Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

fart blood posted:

Because PR agencies are mostly a grift.

While true, I think it's equally true that CEOs like Sarandos and Zaslav and Iger really are clueless enough to need to be told that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So, is no news good news at this point? Is this a case where it would not be a surprise to hear that a deal has been made at 1AM or something along those lines?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

OldSenileGuy posted:

So, is no news good news at this point? Is this a case where it would not be a surprise to hear that a deal has been made at 1AM or something along those lines?

If there's not a WGA deal tonight and they're willing to come back tomorrow, it's a good sign that the AMPTP has decided to stop loving around and finding out.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

ashpanash posted:

If there's not a WGA deal tonight and they're willing to come back tomorrow, it's a good sign that the AMPTP has decided to stop loving around and finding out.

Well, it looks like that's exactly what's happening!

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

WGA message to members tonight:

quote:

DEAR MEMBERS,

The WGA and AMPTP met for bargaining today and will meet again tomorrow.

Your Negotiating Committee appreciates all the messages of solidarity and support we have received the last few days, and ask as many of you as possible to come out to the picket lines tomorrow.

IN SOLIDARITY,
WGA NEGOTIATING COMMITTEE

The part in bold feels significant. I hope it’s for a potential celebration on the picket lines.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Argyle posted:

WGA message to members tonight:

The part in bold feels significant. I hope it’s for a potential celebration on the picket lines.

Even if they reach a deal, it still has to be reviewed and voted on by members, correct? Anyone know the potential time frame for that?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Third day in a row of meeting I’d say is a good sign considering how often the writers were blown off.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

VorpalBunny posted:

Even if they reach a deal, it still has to be reviewed and voted on by members, correct? Anyone know the potential time frame for that?

I've heard everything from 2 weeks to "immediately" but that was months ago.

Vibes are great out here at Paramount. Already hearing rumors that there's a deal but could be nervous optimism. Then again, they called us all out to the lines today and we are extending the hours, so it really feels like something is imminent

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Argyle posted:

Vibes are great out here at Paramount. Already hearing rumors that there's a deal but could be nervous optimism. Then again, they called us all out to the lines today and we are extending the hours, so it really feels like something is imminent

You'd know better than me but Paramount really can't hold out much longer. If there's no deal I imagine they'd join Sony and break for their own interim deal.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Argyle posted:

Awesome! So I guess that would mean showrunners could get back to cutting their already-filmed stuff and getting everything as close to locked as possible, and then SAG can bang out their agreement and then actors would be able to ADR once the shows are locked.

Hope springs eternal!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I sure hope the guild is getting nearly everything they want and that this is a good sign for SAG-AFTRA too.

As a mere (but voracious) consumer of media, I'm quite willing to go without new content for a very long time in order to support the guilds. I despise billionaires and I especially hate when they try to screw over the actually talented people doing all the real work just to further (and quite unjustifiably) enrich themselves while sitting back and doing absolutely nothing.

Go guilds! Put the screws to 'em! :getin:

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Well, so much for a dramatic finish on the picket lines. We packed up at 2 PM. To quote the strike captain as we were leaving, “I hope I don’t see any of you on Monday.”

Now to refresh Deadline every 5 seconds for the rest of the weekend.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Argyle posted:

Well, so much for a dramatic finish on the picket lines. We packed up at 2 PM. To quote the strike captain as we were leaving, “I hope I don’t see any of you on Monday.”

Now to refresh Deadline every 5 seconds for the rest of the weekend.

Good luck. Rooting for you.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB2yqeD0Nus

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

AMPTP:

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
No deal yet but they are meeting on Saturday.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

haven't seen any news yet but did want to share this little tidbit.
https://twitter.com/beneltham/status/1705023660619346224
Drew Carrey has been paying the tab at a restaurant down the street from the WB lot.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
IIRC he did it too in the last strike

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
From one of the more trustworthy Variety writers: https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/writers-strike-wga-amptp-contract-talks-2-1235733340/

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
If it’s the trades, take it with a grain of salt.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

fart blood posted:

Again, note that Deadline, TVLine, The Hollywood Reporter and Variety are all owned by Penske Media, and they're all in the bag for the AMPTP.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

fart blood posted:

Oh trust me i know, I’m just trusting this a little more because someone I trust linked it (and it didn’t lead in with “Oh the Strikes are Over” it just reads as more basic information.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

haven't seen any news yet but did want to share this little tidbit.
https://twitter.com/beneltham/status/1705023660619346224
Drew Carrey has been paying the tab at a restaurant down the street from the WB lot.

I've had a few free Drew lunches over the strike. Dude is a legend. And Swingers got new owners a couple years ago and the food is noticeably better. The patty melt was amazing.

I've been refreshing the trades so often that it probably looks like a DDoS attack on their end.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

Again, note that Deadline, TVLine, The Hollywood Reporter and Variety are all owned by Penske Media, and they're all in the bag for the AMPTP.

And the few stories that painted the CEOs of the studios in a bad light were basically only there because Carol Lombardini was pissed that she was getting thrown under the bus.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So I'm an idiot - what happens once we have a deal? WGA members still have to vote on it, right? And even if the WGA strike is resolved, what does that do for SAG?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah WGA would have to vote though I imagine the union leadership wouldn’t put forward an agreement they expect to be rejected.

And a WGA deal would be a useful baseline for SAG- ie “You were willing to give this to them so it shouldn’t be hard to do the same for us”- but there are probably some specific points of contention that’d still have to be hammered out so I wouldn’t imagine a second deal immediately after.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
WGA is responding tomorrow.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Variety article's headline was telling with its 'best and final offer.' Final is debatable and 'best' would be 'all of the WGA's easily met demands.'

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

The Variety article's headline was telling with its 'best and final offer.' Final is debatable and 'best' would be 'all of the WGA's easily met demands.'

Yeah it looks like sometime between the time I posted and now, it got “updated” to something much more sensational and trad-y so. Egg on my Face there

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
The trade article is just the studios trying to save face and look like they got something out of this debacle.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Apparently that's legal jargon? Like "Last Best Final Offer" means you're prepared for the other side to sign it, not that they'll blow everything up if you don't.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Looks like meetings didn’t even start until 4pm today. Could be another long night.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://www.wgacontract2023.org/announcements/negotiations-update-tentative-agreement

wga posted:

We have reached a tentative agreement on a new 2023 MBA, which is to say an agreement in principle on all deal points, subject to drafting final contract language.
Sunday, September 24, 2023
Dear Members,

We have reached a tentative agreement on a new 2023 MBA, which is to say an agreement in principle on all deal points, subject to drafting final contract language.

What we have won in this contract—most particularly, everything we have gained since May 2nd—is due to the willingness of this membership to exercise its power, to demonstrate its solidarity, to walk side-by-side, to endure the pain and uncertainty of the past 146 days. It is the leverage generated by your strike, in concert with the extraordinary support of our union siblings, that finally brought the companies back to the table to make a deal.

We can say, with great pride, that this deal is exceptional—with meaningful gains and protections for writers in every sector of the membership.

What remains now is for our staff to make sure everything we have agreed to is codified in final contract language. And though we are eager to share the details of what has been achieved with you, we cannot do that until the last “i” is dotted. To do so would complicate our ability to finish the job. So, as you have been patient with us before, we ask you to be patient again—one last time.

Once the Memorandum of Agreement with the AMPTP is complete, the Negotiating Committee will vote on whether to recommend the agreement and send it on to the WGAW Board and WGAE Council for approval. The Board and Council will then vote on whether to authorize a contract ratification vote by the membership.

If that authorization is approved, the Board and Council would also vote on whether to lift the restraining order and end the strike at a certain date and time (to be determined) pending ratification. This would allow writers to return to work during the ratification vote, but would not affect the membership’s right to make a final determination on contract approval.

Immediately after those leadership votes, which are tentatively scheduled for Tuesday if the language is settled, we will provide a comprehensive summary of the deal points and the Memorandum of Agreement. We will also convene meetings where members will have the opportunity to learn more about and assess the deal before voting on ratification.

To be clear, no one is to return to work until specifically authorized to by the Guild. We are still on strike until then. But we are, as of today, suspending WGA picketing. Instead, if you are able, we encourage you to join the SAG-AFTRA picket lines this week.

Finally, we appreciated your patience as you waited for news from us—and had to fend off rumors—during the last few days of the negotiation. Please wait for further information from the Guild. We will have more to share with you in the coming days, as we finalize the contract language and go through our unions’ processes.

As always, thank you for your support. You will hear from us again very soon.

In solidarity,

WGA Negotiating Committee

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

I can’t even begin to process the relief I’m feeling. Very eager to see the details, but it’s a very good sign that they’re willing to let us work during the ratification process.

We did it. So proud of our negotiating committee for holding the line and dealing with endless AMPTP nonsense.

Everyone I know is thrilled, except for my dog who will be quite furious that I have to leave the house regularly again.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Very good :)

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Man, here's hoping

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1706132051504648559

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If they really did concede then I guess we can expect to see a SAG deal soon.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Great news to end the weekend on.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I'll believe it when I see the actual proposed contract, not before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fingers crossed it works out, anything less than everything they asked for is less than they deserve, but if its a good deal it's a good deal!