Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Harik posted:

ahh, so the main problem here is you have no idea what the luddites were about or why they were correct and will always remain correct no matter what happens with technology.

Yep, I know that someone had a name with Ludd in it or something and popular culture makes it seem like they would have taken our iPhones away if they had the chance, which I assume is not correct but it's reasonable to me that someone might qualify it with an asterisk given that

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Harik posted:

lmao.

governments fund medical R&D, not pharmacuticals. Then the government hands off the last mile testing to them, and their marketing budget for dick pills dwarfs any other expendature.

it's just handjobs to pharmacy execs because when you give someone a bunch of money they then in turn fund your campaign.

this is flatly not true. the research that comes out of academia guides industry in terms of picking its cellular targets and making guesses as to how to affect them but is rarely enough to even begin picking a good drug candidate family to work with let alone having it be as simple as "professor jerkoff figured out this molecule is great at doing x, then the pharma company did the clinical trials for it". there is a very large expenditure of time and effort and money in between any kind of academic work and someone putting a pill in their mouth, a lot of it happening before any kind of clinical trials to figure out how to even translate the academic work into something relevant to drugs. even the "last mile testing" can be humongously expensive btw but it's not all that's being done by the companies in 99% of cases.

i think pharma as an industry is corrosive and lovely and results in a lot of needless pain and death for patients due to cost being a gate on treatment, and a lot of needlessly duplicated scientific work in the fields where there's a lot of competition because they're all gonna screen the same kinds of molecules and come to similar conclusions about them, but you are falling for a very old and shallow narrative if you honestly believe that drug discovery labs in pharma companies don't exist lol. you can read things written by scientists that work there to get an idea of the scale of operations and money involved, you don't have to just believe the pharma company press releases or w/e.

anyway governments should be the ones funding the drug discovery, yes, imo. they aren't right now tho except maybe china

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Jazerus posted:

this is flatly not true. the research that comes out of academia guides industry in terms of picking its cellular targets and making guesses as to how to affect them but is rarely enough to even begin picking a good drug candidate family to work with let alone having it be as simple as "professor jerkoff figured out this molecule is great at doing x, then the pharma company did the clinical trials for it". there is a very large expenditure of time and effort and money in between any kind of academic work and someone putting a pill in their mouth, a lot of it happening before any kind of clinical trials to figure out how to even translate the academic work into something relevant to drugs. even the "last mile testing" can be humongously expensive btw but it's not all that's being done by the companies in 99% of cases.

i think pharma as an industry is corrosive and lovely and results in a lot of needless pain and death for patients due to cost being a gate on treatment, and a lot of needlessly duplicated scientific work in the fields where there's a lot of competition because they're all gonna screen the same kinds of molecules and come to similar conclusions about them, but you are falling for a very old and shallow narrative if you honestly believe that drug discovery labs in pharma companies don't exist lol. you can read things written by scientists that work there to get an idea of the scale of operations and money involved, you don't have to just believe the pharma company press releases or w/e.

anyway governments should be the ones funding the drug discovery, yes, imo. they aren't right now tho except maybe china

and each and every one of those steps has enormous government subsidies.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Rock Puncher posted:

Yep, I know that someone had a name with Ludd in it or something and popular culture makes it seem like they would have taken our iPhones away if they had the chance, which I assume is not correct but it's reasonable to me that someone might qualify it with an asterisk given that

Yeah, it's one of those funny 'history written by the victors' situations. The Luddites were a labor movement against mill owners having all the power and forcing people into worse jobs for worse pay.
If the situation was "Hey I just bought a new piece of equipment that doubles productivity, I'm gonna run it at 75% speed to avoid unsafe conditions and pay you the same daily wage" they would not have been smashing the looms.
Instead it was "We're going to pay pennies on the dollar for your children to get mangled in this mill. If you don't like it, there's plenty of other poors who will gladly throw themselves into the maim-o-tron for my profits."

They lost, so now we use the term to refer to technophobes.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My favorite thing pharma companies don't mention when talking about how much new drugs cost is that a bunch of that cost is actually just opportunity cost, as in, "if we took the money we spent and instead just let it sit and accumulate in the stock market for the time it took to develop the drug, we would have made billions of dollars!"

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Shame Boy posted:

My favorite thing pharma companies don't mention when talking about how much new drugs cost is that a bunch of that cost is actually just opportunity cost, as in, "if we took the money we spent and instead just let it sit and accumulate in the stock market for the time it took to develop the drug, we would have made billions of dollars!"

Yeah, and their figures also generally assume optimal investment, instead of just comparing to the market itself.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Rock Puncher posted:

I think putting an * on luddites were right is fair, I don't actually know that much about the luddites other than they were definitely right then and still are now because of material conditions. But if resources and production was owned communally rather than individually I think the * starts to gain value. You could potentially argue that technology would still be mostly destructive, but again, there's a solid argument for saying technology and automation might not be that bad if the goal isn't to maximise consumption and increases in numbers.

The luddites were not anti-technology they were anti-rich. They smashed the factories not because "unga bunga technology bad" but because they were driven from their high-skilled high-paying craftsmen jobs into wage slavery. The technology allowed them to make more fabric for cheaper prices making more wealth but the wealth was transferred to the factory owner instead of them.

Please read a loving book.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
the average cspam poster is worse read every year i swear to christ

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Peanut President posted:

Never

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Peanut President posted:

the average cspam poster is worse read every year i swear to christ

The only book I'll ever need to read is the one where every page is completely random and the book itself is infinitely long.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I'm here for capitalism.png not daskapitol.epub

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Why does the blue beetle have 8 limbs

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Harik posted:

and each and every one of those steps has enormous government subsidies.

Nope the small pharma startup I worked at was 100% venture capital then IPO/shareholder $. The only subsidy would have been a small grant to the scientists at a university lab that figured out how heart muscle works before the same scientists pitched it to venture capitalists.

Those scientists are now multi millionaires, the drug was approved which is hella rare. But the workers in their labs at that uni doing the pre drug development biology work never saw a dime.

Not all the science happened at the uni though. Most of the papers were authored and published by the private pharma company scientists after venture capital got involved. They ramped up the science 100x

Bald Stalin has issued a correction as of 05:54 on Sep 24, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Jazerus posted:

Pfizer reported revenues of $100.3 billion for full year 2022 for the first time in the company’s 174-year history, reflecting 30 percent operational growth, while fourth quarter revenues were $24.3 billion, reflecting 13 percent operational growth. Fourth-quarter operational growth was primarily driven by key primary care and specialty care brands, partially offset primarily by lower revenues for certain other products. Quarterly reported diluted earnings per share (EPS) was $0.87, up 48 percent year-over-year. Quarterly adjusted diluted EPS[1] was $1.14, up 45 percent year-over year.

Full-year revenues increased 23 percent year-over-year and Pfizer reported full-year diluted EPS of $5.47, up 42 percent year-over-year, and adjusted diluted EPS1 of $6.58, up 62 percent year over year. Both EPS figures represent all-time highs for the company.

Pfizer’s 2022 performance is a testament to the company’s commitment to fulfilling its purpose of delivering breakthroughs that change patients’ lives and creating value for Pfizer shareholders.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

this thread is the best thread in cspam.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why does the blue beetle have 8 limbs
Six legs. Or six arms.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

mawarannahr posted:

Pfizer’s 2022 performance is a testament to the company’s commitment to fulfilling its purpose of delivering breakthroughs that change patients’ lives and creating value for Pfizer shareholders.

Humans don't speak like this, try again

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Peanut President posted:

I have read all seven books, and the script for The Cursed Child

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

jeebus bob posted:

Humans don't speak like this, try again

Yes that was partially the point of that post

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
welp gently caress my mission is now to read exactly 1 book and never not know something ever again lest someone makes me read another one

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Having memorized all letters and punctuation I have learned every book to ever exist by memory, it's just a matter of selecting from the set of words from books that actually exist and are useful

Owned libs

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Rock Puncher posted:

welp gently caress my mission is now to read exactly 1 book and never not know something ever again lest someone makes me read another one
Sad to say you need to read two books:

What They Teach You at Harvard Business School and What They Don't Teach You at Harvard Business School

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bald Stalin posted:

Nope the small pharma startup I worked at was 100% venture capital then IPO/shareholder $. The only subsidy would have been a small grant to the scientists at a university lab that figured out how heart muscle works before the same scientists pitched it to venture capitalists.

Those scientists are now multi millionaires, the drug was approved which is hella rare. But the workers in their labs at that uni doing the pre drug development biology work never saw a dime.

Not all the science happened at the uni though. Most of the papers were authored and published by the private pharma company scientists after venture capital got involved. They ramped up the science 100x

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8426978/

Governments regularly subsidize pharma companies to pursue things with lower RoI instead of making, oh for example, proprietary blends of insulin analogues.

All large and critical industries are neck deep in government subsidy.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

Having memorized all letters and punctuation I have learned every book to ever exist by memory, it's just a matter of selecting from the set of words from books that actually exist and are useful

Owned libs

One weird trick BIG BOOK doesn't want you to know about!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Governments regularly subsidize pharma companies to pursue things with lower RoI instead of making, oh for example, proprietary blends of insulin analogues.

All large and critical industries are neck deep in government subsidy.

Yes? Not always was the point. Not all pharma is big and government subsidized. There was no drug to help people with the disease so probably some return on investment, it was open heart surgery, heart transplant, and death. Now there's a drug for it, at least.

Bald Stalin has issued a correction as of 11:19 on Sep 24, 2023

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Rock Puncher posted:

you should probably just eat a shotgun instead

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Peanut President posted:

The luddites were not anti-technology they were anti-rich. They smashed the factories not because "unga bunga technology bad" but because they were driven from their high-skilled high-paying craftsmen jobs into wage slavery. The technology allowed them to make more fabric for cheaper prices making more wealth but the wealth was transferred to the factory owner instead of them.

This is a seriously good post.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Jimmy's 6 months in hospice is really getting to him

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Peanut President posted:

never opposed to technology. only opposed to the unequal distribution of its benefits. capitalists were in fact forced to hire back hand weavers when their power looms were destroyed, saving thousands of people from starvation.

even people who know this will forget because the lie is told relentlessly in all media, in every context imaginable.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 13:39 on Sep 24, 2023

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Words change meaning.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

never opposed to technology. only opposed to the unequal distribution of its benefits. capitalists were in fact forced to hire back hand weavers when their power looms were destroyed, saving thousands of people from starvation.

even people who know this will forget because the lie is told relentlessly in all media, in every context imaginable.

Whoosh.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
im agreeing with the op, op

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Paladinus posted:

Words change meaning.

By whom and for what purpose, is the point.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

im agreeing with the op, op

Sorry, I'm a big idiot.

e: I genuinely am sorry, and I am genuinely a big idiot.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Paladinus posted:

Words change meaning.

Just all on their own huh?

That's odd.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Orange Devil posted:

Just all on their own huh?

That's odd.

No, but I don't think you can reclaim 'Luddite' at this point. Nor is there a need to reclaim it, really.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Paladinus posted:

No, but I don't think you can reclaim 'Luddite' at this point. Nor is there a need to reclaim it, really.

:gb2gbs:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Paladinus posted:

luddite spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

there was never a need for the goalposts to be in their original position