Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Well yeah, he's been a millenial for about four years now

Ten more years until he's gen Z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finally. A Millennial Simpsons that my generation can relate to.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
He isn’t if I don’t watch it

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
People ask me why I, as someone born in 1990, have no sense of nostalgia or place in present-day society. Am I so out of touch? No, it's the boomers who are wrong.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Homer was in high school in the 1970s.

Then he was a grunge singer in 1990-something.

I think he was in college in the mid-2000s somewhere.

And then he was a hip-hop head in the early 1990s.

Oh yeah! He was also a contestant on The Gong Show in 1977.

And he became a father in 1980, 1983, and the mid-90s.

lol

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

No Dignity posted:

Marge's voice has just become Mrs Bouvier's

emgeejay posted:

I have laryngitis and it hurts to talk. So I'll say one thing. Cancel The Simpsons

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 22, 2023

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

homer is a fat bald guy with a beard, of course he's a millennial. just give him some glasses and he would look like 90% of this websight

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

And you have the one showrunner who has been at it forever and has absolutely no sense of humor.
Al Jean genuinely made me laugh today. It will pass
https://twitter.com/aljean/status/1704863142352752903?s=61&t=0u0iPLgsrw9rb7UXErdBQA

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

It is kind of funny. This feels weird

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I'm told he wrote some really good episodes, like WAY back in the day. Season 14 or something.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I'm up to S28:E11 now. There was such a gross out of character "joke" in this episode as Lisa sells her old Malibu Stacey dolls and says : "Goodbye businesswoman Malibu Stacy, plus-size Malibu Stacy, and non-gender normative Malibu Stacy, Your attempts to enter the 21st century brought joy to no one." Its just the polar opposite of Lisa's character and her whole storyline in Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy just so they could make a "LOL wokes these days want fat ugly dolls no-one wants" joke.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Even the Barbie movie itself had better jokes about the more ill-thought-out Barbies and Kens.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/amberleahhx/status/1705962683365835119?s=61&t=0u0iPLgsrw9rb7UXErdBQA

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Annabel Pee posted:

I'm up to S28:E11 now. There was such a gross out of character "joke" in this episode as Lisa sells her old Malibu Stacey dolls and says : "Goodbye businesswoman Malibu Stacy, plus-size Malibu Stacy, and non-gender normative Malibu Stacy, Your attempts to enter the 21st century brought joy to no one." Its just the polar opposite of Lisa's character and her whole storyline in Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy just so they could make a "LOL wokes these days want fat ugly dolls no-one wants" joke.

There are so few “jokes” per episode that they can’t be constrained by trivial things like “would this character say this”.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Halisnacks posted:

There are so few “jokes” per episode that they can’t be constrained by trivial things like “would this character say this”.

They seem to have changed Lisa specifically from a liberal to just the voice of reason for whatever the writers are complaining about. A few episodes later they have her complaining about participation trophies.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Annabel Pee posted:

They seem to have changed Lisa specifically from a liberal to just the voice of reason for whatever the writers are complaining about. A few episodes later they have her complaining about participation trophies.

Homer: Stupid medical insurance fees, why can't the government just provide us free health care like stupid Canada
Lisa: *Rolls eyes* For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt?.... [insert rest of Atlas Shrugged speech here]

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Ayn Rand?? What are you doing here in Springfield?

Hi Lisa!

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Ayn Rand is well established in Springfield, she owns the day care/pre school.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

All I need is short clips like this every now and then to remind me why I haven't watched probably at least decade's worth of newer seasons at this point. The only thing that amused me was that it was just so off-putting everything managed to be in just these few seconds. The oddly detailed and shadow-heavy animation, Julie Kavner's absolutely lifeless yell, and just....I don't like this. I don't like any of this.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Annabel Pee posted:

https://twitter.com/sohamberlamps/status/983200703660351488

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Apu was never particularly politically correct, that's a large part of why he was a joke. It wasn't "here's this indian character" it was "man, all convenience store owners are foreigners, amirite".

I think Hari Kondabolu's opinions on Apu were more nuanced than just "Apu is an offensive stereotype", and more "it's hosed up that the most prominent Indian guy in American pop culture is a white guy doing an accent".

Annabel Pee posted:

It's the kind of joke that I think comes from the writers getting too old and bitter at whatever the kids these days are doing, and too lazy to express it in an actually clever way.

It's not like it'd be unlike classic Simpsons to make fun of Barbie trying to be more representative, adult comedies often try to do scattershot satirization without really thinking through the details, but they wouldn't do it so lazily, or feel the need to make Lisa do it because she's the "smart" character.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 25, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Annabel Pee posted:

I don't think it's particularly uncommon for people who were vaguely progressive in their youth to think that society is 'going too far' a few decades later. Of course, it doesn't really make sense with Lisa since they never aged her up

Thinking about it, the way she's currently written is probably still preferable to having her be some Zoomer caricature doing social justice on TikTok

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lisa would be be one of those ultra-moralistic tumblr/twitter/tiktok scolds today though, she was just the 90s version when the cutting edge of being annoying was being a vegetarian too loudly

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
she'll be on tiktok in two seasons but instead it will be called ClickClock because jokes are hard

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

Apu was never particularly politically correct, that's a large part of why he was a joke. It wasn't "here's this indian character" it was "man, all convenience store owners are foreigners, amirite".

Oft cited but worth saying again. According to the folks who were there at the beginning (who do all have their own reasons to lie about it), the original script said "Convenience store worker (not Indian)" because it was already a hack joke, and Sam Simon told Hank Azaria to do the most stereotypical Indian accent he had in him to shock everyone at the table read.

They often blame poo poo on Sam Simon, since he's dead and all, so who knows whose idea it actually was.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I never picked up on any of that as a kid, I thought Apu was just A Guy

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

TikTok has already appeared in one treehouse and two regular episodes, but with a weirdly off-brand logo:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

emgeejay posted:

TikTok has already appeared in one treehouse and two regular episodes, but with a weirdly off-brand logo:

They've still got it

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I wish Moe could get that cell phone.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Annabel Pee posted:

I wish Moe could get that cell phone.

Who would he call?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fish of hemp posted:

Who would he call?

His fiancee

https://simpsonswiki.com/wiki/Maya

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

He finally found Ms Buttreeks?!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I can't stop noticing those weird downturned almond eyes they give every single new woman character that's supposed to be attractive.

I feel like Lindsay Naegle is the original but I have nothing to back that up.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's not like it'd be unlike classic Simpsons to make fun of Barbie trying to be more representative, adult comedies often try to do scattershot satirization without really thinking through the details, but they wouldn't do it so lazily, or feel the need to make Lisa do it because she's the "smart" character.

They already made that joke into the full-length Lisa Lionheart episode.

Lisa was once written as a somewhat balanced character, she was academically precocious but still was fundamentally a child, with childish interests and impulses. It was comical when those two sides of her clashed.

A better joke wouldn't have been directed at the concept of a plus-sized Malibu Stacey doll, it would have been directed at Lisa for campaigning for one but then immediately forgetting about it once she got it. Or for doing to compensate for looking down on the plus-sized role models in her own community, or for failing to notice that she's still relying on a corporation to define beauty.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ror posted:

I can't stop noticing those weird downturned almond eyes they give every single new woman character that's supposed to be attractive.

I feel like Lindsay Naegle is the original but I have nothing to back that up.

Futurama does this all the time, even to Leela in that episode where she has two eyes. It's weird looking and I don't like it.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
On celebrity appearances in the golden era, is the Rodney Dangerfield episode considered good? I quite enjoy it, and it feels like just enough effort is put into the story, but I can appreciate it is a hair’s breadth away from “Rodney Dangerfield! What are you doing in Springfield?”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's a bit weird given his entire gimmick. Maybe that's what makes it work. The point is his character is that of a comical lovable loser.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Halisnacks posted:

On celebrity appearances in the golden era, is the Rodney Dangerfield episode considered good? I quite enjoy it, and it feels like just enough effort is put into the story, but I can appreciate it is a hair’s breadth away from “Rodney Dangerfield! What are you doing in Springfield?”

i don't think i've heard anyone comment negatively about it, and personally it's one of my favorite episodes. the line with him, homer and mr burns having dinner lives rent free in my head all the time

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah, I think it works well as Dangerfield was a great comedian and the script knew how to use him. Pairing him with burns and homer was great as it showed off how well and how badly he can get on with people. Great guest star, well used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

the line with him, homer and mr burns having dinner lives rent free in my head all the time

“If this party got any livelier, a funeral would break out” is great, but so is Homer earnestly answering the question about whether his son has any annoying friends, by asking Burns if he ever met this kid Milhouse.

A+ scene