Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
This is the first phase of your mission. And it requires some intense jab-fighting. These woodstock fighters may look pretty tame, but they're loaded up with some potent high-flying formula power. The question is, are your flying skills enough to cope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Failboattootoot posted:

Grandia 3 didn't have a protagonist mom, but the protagonist's mom did join the party for awhile. She was pretty much the most interesting character in that stupid game and the quality dropped significantly when her and that satyr guy hosed off to live on a boat while you were stuck with the lousy children.

Give me a crossover game whose party is made up of just Grandia moms. The world will be saved in a day an they’re look fabulous doing it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Anyone playing Wandering Sword manage to find any of the Class I crafting recipes? I have a few Class II I took off some stronger folks but I haven't been able to find them all. I'm in the Western jungle area now and it feels like I have to be getting close to the end of the game now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Levantine posted:

Anyone playing Wandering Sword manage to find any of the Class I crafting recipes? I have a few Class II I took off some stronger folks but I haven't been able to find them all. I'm in the Western jungle area now and it feels like I have to be getting close to the end of the game now.

Not personally, but somebody else I know says this guy is the only source of them:

And he's the game's optional superboss.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zereth posted:

Not personally, but somebody else I know says this guy is the only source of them:

And he's the game's optional superboss.

I thought he might be something special so I did a couple dozen save/reloads to see what he dropped. The drops must be super rare since I haven't seen any. Not sure I care enough to grind that out and Class II stuff is plenty strong.

Thanks for that though!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Levantine posted:

I thought he might be something special so I did a couple dozen save/reloads to see what he dropped. The drops must be super rare since I haven't seen any. Not sure I care enough to grind that out and Class II stuff is plenty strong.

Thanks for that though!
Yeah he reportedly has an enormous amount of things he can drop.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

are either of star ocean the divine force or star ocean 5 any good? they just popped up on psn plus, along with 13 sentinels

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Artelier posted:

are either of star ocean the divine force or star ocean 5 any good? they just popped up on psn plus, along with 13 sentinels

No. DF is better than the other one but 'aggressively and painfully mediocre' is the high point they reach.

13 Sentinels is great though.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

While it had issues I found Star Ocean Divine force fun to play through and worth it it's for decently cheap

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I'm about five hours in and it feels pretty telling that I've encountered multiple bits of travel banter that amount to "wow this are sure does look different now that we're walking in the other direction because the game mandated we backtrack"

Edit: Also it's weird that the only people you can talk to in towns are Minigame Players, but you can't access the Minigame until the third town, and then in the third town it doesn't look like there are any Minigame Players you'll be able to play against because your rank is too low.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 25, 2023

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Feels Villeneuve posted:

congrats op for somehow winning the extremely competitive award for Most Whack Post About Chrono Trigger in the RPG Thread

:eyepop:

every indie jrpg cites chrono trigger as an inspiration but what about persona 2 or xenogears or something........ 😔

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

As someone who loves Persona 2 I would run away from any game that lists it as an inspiration.

Maybe if it was games they learned what not to do from.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Booky posted:

every indie jrpg cites chrono trigger as an inspiration but what about persona 2 or xenogears or something........ 😔

I mean Chained Echoes listed Xenogears as an one of its inspirations and boy does it show.

poo poo the big plot twist is what if Ramsus hosed up the Fei and Elly reincarnation cycle.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Booky posted:

It extremely sucks that in order to get eyes on the project Kasey Ozymy has to keep pitching Hymn to the Earless God as a Chrono Trigger inspired RPG when it has way more interesting roots in poo poo like Lennus and SaGa.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
imo i think persona 2 learned from chrono trigger with fusion spells spamming

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr. Maltose posted:

It extremely sucks that in order to get eyes on the project Kasey Ozymy has to keep pitching Hymn to the Earless God as a Chrono Trigger inspired RPG when it has way more interesting roots in poo poo like Lennus and SaGa.

HttEG looks really sharp. I kind of hope Kasey is able to put it out, because it really doesn't look like it's kickstarter is coming through.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Tired Moritz posted:

imo i think persona 2 learned from chrono trigger with fusion spells spamming

I think it's more Phantasy Star 4 coded since P2 also borrowed the Macro system.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zoning out on a train, intoxicated, grinding in Dragon Quest 6 so that someday Ill feel confident enough to fight the final boss

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

It's been so long, I've been patient. Where is Saga Emerald Beyond. This isn't a question, this is a demand.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dackel posted:

It's been so long, I've been patient. Where is Saga Emerald Beyond. This isn't a question, this is a demand.

Its release date is randomized every time you dive/surface so just keep going up and down in the submarine until you spot it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My biggest beef with Star Ocean The Divine Force is that the UI is for ants! It's wild how they haven't fixed that.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Barudak posted:

Zoning out on a train, intoxicated, grinding in Dragon Quest 6 so that someday Ill feel confident enough to fight the final boss

How is it by the endgame? I started the DS version a little while ago and so far I've recruited Amos and got my poo poo kicked in by Brutus because Ashlynn goes down in one hit and I'm an idiot with no Yggdrasil leaves on hand.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Draga posted:

How is it by the endgame? I started the DS version a little while ago and so far I've recruited Amos and got my poo poo kicked in by Brutus because Ashlynn goes down in one hit and I'm an idiot with no Yggdrasil leaves on hand.

Other than Murdaw, the games difficulty is perfectly fine if a bit stat check-y up until the final boss who is just an absolute son of a programming ball of stiffness.

After eating it on him twice, I just boot it up to grind a little every now and then telling myself Ill totally fight him again.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Another game leaving its dual screen roots behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZvxXLOpc4A

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mierenneuker posted:

Another game leaving its dual screen shackles.

:geno:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mierenneuker posted:

Interesting choice. It's basically just a worse verison of Alliance Alive. Not a bad game, but who was asking for it?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Levantine posted:

Interesting choice. It's basically just a worse verison of Alliance Alive. Not a bad game, but who was asking for it?

As someone who missed out on it during the 3DS days and liked that HD port of Alliance Alive, I guess I am? Even knowing it's worse than Alliance Alive I'm still a bit interested in it, though I'd rather see a new game from that dev team since Alliance Alive felt like they were so close to figuring out a good SaGa-esque combat system.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Srice posted:

As someone who missed out on it during the 3DS days and liked that HD port of Alliance Alive, I guess I am? Even knowing it's worse than Alliance Alive I'm still a bit interested in it, though I'd rather see a new game from that dev team since Alliance Alive felt like they were so close to figuring out a good SaGa-esque combat system.

It's just a precursor to AA, so it's not strictly "worse", but AA was more evolved. It's not a bad game by any stretch, but the soundtrack is the real draw IMO.

I agree with you though. I'd love to see a new game iterating on what they've done since Alliance Alive. I know these games are not fan favorites or anything but they scratch a particular itch.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
All this recent talk about Chrono Trigger and time travel in RPGs made me realize that I don't know as many RPGs that utilize virtual reality. And I don't mean games that put you into a pretend MMO, that's lame.

I still have fond memories of playing Secret of Evermore, but I think that's it?

Was the game where you beat up an evil butler to free people from a virtual reality machine really the only RPG where virtual reality was the gimmick?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
its time to play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Soul Hackers had a VR world as a pretty big part of the plot

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Libluini posted:

All this recent talk about Chrono Trigger and time travel in RPGs made me realize that I don't know as many RPGs that utilize virtual reality. And I don't mean games that put you into a pretend MMO, that's lame.

I still have fond memories of playing Secret of Evermore, but I think that's it?

Was the game where you beat up an evil butler to free people from a virtual reality machine really the only RPG where virtual reality was the gimmick?

Mega Man Battle Network

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Libluini posted:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also the whole fate/extra series, that's the most obvious one. they do a lot of fun stuff with the vr setting

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

its time to play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

Grindy as they could get, I enjoyed them and hopw to see more.

One thing I liked was that they werent afraid to dip into horror elements such a setting brings. Like the sidequest with scammers who sell virtual real dolls to people, including high schoolers, and then kidnap their bodies for black market harvesting. That one ended on a kid trying to jack out and being confused what "No exit location" means., or the story with the bullies in the second one.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

alliance alive was surprisingly good. based furyu and cattle call

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Mierenneuker posted:

Pretty sure I played this; I think this is the one that was kind of a SaGa knockoff?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Libluini posted:

It's not a huge part of it but SMTII kicks off with Steven somehow contacting you through a VR combat trainer. Later on another Virtual world comes up as a moral choice and a backdoor into hell.

DDS also heavily involves a virtual world

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FireWorksWell posted:

Grindy as they could get, I enjoyed them and hopw to see more.

One thing I liked was that they werent afraid to dip into horror elements such a setting brings. Like the sidequest with scammers who sell virtual real dolls to people, including high schoolers, and then kidnap their bodies for black market harvesting. That one ended on a kid trying to jack out and being confused what "No exit location" means., or the story with the bullies in the second one.

It's really not hard to break the grind clean over your knee in the Digimon Story games due to one simple factpr;

EXP and money bonuses stack. You can do some spectacularly abusive things loading up with Tactician USB's on a single Digimon that has a passive Bonus XP skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's really not hard to break the grind clean over your knee in the Digimon Story games due to one simple factpr;

EXP and money bonuses stack. You can do some spectacularly abusive things loading up with Tactician USB's on a single Digimon that has a passive Bonus XP skill.

Yeah it's not as bad as it could be, I used to run two PlatSukamons in the story for HM.

Speaking of Digimon Story, Lost Evolution got its full fan translation a couple months back and I'm finding it pretty enjoyable.