Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PageMaster posted:

Does it require a ton of control customization or is there a good template out there? This was over of my favorite"just walk around and explore for hours games back when it came out."

There are two community control setups that are rated really highly. I like the second one more than the first but both work really well. It takes advantage of the trackpads for skills.

Honestly took me just a few min to wrap my head around it and it’s been off to the races.

Small complaint is the UI is pretty small and the game definitely wasn’t built around a 7 inch screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I reinstalled EmuDeck and I'm in a weird hell where I can't get Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 to run through DuckStation. Confirmed via Redump checksum that the bin file is fine, and I can run other games like hit classic Tomba just fine, but THPS2 brings up the BIOS boot and then just shows a black screen.

I was having some issues last night where I forgot the BIOS and had to redo some DuckStation stuff, so maybe this is a weird caching issue? But I can't figure out anything left to clear - tried deleting the memory card it generated for THPS2, tried resetting the settings in DuckStation, tried resetting the settings via EmuDeck, tried fully reinstalling DuckStation via EmuDeck, nothing worked.

The same bin/cue works fine via DuckStation on PC as well.

Maybe this is just the world trying to save me from playing this game on this D-pad, I don't know. Curious if anyone else has gotten this to work. Might get really desperate and try Beetle via RetroArch or something?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Why play THPS2 when you could play THPS3 in PCSX2

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Because you can play THUG Pro.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Wish there was a faster way to get ahold of screenshots and descriptions of the thirty thousand or so roms I have in emulation station using the scraper.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Coffee Jones posted:

Wish there was a faster way to get ahold of screenshots and descriptions of the thirty thousand or so roms I have in emulation station using the scraper.

You can donate to the patreon for screenscraper.fr and get credentials for extra threads to scrape with, still takes a long rear end time but cuts it down significantly when you can pull more than one at a time.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I glued my deck* to my deck** and I play tony hawk exclusively with gyro controls

*steam
**skate

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Chin Strap posted:

Never happens to me on stable.

Well yeah, and that's why I also am back on Stable.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I glued my deck* to my deck** and I play tony hawk exclusively with gyro controls

*steam
**skate

finally a way to emulate Tony Hawk Ride

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Why play THPS2 when you could play THPS3 in PCSX2

THPS2+ on Xbox runs very nicely, just saying.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

MarcusSA posted:

There are two community control setups that are rated really highly. I like the second one more than the first but both work really well. It takes advantage of the trackpads for skills.

Honestly took me just a few min to wrap my head around it and it’s been off to the races.

Small complaint is the UI is pretty small and the game definitely wasn’t built around a 7 inch screen.

I will second all of this, the game handles fine using the community layouts, but it does look decently tiny. It's kind of similar to FFXIV controller controls, in a way.

That said, not the best way to play it, it is unoptimized as a game and I found that it really shows on the Deck.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

I reinstalled EmuDeck and I'm in a weird hell where I can't get Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 to run through DuckStation. Confirmed via Redump checksum that the bin file is fine, and I can run other games like hit classic Tomba just fine, but THPS2 brings up the BIOS boot and then just shows a black screen.

I was having some issues last night where I forgot the BIOS and had to redo some DuckStation stuff, so maybe this is a weird caching issue? But I can't figure out anything left to clear - tried deleting the memory card it generated for THPS2, tried resetting the settings in DuckStation, tried resetting the settings via EmuDeck, tried fully reinstalling DuckStation via EmuDeck, nothing worked.

The same bin/cue works fine via DuckStation on PC as well.

Maybe this is just the world trying to save me from playing this game on this D-pad, I don't know. Curious if anyone else has gotten this to work. Might get really desperate and try Beetle via RetroArch or something?

Try using each different renderer option in the emulator. Open GL, Vulcan, etc

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey what the gently caress... I'm trying to move stuff from my SD card to the SSD and steam is saying that it can't, the folder already exists. What?

One of the games (Sega Classics Collection) said that it can't move it because something like "content locked" or some poo poo. What?

With GTA Online, Baldur's Gate 3, and Halo MCC installed (well, Halo is partially installed), I really need to upgrade my SD card to 1TB. Is that the highest the cards go now?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

With GTA Online, Baldur's Gate 3, and Halo MCC installed (well, Halo is partially installed), I really need to upgrade my SD card to 1TB. Is that the highest the cards go now?

For practical purposes, yes, 1TB is it. There are no 2TB MicroSD cards, though there is a 1.5TB version from one manufacturer:
Exclusive: Micron’s 1.5TB MicroSD card costs more than diamond

TwoStoryHouseCat
Aug 30, 2023

One irony of deck gaming is I'm gradually finding myself reaching for my non-Steam games more. It's because I play without Internet pretty often, and so many games fail to do Steam achievement unlocking offline.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The only explicit anecdote I have is "I got one of these and it works fine"

https://frame.work/products/western-digital-sn740-nvme-m-2-2230

Specific hardline details are a bit tricky to dig up because a lot of people have done "weird things" with the deck for the sake of content/experimentation that are technically viable but not "recommended"

I couldn't find this for sale in my country but when I went to the WD site they had this on their front page and it seems to be even cheaper. It even mentions working with the Steam Deck.

https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-black-sn770m-nvme-ssd

I will try to squeeze it in when it all gets here.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

How often are proton updates released?

TwoStoryHouseCat
Aug 30, 2023

Once every two months for the last few, 8.0-2, 8.0-3, and 8.0-4 the last of which is a release candidate since last week

Not sure about Experimental as I was getting too many updates and it was annoying so I uninstalled it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I got Chiaki and Greenlight set up this weekend , it’s so cool. The image quality from PS5 looks substantially better imho

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TwoStoryHouseCat posted:

Once every two months for the last few, 8.0-2, 8.0-3, and 8.0-4 the last of which is a release candidate since last week

Not sure about Experimental as I was getting too many updates and it was annoying so I uninstalled it

Ok, cool.

I just want Halo MCC's anti-cheat to work again :negative:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I can't get Titanfall 2 to launch on Deck. Tried both desktop and gaming mode. The drat EA Launcher either fails to load or hangs then crashes.

I've tried experimental and 6.3.8. Same issue. Any ideas?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Party Boat posted:

Has anyone tried using an external bluetooth receiver with the dock? I posted a while back about bluetooth controllers dropping out when trying to play multiplayer and I think the underlying issue is that the deck has a relatively weak receiver and when docked it's sitting among a bunch of other devices with their own 2.4Ghz noise and it just struggles to maintain solid connections with controllers that are 8 feet away.

I found this reddit post where a guy with similar issues to me opened his deck up and found that there was a loose connection between the BT antenna and the wifi card but I really hope it's not down to that https://reddit.com/r/WindowsOnDeck/s/hSYZCiOrmb

Update on this: I moved some potentially conflicting devices away from the dock under my TV and changed everything that supported it to 5Ghz which seems to have helped. I haven't tried more than two players yet but for 1-2 bluetooth connections it's been solid.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Are there any pros/cons to using a 1TB microSD versus a 512GB with the Deck?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It costs a bit more for more bigger. Speed wise if they're rated the same I can see any downsides.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I got a 256gb a while ago and my god, I wish I'd gotten a 1tb instead. I'd love to have GTA V, Doom Eternal, Sea of Thieves, and all of the Halo MCC on there at the same time, which is currently not at all possible.

Edit: oh, don't forget Baldur's Gate 3.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 27, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GE-Proton is updated fairly frequently if you want to stray off the default proton(s) Steam sets for the games.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I have a 1TB in my Deck and it's great, the vast majority of my games are on there without noticeable (at least to me) performance degradation. Games these days are so chunky I'd feel cramped with a 512 gig card since I like having several installed at a time to swap between.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Ok, cool.

I just want Halo MCC's anti-cheat to work again :negative:

Wait, what's up with MCC? I thought everything was fine with that thing on Deck now?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I have a 512GB SD card, and a 2TB SSD, and that's honestly plenty.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

all I ask for in life is a mere two and a half thousand gigabytes of storage space

some people need more but that's quite enough for me, please and thank you

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Annath posted:

I have a 512GB SD card, and a 2TB SSD, and that's honestly plenty.

512gb ssd and I think 400gb SD and that's way overkill for me. I stole the SD card from my switch because it also wasn't being used there, lol. I play one main game at a time and have a couple other smaller side replayable games like VS and halls of torment. And a few emulator games that I hope to one day get around to...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

poo poo, I've got the 256gb deck and no card and I'm fine for now. Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% going to be buying a card sometime in the next whenever before I have to travel or otherwise leave home for a while, but right now 256 is plenty for doing what I want to do locally, and for the rest I'm streaming the gently caress out of poo poo on my PC and PS5.

Streaming is really good, for the most part, with some oddball hitches. BG3 is one, annoyingly. For some reason (and yes I do have steam set to detect the resolution of the thing I'm streaming to) it wants to think my deck is a 4:3 resolution display, so I either end up with a stretched image or one that's letterboxed on the left and right. Playing it on the deck itself it correctly picks it up as 16:10 no problem. And over-all performance on the deck is fine - no great, but fine - especially after patch 3, but holy poo poo that fucker drains battery. So I'd really prefer to stream that game in particular just so I can plop on the couch without having to be plugged in.

edit: it loving kills me how good the deck is for local streaming. The last time I hosed around with this would have been like five or maybe even ten years ago, whenever Steam Link first came out, sending a feed from my PC to my laptop for gaming in bed. And that sucked enough that I just didn't bother. They really unfucked something with lag and stutter in that time, goddamn.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I never got streaming to the Deck working, although I didn't actually spend much time trying.

I mainly wanted to use it for non-steam games, and I just kept having issues with the controls not transmitting properly.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

the only "con" is more of a technical one with some games update systems beeing complete rear end, having to un- and repack 60+ GB plus download time is a complete pain already but tripple so on the deck. Havin 1TB led me to have several games Installed with such behavior so sometimes they need to update for an hour or more.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: it loving kills me how good the deck is for local streaming. The last time I hosed around with this would have been like five or maybe even ten years ago, whenever Steam Link first came out, sending a feed from my PC to my laptop for gaming in bed. And that sucked enough that I just didn't bother. They really unfucked something with lag and stutter in that time, goddamn.

Same, it's been a total loving eye opener how good the Deck is for streaming. I find myself preferring to sit in my living room couch with the Deck streaming from the laptop to plugging the laptop into the large 4K OLED in the same room. The controller on the Deck is one reason, as is the configurability of it.

Helps I can run CP 2077 with all RT on and RT Lighting on Psycho and almost every other setting maxed - I have fog at medium I think, ao doesn't matter with RT but that's at medium too, but that's it. All because of streaming to a 720p res on the Deck (it's wider than 800p, better for this gorgeous city).

I went with Moonlight/Sunshine/MoonDeckBuddy and it's been great. Can even turn off the laptop remotely from the Deck if I'm playing right before going to sleep. May even look into some wake on LAN stuff, but don't need to be quite that lazy yet and don't want to compromise laptop security with auto-login or the like either.

I'm just gonna stream most things I think. Working from home for 3.5 years has burned me out on sitting even longer in front of the ultrawide pc monitor.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

v1ld posted:

I'm just gonna stream most things I think. Working from home for 3.5 years has burned me out on sitting even longer in front of the ultrawide pc monitor.

Yeah, I didn't realize just how much my eyes were bugging out from working on a monitor all day and then playing games that way at night. I sat down a few days ago for some BG3 on the desktop and my eyes just said gently caress you.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'm real happy that the in-house streaming works so well for me too.

We just moved into a house with some... thermal issues, so the room I'm using as an office gets uncomfortably hot by late afternoon, and unbearable if I start running my PC full blast. For a few weeks I would just wait until night so I could open the windows, but being able to take the Deck downstairs and still play Cyberpunk and Train Simulator and Armored Core 6 at full settings while getting 5-7 hours of battery life is really fantastic. I had some occasional hiccups in our last place, but I genuinely have not seen a hitch or stream quality drop in months. It's wild.

Hell, I've got a 10 gig line at work and 1gig at home, and even that works shockingly well.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 27, 2023

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Annath posted:

I never got streaming to the Deck working, although I didn't actually spend much time trying.

I mainly wanted to use it for non-steam games, and I just kept having issues with the controls not transmitting properly.

If your PC has got an Nvidia GPU, try out Moonlight. It’s not hard to set up. It works really well. I’ve been using it at home to stream games that are a bit too beefy for the Steam Deck. Baldur’s Gate 3 looks alright and plays at about 30 locally on Deck but with Moonlight I can play it on Ultra settings at a locked 60. I figured that it wouldn’t be good for twitchy games but I ended up having a good time with Armored Core VI.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Does Local Game Installing not work if the game is from someone else's library? My son bought Cyberpunk on his account, shared it with mine, I can play it on my laptop fine, but when I go to install it on my deck, it won't do a local install, just the network one, and I'm already at my bandwidth cap for the month, gently caress Xfinity, etc. Is there a way to force the local install? I can't imagine the performance on the Deck is much worse than my 1070'ed laptop. (it "works")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think it might be account specific, but also local transfer can be a bit finicky at the best of times. It's basically a coinflip whether it works in my experience. Cyberpunk works fine on Deck too, it has a dedicated Steam Deck graphics preset.