Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Why do all the right's attempts to make fun of something actually make it look cooler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

i say swears online posted:

what's your theory as to why food in airports is more expensive than elsewhere
- (mostly) Rent is higher because it's high value space. There's a big audience of bored people on foot with time to kill.

- (lesserly) Labor cost is higher because inside security workers need to pass a background check, which takes time, costs money, and is eliminating lots of people with drug arrests. You are harder to replace working at an airport restaurant than outside. If you aren't getting paid better, go get a job at a normal restaurant and not have to deal with TSA crap every day

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

zoux posted:

It's just that good.

https://twitter.com/jeffcharlesjr/status/1704949330933621066

They're trying to own him with this AI image but honestly this goes

drat that's cool

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Xand_Man posted:

Why do all the right's attempts to make fun of something actually make it look cooler

The things they hate are actually great

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Foxfire_ posted:

- (mostly) Rent is higher because it's high value space. There's a big audience of bored people on foot with time to kill.

- (lesserly) Labor cost is higher because inside security workers need to pass a background check, which takes time, costs money, and is eliminating lots of people with drug arrests. You are harder to replace working at an airport restaurant than outside. If you aren't getting paid better, go get a job at a normal restaurant and not have to deal with TSA crap every day

So in theory, are airport food employees getting paid more? Because I highly doubt it for some odd reason!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

zoux posted:

It's just that good.

https://twitter.com/jeffcharlesjr/status/1704949330933621066

They're trying to own him with this AI image but honestly this goes

Andrew Tate goes woke

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol it was not a joke

https://twitter.com/NewsHour/status/1705368846683554063

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Also, even though it's a bit lesser now days, there's a lot of people at airports that have money/are on expense accounts, who wouldn't really think twice about paying more. Even just people when they're going on holiday, will spend a bit more as their on holiday so you know, why not treat yourself to an overly expensive drink before the flight or what ever.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1705021504398794771?t=ZFKcS45CIEeB5L8G6WVu1g&s=19

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
That's one hell of a hashtag

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Foxfire_ posted:

Those perfidious natural non-grifting market forces :argh:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Foxfire_ posted:

Fun fact: airport employees don’t get paid while going through security. Also, flight attendants and pilots don’t even get paid until the cabin door closes.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

cat botherer posted:

Fun fact: airport employees don’t get paid while going through security. Also, flight attendants and pilots don’t even get paid until the cabin door closes.

Pilots and FA have unions, I really don’t know why they put up with that lovely rule. Could be sitting in the airport for hours waiting for a plane to get fixed and no pay. Ridiculous.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

That's personal time you could spend learning a new skill on the LinkedIn Learning platform!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

This wasn't directed at me but the answer is very obvious: they have a captive audience with no other options. It's similar to concerts, sporting events and amusement parks or anywhere else where you can't bring your own food/booze so they just totally soak you. What's someone going to do if they have a 5 hour layover in Philadelphia and get hungry or want a drink?

cat botherer posted:

They also don't get paid for time spent taxiing on the runway or waiting for a delayed takeoff.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

This wasn't directed at me but the answer is very obvious: they have a captive audience with no other options. It's similar to concerts, sporting events and amusement parks or anywhere else where you can't bring your own food/booze so they just totally soak you. What's someone going to do if they have a 5 hour layover in Philadelphia and get hungry or want a drink?

They also don't get paid for time spent taxiing on the runway or waiting for a delayed takeoff.

Are airports a cartel or something because that seems wild

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KORNOLOGY posted:

Are airports a cartel or something because that seems wild
Kind of, because there's usually one big airport in an area (maybe two if it's a big city) so they don't compete against each other. And then each gets to choose who's allowed to set up shop inside.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Kind of, because there's usually one big airport in an area (maybe two if it's a big city) so they don't compete against each other. And then each gets to choose who's allowed to set up shop inside.

That sounds like local shops kicking up (squeezing their customers) to pay up to an executive board (squeezing the shops and pilots) that allows them to operate. I'm guessing franchise owners only get a fraction of the upsell.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Gee, I wonder why Putin wouldn't fight Musk over the fate of Ukraine. Surely Ukraine would immediately surrender if Elon, their self-appointed champion, was defeated in single combat.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
I challenge putiN, TO A JELLO FIGHT

Tbf, I'm covered in cat hair.

KORNOLOGY fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 23, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

KORNOLOGY posted:

That sounds like local shops kicking up (squeezing their customers) to pay up to an executive board (squeezing the shops and pilots) that allows them to operate. I'm guessing franchise owners only get a fraction of the upsell.

Yeah, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume that the leases and entry expenses for an airport business are fairly exorbitant and insane. I suspect their overhead is crazy high. Again, though, the $20 hamburgers are 100% because there's literally no where else to go to eat or drink and it's basically a loving shakedown that essentially amounts to extortion. Most people are completely stuck there once they go through security and/or have a layover or some poo poo. It's a captive audience. See also: $13 beers at football games and poo poo.

Notice how the airport bookstores don't really have crazy prices for reading material because, unlike food and drink, people can bring their own reading materials or otherwise browse their tablets or phones. They even offer something resembling a library where you more or less get a refund on any book you return on your trip back. It's to get you in the store to buy other (overpriced) poo poo.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i did pay like $9 for an economist at the airport like twenty years ago. i did not appreciate the irony

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just refuse to buy any food or drink at the airport for this reason. If everyone did it, they'd have to lower the prices.

i did pay like $9 for an economist at the airport like twenty years ago. i did not appreciate the irony
Seems like you got a pretty good lesson on supply and demand :smug:

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
It's some dumb poo poo, just steal everything not nailed down.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
The workers obviously shouldn't care.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

candy at those kiosks is basically free

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
YOU ARE MEAT WAD, WHAT DO YOU DO. SLUT.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/irhottakes/status/1705598166525993304?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Rebel Blob posted:

Gee, I wonder why Putin wouldn't fight Musk over the fate of Ukraine. Surely Ukraine would immediately surrender if Elon, their self-appointed champion, was defeated in single combat.

Putin is like a no-poo poo judo master

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Xand_Man posted:

He took pictures in costume, at least.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So who put the idea that he could actually fight into Elon's head? Has he been getting scammed by one of those magic chi masters and is now convinced that he can execute the dim mak from 10 feet away from his opponent now?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gyges posted:

So who put the idea that he could actually fight into Elon's head? Has he been getting scammed by one of those magic chi masters and is now convinced that he can execute the dim mak from 10 feet away from his opponent now?

I'm assuming either Rogan, or he just taking some steroids or whatever and assumes he's an ubermensch now or whatnot. Being surrounded by yes men all day probably doesn't help.

Piety that fight with zuckerberg didn't go a head as it would of been hilarious.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Xand_Man posted:

There's footage of him judo-ing people but I think they were there to get their asses kicked. Like when he scored all those goals in hockey that time. I suppose he knows what he's doing but he's old as gently caress now and not looking great. I think Elon has a chance.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Gyges posted:

I'm pretty sure he knows he can't fight. As soon as Zuck came back with "okay let's fight, set a date" Elon started backpedalling and coming up with excuses

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

EoinCannon posted:

There's footage of him judo-ing people but I think they were there to get their asses kicked. Like when he scored all those goals in hockey that time. I suppose he knows what he's doing but he's old as gently caress now and not looking great. I think Elon has a chance.

Regardless of age, Putin is someone who grew up with and has real life experience with violence, whereas Elon is a pampered rich softboy with messianic delusions. He'd get murdered in less time it takes RT to put out copy on it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Elon got pushed down the stairs once so I think you'll find that he has plenty experience with violence.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah, I wouldn't trust anything said about putin around that sort of stuff. putins been carefully controling his image for decades now.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't trust anything said about putin around that sort of stuff. putins been carefully controling his image for decades now.

It's not really up for debate that he was dedicated to martial arts in his childhood. It's not a big deal or something you have to deny just because you hate him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's weird that instead of building eternal emnity, Japan and Germany are two of the US closest foreign partners and now we have normalized relations with communist Vietnam. I mean, it's better than a 500 year blood feud but it's certainly a change from the previous 8000 years of recorded human history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It makes Putin enjoyers mad if you deny his ability to Judo.