Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I haven't seen The Manitou but I've read the book and it's trash on top of being pretty racist.

I haven't read the book but I've seen the movie, and that sounds about right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I have to be the one outlier who calls Bliss absolute tripe. I watched it earlier this year and just really loving hated it. Incredibly predictable and an entire cast of grating idiots, and not even in a fun way.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's just a great title. great record too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyrxi4FPdOg

opens with jeff combs using a necronomicon so it knows what i wanted to see!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

World’s Fair was quite ftw for me but it helps if you’re a femme or Cancerian loner type millennial or under with a habit of falling down uncomfortable Internet rabbit holes. which…actually probably applies to a large number of posters in this thread so there’s gotta be some other X factor that makes me really dig it

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
We're All Going To The World's Fair is spectacular.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I have to be the one outlier who calls Bliss absolute tripe. I watched it earlier this year and just really loving hated it. Incredibly predictable and an entire cast of grating idiots, and not even in a fun way.

I feel so loving seen.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Yeah World’s Fair was in my top 5 favorite movies of last year, not just horror but any genre. I get why it’s divisive though.

I also love Bliss, it checks almost every box on the list of “poo poo I love in horror movies”. Some of the acting isn’t great but I can forgive that when everything else is so rad.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
We’re All Going to the World’s Fair is a movie I think can simply roll right off you if you don't relate to the things it has to say about how a certain age/generation interacts with the internet. Not to say that you'll love it if you're in that demographic or hate it if you're not, but it's definitely a commonality I see in a lot of reviews when people don't get the fuss.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

World’s Fair was quite ftw for me but it helps if you’re a femme or Cancerian loner type millennial or under with a habit of falling down uncomfortable Internet rabbit holes. which…actually probably applies to a large number of posters in this thread so there’s gotta be some other X factor that makes me really dig it

There's definitely an age factor with that one. The publicly available internet wasn't a thing until my 20s and even then it wasn't like it is now so what clicks hard for someone younger with that film, doesn't to me.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

We're All Going To The World's Fair is spectacular.

:agreed:

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

I liked We're All Going to the World's Fair, but I liked it a lot more before I realized it was just about being sad on the internet.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

my partner and I are trying to watch 31 horror movies that neither of us has seen before, which is a bit of a challenge since we're both big horror buffs but i somehow have a list of like 65 movies ready to go already.

some off the list that I'm particularly interested in are The Video Dead (1987), Blades (1989), Monster From the Ocean Floor (1954), Cellar Dweller (1988), Tumbbad (2018), Curfew (1989) and The Manitou (1978). Feel free to peep the list and tell me what else is good.

Death Spa, The Video Dead, Mirror Mirror and The Flesh Eaters are all pretty good - the first two are enjoyable trash, The Flesh Eaters is surprisingly gory for a film of its time, and Mirror Mirror is a solid "teenage girls are hell" flick.

The Boogens has cute monsters but it's pretty dull. It was one of those films I watched because the commercials terrified me as a child.

Demon Seed is not a bad movie and has some creepy moments, but when I watched it on Tubi, the app was recommending stuff like Inseminoid and Galaxy of Terror as related watches, so yeah (not nearly as exploitative as either of those, but you get the gist). It definitely can get uncomfortable.

Something Wicked This Way Comes really impressed me - some great performances from Jason Robards and Jonathan Pryce, very atmospheric and moody, surprisingly dark and grim for a Disney-produced film.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Movies about killer butts

Same director as Machine Girl.

e: Actually, I guess Shyness Machine Girl would count too.

Sono posted:

Instead, I snagged the last copy of one of them off Amazon France, and

How the gently caress does this company make any money? (That's about $0.60 shipping from France, to the US, in a week.)

Got my package, and:

That would seem to be 27 euros worth of stamps on a 5 euro DVD that I paid 0.51 euros shipping on. Also, what is a 2,50+0,20 stamp and why is it not 2,70?

Sono fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 26, 2023

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

World's Fair was a decent movie with an outrageously good soundtrack

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
EDIT: Wrong thread. Pretend I said something spooky.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Crescent Wrench posted:

EDIT: Wrong thread. Pretend I said something spooky.

ahh!

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
If you have a Shudder account and you haven't see the Terror, get on that. One of the best series in the last decade. British maritime drama meets horror and gritty realism.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

HK5000 posted:

If you have a Shudder account and you haven't see the Terror, get on that. One of the best series in the last decade. British maritime drama meets horror and gritty realism.

drat it I need to see this. Didn't know it was on Shudder. I'mma have to watch it but it won't count for the Oct challenge so I'll have to wait.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hollismason posted:

drat it I need to see this. Didn't know it was on Shudder. I'mma have to watch it but it won't count for the Oct challenge so I'll have to wait.

O no this is the perfect time. You need some horror methadone to get you through the week and it’s relatively bite-sized. Season 1 is a self-contained story so it’s basically a mini-series.

And it’s a horror series where the giant, murderous, demonic(??) polar bear is surprisingly low on the tier-list of scary things. Pretty much everything bad that can happen, happens. Great acting too. The cast is resplendent with British character actors.

I will never not plug The Terror.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Xiahou Dun posted:

O no this is the perfect time. You need some horror methadone to get you through the week and it’s relatively bite-sized. Season 1 is a self-contained story so it’s basically a mini-series.

And it’s a horror series where the giant, murderous, demonic(??) polar bear is surprisingly low on the tier-list of scary things. Pretty much everything bad that can happen, happens. Great acting too. The cast is resplendent with British character actors.

I will never not plug The Terror.

I only got to make it 5 more days then I can binge on Sunday.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

chucking in another voice of hell yeah The Terror.

seriously every actor in it crushes, the tone is fantastic, absolutely unreal soundtrack as well. also the rare adaptation that's probably better than the book.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

All polar bears are demonic.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah the first season of The Terror is great

Thanks to everyone who recommended History of the Occult. This sort of like, Lovecraft meets the Mothers of the Disappeared conceit is perfect for political commentary on the history of imperialism in South America and it just works well as a horror film. The Tubi subs aren't too great unfortunately but they did the job mostly.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Felt pretty much the same. Gaspar NO 👎

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

alf_pogs posted:

chucking in another voice of hell yeah The Terror.

seriously every actor in it crushes, the tone is fantastic, absolutely unreal soundtrack as well. also the rare adaptation that's probably better than the book.

The dude who plays Mr Goodsir was in The Bodyguard and he’s completely unrecognizable without that god drat hobbit beard. Actually quite handsome.

I’ll also agree that it’s probably better than the book. Even though I quite liked the book, the show really brings it to life.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

this interview is nearly two years old and you guys probably discussed it then but it’s about the idea the guys who wrote the Hellraiser reboot had for a Halloween reboot and wtf I want to see that now https://bloody-disgusting.com/exclu...-phantom-limbs/

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

The dude who plays Mr Goodsir was in The Bodyguard and he’s completely unrecognizable without that god drat hobbit beard. Actually quite handsome.

I’ll also agree that it’s probably better than the book. Even though I quite liked the book, the show really brings it to life.

Paul Ready is great! he's fantastic as an oddball hitman in the BBC series 'Utopia'. the conspiracy theory plot components of it haven't aged great, but the visuals and music are unreal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuHq9h66kJs

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Alert! :siren: Freeway (1996) holds the gently caress up, absolutely stellar and the highlight roles of Keifer and Reese's careers. It's far more thriller than horror but it can get dark as all gently caress and there's so much to love. Highest possible recommendation if you want something not-quite-horror before full spooktober begins.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

my partner and I are trying to watch 31 horror movies that neither of us has seen before, which is a bit of a challenge since we're both big horror buffs but i somehow have a list of like 65 movies ready to go already.

some off the list that I'm particularly interested in are The Video Dead (1987), Blades (1989), Monster From the Ocean Floor (1954), Cellar Dweller (1988), Tumbbad (2018), Curfew (1989) and The Manitou (1978). Feel free to peep the list and tell me what else is good.

Watched Blades recently, and it kind of blew me away. My expectations for a killer lawnmower movie were pretty low, but the filmmakers stuck to their guns on making it follow the Jaws blueprints, and made it work very well.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

Paul Ready is great! he's fantastic as an oddball hitman in the BBC series 'Utopia'. the conspiracy theory plot components of it haven't aged great, but the visuals and music are unreal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuHq9h66kJs

This is new to me an completely up my street. Old dumb conspiracy stuff that has aged poorly is a personal favorite ; I listen to Knowledge Fight.

Thanks a mill.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

perfect tagline and blurb. no notes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I love that there's no "Now they've come back to hunt" second part. They're just hanging out on the moon.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

feedmyleg posted:

I love that there's no "Now they've come back to hunt" second part. They're just hanging out on the moon.

It's a documentary

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I think you mean sharkumentary

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Sharkuterie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shrecknet posted:

perfect tagline and blurb. no notes

Zack Snyder is going too far

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Watch something filmed/set where you live (your state for us residents)

This was one of the challenges a few years ago - I think the exact rule was "watch a movie made within 50 miles of your home". How I found a horror movie made in Northeast Scotland I'll never know, but I don't think I could do it again.

My suggestion would be Around The World In 80 Minutes: watch a movie made 12 timezones away from where you live.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
History of the Occult was a really compelling watch - thanks for the recommendation, thread! I'm pretty sensitive to movie runtimes these days (starting to prefer short films) but I could have watched a LOT more of the movie. It was a cool mystery that never really totally unraveled with some really fantastic imagery. The subs on the Tubi version are not the best I've seen (lots of grammatical issues) but get the job done.

I think it's a movie I'll purchase if possible and revisit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The bad news: my Blu of Tod Browning's The Show won't be here until December.

The good news: they're selling off the last copies of Dura Lex and that will be here for October.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Slotherhouse was so close to being what it wanted to be. I had fun, and there's a very loving funny death about three quarters of the way in, but it's not quite there.

I also spotted two HUGE missed opportunities: a) at one point it threatens to turn into Satans vs Sloths, but this never actually eventuates, and b) the film's title is stylized so it looks like it's "Slotherhouse III", and it made me realise how much better that gag would be.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Crescent Wrench posted:

We’re All Going to the World’s Fair is a movie I think can simply roll right off you if you don't relate to the things it has to say about how a certain age/generation interacts with the internet. Not to say that you'll love it if you're in that demographic or hate it if you're not, but it's definitely a commonality I see in a lot of reviews when people don't get the fuss.

Yeah this was me. I watched it waiting for more to happen then it ended. Thinking on it, I respect it for what it wanted yo do, but yeah not sure I really related.