Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Lol my phone keeps autocorrecting hof to hot.

wandler20 posted:

His worst season in 15 season was 7-9. That's pretty drat incredible. 8 11+ win seasons. He's a great coach.

Obviously his super bowl winning year is going to be the crown jewel, but his 2021 season being a winning onewas genuinely one of the best coaching jobs I've seen. That saints team had garbage for offensive talent and was injured to the point of being on 3rd stringers. Maybe it's still bias even in the face of 70-20, but I have to believe Denver is just completely bereft of talent and defensive coaching to drop this game with payton at the helm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sean Payton is a tremendous hack and I enjoy seeing him fail

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

https://twitter.com/jake_burns18/status/1706308712447545456
i don't know how you coach out of this

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Even as the trade was happening it seemed like Denver shipping out an absolute fuckton of assets for a QB whose better days are arguably behind him wasn't the best idea and I think that's part of what we're seeing now

We're reaching for the half-opened package of ramen and the mystery unlabeled can in the back of the cupboard

shyduck fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 25, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

really queer Christmas posted:

I have to believe Denver is just completely bereft of talent and defensive coaching to drop this game with payton at the helm.

I mean other than trading Chubb (to the Dolphins!) I don't think they had a major exodus of talent on the defensive side of the ball. The defense went from one of the best in the league to atrocious, and the most significant changes were coaching

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

All that's missing here is a disappointed Homer Simpson

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The Broncos handed out like $250 million in free agent contracts this offseason.

Zach Allen, DE, 3 year $47.75 million
Jarrett Stidham, QB, 2 year $10 million
Ben Powers, OG, 4 year $51.5 million
Alex Singleton, LB, 3 year $18 million
Mike McGlinchey, RT, 5 year $87.5 million
Samaje Perine, RB, 2 year $7.5 million
Chris Manhertz, TE, 2 year $6 million
Frank Clark, DE, 1 year $5.75 million

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/ArtButSports/status/1706338838153474384?t=J1oqV7btuXwEpZj27zycLg&s=19

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Docjowles posted:

I mean other than trading Chubb (to the Dolphins!) I don't think they had a major exodus of talent on the defensive side of the ball. The defense went from one of the best in the league to atrocious, and the most significant changes were coaching

The defense started falling apart at the end of last season. They gave up 51 to the Baker lead, Cooper Kupp-less Rams. 24 points to the Trace McSorely Cardinals. They went from giving up like 17 points a game to about 30 over the last 5 games.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I think we need an oil painting of that like the Washington swinging gate play

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The defense started falling apart at the end of last season. They gave up 51 to the Baker lead, Cooper Kupp-less Rams. 24 points to the Trace McSorely Cardinals. They went from giving up like 17 points a game to about 30 over the last 5 games.

I attributed this to the team completely quitting on Hackett but who knows. Immediately after he was fired they played the Chiefs close and beat the Chargers, forcing multiple turnovers in each

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Docjowles posted:

I attributed this to the team completely quitting on Hackett but who knows. Immediately after he was fired they played the Chiefs close and beat the Chargers, forcing multiple turnovers in each

The Chargers losing games they should win is just expected at this point. They still have up 27 and 28 points in those games which isn’t exactly a stellar defensive performance.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I pretty firmly believe the Broncos defense have been tigers for a long time now, it's just that nobody was concerned about their offense. Everybody played them pretty conservatively, because pretty much the only way the Broncos could win is if you gifted them a bunch of opportunities off of turnovers.

Now the Broncos have some semblance of an offense but a weak defense is getting utterly exposed.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

mcmagic posted:

Nothing he said about Hackett wasn't true.

Doesn’t matter. If you’re going to stand at a podium before a ball has been snapped and poo poo all over the previous coach, you probably don’t want to come out of the gate with a team that looks just as turgid at best and gets almost-historically blown out 3 games in.

Payton’s Bronco’s are a clown show and the absolute funniest outcome - however unlikely - is that the Bears beat them this week.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

are the broncos defense just unfamiliar with how they have to play now? is every defensive look the wrong call? is vance joseph telling players to do things that are objectively wrong. why did they become that bad? that's freagging nuts.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Cavauro posted:

are the broncos defense just unfamiliar with how they have to play now? is every defensive look the wrong call? is vance joseph telling players to do things that are objectively wrong. why did they become that bad? that's freagging nuts.

They have 2 defensive starts who are above average

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007

a neat cape posted:

They have 2 defensive starts who are above average

I was going to argue with this until I thought about it. Simmons is a very good safety, but he was hurt and missed the game. Surtain is a very good CB, but he's just one man. Rest of the secondary is mediocre at best.
The linebackers are all bad. The defensive line is incapable of getting any pressure on a QB in under 5 seconds.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

ChocolatePancake posted:

I was going to argue with this until I thought about it. Simmons is a very good safety, but he was hurt and missed the game. Surtain is a very good CB, but he's just one man. Rest of the secondary is mediocre at best.
The linebackers are all bad. The defensive line is incapable of getting any pressure on a QB in under 5 seconds.

They all played above their talent level last year with Eviro until the season unraveled and Chubb got moved. That defense needs to be rebuilt from the ground up

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

really queer Christmas posted:

Payton had a lot of 7-9 seasons (in a row even) and dropped quite a few stinkers in nola. He's just got a great start and end in nola that covered up all that.

Granted, all his struggles in Denver really make me question why he wanted out of nola. Oh I don't want to deal with a rebuild of finding a hot qb again. Let's go to Denver where they are in need of a rebuild to find a hof qb.

Probably thought there was something with Wilson to salvage.

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007

a neat cape posted:

They all played above their talent level last year with Eviro until the season unraveled and Chubb got moved. That defense needs to be rebuilt from the ground up

And sadly building defensive talent was about the only thing GM Elway was good at. I wouldn't be surprised if this costs Paton his job, and rightfully so. Maybe ownership doubles down and lets Payton choose his own gm.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Bumhead posted:

Doesn’t matter. If you’re going to stand at a podium before a ball has been snapped and poo poo all over the previous coach, you probably don’t want to come out of the gate with a team that looks just as turgid at best and gets almost-historically blown out 3 games in.

Payton’s Bronco’s are a clown show and the absolute funniest outcome - however unlikely - is that the Bears beat them this week.

As was pointed out in another thread - a snap firing from this week isn't likely, despite my initial gut feelings on the matter.

If they lose against the Bears and the Jets, though...

like it really does feel like the potential for a 0-17 run is there, and I'm not sure the team as it exists can survive that. and it doesn't matter how good the offense gets if this is what we can expect from the d this year.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

As was pointed out in another thread - a snap firing from this week isn't likely, despite my initial gut feelings on the matter.

If they lose against the Bears and the Jets, though...

like it really does feel like the potential for a 0-17 run is there, and I'm not sure the team as it exists can survive that. and it doesn't matter how good the offense gets if this is what we can expect from the d this year.

Come on, 0-17 is not going to happen. It’s extremely hard to not win a single game in an NFL season. The Broncos are bad but they aren’t “one of the worst teams of all time” bad.

The 2011 colts were actively tanking and lost a game by 55 points and still didn’t go 0-16.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I am so excited for Bears Broncos. Bad football is my drug.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Come on, 0-17 is not going to happen. It’s extremely hard to not win a single game in an NFL season. The Broncos are bad but they aren’t “one of the worst teams of all time” bad.

The 2011 colts were actively tanking and lost a game by 55 points and still didn’t go 0-16.

Denver/Minnesota is gonna be fun

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

a neat cape posted:

Denver/Minnesota is gonna be fun

A stopped force versus a moving object.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Broncos-Bears needs to be flexed into Monday night.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
SI graded the Broncos individual performances and, oof, this was bad.

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/broncos-player-grades-dolphins-blowout-loss

Spoiler alert ... the secondary and ILBs once Josey Jewell was knocked out were terrible (interestingly, he doesn't list a grade for Kareem Jackson).

Delarrin Turner-Yell (S): 18.5 (50 is neutral)
Alex Singleton (ILB): 19.7
Essang Basey (CB): 20.1
Drew Sanders (ILB): 27.3
Patrick Surtain II (CB): 37.2

The grader also said what I was thinking ... Russell Wilson produced ... and a lot more than he did last year ... but he made a ton of read and accuracy errors and left a lot of yards on the table, and unnecessarily was running from pressure that wasn't accounted for in blocking calls.

By season's end, at least one of Vance Joseph or George Paton will be gone. It just depends on if player talent is blamed more than scheme and coaching to justify sparing one of them.

Ginger Beer Belly fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 26, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

They're paying Payton 18 million a year and he's owed like 85 million still. He's not going anywhere unless the owners are gonna start leaking more emails.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

They're paying Payton 18 million a year and he's owed like 85 million still. He's not going anywhere unless the owners are gonna start leaking more emails.

Payton is safe but Paton isn’t.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I don't think Walmart cares

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

This is like 2-3 days of Walmart profits.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol

https://twitter.com/CannataPFN/status/1706103658557927708?s=20

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The Broncos pretty easily could have gotten rid of Paton last off-season if they cared to. I would guess his security is pretty closely tied to Payton at this point. The only realistic scenario I see Vance Joseph not getting canned at the end of the season is if someone else throws up a 60 spot on the Broncos and they have to fire him midseason.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Didn’t Payton almost hire Rex and went the boring route with Vance instead?

What I’m saying is that the NFL is better with Rex in the league.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Didn’t Payton almost hire Rex and went the boring route with Vance instead?

What I’m saying is that the NFL is better with Rex in the league.

There is no way a Rex defense gives up 70 points to anyone.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Simplex posted:

I pretty firmly believe the Broncos defense have been tigers for a long time now, it's just that nobody was concerned about their offense. Everybody played them pretty conservatively, because pretty much the only way the Broncos could win is if you gifted them a bunch of opportunities off of turnovers.

Now the Broncos have some semblance of an offense but a weak defense is getting utterly exposed.
Are we sure about that? They've played 2 garbage teams so far and 3 quarters of garbage time against Miami.

Not sold that the Offense is functional.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Can't believe I'm gonna defend Russ, but Russell Wilson wasn't the reason they gave up 70 points, lol. He actually had a decent game! His one INT was a tip, and his receivers did him no favors.

That said, my working theory is the game evolved while Payton was being a hack analyst and he didn't keep up.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

shyduck posted:

We're reaching for the half-opened package of ramen and the mystery unlabeled can in the back of the cupboard

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Can't believe I'm gonna defend Russ, but Russell Wilson wasn't the reason they gave up 70 points, lol. He actually had a decent game! His one INT was a tip, and his receivers did him no favors.

That said, my working theory is the game evolved while Payton was being a hack analyst and he didn't keep up.

He was out of coaching for one year, I don’t think this is a “game passed him by” situation, or at least not in the year he was away. If it passed him by it was a while ago and it just wasn’t obvious because Brees was so good at running his offense and once Brees was gone he still had a roster of hand picked players who knew what he wanted.

But I think in this case it’s just that Denver’s offensive talent isn’t great and they haven’t had good offensive coaching in almost a decade so it’s going to be an uphill battle to get them functional on that side of the ball.

As far as the defense goes, that’s clearly never been Payton’s strong suit. He had a bunch of really bad defenses before he found Allen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

LiquidFriend posted:

Are we sure about that? They've played 2 garbage teams so far and 3 quarters of garbage time against Miami.

Not sold that the Offense is functional.

I'm not sold that they are any good, but they at least look acceptably mediocre, rather than hapless.