Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is the preview channel the one called “beta” or “release candidate”, or is it somewhere other than the usual OS channel selector in Settings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The last time I looked it literally had stable/beta/preview as the options I think

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Does Moonlight/Sunshine stuff do HDR? I know the Deck’s display doesn’t, but if I hook it to an HDR TV and stream from a PC with an HDR display, do I get goodness?

It is definitely sending HDR to the Deck as the laptop the game is ruining on has a native HDR display. Had to disable HDR on the laptop.

But I don't know
- If the Deck will pass that through to the external monitor. Don't see why not, especially as ^^^ says 3.5 are a "Use HDR" option to the Deck for external displays.
- How Sunshine presents itself to the OS. Does it just grab the rendered frames? I.e., can you get HDR if your native display at the source doesn't have it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

History Comes Inside! posted:

The last time I looked it literally had stable/beta/preview as the options I think

hmm

TwoStoryHouseCat
Aug 30, 2023

It's in order from most stable being Stable, to least stable being Main, yeah it's terrible naming

So you're looking for either Beta Candidate or Main depending how cutting edge you're looking for

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Wait what the hell, I also only have Stable/Beta/Preview

TwoStoryHouseCat
Aug 30, 2023

Me too tbh since I'm back on Stable for a long time. That menu showing up either means their deck is really out of date, or they're already on Preview and the menu only shows if you're on Preview

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Squiggle posted:

Wait what the hell, I also only have Stable/Beta/Preview

you have to enable dev mode then more update channels in the dev menu

then it adds a second dropdown for the OS update channel alongside the client update channel

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

“Enable dev mode” is a trap option for nerds on every single device because they just can’t stop themselves from turning it on

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is anyone else having trouble installing the new update for Baldurs Gate 3? Especially on a 256gb model. I tried to play tonight on my desktop and downloaded a small 5mb update file. when I tried to install it, it just got stuck on 0%. I tried to troubleshoot it for a bit with no luck, and figured I'd just play on Deck for tonight and...same exact problem. I dunno how common this issue is, just wondering if anyone else has dealt with it.

It seems unlikely, but is it possible a 256gb SSD doesn't have enough extra space to update the game or something. I dunno maybe steam is just hosed up tonight.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

veni veni veni posted:

Is anyone else having trouble installing the new update for Baldurs Gate 3? Especially on a 256gb model. I tried to play tonight on my desktop and downloaded a small 5mb update file. when I tried to install it, it just got stuck on 0%. I tried to troubleshoot it for a bit with no luck, and figured I'd just play on Deck for tonight and...same exact problem. I dunno how common this issue is, just wondering if anyone else has dealt with it.

It seems unlikely, but is it possible a 256gb SSD doesn't have enough extra space to update the game or something. I dunno maybe steam is just hosed up tonight.

Sounds like some localized server issue, I had no problem with the update on PC or Deck.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

“Enable dev mode” is a trap option for nerds on every single device because they just can’t stop themselves from turning it on

make me check a box that says "I know what I'm doing" to turn dev mode on

it wouldn't change my actions but it would provide some dramatic irony

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Vic posted:

Sounds like some localized server issue, I had no problem with the update on PC or Deck.

Same, installed fine.

I had to clear a bit of space - I think it needs extra room to unpack - but after that it was smooth sailing.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cross posting this as-is from the CP 2077 thread. Pleased as punch to have Path Tracing enabled.

I'm here to talk about the wonders of streaming this game to the Steam Deck if you have one. Given its display is just 800p - I use it at 720p for games like this to get the much wider horizontal FOV - you can crank up all your settings and get a really good picture that you won't be able to on your larger screens, to say nothing of it being just such a comfy and powerful controller too.

I'm preferring the game on my Deck being rendered on a laptop 3070 Ti over the laptop rendering to a 65" 4K OLED TV with all the bells and whistles or a 3080 rendering to a 3440x1440 ultrawide. The laptop 3070 Ti is less powerful than the Desktop 3070 Ti, though still a very well implemented laptop that lets it use 150W of power.

Check it out if it's an option. Here's a good blog post on setting up Moonlight/Sunshine/MoonDeckBuddy: https://obsidian.evanmingliu.com/Projects/Gaming/Steamdeck/Sunshine-moonlight-and-MoondeckBuddy/Sunshine-Moonlight-and-Moondeck-Buddy

A lot simpler than the lengthy page may make you think, a lot of it is detailed click by click images, not complexity.

Grand Fromage posted:

Path tracing is perfectly fine on a 3060 ti, don't believe what the menu says. GPU isn't even struggling, game's running fine and the card's humming along at 42 C.

Thanks for posting about this a few times!

Game runs great with Path Tracing, DLSS Quality (thought I'd need to at least be at Balanced, so this was nice), all options at High except for Volumetric clouds and SSR at Medium. SS Reflections should be a no-op with Path Tracing enabled.

All that runs at 62 fps average in the game's benchmark, 720p. It's a smooth 62 fps, no jitter. loving awesome!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
For all you new deck havers, one fun thing to do to personalize your deck is changing the boot video.

https://www.laptopmag.com/how-to/how-to-add-a-custom-boot-animation-to-your-steam-deck

I clipped out a bit of a VT startup sequence from Steel Battalion: Line of Contact for mine:

https://streamable.com/iel2b5

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you don’t wanna make your own just decky and use the animation plugin and its built in little storefront browsing thing to install one of billions that other people already made

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Or you could just put videos in the boot animation folder and use the customisation settings menu.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That menu sucks and doesn’t just have a nice little browser to view and smash videos into like the decky plugin

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Putting return of the king extended edition as my boot video

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Photex posted:

Putting return of the king extended edition as my boot video

I think I remember hearing about someone who made their boot video Shrek before they realized that they couldn't skip it during boot. I remember seeing a tweet from the Steam devs laughing about it and updating it so you could skip boot videos.

That must have been a fun few days for that guy though lol.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

If you don’t wanna make your own just decky and use the animation plugin and its built in little storefront browsing thing to install one of billions that other people already made

Then be sad and annoyed in 3 days when the OS updates and decky breaks yet again for 12+ hours before they fix it.

The fun of Decky is constantly reinstalling and updating it twice a week.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Fuzz posted:

Then be sad and annoyed in 3 days when the OS updates and decky breaks yet again for 12+ hours before they fix it.

Never happens to me on stable.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shart Carbuncle posted:

For all you new deck havers, one fun thing to do to personalize your deck is changing the boot video.

https://www.laptopmag.com/how-to/how-to-add-a-custom-boot-animation-to-your-steam-deck

I clipped out a bit of a VT startup sequence from Steel Battalion: Line of Contact for mine:

https://streamable.com/iel2b5

I remember someone accidentally made their boot up movie like a full Christopher Nolan movie and had to watch the whole thing to get to the settings to change it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Soysaucebeast posted:

I think I remember hearing about someone who made their boot video Shrek before they realized that they couldn't skip it during boot. I remember seeing a tweet from the Steam devs laughing about it and updating it so you could skip boot videos.

That must have been a fun few days for that guy though lol.

Holy christ I laughed at this, thank you.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I remember someone accidentally made their boot up movie like a full Christopher Nolan movie and had to watch the whole thing to get to the settings to change it

It was Shrek

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

What are the recommended decky plugins. About to start installing that. Any must haves?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ProtonDB Badges (adds the game's protonDB status to its game page), SteamGridDB (adds a UI for changing a game's artwork) and How Long To Beat (adds the How Long To Beat info to a game page) are the 3 big ones to me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SteamGridDB is great for any non-steam game installs like Diablo or Minecraft. I also use the Tailscale plugin to turn on/off the VPN as needed.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Is Tailscale the preferred VPN for game streaming? Any reasons why?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

What are the recommended decky plugins. About to start installing that. Any must haves?

SteamGridDB will let you easily set artwork for games you add to Steam, or change existing ones.

Animation Changer will let you set custom boot animations from a free repository. There is a way to do this using your Steam Coins, but it won't have options like a PS2 Boot up animation.

If you want to do emulation, it's generally suggested to setup Emudeck. This will install EmuDeck Hotkeys.

PowerTools is good if you want more power options. Useful if you're playing Tears of the Kingdom or trying to get recent AAA games to hit a consistent frame rate target.

vibrantDeck has some advanced color settings, but has mostly been made obsolete by a built-in saturation option.

ProtonDB Badges gives you better info than Steam's verified/playable statuses.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

njsykora posted:

ProtonDB Badges (adds the game's protonDB status to its game page), SteamGridDB (adds a UI for changing a game's artwork) and How Long To Beat (adds the How Long To Beat info to a game page) are the 3 big ones to me.

Probably steamgriddb and vibrantdeck are the most recommended

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cyrano4747 posted:

Quick Bluetooth thing if you use it. SteamGridDB for art. ProtonDB overlay thing. MoonDeckBuddy if you use Moonlight.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

v1ld posted:

It’s trivial to set up and has great performance.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

v1ld posted:

It’s less of a VPN (for me) and more of a no fuss minimal tweaking way to remote stream games when I’m not home.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah you can think of it more like Hamachi of olde if you don’t care about connecting other stuff.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Chin Strap posted:

Never happens to me on stable.

Yeah I’ve never had to reinstall it except for when I replaced my SSD and had to reinstall everything. Staying on stable instead of being on the beta/preview channels for no real reason ftw.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

that plug-in that lets you change artwork isn't necessary by any means, but once you start making your library prettier, it's easy to get addicted

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Same, installed fine.

I had to clear a bit of space - I think it needs extra room to unpack - but after that it was smooth sailing.

Can you remove/uninstall some of these older proton profiles? Is it a pain to get them back?

I'm having the same issue as Veni. 256 internal, at the moment all I have installed on it is BG3.

Edit: moved some smaller games to external and it worked after a reboot.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 24, 2023

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

How long to beat has helped me beat a bunch more smaller games this year. It’s the only must have for me I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Guild wars 2 is really good on the deck.

Does it require a ton of control customization or is there a good template out there? This was over of my favorite"just walk around and explore for hours games back when it came out."