Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Eeyo posted:

It always bothers me how the replicators/borg type enemies get humanized after a while. Like the borg queen or whatever, I didn’t enjoy that arc in voyager.

Another good example is the white walkers in game of thrones. Cool mindless enemy, but then they had to ruin it with the king guy.

That’s why I like the tyranids in 40k. They’re just mindless husks, they don’t need an agenda or motivations. They just destroy and replicate, and are inevitable.

i agree with you about the borg. idk how you humanize lego spiders but i think another good example is the reavers in firefly. they just come in and gently caress poo poo up and make more reavers by infecting their victims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Don't worry about thinking about things you haven't seen yet, a key theme is discovery and part of that is not having all of the information at certain points

I'm not necessarily saying everything was thought out super far ahead, just enjoy the ride

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Stargate is definitely not one of those shows where eveything was thought out ahead of time and someone with a massive show bible in a wheelbarrow follows everyone on set with it. And yet the replicators still make more sense than the borg.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

snergle posted:

idk how you humanize lego spiders

They found a way. Several, actually

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

Speaking of Teal'c, he must get paid, right? He has regular clothes, obtains donuts and pizza, has many candles.

:regd08:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LOL. So many candles!

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

redshirt posted:

Rank your top 3 Goa'uld:

1 Ba'al
2 Zipcana
3 Tanith

1. Original Ba'al
2. Ba'al #2
3. Ba'al #8

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

itry posted:

Stargate is definitely not one of those shows where eveything was thought out ahead of time and someone with a massive show bible in a wheelbarrow follows everyone on set with it. And yet the replicators still make more sense than the borg.

the only show bible that ever worked was b5. sg1 obviously doesnt know what their doing from season to season and its better for it. i thought hathor would have more then 2 episodes her first episode very clearly set her up to be a later threat then she got iced in her second episode. seth was killed in his first one. the only 4 people who plot armor are the main cast. if hammond died in the next episode ide be shocked but not super shocked.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Hammond better not die, he's getting my write in vote for president!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The Hammond? Of Texas?

snergle posted:

the only show bible that ever worked was b5. sg1 obviously doesnt know what their doing from season to season and its better for it. i thought hathor would have more then 2 episodes her first episode very clearly set her up to be a later threat then she got iced in her second episode. seth was killed in his first one. the only 4 people who plot armor are the main cast. if hammond died in the next episode ide be shocked but not super shocked.

Yeah, it turned out alright in the end, so them seemingly never having/using one isn't really a complaint.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sentient Data posted:

Hammond better not die, he's getting my write in vote for president!

I have bad news about Don S Davis from 2008

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Delicious JAFFA KREE! cakes

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

pixaal posted:

I have bad news about Don S Davis from 2008

Has Hammond of Texas fallen in battle?

I know :smith:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Has Hammond of Texas fallen in battle?

I know :smith:

He was such a great character.

*Does hand over head "bald" motion

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
tealcs blonde goatee is starting to bother me is it gone soon? he had it for like half of s3 and 4 -5 episodes of s4

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah he gets rid of it at some point.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Teal'c's journey of self discovery

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

He gets that stylish stipe in his hair eventually.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

He gets that stylish stipe in his hair eventually.

I'm not just Teal'c's candle dealer, I'm also his stylist.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

snergle posted:

tealcs blonde goatee is starting to bother me is it gone soon? he had it for like half of s3 and 4 -5 episodes of s4

I'm pretty sure it was only s4, Chris Judge wanted hair and the producers messed with him by telling him he could only have that. Kind of a dick move in retrospect.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

He does look great fully bald, but yeah that sucks if he requested hair and they said no

We need a :bald: hand motion emote

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

He does look great fully bald, but yeah that sucks if he requested hair and they said no

We need a :bald: hand motion emote

Hammond of Texas!

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Leandros posted:

I'm pretty sure it was only s4, Chris Judge wanted hair and the producers messed with him by telling him he could only have that. Kind of a dick move in retrospect.

thats kinda hosed up. atleast let it not be blonde. also he looked amazing with that pony tail in the first mirror universe episode he also looked good with i assume his natural hair in the episode where the vr ai makes jack / daniel relieve trauma a bunch of times in a row.

the 2nd mirror episode where he just randomly has a the goatee as they bring the evil tealc into the closet to be replaces is so unintentionally hilarious

snergle fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 25, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I love that RDA's love of The Simpsons is reflected in the show. There's plenty of small references, but it culminates in "Citizen Joe", where the actor who plays Homer stars.

And then RDA goes on The Simpsons in a pretty funny episode.

redshirt fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 25, 2023

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

snergle posted:

the 2nd mirror episode where he just randomly has a the goatee as they bring the evil tealc into the closet to be replaces is so unintentionally hilarious

It wasn't unintentional, that Teal'c and Apophis have goatees as a reference to the Star Trek mirror universe.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

redshirt posted:

I love that RDA's love of The Simpsons is reflected in the show. There's plenty of small references, but it culminates in "Citizen Joe", where the actor who plays Homer stars.

IIRC, part of the joke is that the Simpsons aired in the same timeslot as MacGuyver, which is why he makes the reference about always having to record it. There's also the long-running joke in the Simpsons about Patty and Selma being obsessed with MacGuyver too (which is the premise of the Simpsons episode you referenced.)

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

redshirt posted:

Pretty impressive that they managed to sneak a good episode into season 17 of the Simpsons.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Armacham posted:

Pretty impressive that they managed to sneak a good episode into season 17 of the Simpsons.

old shows are allowed to have a good episode every few years. It's what pays the bills.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Get lost Pete!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Armacham posted:

I loved it. The Stargate stuff in it is fun, but RDA getting hooked on escaping from Patty and Selma MacGyver style was fantastic.

Also, some B plot with a Heart of Darkness riff.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

There's a man, he's bald and wears a short-sleeved shirt, and somehow he's very important to me. I think his name is... Homer.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

McSpanky posted:

There's a man, he's bald and wears a short-sleeved shirt, and somehow he's very important to me. I think his name is... Homer.

lol. They go full meta in "Citizen Joe" when O'Neill and Joe wonder whether Burns is a Goa'uld.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

McSpanky posted:

It wasn't unintentional, that Teal'c and Apophis have goatees as a reference to the Star Trek mirror universe.

i dont think the ment for the reveal of good tealc already having a goatee on to be intentionally lol funny to me. its intentional that the bad universe evil people do thats a big evil twin stereo type. but go rewatch the episode. tealc goes into the mirror universe with jack and daniel he is normal tealc and has no goatee. they trick evil tealc into going into the closet with the mirror and then tealc kills him. but good tealc already has the goatee on. despite not knowing that evil tealc has a goatee.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
General Hammond vs Major Briggs?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

I'll always take Hammond of Texas.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Scratch Monkey posted:

They're the same character op :iit:

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

snergle posted:

i dont think the ment for the reveal of good tealc already having a goatee on to be intentionally lol funny to me. its intentional that the bad universe evil people do thats a big evil twin stereo type. but go rewatch the episode. tealc goes into the mirror universe with jack and daniel he is normal tealc and has no goatee. they trick evil tealc into going into the closet with the mirror and then tealc kills him. but good tealc already has the goatee on. despite not knowing that evil tealc has a goatee.

He's wearing it before entering the other universe, though the lighting makes it hard to see. Presumably other Sam and Kowalski briefed them on it and the SGC disguise team sprang into action.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Alternate reality Jack gives no fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Corporate Ba'al