Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I’ve done at least 500 tera raids and only encountered what you’re describing with the action queuing very infrequently. The HP bug has been fixed since 2/27. I guarantee you did not encounter that last month and if you do again I’d love to see a video of it.

Tera raids are much better than Dynamax, it’s not even a contest. I love Dynamax Adventures and have spent hundreds of hours shiny hunting legendaries in it. The catch up mechanic for Tera raids where it feels like you aren’t getting your turn can feel bad but it’s light years better than Dynamax. I’d be careful to also not confuse when 7 star raids get scripted extra turns for it working incorrectly, there’s definitely ones where they get to use 2-3 moves in a row at certain points by design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I’ve done at least 500 tera raids and only encountered what you’re describing with the action queuing very infrequently. The HP bug has been fixed since 2/27. I guarantee you did not encounter that last month and if you do again I’d love to see a video of it.

Tera raids are much better than Dynamax, it’s not even a contest. I love Dynamax Adventures and have spent hundreds of hours shiny hunting legendaries in it. The catch up mechanic for Tera raids where it feels like you aren’t getting your turn can feel bad but it’s light years better than Dynamax. I’d be careful to also not confuse when 7 star raids get scripted extra turns for it working incorrectly, there’s definitely ones where they get to use 2-3 moves in a row at certain points by design.

Good for you I guess. I do them pretty consistently and see these issues very frequently.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's exactly the same mess except now randomly you don't get to input a turn sometimes because the enemy has queued up too many actions, the net code doesn't work so hp totals randomly rise and fall. It's an entirely worse system. It is faster but you have a significantly less Input and control in a fight because it turns out the company that can barely make a turn based rpg function can't convert it to real time well.

It's exactly the same (lists a bunch of grievances that are consequences of it not, in fact, being the same)

Yeah they can't code good but I guess all I'm saying is that I'll take it being chaotic and fun and badly coded over being slow and ponderous and not fun and badly coded.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hammerite posted:

It's exactly the same (lists a bunch of grievances that are consequences of it not, in fact, being the same)

The word except has meaning that modifies the first part. "They share many issues but the latter has more".

Please read before responding to posts tia.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Tera raids have their issues and annoyances but imo the competition for biggest improvement over Dynamax raids is a tie between no longer being penalized for AI helpers fainting and being able to bypass the barrier entirely if you hit hard enough instead of being stopped at fixed HP thresholds.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
well, I guess I glossed over the wording because the suggestion that they are the same just seems so silly when the experience of playing them is drastically different in my perception.

I have to ask - and I might get told off by the mods for Posting About Posters, but so be it - my main recollection of your posting itt since forever is you complaining bitterly about how much you dislike all the decisions that Game Freak have made for years. I'm pretty sure you didn't have anything good to say about Sword/Shield the entirety of their lifespans as "the current main pokemon release". But SV is still worse, and yet according to your reply to the other poster you play it "pretty consistently"? Why? It sounds like you hate these games, so I don't know why you play them!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The word except has meaning that modifies the first part. "They share many issues but the latter has more".

Please read before responding to posts tia.

All right settle down.

I haven't noticed big problems with raids lately either, not like it was a few months ago where you never knew what the gently caress was happening. Biggest lags now seem to be just getting people into the raids in the first place.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
For me the worst behavior in random online tera raids is when someone (they are always a child, mind you) brings a guy with a glaring type disadvantage and then once they realize their charizard is 4x weak to the raidmon's Rock moves or whatever they try to stall out for the rest of their turns, in the vain hope that they can eke out a win if they just take less combat rounds getting dunked on compared to the other 3 players. Stalling to avoid a loss while playing with others online - you hate to see it! Sometimes they will never use a Cheer, and sometimes they will Cheer but only the +Attack option three times in a row, since that's obviously what's gonna help the team the most...

At that point better to just use Flare Blitz and speed this L up because I know that charizard of yours is still running it :supaburn:

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
In short, nobody wants to read any more just to play w/ pokeymans :eng99:

(e: just click the big number attack! we got this :buddy:)

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I don’t mind so much because I know it’s kids & also MOST raids can be soloed much more easily because npc deaths don’t count. I can’t really think of much I can’t solo now

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Let them play Pokémon.

And take an Iron Head to the neck.

Or maybe a Thunder.

drat Zapdos is cool.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Treecko posted:

drat Zapdos is cool.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Zapdos is REALLY good

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Is this the thread to talk about pokemon romhacks too or is there a separate thread for that?

The last actual pokemon game I played was base Moon but I've been watching a bunch of vanilla hardcore nuzlocke monotype challenge runs on youtube and that got me started on a regular monotype (I'm not crazy enough to do hardcore or nuzlocke rulesets) run in Radical Red. Started off with poison because it's my favourite type and just beat the first gym, along with catching every poison type I could get my hands on. Annoyingly I also found a 1% encounter rate Axew once but couldn't catch it because, well, not poison.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think romhacks should be talked about here because romhacks are sick.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
pokemon sage

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i need to play more emerald rogue, it was really fun, but it kinda had what id consider a pretty big problem, that if you lucked into strong mons early your party never really changes. ive had runs where i only end up losing maybe 2-3 mons past badge 4 and never make any manual substitutions, and those feel really boring since a run still takes a long time to play out if you're trying to play optimally. i dont really know how to solve this problem, i guess i'd like more mandatory event-type spaces that could foil that, but i think people might not like that in general.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Is that still being developed?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
What up Poison Pal. If this were a better world I'd be able to buy the poison-type tracksuit from SwSh and wear it around and everyone would know I had the best taste in Pokemon.

e: My SA username has absolutely no connection to Poison being my favorite type, and I only just noticed this connection like right now lol.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
sage? almost definitely not. but its funny to remember.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I remember the rabbit.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Is this the thread to talk about pokemon romhacks too or is there a separate thread for that?

The last actual pokemon game I played was base Moon but I've been watching a bunch of vanilla hardcore nuzlocke monotype challenge runs on youtube and that got me started on a regular monotype (I'm not crazy enough to do hardcore or nuzlocke rulesets) run in Radical Red. Started off with poison because it's my favourite type and just beat the first gym, along with catching every poison type I could get my hands on. Annoyingly I also found a 1% encounter rate Axew once but couldn't catch it because, well, not poison.

Which vanilla hardcore nuzlocke monotype challenge runs would you recommend?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

Which vanilla hardcore nuzlocke monotype challenge runs would you recommend?

I mostly just watch FlygonHG's vids on youtube, he's pretty knowledgable (or at least he is to my layman eyes) and I think he's decently entertaining without being obnoxious.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
People think too much about Pokémon.

Karen said it best, use the ones you like. gently caress the haters.

If you can find one you really enjoy, you can carve out a little niche on almost any team.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Diet Poison posted:

What up Poison Pal. If this were a better world I'd be able to buy the poison-type tracksuit from SwSh and wear it around and everyone would know I had the best taste in Pokemon.

e: My SA username has absolutely no connection to Poison being my favorite type, and I only just noticed this connection like right now lol.

Hell yeah, even Poison type Hatsune Miku rules.

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1704797678658347510?t=mqu6wrHgLU6xd9tCR4MJ7w&s=19

I'd say Bug and Steel are my second and third favourite types overall.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
For Emerald Rouge specifically, you might have to focus on the stats and IVs. Might need to catch a few of the same species before one is viable.

There's plenty of balls and wings laying around.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Treecko posted:

People think too much about Pokémon.

If you can find one you really enjoy, you can carve out a little niche on almost any team.

yeah but i annihilated karen so thats a loser mentality

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Treecko posted:

"so true, bestie!"

https://x.com/StarLoveDeluxe/status/1706145271636529165?s=20

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Countblanc posted:

yeah but i annihilated karen so thats a loser mentality

Anything with quakeslide could.

It's the thought that counts

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

I mostly just watch FlygonHG's vids on youtube, he's pretty knowledgable (or at least he is to my layman eyes) and I think he's decently entertaining without being obnoxious.

Watched one video, he pronounces arcanine “ar-cah-nee-neh” 😬

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thats how its pronounced

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lux Anima posted:

For me the worst behavior in random online tera raids is when someone (they are always a child, mind you) brings a guy with a glaring type disadvantage and then once they realize their charizard is 4x weak to the raidmon's Rock moves or whatever they try to stall out for the rest of their turns, in the vain hope that they can eke out a win if they just take less combat rounds getting dunked on compared to the other 3 players. Stalling to avoid a loss while playing with others online - you hate to see it! Sometimes they will never use a Cheer, and sometimes they will Cheer but only the +Attack option three times in a row, since that's obviously what's gonna help the team the most...

At that point better to just use Flare Blitz and speed this L up because I know that charizard of yours is still running it :supaburn:

This post reminds me of my biggest issue with raids, which is that you have no insight into the intentions or strategies of your partner and it's often impossible to tell if I'm dealing with a literal child, someone stalling out or afk, or if they're doing what they should be doing and we're just outgunned, underprepared or otherwise not doing the right thing, or if the lag/glitches are obfuscating what's happening, or if this particular raid has some gimmick I haven't learned yet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Treecko posted:

Anything with quakeslide could.

It's the thought that counts

Vileplume's not weak to either?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

:thejoke:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

At least he pronounced Magnemite the right way.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Vileplume's not weak to either?

Crobat used Wing Attack!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Araxxor posted:

Do you mean max raid battles? Because in Dynamax Adventures, catch rates are guaranteed as well. It's just the normal max raid battles that had that horseshit decision.

For the record, Tera Raids do have the functionality to block captures. It's just not used at the moment.

Yes, that’s what I mean. The Dynamax Adventure was just as slow and boring as the regular max raids and then I couldn’t catch Kyorge because of my teammates poor decisions.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

At least he pronounced Magnemite the right way.

Mag-nay-mee-tay

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Arcanine is pronounced R-canine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

And its future paradox form is called RK-9