Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i am currently experiencing mild tinnitus because i sleep with ear plugs every night and occasionally some wax gets stuck/impacted and i have to use some drops to clean it out over a few days

i cannot imagine living permanently like this. i just called out from the rest of the day at work because i cannot concentrate, and this is super mild

my wife went to high school with a girl whose dad walked in front of a train when she was 16 because he suffered from tinnitus for most of his adult life. cannot recommend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Mr. Pickles posted:

Sleep is boring too, amirite

Unironically yes. Also I saw Dio live and I am rubbing it in your face, he was great.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Touring as a youngster, I never wore earplugs, and now I have constant ringing.

It sucks.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Just another teenage/early twenties dumbass here with tinnitus. It loving sucks :(

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

The stoner stuff live does not click for me.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I love stoner stuff but live I need it to be powerful enough to have a physical impact, or something that makes it fun to watch. I listen to stonery stuff more than death metal but death metal is on average more fun to see live I’d say.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

ThePopeOfFun posted:

It doesn't click for me recorded, either

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Late 30s here, tinnitus since around my early thirties from what I can remember - came on gradually after years of concerts, power tools, small gas engines, etc. without hearing protection.

Wear your plugs folks.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Unironically yes. Also I saw Dio live and I am rubbing it in your face, he was great.

Yes, Dio was the best :'(

Most my friends saw him once Solo or even twice with Heaven and Hell I just happened to miss both chances.

I missed Motorhead too, twice, which wouldn't bother me as much if I didn't know they played Going to Brazil the second time. That's not something you miss.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

ThePopeOfFun posted:

but have you tried it.. on weed?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Mr. Pickles posted:

Most my friends saw him once Solo or even twice with Heaven and Hell I just happened to miss both chances.

I missed Motorhead too, twice, which wouldn't bother me as much if I didn't know they played Going to Brazil the second time. That's not something you miss.

I saw them back in '03. Motorhead opened, then Dio, then Maiden. It was a great time all around, but Dio absolutely stole the show. Dude's pipes were just insane.

Live music talk: First Fragment just announced that they're playing a little hole-in-the wall in Philly in November, so I'm super loving stoked about that. Gonna be my first metal show in years.

Currently debating whether or not to check out Ne Obliviscaris/Beyond Creation/The Omnific in a couple weeks. The Omnific fucks super hard, but BC never quite clicked for me (even back when Forest was on bass) and my experiences with NE were pretty similar.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I've never had constant ringing but now that I'm in my forties I'm constantly having to tell people to speak up because I can't hear them. It might be more of an age thing though... although I know two decades of concerts didn't help. I passed my last hearing exam though I'm not sure how.

I have earplugs that I bring these days, though I don't always use them. I also tend to stay towards the back of the venue though.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Mr. Pickles posted:

Dio was the nicest guy I've met in metal. Dude will always own.

As for bands I missed thankfully my list is pretty short now because oof I'm getting too old for concerts (sup tinnutis for a week after a show crew).

Savatage, Bruce Dickinson solo. That's all I have left.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I'm still mad I missed Woods of Ypres like a month before dude died

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I worked with one of Dio’s relatives. She didn’t know him well at all growing up, I think his rock lifestyle was too much for the family. Supposedly he got drunk and peed on their couch while passed out and they got sick of his poo poo. I’m guessing that was a long time ago and they should have given him more of a break on that.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

stab posted:

Dio was the nicest guy I've met in metal.
King Diamond is nice as hell.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CornHolio posted:

I've never had constant ringing but now that I'm in my forties I'm constantly having to tell people to speak up because I can't hear them. It might be more of an age thing though... although I know two decades of concerts didn't help. I passed my last hearing exam though I'm not sure how.

I have earplugs that I bring these days, though I don't always use them. I also tend to stay towards the back of the venue though.

There's a fun thing with speech perception where audiologists only really check to like 12 kHz and the spectral content of speech is around 1-6 kHz. However, high frequency hearing loss will affect the ability to understand speech in noisy environments, and hearing aids don't help. We're currently trying to find ways to help and a lot of research is being done on it (like me)

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Live music talk: First Fragment just announced that they're playing a little hole-in-the wall in Philly in November, so I'm super loving stoked about that. Gonna be my first metal show in years.

Currently debating whether or not to check out Ne Obliviscaris/Beyond Creation/The Omnific in a couple weeks. The Omnific fucks super hard, but BC never quite clicked for me (even back when Forest was on bass) and my experiences with NE were pretty similar.
Lots of good shows coming up in Philly, that First Fragment show is the same day as Cattle Decapitation/Immolation/Sanguisugabogg/Castrator at Brooklyn Bowl. I'll probably be at that Ne Obliviscaris show, I've always wanted to see how they are live.

These are all the other Philly shows coming up I've saved on my calendar:

Sep 30 - Embludgeonment/Distant Dominion/Putrascension/Nixil (at Kung Fu Necktie)
Oct 10 - Wolves in the Throne Room/Blackbraid/Gaerea/Hoaxed (at Underground Arts)
Oct 19 - Dying Fetus/The Acacia Strain/Despised Icon/Creeping Death/Chamber (at Brooklyn Bowl)
Oct 19 - Messa/Maggot Heart (at Kung Fu Necktie)
Oct 21 - Undergang/Pissgrave/Miasmatic Necrosis (at Johnny Brenda's)
Oct 23 - Exciter/Tower (at Kung Fu Necktie)
Oct 26 - Full of Hell/END/Inter Arma/Wake (at Underground Arts)
Nov 7 - Frozen Soul/200 Stab Wounds/Judiciary/Tribal Gaze (at Underground Arts)
Nov 9 - Bongzilla (at Kung Fu Necktie)
Nov 12 - Krieg/Bastard Cross/Cathedrals in the Night (at Kung Fu Necktie)
Nov 22 - Ulcerate/ALTARS (at Warehouse on Watts)
Dec 1 - Gravesend/Kommand/Innumerable Forms (at Kung Fu Necktie)

Varg fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 26, 2023

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I really hope Alkaloid does a tour or something. I know it's basically a studio project, but I would love to see them live. Their albums are all great and Numen is probably my favorite record of the three they've released.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

It doesn't click for me recorded, either

Same. I’ve always heard “you have to see it live.” Not my thing.

Varg posted:

but have you tried it.. on weed?

It doesn’t help. Call of the Wretched Sea however, is incredible.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So something else about that Megadeth show on Saturday, it was great and fun but it was also kind of depressing. I first saw them in 2001 within a week or two of this being filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXpbfFmH3Zs

This is the same song on Saturday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrhFhollNNE

The years have not been kind to Dave.

I mean it was better than no Megadeth, but I'm glad I got to see them back when they were in better shape. I know one video has production and one does not, but the first video is pretty representative of what I remember.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 26, 2023

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I saw Megadeth only once, in 1993, they opened for Metallica that show. They were absolutely fantastic. This, Saturday's clip is ... I suppose to be expected. People get old. And the cancer definitely didn't help. But that sound engineer surely could have bumped up the mic volume a bit.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Varg posted:

Lots of good shows coming up in Philly, that First Fragment show is the same day as Cattle Decapitation/Immolation/Sanguisugabogg/Castrator at Brooklyn Bowl. I'll probably be at that Ne Obliviscaris show, I've always wanted to see how they are live.

These are all the other Philly shows coming up I've saved on my calendar:

Sep 30 - Embludgeonment/Distant Dominion/Putrascension/Nixil (at Kung Fu Necktie)
Oct 10 - Wolves in the Throne Room/Blackbraid/Gaerea/Hoaxed (at Underground Arts)
Oct 19 - Dying Fetus/The Acacia Strain/Despised Icon/Creeping Death/Chamber (at Brooklyn Bowl)
Oct 19 - Messa/Maggot Heart (at Kung Fu Necktie)
Oct 21 - Undergang/Pissgrave/Miasmatic Necrosis (at Johnny Brenda's)
Oct 23 - Exciter/Tower (at Kung Fu Necktie)
Oct 26 - Full of Hell/END/Inter Arma/Wake (at Underground Arts)
Nov 7 - Frozen Soul/200 Stab Wounds/Judiciary/Tribal Gaze (at Underground Arts)
Nov 9 - Bongzilla (at Kung Fu Necktie)
Nov 12 - Krieg/Bastard Cross/Cathedrals in the Night (at Kung Fu Necktie)
Nov 22 - Ulcerate/ALTARS (at Warehouse on Watts)
Dec 1 - Gravesend/Kommand/Innumerable Forms (at Kung Fu Necktie)

Oh hell yeah I live in Philly and didn't know about most of these

Edit-- gently caress why can't that WitTR/Black raid show be on a weekend

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 26, 2023

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Killingyouguy! posted:

I'm still mad I missed Woods of Ypres like a month before dude died

I was pissed after discovering them that David Gold died and there was nothing else after Woods 5.

Woods 5 is so loving good.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Same. I’ve always heard “you have to see it live.” Not my thing.

It doesn’t help. Call of the Wretched Sea however, is incredible.

I caught Ahab live back when that was the only album they had out. Tiny venue in Norway, no frills, just intensity. Was crushed.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I went to that venue for the first time and saw Kayo Dot recently. It was good, sound was good, even to my earplugged hearing loss ears. It's pretty tiny and long, like a row house. The bar has "beer and a tiny shot in a tiny plastic cup" deals if you drink. Nice bartenders.

Philly seems to get lots of good shows, I kinda wanna move there.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Varg posted:

show list

Ugh, I'm only a few hours north and it feels like we never get poo poo. Having kids and a single car makes it hard to travel for stuff too. I really have to want to force myself into awkward 6h round trip drives to come back to kids in the morning, like getting Haken off the bucket list this upcoming March. For local stuff soon (Albany & definitely not just metal), I'm picking up tickets for:

Terror
PeelingFlesh (and skipping Suicide Silence/Chelsea Grin headliners, probably)
One Step Closer/Arm's Length
Dropdead/Wet Specimens
??

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

my bony fealty posted:

I went to that venue for the first time and saw Kayo Dot recently. It was good, sound was good, even to my earplugged hearing loss ears. It's pretty tiny and long, like a row house. The bar has "beer and a tiny shot in a tiny plastic cup" deals if you drink. Nice bartenders.

Philly venues rule - Kung Fu Necktie is tiny and has $5 tallboy Tecate with a shot of rail tequila. Saw Obituary there and got demolished.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

new hexvessel good

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Man, I really wish that Ulcerate/Altars tour was coming to Texas.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...
I did see High on Fire open for Meshuggah a few years back. The people I was with were there to see HoF and weren't thrilled about how they sounded, but Meshuggah's sound was normal, so I had a good time.

With the exception of Monolord, Stoner stuff has never done much for me, and Matt Pike is disturbingly sweaty, which definitely didn't help...

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

They get so many good shows and there are so many awesome venues. World Cafe Live is dope if you want to sit and chill and generally be an old fart, Johnny Brenda's has the awesome two-floor setup, and there's always something happening at First Uni or Kung-fu Necktie. Plus every major arena tour stops there. I lived there for five years, the music scene was awesome.

I'm actually driving up from Baltimore because we don't get any of the good East Coast tours here.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The venues are smaller than NYC too, I should make the trip more often.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's also Theatre of Living Arts on South Street. They don't do a lot of metal shows but it's a good place to see up and coming acts and occasionally you can catch a name band there.

And honestly, if you're into any sort of counterculture, that part of South Street is worth a visit at least once.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

joylessdivision posted:

I was pissed after discovering them that David Gold died and there was nothing else after Woods 5.

i got really into woods 4 back in the day, by the time you read this has been stuck in my head for over a decade. he was a killer songwriter.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

ultrafilter posted:

There's also Theatre of Living Arts on South Street. They don't do a lot of metal shows but it's a good place to see up and coming acts and occasionally you can catch a name band there.

And honestly, if you're into any sort of counterculture, that part of South Street is worth a visit at least once.

I'm not a big fan of TLA mostly because it's the most annoying place to drive to and get parking if you're not a local, which I'm not.. I gotta make a 1.5 hour trip to get there. Also the former Electric Factory now known as Franklin Music Hall isn't fun to get in and out of either.. you better get there well before doors open to secure a parking spot. But lol south street, it can get insane at night there, the same type of thing in Baltimore on Baltimore Street, road closed and it's like a big block party. Don't bother with the cheesesteak place next to TLA though, it's always crowded and not that good. Do go check out the German beer hall Brauhaus Schmitz on South Street.

I like going to Underground Arts, Kung Fu Necktie, Union Transfer, The Fillmore/Foundry, and Johnny Brenda's (and RIP Voltage Lounge). I've never been to First Unitarian Church also because that's a more difficult place to get to for me, but I hope to some day cause it looks very cool.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

World Cafe Live is dope
I've only been there once to see This Will Destroy You, but it was a nice setup and sounded great.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Southern Cassowary posted:

i got really into woods 4 back in the day, by the time you read this has been stuck in my head for over a decade. he was a killer songwriter.

Woods 4 was essentially the album that got me through the break up of a very long relationship.

I really wish "You were the light" from the Home single had made it onto Woods 4 but its an amazing album as is.

I really like "Pursuit of the Sun" too, not as hot on all of Woods III

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Visions of Valerie posted:

I did see High on Fire open for Meshuggah a few years back. The people I was with were there to see HoF and weren't thrilled about how they sounded, but Meshuggah's sound was normal, so I had a good time.

With the exception of Monolord, Stoner stuff has never done much for me, and Matt Pike is disturbingly sweaty, which definitely didn't help...

HoF sound is crusty as gently caress, and apparently its on purpose. Pike goes out of his way to sound like a garage band but he does it with finesse, and he's got tons of skill to back it up. I like HoF performances a lot

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

joylessdivision posted:

Woods 4 was essentially the album that got me through the break up of a very long relationship.

I really wish "You were the light" from the Home single had made it onto Woods 4 but its an amazing album as is.

I really like "Pursuit of the Sun" too, not as hot on all of Woods III

As an Ontario resident I am contractually obligated to have a huge soft spot in my heart for Your Ontario Town is a Burial Ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

joylessdivision posted:

Same, man. I discovered them right when Woods 5 came out. Dude singing about and basically channeling the voice of another dead singer, on an album full of songs about death, while already also being dead. gently caress.