Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

eh im just a dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Its on the top of the list until Star Trek metal becomes popular
filk metal

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Dimebags Brain posted:

Yooo this rules. Vicious caveman poo poo but the cavemen are weird aliens.

https://newstandardelite.bandcamp.com/album/trichomoniasis-makeshift-crematoria

I am single, over 40 and alone. When I hear this song I wish I had someone to share a Saturday with to be outdoors enjoying life (no phone/social media) and then home to cook dinner together, laugh, kiss, dance and just happy to be together and wake up together.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Wachter posted:

I'm going to eat a probe for this but you can swap the words "deathcore" and "Sabaton" around in this post and it's just as true to life

deathcore fans likes teans, sabaton fans go quite a bit younger

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

symbolic posted:

you're unironically going to see the better band

Spanish Manlove posted:

this sounds like a good thing

Is this some stupid "unironically ironic" poo poo or what?

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

My 6 year old son is more into his mothers softer rock / singer songwriter stuff and doesn't really feels metal but he seemed to be hyped when I showed him an epic lotr battle compilation video accompanied with Manowars Battle Hymn, i guess this is the way to slowly turn the table

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
seeing agalloch for the 3rd time tonight. i am excited.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

DEAR RICHARD posted:

seeing agalloch for the 3rd time tonight. i am excited.

I didn't even know they were touring. Looks like only a few dates though.

I used to be super into them, and I'd totally go see them if they ever came to Detroit.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Black Sunshine posted:

No. Pantera loving sucks and this "reunion" shouldn't have happened.

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

Dimebag rules

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Black Sunshine posted:

Dime was Pantera. Phil dragging the shambling corpse of the band vs. goofy grandpa Fred Durst...no contest imo

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Megadeth trip report: Not nearly as good as they were twenty years ago when I saw them last, but still a fun show. Also saw Biohazard (better than I expected, I'm honestly not very familiar with them but they covered Bad Religion which was cool), Unearth (decent music, did not care for the singer) and Jigsaw Youth (an all-girl punk band that sometimes skirted doom which was cool).

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

remigious posted:

Thank you :) it’s nice to be reminded that the majority of people are decent.

Holy gently caress this sounds awful, I am sorry you had to go through that fuckin poo poo

Also, thanks for nothing thread. I purchased earplugs from Thomann or whatever after y'all said they are a nice concert accessory and they loving suck so hard. Earplugs loving suck !!! WTF who even had the idea to make "concert earplugs" I can't even hear jack poo poo.

Check this out: If you stuff your ears with plugs you can't even hear the music, no matter what stupid lovely valve you put in the plugs, they all suck !
(I got some plugs in the $20 range)

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

deathcore fans likes teans, sabaton fans go quite a bit younger

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

You have to atone by saying meshuggah is good

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Monstaland posted:

My 6 year old son is more into his mothers softer rock / singer songwriter stuff and doesn't really feels metal but he seemed to be hyped when I showed him an epic lotr battle compilation video accompanied with Manowars Battle Hymn, i guess this is the way to slowly turn the table

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXhhlYdySqQ

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Mr. Pickles posted:

Also, thanks for nothing thread. I purchased earplugs from Thomann or whatever after y'all said they are a nice concert accessory and they loving suck so hard. Earplugs loving suck !!! WTF who even had the idea to make "concert earplugs" I can't even hear jack poo poo.

Check this out: If you stuff your ears with plugs you can't even hear the music, no matter what stupid lovely valve you put in the plugs, they all suck !

Sorry your hearing is already shot. I've worn $5 earplugs to concerts my whole life and my hearing is pristine and concerts sound fantastic

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Killingyouguy! posted:

Sorry your hearing is already shot. I've worn $5 earplugs to concerts my whole life and my hearing is pristine and concerts sound fantastic

No its not Im hearing stuff just fine thank you. When I place earplug into ear is when the music stops and I just get like hints of treble and like, all the bass.

WTF is this am I deaf?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Mr. Pickles posted:

No its not Im hearing stuff just fine thank you. When I place earplug into ear is when the music stops and I just get like hints of treble and like, all the bass.

WTF is this am I deaf?

Higher frequencies go first with hearing loss, yeah

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Mr. Pickles posted:

WTF is this am I deaf?

You will be if you keep that up

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Maybe you’re wearing them wrong, OP? I have etymotics ear plugs. They’re good, not perfect. Better than hearing loss though.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Whatever, I had a good run. My greatest shortcommings as a person is never seeing Dio and Lemmy live. But I have seen everything else, in a very literal sense. I'm quite done with hearing and with listening

But OK, I guess I'll give these plugs another shot in the spirit of self care. Thanks for the info !

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

But yeah i find plugs sound way worse if they're not all the way in there

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mr. Pickles posted:

Holy gently caress this sounds awful, I am sorry you had to go through that fuckin poo poo

You're stupid and an idiot. Wear earplugs. Or dont and enjoy being functionally deaf by the time you're 35

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've had tinnitus since my 20's because I was a dumb teenager. Now that I'm staring down the barrel of 50 someone has turned up the gain on the ringing and it's getting super annoying.

Protect your ears.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Killingyouguy! posted:

But yeah i find plugs sound way worse if they're not all the way in there

I was thinking this at a Messa concert (full of hipsters, literally half the venue wore plugs lol) so I pushed the darn thing all the way in to the point it was hard to recover without some form of toothpick or wire. I felt awkward not being able to remove it so I just had someone fish it out. Gonna try agane

Spanish Manlove posted:

You're stupid and an idiot. Wear earplugs. Or dont and enjoy being functionally deaf by the time you're 35

Well, here's the thing...

xzzy posted:

I've had tinnitus since my 20's because I was a dumb teenager. Now that I'm staring down the barrel of 50 someone has turned up the gain on the ringing and it's getting super annoying.

Protect your ears.

Yes sir!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Mr. Pickles posted:

I was thinking this at a Messa concert (full of hipsters, literally half the venue wore plugs lol) so I pushed the darn thing all the way in to the point it was hard to recover without some form of toothpick or wire. I felt awkward not being able to remove it so I just had someone fish it out. Gonna try agane

Are your ear drums simply missing? How are your ears that deep. What

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The best earplugs I've found for music are $3 each

https://www.amazon.com/3M-90716-800...ps%2C105&sr=8-5

I've tried the foam ones, some fancy ones one etymotic, some from eargasm, and a lot of others. These are the only ones that provide enough sound attenuation to make concerts bearable while still sounding good, to me at least.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Killingyouguy! posted:

Are your ear drums simply missing? How are your ears that deep. What

I mean like, ears are largely different from one person to the next.. as are fingers :p My outer ear canal is probably quite narrow, thats why I cant reach into it to recover the plug if its all the way in

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Mr. Pickles posted:

i will never

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mr. Pickles posted:

Well, here's the thing...

Yes sir!

Don't push things into your ears further than you can fit a finger in there. Your ear canal is surprisingly deep and basically if you shove something deep in there you'll gently caress poo poo up even without rupturing your eardrum

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

Don't push things into your ears further than you can fit a finger in there.

Now you are just being condescending :colbert:

All jokes aside though I will bring the darn plugs to the next concert and try them again

How can you not like Meshuggah, the greatest band in the universe.

PS I am now doing online hearing tests on a Monday

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Here's something that should be in the OP:

source: CDC

You can experience permanent hearing loss at a concert if you don't wear earplugs. NIOSH is a little more conservative with occupational noise exposure limits than OSHA but this is a good timeline and guide for a healthy hearing ability. A concert is about 113 dBA or higher and even if you're going to see one band that's at least 40 minutes of noise exposure. Earplugs don't entirely fix the problem but push that timeline into a safe and manageable limit so you can see the whole show and not experience a decline in hearing ability like still being able to understand people when they're talking in a crowded bar.

Studies on acoustic trauma and tinnitus will use around 1h exposure of a 116 dB noise to cause permanent threshold shift and behavioral/neural signs of tinnitus. dB and dBA aren't exactly comparable without an annoying level of math, but these exposures are on par with an average concert timeline:

Norena, A. J., & Eggermont, J. J. (2003). Changes in spontaneous neural activity immediately after an acoustic trauma: implications for neural correlates of tinnitus. Hearing research, 183(1-2), 137-153.
Temmel AF, Kierner AC, Steurer M, Riedl S, Innitzer J. Hearing loss and tinnitus in acute acoustic trauma. Wiener Klinische Wochenschrift. 1999 Nov;111(21):891-893. PMID: 10599152.
Longenecker, R. J., & Galazyuk, A. V. (2016). Variable effects of acoustic trauma on behavioral and neural correlates of tinnitus in individual animals. Frontiers in behavioral neuroscience, 10, 207.
etc

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

That's just lol metrics if you consider the average rave is 8-12 hours long if you gear up for it

I clearly should be deaf by now?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mr. Pickles posted:

That's just lol metrics if you consider the average rave is 8-12 hours long if you gear up for it

I clearly should be deaf by now?

If you go to an audiology clinic and have them perform an audiogram I'd be interested in seeing the results. You may be able to hear people in quiet situations but still unable to hear things past 12 kHz or understand speech in noise after repeated exposure.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

If you go to an audiology clinic and have them perform an audiogram I'd be interested in seeing the results. You may be able to hear people in quiet situations but still unable to hear things past 12 kHz or understand speech in noise after repeated exposure.

Y'all got me rattled, I might as well do that, but no promises!

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Mr. Pickles posted:

How can you not like Meshuggah, the greatest band in the universe.

It becomes super easy once you notice that (outside of Tomas Haake) they are sinfully loving boring.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Modal Auxiliary posted:

It becomes super easy once you notice that (outside of Tomas Haake) they are sinfully loving boring.

Sleep is boring too, amirite

I loving love Sleep!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Mr. Pickles posted:

Y'all got me rattled, I might as well do that, but no promises!

Do we still do toxxes

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Spanish Manlove posted:

The best earplugs I've found for music are $3 each

https://www.amazon.com/3M-90716-800...ps%2C105&sr=8-5

I've tried the foam ones, some fancy ones one etymotic, some from eargasm, and a lot of others. These are the only ones that provide enough sound attenuation to make concerts bearable while still sounding good, to me at least.

Is there a non-corded version you like? I love cheap and effective earplugs, especially if they sound ok

xzzy posted:

Protect your ears.

At post-50 my tinnitus sucks and it’s getting harder for me to hear conversations in loud environments. There were just too many loud little shows where I never used earplugs and I’d leave with my hearing sounding like a jet engine in my head. Dumbass

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Snowy posted:

Is there a non-corded version you like? I love cheap and effective earplugs, especially if they sound ok

At post-50 my tinnitus sucks and it’s getting harder for me to hear conversations in loud environments. There were just too many loud little shows where I never used earplugs and I’d leave with my hearing sounding like a jet engine in my head. Dumbass

The cords can be pulled out or cut off. Also I cant find the old ones I used to get at work and used for playing guitar at home and going to shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I wore too many earplugs personally.