Mike. When I started calling the other one white Mike everyone thought I was being weird. Black Mike didn't give a poo poo.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Pirate Radar posted:

I'm glad I read the comments

OP posted:

Honestly, I'm on her side. Monty is a manwhore and the entire neighborhood knows it.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
“we have a black steve and a regular steve” is probably not the look you should going for yeah

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's a black Stormy?

Mushmouth
Feb 21, 2004
Urban Tumbleweed

I know a surplus of Daves (these are the Daves I know) because SE Wisconsin is lousy with reused apostle names. My best friend used Gimpy Dave for the longest time and still does periodically. My name was middling uncommon when I grew up, but it is still one syllable with a long E at sound so EVERYTHING sounds like I'm being addressed sometimes. Still get the BORT license plate effect and still side eye the keychain displays.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

“we have a black steve and a regular steve” is probably not the look you should going for yeah

[Gasps] You mean there's a BLACK Stormy?

My name I commonly go by is the long version because in grade one, the grounds keeper already went by the short version.
As I work overseas, I rarely here my rarther common and simple name pronounced right (think Jones but most commonly pronounced Jon-es with two syllables)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Where my grandma was from they had a family that was the White Smiths and a family that was the Black Smiths. The twist was that the Black Smiths had dark hair and the White Smiths had blonde hair. Her family was Slovak so their grasp of the language led to fun things like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

We have black pheobes in our neighborhood and whenever my gf mentions one I tell her its rude and she should just call them pheobes