Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

alf_pogs posted:

oh drat, sold. lining this up for the weekend

https://youtu.be/4TK4uS9dzdM?si=odkDpY3KtXe3fIJI

What the heck this looks amazing.

Some cool poo poo coming out of South America lately, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

If anyone is interested in this setup (and it's a good one), track down History of the Occult/Historia de lo Oculto from 2020, it's an Argentinian movie with a very similar premise and it might be the only thing not made by David Lynch that really hits those Lynchian vibes.

That looks fantastic and looks like I can watch it on Tubi! Thanks for this recommendation.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Vindicta had an awesome trailer and great slasher villain design but I'm cautious since the director's other credits don't inspire confidence. I'm hoping to be surprised by it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm predictably waffling on the last few October thread bonus challenges so hey, if anyone has some last minute ideas there's still time to sneak them in!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

History of the Occult rules, I watched it for one of the challenges last time and it's quite an experience

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Basebf555 posted:

I'm predictably waffling on the last few October thread bonus challenges so hey, if anyone has some last minute ideas there's still time to sneak them in!

Do the one I did a few years ago where you watch a movie or two from your birth year.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

Movies about killer butts

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Devil is an extremely stupid movie but I found it to be a pretty enjoyable kind of stupid, not all that different from Pope's Exorcist except it has this thin veneer of being pseudo-intellectual. Very very dumb things that try just a tiny bit to look smart can be very fun.

Speaking of Pope's Exorcist though, I think it's hilarious that the exorcist is based on a real guy and his real memoirs but the Pope character is definitely not based on JP2 at all. It's like if you did The Butler but all the presidents were insane made up presidents played by Franco Nero.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Basebf555 posted:

Animal attack movie!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Texas Chainsaw 2 is perhaps the most effective movie I've ever seen at making me immediately hope the main characters die. It's six minutes in and I could not be happier if either of the two teenage dudes are murdered immediately.

[e: loving sick, Tobe Hooper killed them within the next five minutes, I'm sorry for doubting you dad]

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 25, 2023

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Also, watch a movie with a stupidly long title (five or more words long).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Animal attack movie!

I'm considering it, only reason I didn't go with it initially is because we've had it in for the past few years and I thought maybe people would be bored with it. But hey, animal attack movies are fun so if it's popular then might as well use it.

Hollismason posted:

Do the one I did a few years ago where you watch a movie or two from your birth year.

Actually kinda similar to what I said about animal attack movies, I thought I'd seen some people say that they were starting to run out of good options for birth year movies. On the other hand, rewatches are kosher this year so maybe that's not so much of an issue.

Much to think about over the next few days...

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Also, watch a movie with a stupidly long title (five or more words long).

I like that this one is basically "watch a giallo" without having to actually say it

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
take a bunch of psilocybin and watch Cannibal Holocaust and Henry portrait of a serial killer challenge.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

High Warlord Zog posted:

No One Will Save You is a banger

:hai:

Crescent Wrench posted:

I'm not sure that you can read the ending of No One Will Save You as the aliens simply giving up on defeating her because she's so tough, they already had her captured and killing her would be trivial. Besides, they didn't throw her in a cage, they gave her a real-life interactive dollhouse with human slaves. And didn't those humans still have the parasitic aliens in their throats? That's a lot of manpower. There's got to be something more complex going on with regard to their motivations.

It took me a while to figure out what was going on, like, I didnt really put it together until this morning, but my take is the parasites are basically putting people into "The Matrix, but nice". She rejects that, due to overwhelming guilt, so they build her an irl habitat instead. Its very clear the telekinetic aliens don't want to hurt anyone. The one in the basement squatting down and talking after taking her scissors convinced me of that. It gave strong "hey man, theres no need for that" energy.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Palette Cleanser: watch a nice Disney or Care Bears movie to calm yourself down

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

Palette Cleanser: watch a nice Disney or Care Bears movie to calm yourself down

Fran did have a "watch a family friendly movie" challenge last year.

I've been trying to come up with new stuff that Fran never did but it's tough because he's kinda done it all by this point.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Texas Chainsaw 2 is perhaps the most effective movie I've ever seen at making me immediately hope the main characters die. It's six minutes in and I could not be happier if either of the two teenage dudes are murdered immediately.

[e: loving sick, Tobe Hooper killed them within the next five minutes, I'm sorry for doubting you dad]

lmao

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

alf_pogs posted:

oh drat, sold. lining this up for the weekend

https://youtu.be/4TK4uS9dzdM?si=odkDpY3KtXe3fIJI

God drat that looks good.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

One More Fat Nerd posted:

:hai:

It took me a while to figure out what was going on, like, I didnt really put it together until this morning, but my take is the parasites are basically putting people into "The Matrix, but nice". She rejects that, due to overwhelming guilt, so they build her an irl habitat instead. Its very clear the telekinetic aliens don't want to hurt anyone. The one in the basement squatting down and talking after taking her scissors convinced me of that. It gave strong "hey man, theres no need for that" energy.

On that last note, the part where she tries to sneak up on the alien in her bedroom and it does a no-look flick of the wrist behind it's back to blast her away got a good laugh out of me.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Crescent Wrench posted:

On that last note, the part where she tries to sneak up on the alien in her bedroom and it does a no-look flick of the wrist behind it's back to blast her away got a good laugh out of me.

Yeah that felt like it was just getting annoyed with her, and I laughed too.

The only part I struggle with is when they make that emergency clone of her to house her parasite, and it tries to kill her (poorly). I'm of two minds, maybe it was just trying to momentarily disable her (thus the fairly ineffectual violence) OR the fact they made a copy of her and the first thing it tries to do is kill her indicates more about HER than the aliens.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Fewer than 10 Ratings on Letterboxd feels so obvious you've probably already got it, but to me it's the perfect challenge.

Film that takes place on Halloween (that aren't in the Halloween franchise).

Adapted from something that's not a book (video game, comic book that isn't a graphic novel, viral Twitter thread, pop song, board game, etc).

From a director who only made a single feature film.

Silent feature film.

Horror musical.

Underwater horror.

Horror anthology not in the English language.

Featuring the death of a billionaire.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 25, 2023

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Jumping on the “History of The Occult” train and yeah people should watch that ASAP if they haven’t. Was the first thing I was reminded of when I read the synopsis for Late Night With The Devil.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Watching a SoV flick, Knight Chill. A dnd guy commits suicide and returns as his dnd character to slash his way through the dnd group that bullied him

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I watched Fire in the Sky for the first time last night. A lot of the movie wasn't great, but that alien torture scene? :stonk: Jesus loving Christ, that was bone-chilling. Glad I didn't see this when I was a kid because it definitely would've given me nightmares.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

Watching a SoV flick, Knight Chill. A dnd guy commits suicide and returns as his dnd character to slash his way through the dnd group that bullied him

I hope this is at least half as fun as you're making it sound.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rageaholic posted:

I watched Fire in the Sky for the first time last night. A lot of the movie wasn't great, but that alien torture scene? :stonk: Jesus loving Christ, that was bone-chilling. Glad I didn't see this when I was a kid because it definitely would've given me nightmares.

The movie mostly being mid until that scene imO is a feature not a bug.

It’s a great juke

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I remember the TV ads for the movie made it seem like the entire thing was either that torture scene or the one where the beam of light takes him.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Watch a movie in a language you don’t speak and try to figure out the plot from context.

Watch the first/a non-horror project of a famous horror figure.

I still like the idea of watching something for the poster/box cover.

Did the murder weapon scavenger hunt idea make it in?

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Basebf555 posted:

Just pulling stuff out of my rear end:

Watch something with an IMDb rating lower than 3

Watch something filmed/set where you live (your state for us residents)

Watch a horror movie involving a "game"

Watch something that involves "eating"

Watch something that shares the name of another piece of media (e.g. Dead Space (1991), Night of the Demon/s)

Watch something involving technology

You could also go a little more meta with it if people are cool with it and you're good with the honor system, like "watch something on VHS" or "Watch a movie outside"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Oooo I really like the idea of something with a local setting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Speaking of a Dead Space I really want to see a Dead Space movie now. I’d love to see someone try and out Bottin with the necro morphs

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

Watch a movie in a language you don’t speak and try to figure out the plot from context.

Watch the first/a non-horror project of a famous horror figure.

I still like the idea of watching something for the poster/box cover.

Did the murder weapon scavenger hunt idea make it in?

No murder weapon scavenger hunt. I also didn't use another idea someone PM'd me about for the same reason, which is that I think most people want to be able to plan out what they watch. They don't want to have to watch a bunch of stuff without knowing if it's actually going to complete a challenge. So challenges where it's like "watch a movie where a X happens" basically force people to either watch a bunch of movies in hopes of finding that particular thing or they have to read spoilers to know which movies that thing happens in.

I like that poster/box art idea though, I'm gonna think on that one.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Speaking of a Dead Space I really want to see a Dead Space movie now. I’d love to see someone try and out Bottin with the necro morphs

There was an animated Dead Space movie with Bruce Boxleitner.

It was about what you’d expect when Bruce Boxleitner is your big name.

Edit to respond to above : yeah that makes sense.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I hope this is at least half as fun as you're making it sound.

It's directed by a woman, a rarity for SoV which is cool and you can definitely see that influence in the movies themes. While the plot uses the satanic panic issues of dnd in the 80s/90s, it also has a neat undercurrent of toxic masculinity going on.

The bullied nerd was incredibly creepy and way too into the knight aspect and is very much supposed to be a "nice guy". He commits suicide in part because he gets rejected by the lady he's crushing on.

That said, it's also SoV, so there's a lot of talking with mid to low tier acting, its not very effects heavy, and the killers costume is larper quality. How this impacts your experience depends on you, but I eat this stuff up.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Basebf555 posted:

I'm considering it, only reason I didn't go with it initially is because we've had it in for the past few years and I thought maybe people would be bored with it. But hey, animal attack movies are fun so if it's popular then might as well use it.

Split animal attack movies into two challenges, unusually large version of the animal (Lake Placid, Night of the Lepus) and swarms of tiny and usually harmless animals (Phase IV, Slugs).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xiahou Dun posted:

There was an animated Dead Space movie with Bruce Boxleitner.

It was about what you’d expect when Bruce Boxleitner is your big name.

Edit to respond to above : yeah that makes sense.

Yeah but it’s animated

How can I see good practical effects if it’s all cgi

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

Oooo I really like the idea of something with a local setting.

I hadn't planned on doing the challenge stuff but this could get me to finally check out Nightbreed

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmfao

Tcm2 is a gem. I enjoyed the childs play remake but I loved more than anything that tcm2 is new Chucky’s evil trigger movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I love me some regional horror. I'm really looking forward to seeing Thrust! just to see some folks I know do gory nonsense in the city I live in. Not really as part of the challenges or anything (I have my own lineup of horror movies I watch in October playing 24/7 on my TV at my house all month and most of this week will be dedicated to doing final prep for that) but hey, if that's one of the bonus challenges that'll be something to check off.