Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

mdemone posted:

anybody else got tips for how to help Paxlovid finish the job?

like should I bother trying to wash out my sinuses or is it not going to matter until I go off the Pax?

I haven't really caught up here, and the last time it was mentioned I remember it being somewhat controversial so forgive me, but when I had covid I used a nasal spray. By the third day I felt mostly normal and I tested negative in less than a week. That could have been a false negative, but I felt fine. I hope you feel better soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

StratGoatCom posted:

Counterpoint: anyone without the willingness to buck trends like that is much more liable to not be able to buck trends later when it comes to it. Lack of resistance to peer pressure and self-discipline.

Shiroc posted:

Comrades, I absolutely refuse to wear a mask to protect myself and you in this prong of the class war. However, I assure you that you can count on my discipline and commitment when the chips are really down.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

(..)
we departed from the realm of science‐based guidance long ago.
(..)

Science versus ~*The Science*~ always reminds me of the Tim Kreider Jesus vs. Jeezus cartoon.

This one:

Pingui has issued a correction as of 23:06 on Sep 24, 2023

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Lol at the idea that someone who ideologically refuses to mask would do the slightest thing to help people targeted by death squads when the physical and personal risks are real instead of worrying about looking cringe.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I enjoyed this (very short) read, which is about the uncertainty and information concerning what to do when you get COVID (when you haven't been hanging out here for years):

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/article/covid-paxlovid-cdc-guidelines-18380413.php posted:

I finally got COVID. Figuring out how to care for myself gave me ‘cyberchondria’
There’s so much information out there, that it can be impossible to find out what the current best practices are for care and recovery

Archived link: https://archive.li/bvbDS

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pingui posted:

I enjoyed this (very short) read, which is about the uncertainty and information concerning what to do when you get COVID (when you haven't been hanging out here for years):

Archived link: https://archive.li/bvbDS

quote:

We’ve come a long way from the days of bleaching our groceries, standing 6 feet apart or making our own cloth masks. Yet the articles encouraging people to do all of those things are still online, indexed by search engine optimization instead of utility.

lmao lol

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

My wife had to travel for a business meeting, and despite being the only one at the meeting or on tje flights who wore a mask, ended up positive the day after returning. Probably it was the flight, if anyone from her meeting had it, they haven't admitted it.

We got her pax right away, and the symptoms have been really minimal but she's still testing positive 10 days later.

We feel lucky that my daughter and I didn't catch it before she realized and went into isolation, but we're both starting to go crazy. She's been locked up in the bedroom 10 days. Since this was after a week long trip, she basically hasn't seen our daughter in over 2 weeks, which is wearing on her too, she's only 6. Meanwhile Im running out of gas doing everything that needs to be done around here solo.

Everyone keeps telling us that the CDC says its cool if she comes out now. When I ask how would she not be contagious if the swab from her nose continues to come up positive I get blank stares. I have no idea when this will be done.

Covid loving sucks, our society loving sucks.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

Jesus on the cross, getting speared in his side: " It's mild."

Sheesh, you people get on people's cases whether they get the jab or not. :v:

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

getting the flu shot and new covid vax Tuesday, wish me luck goons

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
There has been a lot of talk and questions about apparent inaccuracy of rapid tests and this article demonstrates a (modest) reduction in accuracy relative to Delta. There are a bunch of different variables that might have an effect: prior infection, vaccination, being teens and early twenties, having no symptoms, having the symptom "diarrhoea, vomiting" and most importantly timing. I should note that Omicron in this context means BA.1 (52.9%) and BA.1.1 (35.6%).
"Can variants, reinfection, symptoms and test types affect COVID-19 diagnostic performance? A large-scale retrospective study of AG-RDTs during circulation of Delta and Omicron variants, Czechia, December 2021 to February 2022"

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2023.28.38.2200938 posted:

Key public health message

What did you want to address in this study?
The performance of SARS-CoV-2 antigen tests can be influenced by the circulating virus variant but also by changes in the characteristics of the population which is building immunity through vaccination and reinfection. We wanted to compare the performance of antigen tests for the Delta versus the Omicron variant.

What have we learnt from this study?
For the Omicron virus variant, there is a small decrease in the ability of rapid tests to identify individuals who were both infected and vaccinated. There are indications of a possibly larger decrease when the rapid tests are conducted outside the period of the highest viral load, i.e. shortly after infection. Rapid antigen tests continue to be the most reliable when the tested person is symptomatic.

What are the implications of your findings for public health?
PCR tests should be preferred for SARS-CoV-2 testing, especially in asymptomatic individuals. Antigen tests for Omicron may be more likely to give false negative results in the first few days after infection than for Delta. On the other hand, antigen tests are useful for the diagnosis of symptomatic disease. It is advisable to choose antigen tests that are on the European Union Category A list.
(..)

[ed. High sensitivity = few false negatives, high specificity = few false positive]
(..)
Conclusion
Our results indicate that when SARS-CoV-2 AG-RDTs are used in the early stage of infection, their sensitivity for infection with the Omicron variant is lower than with a Delta infection. Past SARS-CoV-2 infection was negatively associated with the sensitivity of AG-RDTs, it was the strongest predictor of a false negative AG-RDT result for both Delta and Omicron. For Omicron, we also observed a pattern of lower sensitivity in vaccinated individuals. The sensitivity in children was not lower compared with Delta, which suggests that in this age group, AG-RDTs are equally effective for Omicron. Our data support the choice of the EU Category A list over the B list. Further, our results suggest that AG-RDTs may not be suitable for the initial diagnosis as AG-RDTs may have low sensitivity in early asymptomatic phases of infection. AG-RDTs could, however, be a useful tool for checking the course of the infection and ending the isolation period as previously suggested. Large retrospective analyses of logs of paired AG-RDTs and RT-PCR results can lead to additional insights on the performance of AG-RDTs for specific subgroups, which can potentially lead to better diagnostic outcomes, improved availability of tests and reduced costs of public testing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Animal-Mother posted:

Jesus on the cross, getting speared in his side: " It's mild."

Longinus COVID

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

(..)
Everyone keeps telling us that the CDC says its cool if she comes out now. When I ask how would she not be contagious if the swab from her nose continues to come up positive I get blank stares. I have no idea when this will be done.

Sorry, that sounds rough for you all :(

It might be worth considering the "Fauci Special" of a second course of Paxlovid, if she haven't already had one and her doctor concurs.

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

mdemone posted:

Paxlovid is legitimately a miracle drug.

3-4 hours after my first dose, my symptoms were essentially gone. I'm about to take my third dose and I feel fine, just the tiniest bit of mucus in the upper throat but no congestion, no cough, no fever.

many such cases, we love to hear it!!!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

My wife had to travel for a business meeting, and despite being the only one at the meeting or on tje flights who wore a mask, ended up positive the day after returning. Probably it was the flight, if anyone from her meeting had it, they haven't admitted it.

We got her pax right away, and the symptoms have been really minimal but she's still testing positive 10 days later.

We feel lucky that my daughter and I didn't catch it before she realized and went into isolation, but we're both starting to go crazy. She's been locked up in the bedroom 10 days. Since this was after a week long trip, she basically hasn't seen our daughter in over 2 weeks, which is wearing on her too, she's only 6. Meanwhile Im running out of gas doing everything that needs to be done around here solo.

It was 21 days for my wife and it loving sucked rear end, just awful. And we got the exact same "it's fine she's not contagious!" bullshit from everyone when her RATs were still instantly blood red positive.

e: the latter is what ultimately crack-pinged her, actually. She was rationalizing taking more risk up to that point, but she got really, really sick and having her friends and family not support her at all and minimize both the severity and chances of giving it to me at the same time made her realize how full of poo poo they were.

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 00:25 on Sep 25, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

puncturewound78 posted:

many such cases, we love to hear it!!!

as a follow-up, as I take my fourth dose on the second evening, I have zero symptoms aside from the smallest ear pressure. but it's also 96% humidity outside so that could be it.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
How can the largest medical system in the state not have the new vaccine yet, really?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
so my step dad is getting ivig treatment for his CIPD that his physicians think are caused by the vaccines however I’d argue that there has at least been one infection that may have contributed . any literature on CIPD and vaccines? he could have been unlucky like people who get gullian barre from a vaccine.

however, when searching online looks like an infection is more likely than a vaccine.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Covid is bad

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
eyyyy

https://twitter.com/lauramiers/status/1705982075151475078?s=46

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
japan has had the weirdest covid waves, unlike anywhere else.

just increasingly bad, since the start. this last one looks like it's finally broken the trend though.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

sonatinas posted:

so my step dad is getting ivig treatment for his CIPD that his physicians think are caused by the vaccines however I’d argue that there has at least been one infection that may have contributed . any literature on CIPD and vaccines? he could have been unlucky like people who get gullian barre from a vaccine.

however, when searching online looks like an infection is more likely than a vaccine.

Do you mean CIDP because it's almost certainly any of a host of other things.

Just like gbs it theoretically could be causal but the documented number of cases that can be adequately differentiated is in like the single digits.

Ianad but my best friend is a neurologist. Actually now I think about it he's been doing a lot of cidp work I can ask

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Mola Yam posted:

(..)

Looks like a perfectly fine off-ramp to me :shrug:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

She can leave her room if she’s wearing a well-fitted N95 headstrap and you all are wearing a mask as well. Run a corsi cube in shared areas. We’ve done this every time someone has been sick and gone through their quarantine period but are still showing positive, noones gotten got. She’ll still need to eat and sleep or do anything else requiring unmasking isolated but if you have headstrap N95s she can come out and play with your kid, watch tv etc unless said kid is so young she might rip it off or something (I think six should be ok).

I would question the fit of said mask if she caught it on a plane, though. Was it a headstrap or earloops? Did she take it off at any point, even to take a sip of water or what have you? Or eat indoors at all? People will often try to bargain with themselves like ‘well it’s indoors but all the doors and windows are open so technically it’s the same as outdoors’ or ‘we were outside (on the incredibly crowded walled patio with awning that left about two inches of space between the awning and walls for circulation).’

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Do you mean CIDP because it's almost certainly any of a host of other things.

Just like gbs it theoretically could be causal but the documented number of cases that can be adequately differentiated is in like the single digits.

Ianad but my best friend is a neurologist. Actually now I think about it he's been doing a lot of cidp work I can ask

yeah that’s what I mean. if he wasn’t able to get the ivig treatment I don’t know what he would have done. I still think it’s from at least one infection but could be bad luck…

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

sonatinas posted:

yeah that’s what I mean. if he wasn’t able to get the ivig treatment I don’t know what he would have done. I still think it’s from at least one infection but could be bad luck…

Sorry what I shoulda said is it's almost certainly anything other than the vaccine! I dunno I would hope his doctors know his case well enough to be making these calls but yeesh

It also could be an infection and I dunno the way covid fucks with your immune system is seems way more likely.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

StratGoatCom posted:

Counterpoint: anyone without the willingness to buck trends like that is much more liable to not be able to buck trends later when it comes to it. Lack of resistance to peer pressure and self-discipline.

read Ordinary Men if you wanna have a bad time! peer pressure, particularly "not wanting your friends to call you a pussy", was literally the engine that drove the boots-on-the-ground killers of the holocaust

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mola Yam posted:

just increasingly bad, since the start. this last one looks like it's finally broken the trend though.

The trend was people bothering to test or the tests being reported probably.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Longinus COVID

lol

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I found a questionable paper in a dodgy open access journal that claimed a small excess risk of getting Guillain-Barre after covid vector vaccines only but it didn't seem trustworthy enough to post, and also even if true all you need to do is not jab yourself with any expired AstraZeneca/J&J doses you might happen across.

Everything else said actual viral,/bacterial infections are a much higher risk than any vaccine.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/theliverdr/status/1705867819391594721?t=OOO5jFvNalH0LeJE0uFgwg&s=19

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

now, I wonder if it's lifestyle causing a skipping of breakfast that brings other stressors or this straight?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

I can't eat breakfast in the morning - or couldn't because my GERD made me super nauseated every morning so I just never developed the habit. GERD itself, if left unchecked, can lead to changes in the esophageal wall that cause cancer.

It makes sense that there's a correlation to people with pre-existing gut problems not eating breakfast and those kinds of gut problems themselves cause cancer.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I've helped 3 people get paxlovid and had...not sure how many others go "no thanks, don't need it" but definitely more than 3.

It's a fascinating little thing since the stereotype of Americans is that all they want for any medical problem is just a pill, with the joke being that lots of medical issues can't be dealt with with a straightforward medication regime, and this is probably the single best example I can think of where a very straightforward, easily acquired medication makes a huge difference in your life, and people are still going 'ehhhh no thanks I'll just suffer.'

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

silicone thrills posted:

I can't eat breakfast in the morning - or couldn't because my GERD made me super nauseated every morning so I just never developed the habit. GERD itself, if left unchecked, can lead to changes in the esophageal wall that cause cancer.

It makes sense that there's a correlation to people with pre-existing gut problems not eating breakfast and those kinds of gut problems themselves cause cancer.

that would be my guess, yes.

eXXon posted:

I found a questionable paper in a dodgy open access journal that claimed a small excess risk of getting Guillain-Barre after covid vector vaccines only but it didn't seem trustworthy enough to post, and also even if true all you need to do is not jab yourself with any expired AstraZeneca/J&J doses you might happen across.

Everything else said actual viral,/bacterial infections are a much higher risk than any vaccine.

we were honestly lucky to get a covid vaccine as functional as we did, considering how some of the candidates for SARS-NCOVID-2003 went wrong, and on a first gen RNA platform to boot.

edit: how did that come out like that, my brains are really scrambled today.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 02:48 on Sep 25, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tulip posted:

I've helped 3 people get paxlovid and had...not sure how many others go "no thanks, don't need it" but definitely more than 3.

It's a fascinating little thing since the stereotype of Americans is that all they want for any medical problem is just a pill, with the joke being that lots of medical issues can't be dealt with with a straightforward medication regime, and this is probably the single best example I can think of where a very straightforward, easily acquired medication makes a huge difference in your life, and people are still going 'ehhhh no thanks I'll just suffer.'

the triage nurses on the phone were trying to talk my out if it !! I have no idea what is happening

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Tulip posted:

A good friend of mine with POTS just tested positive for covid and I sent her a little "hey have you asked your doctor for pax yet?" and she said no, she wont be getting it, all her friends had rebounds. Then when I sent her the study about how rebounds are just apart of covid and not pax she picked apart the study in a bunch of dumb ways despite it being JAMA and thanked me for caring enough to suggest it but said she wasn't going to.

This is her 2nd infection.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Glumwheels posted:

How can the largest medical system in the state not have the new vaccine yet, really?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

If people admitted they needed an anti-viral for covid, that'd be admitting covid is 1) not mild, 2) not over, 3) something they personally are at risk from.

And none of those are admissable so

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I want to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
got my booster today, arm’s a bit sore, looking forward to being completely out of it tomorrow