Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Strep Vote posted:

Yes you are a bioterrorist and you will not be punished. That's what this comes down to. Yes, it is immoral and a sin to knowingly spread disease, and you are also free to kill as many people as you like in this society as long as they are peons and you have plausible deniability.

:hmmyes:

I recently joined a discord with some old friends and friends of friends. One of them flew while COVID+ and laughed that he probably infected the entire plane, and when he got home he immediately played league hockey. Today one of them posted that he and his whole family are sick, but it's been helping going to the gym and sauna every day. They call anyone wearing masks mentally ill and laugh at them.

I know people like to point towards bad messaging and misinformation, and while that's certainly a major factor with a portion of society, a lot of people have simply revealed themselves to be shitheads who would rather harm others than alter their lifestyles in the slightest, and no amount of clear information directly from the CDC or government will change their behavior. And these are people who are politically engaged on other issues and are even quick to point out consent manufacturing / that the government will lie to protect the interests of the rich, so there's really no excuse whatsoever.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Why Am I So Tired posted:

I recently joined a discord with some old friends and friends of friends. One of them flew while COVID+ and laughed that he probably infected the entire plane, and when he got home he immediately played league hockey. Today one of them posted that he and his whole family are sick, but it's been helping going to the gym and sauna every day. They call anyone wearing masks mentally ill and laugh at them.

I know people like to point towards bad messaging and misinformation, and while that's certainly a major factor with a portion of society, a lot of people have simply revealed themselves to be shitheads who would rather harm others than alter their lifestyles in the slightest, and no amount of clear information directly from the CDC or government will change their behavior. And these are people who are politically engaged on other issues and are even quick to point out consent manufacturing / that the government will lie to protect the interests of the rich, so there's really no excuse whatsoever.

what am i supposed to do? miss my daily steam?

we can't live in fear forever.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

yeah i dont think at this point the philosophy of 'boy howdy if only we had better government messaging and a few more well thought out policies we would have really beaten this one by now, huh fellas?' has a lot of support to it.

governmental policies stopped most people from licking doorknobs for about a year, year-and-a-half, optimal policies may have bought us an additional year of unlicked doorknobs, but we're on year 4 and the people yearn for the knobs, they cannot be sated with anything less.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Strep Vote posted:

Did I say criminalize? Yes you are a bioterrorist and you will not be punished. That's what this comes down to. Yes, it is immoral and a sin to knowingly spread disease, and you are also free to kill as many people as you like in this society as long as they are peons and you have plausible deniability.

Labeling someone a terrorist will be read as implying criminality in the western context. I disagree with framing a massively systemic social problem in terms of individual morality but obviously sick people shouldn't go around knowingly putting others at risk of infection. This isn't controversial and the large majority of Americans also agree when asked (from a May 2023 Ipsos poll):

Of course what the public prefers doesn't translate into govt policies supporting sick people being able to stay home and quarantine or get health care reducing the chances of infection and transmission in the first place. This gets back to the futility of discussing chains of infection in terms of moral culpability when the core problem is public health being subordinated to capitalism.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Woodsy Owl posted:

My kid had her first Moderna shot two weeks ago to start their primary series. Now that the Bivalents EUA is revoked, I wonder if it'll be possible for me to switch her to the Pfizer 2023-2024 three dose series (so instead of receiving the Moderna 2023-2024 shot for her second dose, she'd actually do the second and third dose Of updated Pfizer).

Anyone ever mix and match vax for a pediatric primary series?

Woodsy Owl posted:

The EUA on the Bivalents is pulled, so any new Pfizer or Moderna shot would be the XBB1.5 monovalent.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pre...tly-circulating
Of course, this assumes the pharmacy you're dealing with knows the EUA for bivalent has been pulled.

Woodsy Owl posted:

My kids second dose of her initial series was supposed to be Sept 26. Her doctors office doesn't have pediatric doses and doesn't know when they'll receive them. Anyone in the greater Seattle area who is aware of a clinic with pediatric doses please let me know, it could save me hours of calling around.

Woodsy Owl posted:

A nurse at my kids pediatricians office claims they aren't allowed to even order the pediatric shots "per the FDA and DoH." I'm certain this is categorically false, I imagine I'm getting this bullshit because they have no idea what the gently caress is going on because of this clusterfuck of a rollout

I'm going to lose my poo poo if I can't find my kid her second shot

Woodsy Owl posted:

I spent the afternoon calling around western Washington trying to find any pharmacy or healthcare provider that was offering the new pediatric Covid shots for under-3yo. Not a single place had it. My kid is due for shot #2 of her two-dose primary Moderna series next week. Pediatricians office said they don't have anything now, and won't be stocking Moderna anymore. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

For a laugh, navigate to vaccines.gov and type in any zip code and select the 6mo vaccine filters. Not a single hit for 100 miles in NYC, Seattle, Portland, nor San Francisco. There are 4 places that supposedly offer it outside of LA.

Woodsy Owl posted:

In the greater Seattle area, my local Walmart has Moderna in stock for adults. And plenty of appointments on their website. Hope that can help someone.

jfc I am so sorry that I have nothing useful to offer you here. This whole system is horseshit

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
We have the tools

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

it is your fault for dying.

appetizers now 2 for 1 at chilis.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
I don't feel anger towards the worker forced to come into work sick with COVID by the austerity of capitalism - that's a situation where society is at fault.

I do feel anger towards the person going to a sauna or flying to the Bahamas while sick with COVID - that's a situation where an individual is at fault.

The situation we're in is a combination of government and individual failures, and the failures of the government shouldn't excuse the failures of individuals. If anything, whether it's fair or not, it means everyone needs to be more mindful of their individual behaviors and shoulder more of the load because we've been abandoned by the government institutions that were supposed to protect us in the first place.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

I do feel anger towards the person going to a sauna or flying to the Bahamas while sick with COVID - that's a situation where an individual is at fault.

Why are they at fault when ALL OF SOCIETY and every major "official" source of info is telling them the pandemic is over, do whatever you want? The loving CDC and the president are all telling them to go have a loving blast, you're vaccinated, you're safe, it's over.

Literally the only place there is any pushback is small pockets like this thread.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

RandomBlue posted:

Why are they at fault when ALL OF SOCIETY and every major "official" source of info is telling them the pandemic is over, do whatever you want? The loving CDC and the president are all telling them to go have a loving blast, you're vaccinated, you're safe, it's over.

Literally the only place there is any pushback is small pockets like this thread.

We're 4 years into this, and despite a lot of extremely bad coverage, there's still a lot of mainstream information out there that shows or explicitly states COVID is bad. This poo poo should be common sense / basic pattern recognition, and doubly so for people who are otherwise politically aware.

Sometimes I think this thread has a tendency to infantilize people too much. It's like, "How could anyone have known Trump would be bad? His campaign signs said he'd be good!"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
if I tell someone personally and they go "holy poo poo you're right" and then proceed to ignore me... then I'm mad at them

still mad at my wife's cousin almost gettin us all got last christmas, and then hoppin on a plane to Costa Rica while actively symptomatic

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
The media - cops are good
Leftists - no, this is consent manufacturing

The media - COVID is mild (also people are still dying of COVID, and some people get Long COVID)
Leftists - I'm a helpless baby who just doesn't know any better, it's time to fly to the Bahamas while sick

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Propaganda works.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

remember when mild meant “you won’t immediately die in the hospital ” in the context of disease and they made it mean “safe to ignore”

pretty good pr on that one

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The media - cops are good
Leftists - no, this is consent manufacturing

The media - COVID is mild (also people are still dying of COVID, and some people get Long COVID)
Leftists - I'm a helpless baby who just doesn't know any better, it's time to fly to the Bahamas while sick

who are you even talking about lol

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

who are you even talking about lol

Have you been awake the past 3 years?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

maybe that’s why you are so tired ??

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

euphronius posted:

lmao

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

euphronius posted:

lol

I meant awake at all but I won't edit it and ruin your good joke

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Feels like we're starting to see more "mainstream" news stories on long covid, just caught this one on sky news

https://news.sky.com/video/long-covid-i-have-lost-my-identity-completely-12968256

But of course no mention of needing to avoid catching it *now*, and no one wearing a mask, including the doctor pointing at all the white areas in a 50 year old's brain as she talks to the reporter. Just that we need more research to figure out how we can treat it, if you're an unfortunate.

OK, that's a good start I guess, but widespread organ damage isn't exactly something I'm holding out hope for being able to reverse....

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

lol

I meant awake at all but I won't edit it and ruin your good joke

i think WAIST's point is essentially that if people arent responsible for being susceptible to propaganda regarding a directly impactful and lethal disease that harms them and their community, they're not responsible for being susceptible to any propaganda at all, and basically any sort of leftist agitation is a wild fools dream and believing in leftward movement reveals one to be essentially of a childlike mind.

like if people arent going to punch through the propaganda when they can see their friends and family toppling like dominos and their schools and workplaces collapsing under the strain of illness, exactly how do you think theyre going to punch through the propaganda regarding the exploitative nature of the united states role in the global economy, something that's about a billion times more abstracted and difficult to pinpoint.

every type of propaganda propping up the system is far more opaque and subtle than the poo poo thats going down with COVID, so if you think people are helpless babes just adrift in a sea of mixed messages with how they fail to understand the COVID threat, they're only more adrift and more helpless and less responsible when it comes to every other threat and focus of political propaganda.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
It's not a problem that can be solved at the individual level, getting mad at individuals (that aren't in positions of power) is pointless, but go ahead.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

celadon posted:

i think WAIST's point is essentially that if people arent responsible for being susceptible to propaganda regarding a directly impactful and lethal disease that harms them and their community, they're not responsible for being susceptible to any propaganda at all, and basically any sort of leftist agitation is a wild fools dream and believing in leftward movement reveals one to be essentially of a childlike mind.

like if people arent going to punch through the propaganda when they can see their friends and family toppling like dominos and their schools and workplaces collapsing under the strain of illness, exactly how do you think theyre going to punch through the propaganda regarding the exploitative nature of the united states role in the global economy, something that's about a billion times more abstracted and difficult to pinpoint.

every type of propaganda propping up the system is far more opaque and subtle than the poo poo thats going down with COVID, so if you think people are helpless babes just adrift in a sea of mixed messages with how they fail to understand the COVID threat, they're only more adrift and more helpless and less responsible when it comes to every other threat and focus of political propaganda.

Thanks, that's a really good way of explaining it. I might actually have to use your post directly the next time this all inevitably comes up with my family.

And coming at it from a slightly different angle regarding your last paragraph - if COVID minimizers who are otherwise politically aware are able to see through the much more subtle propaganda on other issues, then why aren't they able to see through the much more blatant propaganda when it comes to COVID? It suggests to me that the issue isn't that they can't see through it, but it's ultimately that they're choosing to go along with it because not doing so would mean they'd have to make actual changes in their day to day lives (i.e., mask consistently, not go to restaurants, etc.), whereas with other issues they can just point out "that's bad" without having to walk any sort of walk.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

what the actual gently caress? it is not government overreach to decide that federally funded public institutions should close for public health reasons! that's the loving reason we have a government!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

get your healthcare in, folks
Kaiser Permanente workers issue 10-day strike notice for largest walk-off in healthcare history

www.fiercehealthcare.com posted:

Updated Sept. 22
This morning member organizations of the Coalition of Kaiser Permanente Unions issued a 10-day unfair labor practice strike notice to the major nonprofit health system and insurer after the parties' final scheduled bargaining session failed to deliver an accord. 

Should no deal be struck in the interim, over 75,000 union workers across Kaiser Permanente's California, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Virginia, and Washington D.C. facilities will walk off the job for three days, starting Oct. 4. 

The dispute over new contracts' pay and staffing terms threatens to go down as the largest healthcare strike in the country's history, the unions said. Authorization votes held by the individual unions have overwhelmingly landed in favor of the demonstrations, per results released over the past week. 
“Kaiser executives refuse to acknowledge how much patient care has deteriorated or how much the frontline healthcare workforce and patients are suffering because of the Kaiser short-staffing crisis,” Dave Regan, president of SEIU-United Healthcare Workers West, part of the Coalition, said in a release. “The patient care crisis cannot be solved unless Kaiser executives follow the law by bargaining with healthcare workers in good faith, and take dramatic action now to solve the crisis by investing in its workforce.” 

The Coalition of Kaiser Permanente Unions comprises over 85,000 of the nonprofit system’s workers in total, and has led demonstrations over the course of the summer and during the run-up to the strike authorization vote that are critical of Kaiser's leadership.

The health system's management has previously said that its goal "is to reach an agreement that ensures we can continue to provide market-competitive pay and outstanding benefits." It has pushed back on the unions' claims that its pay proposals are below the market value of other traditionally low-paying industries.

"We are confident we’ll reach an agreement before the national agreement expires on September 30 that strengthens our position as a best place to work and ensures that the high-quality care our members expect from us remains affordable and easy to access," the system said in a statement given last week. 

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

Don't tell me what to do.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

RandomBlue posted:

It's not a problem that can be solved at the individual level, getting mad at individuals (that aren't in positions of power) is pointless, but go ahead.

No, the overall problem of the pandemic isn't getting solved at the individual level. But if someone knowingly goes out for treats while actively sick, they've created a problem for everyone around them that wouldn't have existed if they hadn't.

It's like, gun violence is a systemic issue too that can't be solved at the individual level, but if somebody shot me or a loved one, then you know what, I'm going to be pretty pissed at the person who pulled the trigger too.

The Fat Swordsman
Feb 13, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

this sounds like a lockdown. is this a lockdown? cause it's feeling a lot like this might be a lockdown.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

celadon posted:

yeah things are bad I agree

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

hosers gettin' hosed out there

https://twitter.com/anxiouscatmom/status/1705623369666752584

it's a xead, etc, but if you want the topline just peep this

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

quote:

Should no deal be struck in the interim, over 75,000 union workers across Kaiser Permanente's California, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Virginia, and Washington D.C. facilities will walk off the job for three days, starting Oct. 4.

lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

... a 3 day strike? what's the point

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Gunshow Poophole posted:

... a 3 day strike? what's the point
it's time to stock up

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

SixteenShells posted:

what the actual gently caress? it is not government overreach to decide that federally funded public institutions should close for public health reasons! that's the loving reason we have a government!

Yeah I've ranted about this before, but "taking actions on public health" is a government function that goes back literally thousands (potentially tens-of-thousands) of years. Claiming the government has no authority over public health is completely ahistorical. This is just like when libertarians try to claim things from "first principles" and say their is no rule that lets governments creat laws.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

No, the overall problem of the pandemic isn't getting solved at the individual level. But if someone knowingly goes out for treats while actively sick, they've created a problem for everyone around them that wouldn't have existed if they hadn't.

It's like, gun violence is a systemic issue too that can't be solved at the individual level, but if somebody shot me or a loved one, then you know what, I'm going to be pretty pissed at the person who pulled the trigger too.

I agree when it comes to intentionally exposing other people while COVID positive, but that's a small part of the problem.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

I don't feel anger towards the worker forced to come into work sick with COVID by the austerity of capitalism - that's a situation where society is at fault.

The situation we're in is a combination of government and individual failures, and the failures of the government shouldn't excuse the failures of individuals. If anything, whether it's fair or not, it means everyone needs to be more mindful of their individual behaviors and shoulder more of the load because we've been abandoned by the government institutions that were supposed to protect us in the first place.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

And the people who have captured our government are so filthy rich that paying this lady off like this for manufacturing consent for a year is like buying a cup of coffee to them.

That brings to mind, "These guys could gently caress up a cup of coffee."

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

euphronius posted:

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007