Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

People seem to like the Peak Design cases but doesn't the fabric get grody like people are thinking the new Apple fabric ones will?

It's not similarly constructed at all. The PD case has sort of a fabric look, but it just feels like a hunk of textured plastic. The Apple ones feel like someone lightly wrapped a scarf around a phone case.

xzzy posted:

Also they aren't magsafe compliant because they use a different magnet arrangement and if you buy the case with the finger loop the magnetic strength is significantly reduced.

It works with all the magsafe stuff I've tried... I think it is compliant, it just looks different. Also, going in the other direction, I've used PD's magnetic accessories with a naked phone, and that worked, too. It's just not as strong as when you're using their stuff on both sides.

And now it'll seem like i'm working for PD by continuing on this tack, but I've used them both with and without the loop and haven't noticed a difference, though I can't say I tested them side-by-side.

All that said, I'm going caseless now, though I ordered a new PD case just for the once in a while that I want to use one of the click-in mounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rageaholic posted:

I'm guessing the "console level gaming" from the keynote (Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed, The Division) would also drain the battery rather quickly. But are those even available yet?

They gave reviewers a preview build of RE8 but the RE ports I think are out next month. I'm expecting the battery life playing them to be the same story as other handhelds like the Switch and Steam Deck at max demand, 2-3 hours at most. That's about what Genshin Impact at max settings or a 3DMark stress test will do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shart Carbuncle posted:

It works with all the magsafe stuff I've tried... I think it is compliant, it just looks different. Also, going in the other direction, I've used PD's magnetic accessories with a naked phone, and that worked, too. It's just not as strong as when you're using their stuff on both sides.

Didn't mean to imply it doesn't work, it works great and in general it's stronger than official magsafe. But I think it means they can't be certified as magsafe. Which is a pointless distinction but maybe someone cares? I don't know! I'm just posting.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

xzzy posted:

Didn't mean to imply it doesn't work, it works great and in general it's stronger than official magsafe. But I think it means they can't be certified as magsafe. Which is a pointless distinction but maybe someone cares? I don't know! I'm just posting.

How loving dare you!

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

dutchbstrd posted:

yeah but i want to travel with just the puck, not one with a cord sticking out. Then I can plug in whatever size cable I need for a given situation.

Unless I just get magsafe for home I guess.

Would a car one do?

https://amzn.eu/d/0LdUfi9

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A number of brands that very likely could put the official Magsafe stamp on their stuff also don't because it costs money to have Apple certify it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

A number of brands that very likely could put the official Magsafe stamp on their stuff also don't because it costs money to have Apple certify it.

It also performs the service of us getting to enjoy all the names they come up for it that make it look like a weird knockoff. Like yes tell me more about your "MagGo" charging system.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!

man nurse posted:

Alright, time for some basic bitch questions. Or just fishing for recommendations.

I have a pretty long in the tooth 11. I’m leaning towards a 15 Pro. I don’t care for the extra size on the Pro Max but the better battery is slightly tempting.

I guess my question is how big is the difference between the base 15 and the Pro. I gather it’s the camera, the processor, and the USB 2.0 limitation. I’m not too fussed about the camera, but how appreciable are the processor and USB upgrades for basic use?

tldr: I’ve got a very very well used 11. Which 15 should I get between base and pro.

I was literally in this scenario of upgrading from the 11, and I went with the 15. I don't game and I don't really need a fancier camera for the casual photos I tend to take. I'm very happy with the 15 so far. Plus the baby blue color is gorgeous.

Although I also had to buy all these new USB-C cords and poo poo, and am starting to think I might as well have kept all my old cords and gotten a 14 Pro :sigh: Oh well, it's still pretty.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I’m becoming increasingly irritated that I don’t have a visual reference for which way up the phone is when I pick it up.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a way to condense the display in the reminders app? I got the grocery auto category thing to work finally but there’s just so much white space that it’s annoying. If there isn’t a way to condense it I’d rather just turn it back into a dumb list without any categories.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Surprise T Rex posted:

Any trip reports from those who went XR to 15 Pro? Ordered mine finally and it’s not here until October 12th so I have to live vicariously through this thread.

Josh Lyman posted:

Camera, screen, responsiveness, hand feel, everything is better.

This is my first iPhone -> iPhone upgrade and I went XR to 15 Pro Max. I'd echo what Josh said. It's absolutely fantastic.

The combination of responsiveness and 120hz refresh really makes for an incredibly high-end, slick feel. Interestingly, my wife got a 15 plus and, while it's still a great upgrade, it just doesn't have the same high-end feel that my 15PM does.

I use Safari and Brave to browse and it was getting very choppy and unwieldy on my XR - especially Safari since it doesn't have ad-blocking. There is virtually no stuttering/unbalanced page loads on my PM - it's very smooth.

Obviously the battery has been a massive upgrade. I'm trying out the 80% charge option, but I don't think I've dipped below 50% yet (although, admittedly, my daily use hasn't been overly heavy so far).

Finally, one of my favorite things about the PM is that the Face ID checkbox animation appears at the top of the screen (in the dynamic island?) and is definitely quicker than on the XR. I'm not sure if it's just that the animation is faster or if there is some sort of increased processing speed, but the difference is noticeable. It's a massive QoL improvement when you use Face ID for nearly every app.

Overall, I'm absolutely chuffed at how great of an upgrade this has been so far.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
If you have the Anker cube for charging and don’t use AirPods charging you can charge your electric toothbrush off the AirPods pad. Any other stuff that could be charged off this?

Also guess this goes for other similar charging sets.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Fireside Nut posted:

I use Safari and Brave to browse and it was getting very choppy and unwieldy on my XR - especially Safari since it doesn't have ad-blocking. There is virtually no stuttering/unbalanced page loads on my PM - it's very smooth.

Finally, one of my favorite things about the PM is that the Face ID checkbox animation appears at the top of the screen (in the dynamic island?) and is definitely quicker than on the XR. I'm not sure if it's just that the animation is faster or if there is some sort of increased processing speed, but the difference is noticeable. It's a massive QoL improvement when you use Face ID for nearly every app.

Face ID seems to work a lot faster than even more recent iphones, I don't think you're imagining it.

Also fyi there are adblocking extensions for safari if you're interested. It's a little clunky, but I've had a good experience with 1Blocker.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
1Blocker is very good my biggest hassle with it is sometimes in app tracking blocking fucks up very poorly coded fast food ordering apps but they just made a widget so it’s even easier to toggle.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Ironically while reading 15 Pro reviews I noticed that my XR was getting super hot, draining the battery ridiculously fast and occasionally lagging so badly the entire phone would lock up for 10+ seconds. Sometimes while reading a long article the phone just stops rendering anything on the page past a certain point and I have to refresh to get the rest of the page to show.

I’ve since installed AdGuard and use that as a Safari extension to minimise ads while browsing and it’s made a huge difference.

This is really a leisure upgrade rather than one of necessity though, because even though the XR is a bit slow these days and the battery isn’t [i]amazing[/] it’s still honestly a pretty decent phone to say it’s 5 years old. Even the camera is quite good for its age (albeit with only one lens). I just really wanted AOD, multiple camera lenses, and MagSafe.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sometimes after an OS update a process goes bonkers in the background, slaughtering battery and running hot. A reboot frequently cleans that up.

If an adblocker fixed that's fine but I'd still do a full reboot just to be sure, it only takes a minute.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

God dammit I don’t think I’ve once remembered to manually transfer Google Authenticator to the new phone before wiping the old one and this was no exception

Maybe I should finally get around to moving my 2FA things to 1Password so this doesn’t happen again

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

God dammit I don’t think I’ve once remembered to manually transfer Google Authenticator to the new phone before wiping the old one and this was no exception

Maybe I should finally get around to moving my 2FA things to 1Password so this doesn’t happen again

Authentication apps are the worst for that.

For me is always google and the Microsoft one.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

All of my logins to authentication and financial apps got wiped out. It feels like the kind of thing a data transfer should avoid. I guess Apple can’t do anything about it since the apps themselves are triggering these security measures.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I hate how every time a new iPhone is launched my youtube feed gets full of mr beast lookalike dipshits yelling how the iPhone repair ability is the worst due to part pairing while being sponsored by ifixit. Part pairing has actively curbed phone theft here.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

They probably shouldn’t suggest that you wipe the old phone immediately after the data transfer, it makes more sense to check your important apps first.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That's weird, my Google Authenticator transferred just fine. I know I've had issues in the past, but for some reason it worked just fine this time.
:iiam:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Ive had a few accounts switch off two factor to the new apple Passkey thing which seems cool. Hopefully it makes it so I’m not screwed if I lose my phone

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Google authenticator has cloud sync now, so if you do have that on it transfers fine.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Another good auth app with cloud sync is Ente Auth. Their main app is an encrypted photo backup service made by an ex Google employee.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

For me it literally doesn't show up when I search "actions". The App Store also adds a "games" label and re-adds it if I try to remove it.

If I search for the developer (Sindre Sorhus) or simply include the developer in the search (like "Actions Sindre) it does how up, so it's not like it's region locked. Strange.

Edit: my new "camera or torch" action button shortcut is great

NFX fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 25, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

While re-setting up my login for Capital One, it asked me to tap the credit card against the phone as a 2FA measure. The phone reacted to the card immediately and got me logged in. This was insanely cool and I don’t know how they’re doing it or why this doesn’t happen more. Product differentiation in the 2FA space is pretty rare.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vegetable posted:

While re-setting up my login for Capital One, it asked me to tap the credit card against the phone as a 2FA measure. The phone reacted to the card immediately and got me logged in. This was insanely cool and I don’t know how they’re doing it or why this doesn’t happen more. Product differentiation in the 2FA space is pretty rare.

The Square app can take payments direct with your phone using that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I use OTP Auth which stores the 2FA poo poo in iCloud so I don't have to redo them every time.

1Password also does it.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Also fyi there are adblocking extensions for safari if you're interested. It's a little clunky, but I've had a good experience with 1Blocker.

I did not realize Safari supported 3rd party extensions. Grabbed 1Blocker and it's pretty nice. Thank you! :cheers:

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah, having 2fa codes in 1password is one of those things that I understand is worse for security, but also so convenient that I’ll always use it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
If you are rocking an XR for 4-5 years, I don't think there is any shame in upgrading even if it's working fine. The phone had a good life! No need to justify it.

I'm hoping to keep my 15 Pro Max for at least 3 years, unless I decide to jump back to Android before then.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Is it bad for your battery health to magnetically charge your phone on a Qi pad that isn't well-aligned with your phone?

I've been using this charging dock at night. You're meant to stand your phone on it, but I've found if I lay my phone sideways I can still charge while also getting StandBy view. However, I'm worried the charging coil is higher in the pad than is meant to work with your phone, and potentially causing more stress on the battery while charging than normal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PT3LCZL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't think it really works that way? Either it charges or it doesn't.

The extra heat from wireless charging might be a problem, but that will be inherent whether the phone is aligned or not.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
For anyone thinking ofa case and the have the iPhone in blue, green, yellow (lmao), or pink, may I humbly suggest the Spigen Ultra Hybrid in the red-blue gradient. Looks kick rear end with my green 15.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I returned the apple clear hard case, and got this from my local Best Buy:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-hard-shell-case-with-magsafe-kickstand-for-iphone-15-pro-max-black/6548295.p?skuId=6548295

It's actually very nice! It's got some grip, and I guess the kickstand is an added plus.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Aphrodite posted:

Google authenticator has cloud sync now, so if you do have that on it transfers fine.
You can also just have Keychain store your 2FA keys, though IMO it’s either extremely convenient if Safari auto fills it correctly or extremely annoying if it doesn’t

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah it's helpfully telling me it's backing up all my codes to the cloud and at the same time saying I don't have any codes. I guess it may not have been turned on in my last phone despite being automatically on in the new one.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Got my dark brown nomad leather case

It’s ok I am not a fan of the hard plastic/rubber band but the leather looks and smells nice

Looking forward to my Bullstrap showing up in a bit, it doesn’t have a bottom lip right? That’s like my ideal case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
It's awesome being able to see my phone's screen when outside with my new 15.

I'm crying tears of joy :cry: