Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Oracle posted:

it does just not all the time and they want to figure out what combination of severity, comorbidities, vaccination status, genetics, where infection set up shop, chronic infection vs post-infection damage etc.

chances are it’s multiple choice and much like cancer there is not going to be one ‘ah hah!’ moment that cracks the case.

presumably in order to most effectively blame longhaulers for their illness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bedpan posted:

trust the science

after somebody equated The Science to Jayzuss in this thread yesterday, i won't be able to hear this without perceiving The Science pundits as televangelist preachers

Hungry Squirrel posted:

But, I spent a decade where, every six months, I had severe anxiety about my kid getting long term disabling conditions due to illnesses that could be prevented if people just kept their kids home when sick. I'm kind of used to this particular brand of fear.

ok but get this: when was the last time you heard of getting the beetis from long strep. no more donuts, no more lucky charms cereal. a bar of chocolate lasts you a week because if you ate it faster than that, you'd have a hyperglycemic episode.

and the insulin. o baby i hope you don't have a phobia of hypodermic needles

Fur20 has issued a correction as of 20:31 on Sep 25, 2023

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Safeway,Haggen, Albertsons stores in Snohomish County, WA area have tons of appointments (like appointments today and the rest of the week) for adults. Some locations have both Pfizer and Moderna. Hope that helps someone.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Fur20 posted:

when was the last time you heard of getting the beetis from long strep.

I don't mean it's the same; I'm sorry if it came off that way. Long COVID is nasty. There are some very different, and much worse, ramifications than for some other post-viral syndromes.

My point - and it might not be good, I'm just another goon and not any kind of brilliant mind - is twofold: First, the medical community has known since forever that viruses can have lingering symptoms and conditions, and you'd think we'd have tried to do something about that by now; and second, that while the specific negative outcomes of long COVID can be significantly worse than those of other post-viral conditions, being in a position of fearing for your kid's long term ability to live a productive life every time they sniffle is also not a super new thing to everyone.

Edit because I used the wrong word.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oracle posted:

it does just not all the time and they want to figure out what combination of severity, comorbidities, vaccination status, genetics, where infection set up shop, chronic infection vs post-infection damage etc.

chances are it’s multiple choice and much like cancer there is not going to be one ‘ah hah!’ moment that cracks the case.

"anything that could indicate susceptibility to epithelial damage" which is like ten thousand things

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Testvan posted:

get those free 4 expired tests* https://special.usps.com/testkits

*2 tests

4 tests

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it could be 2, 4 or 8. no one knows !!!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Crazyweasel posted:

Was able to get a late day CVS appointment for Pfizer. I’ll take it. I think by happenstance I’m full Pfizer anyways.

Is there a waiting period between vaccine and Paxlovid if I do get COVID? I’m not under the illusion the juice will get me sterilizing immunity from household transmission, just increase my odds…

There isn't any waiting period at all. If you ever tested positive, get your paxlovid right away no matter how soon you had your shot. You don't want the virus to replicate itself uncontrolled in any situation

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Oracle posted:

yeah I was just being facetious about the headline, it was a goofy way of phrasing it

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

tangy yet delightful posted:

Q: What to do if [BLANK]?

A: Get hosed.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
eyyyyyy

https://twitter.com/brownecfm/status/1706320126843203758?s=46

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s ok if their brain is foggy they can just go by instruments

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Working on how to rebrand the juice and antivirals to get people to take them. What if we said Paxlovid was actually tiny M-16s for your body's troops (white blood cells. Maybe emphasize the "white" part for certain demographics) to fight off the evil COVID (the C stands for communism)?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

how is there not more Paxlovid dick-riding

also why is the cycle not 10 days instead of 5 because now I'm scared of what happens on Thursday

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Yeah, this is one of the bigger threats from this thing on a systemic level when it gets loose in groups of vital skilled labour that are small in number and have long replacement times.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yeah like teachers ?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/luckytran/status/1706363876738994503?s=46

Canada made the mistake of not recalibrating their Covid severity meters

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Cabbages and Kings posted:

look, phenazepam is more fun than ivermectin, especially for people observing, but we should avoid hocking TCC snake oil in this thread

true, no one ever bought a grand piano for their 5th floor walkup or gotten married while blacked out on ivermectin sadly

all I did on DA JOOSE was have finally the courage to try out for a college club sports team and then have 0 coordination cause I was joosed the gently caress up and I just ran away after skinning my knee

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

euphronius posted:

yeah like teachers ?

hahahaha AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Only one pediatrics provider has been forthcoming with info on the pediatric vax rollout in Washington state: Intergalatic Pediatrics. I just received this from them:

quote:

Hello from Intergalactic Pediatrics!
Your kiddo/s are scheduled with us for the updated covid vaccine soon. Unfortunately, ordering has not been available through the Washington State DOH and according to them, is not available for anyone at the moment. The CDC informed them a few weeks ago that Moderna for under 12 years old would not be available right away, but would be "soon". Our best guess to a timeline, because they've not given us an estimate to when we will be able to get them, is by the end of September. I am going to go ahead and cancel the appointment and have you reschedule for after 9/29.
We will also keep the blog updated. https://intergalacticpediatrics.com/blogupdates/2023/9/1/fall-2023-seasonal-vaccine-offerings

"Soon"

gently caress you WA DoH, gently caress you CDC, gently caress you Moderna, gently caress you FDA

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
What's the earliest I could begin surveillance testing with a home LAMP after an exposure?

That is, is there any point to testing 2 days after being around people for spreadsheet avoidance activity? Or is that too soon for there to be sufficient RNA?

Raskolnikov2089 has issued a correction as of 21:40 on Sep 25, 2023

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

(I know I shouldn't actually be surprised, but) I'm in amazement at what a poo poo show this year's booster rollout is - especially the pediatric vaccines. Just a completely botched rollout 3 years into Covid vaccines. Incredible

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Fireside Nut posted:

(I know I shouldn't actually be surprised, but) I'm in amazement at what a poo poo show this year's booster rollout is - especially the pediatric vaccines. Just a completely botched rollout 3 years into Covid vaccines. Incredible

we didn’t even know we were going to be allowed to get a booster 2 weeks ago. just incompetence at every possible place

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Tbf, no one could have predicted that the antiviral premised on hypermutating SARS-CoV-2 could result in viable mutations.
"A molnupiravir-associated mutational signature in global SARS-CoV-2 genomes"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-06649-6 posted:

Abstract
Molnupiravir, an antiviral medication that has been widely used against SARS-CoV-2, acts by inducing mutations in the virus genome during replication. Most random mutations are likely to be deleterious to the virus, and many will be lethal, and so molnupiravir-induced elevated mutation rates reduce viral load1,2. However, if some patients treated with molnupiravir do not fully clear SARS-CoV-2 infections, there could be the potential for onward transmission of molnupiravir-mutated viruses. Here we show that SARS-CoV-2 sequencing databases contain extensive evidence of molnupiravir mutagenesis. Using a systematic approach, we find that a specific class of long phylogenetic branches, distinguished by a high proportion of G-to-A and C-to-T mutations, appear almost exclusively in sequences from 2022, after the introduction of molnupiravir treatment, and in countries and age-groups with widespread usage of the drug. We identify a mutational spectrum, with preferred nucleotide contexts, from viruses in patients known to have been treated with molnupiravir and show that its signature matches that seen in these long branches, in some cases with onwards transmission of molnupiravir-derived lineages. Finally, we analyse treatment records to confirm a direct association between these high G-to-A branches and the use of molnupiravir.

Article on the matter:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/25/use-of-antiviral-molnupiravir-evolution-covid-virus-mutations posted:

Use of antiviral may be fuelling evolution of Covid, scientists say
Study finds evidence virus can survive treatment with molnupiravir, leading to mutated versions that sometimes spread

An antiviral drug used to treat patients with Covid-19 may be causing mutations in the virus and fuelling the evolution of new variants, scientists have said.

Molnupiravir, which is also sold under the brand name Lagevrio, is designed to mutate coronavirus to destruction, but researchers found evidence that the virus can sometimes survive the treatment, leading to mutated versions that occasionally spread to other people.

There is no evidence molnupiravir has produced more dangerous variants of Covid, but scientists said the mutations increased the genetic diversity of the virus in the wild and provided more options for future evolution.

“People have some concerns about molnupiravir and to some sense this makes those more concrete,” said Dr Theo Sanderson, the lead author on the study and a postdoctoral researcher at the Francis Crick Institute in London. “We know these viruses can still be alive following a significant number of mutations and they can still be transmissible in some cases.”

The findings are important for continuing assessments of the risks and benefits of molnupiravir and other drugs in development that work in a similar way, the researchers say.

Writing in the journal Nature, the scientists describe numerous strands of evidence that suggest molnupiravir can occasionally produce highly mutated but viable forms of the Covid virus. The first sign emerged when the researchers scoured global databases that containing more than 15m Covid genomes. The scientists found hallmark mutations in viruses from 2022, after molnupiravir was introduced. When the drug mutates the virus’s RNA, it increases the proportion of specific mutations at certain regions of the genetic code.

As well as spotting signature mutations in Covid viruses obtained from patients, the scientists found that these were more common in countries that used the most molnupiravir, such as the UK, Australia, the US and Japan. Further analyses found the hallmark mutations were more common in Covid virus taken from older patients who awere more likely to be treated with the drug.

As a final piece of evidence, the scientists picked out a number of viral samples in England that bore the signature mutations of molnupiravir and asked the UK Health Security Agency which patients had been treated with the drug. Sanderson said: “That number was much higher than you’d expect by chance, which again suggests it’s due to molnupiravir.”

But the implications of the mutations were still unclear, he added. “The signature is very clear, but there aren’t any widely circulating variants that have the signature. At the moment there’s nothing that’s transmitted very widely that’s due to molnupiravir.” Most mutations in the virus would be expected to weaken it rather than make it more dangerous.

One question scientists are keen to explore is whether drug-induced mutations explain an unusual finding in Oxford University’s Panoramic trial, which is investigating the effectiveness of Covid antivirals. While molnupiravir reduced levels of virus in the first week, levels appeared to rise again at two weeks. This could happen if the drug drives virus down but creates mutated versions that are better at evading patients’ immune defences.

The Panoramic trial found molnupiravir did not reduce the risk of hospitalisation or death among vaccinated, high-risk patients faced with the Omicron variant, but it did speed up recovery time.

Prof Chris Butler, a co-investigator on the trial, said it “may be very useful in speeding recovery among key workers, for example, during times of high pressure on services. Molnupiravir may be very useful in certain contexts, but should definitely not be used as a ‘treat all’ approach.”

Stephen Griffin, professor of cancer virology at the University of Leeds, and was not part of the study or the trial, said: “Does this mean we should stop using molnupiravir? Taking this new evidence together with evidence from the Panoramic trial, there is the suggestion that we should think about whether molnupiravir should be used on its own – but it shouldn’t be discarded and could still be valuable if we were to use it in drug combinations.” [ed. Platystemon has been saying the same thing lmao]
(..)

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My favorite chef is out with Covid again. He also works at the hospital, so he got vaccinated before anybody else and I don't think he's taken any preventative measures since. He looked like he aged five years last time he came back from Covid. Actually kinda worried this time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Kaiser probably isn’t taking vaccine appointments because their employees are going on strike oct 1

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

There's no evidence that molnupiravir caused viable mutations that help evade immunity response.

Also here's some evidence that molnupiravir caused mutations that we think wouldn't otherwise exist, with potentially heightened immunity evasion.

Are these variants circulating? Uh we don't think so, no.

Should we keep using this? Is it helping or is it hurting? :shrug:

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I'm still a believer in the theory that molnupiravir was responsible for the OG Omicron

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’ve cracked the case: they skip breakfast if they’re going to brunch.

Insanite posted:

lol at the pervasive framing in this country of declarations and NPIs as the problem and not the virus:

quote:

More than four months since the end of the national and state public health emergencies for COVID-19, O’Leary is unable to do what many others can: relax his precautions against the virus

Everyone can relax precautions against the virus.

It’s just varying shades of a bad idea.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Steve Yun posted:

My SIL just flew back to BC lmao

Just endless repeating lmaos

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

did they control for people feeding their breakfast to their dogs?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/loscharlos/status/1706364616694202799?s=46

that Putrino Labs study on Long Covid has come out

says Long Covid is definitely a biological disease and not in your head. if any of your docs say it’s in your head you can shove it in their face

because it’s a biological disease they’ve developed a blood test to check for it

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Steve Yun posted:

Keep in mind this is just some professor with a big spreadsheet giving out these numbers and calibrations. I'm too dumb when it comes to data stuff like this to make a judgement on whether they're good/bad numbers. poo poo sucks regardless and I've been just relying on anecdotal evidence (number of coworkers out sick, coughs on the bus, etc)

The government doesn't really bother summarizing or disseminating information. Its there, if you look for it, for some things.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

the headline is careful to say “associated with” and not “causes”

it’s possible that people who skip breakfast are living overall unhealthier lifestyles to begin with

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Steve Yun posted:

says Long Covid is definitely a biological disease and not in your head. if any of your docs say it’s in your head you can shove it in their face

because it’s a biological disease they’ve developed a blood test to check for it

good news???? nah can’t be

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
"unbiased machine learning models" ughhhh gently caress offfff

but that's a pretty big sample so, cool

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Also that poor guy they got on record, a cellist with long Covid trembling/ataxia.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

NeonPunk posted:

OG Omicron

Speaking of

lol

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Steve Yun posted:

Coming up - biological diseases and why they should be treated with CBT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Steve Yun posted:

(..)

Great for the people suffering from this particular brand of PASC, but as it certainly isn't a singular mechanism, it unfortunately won't be conclusive in the negative. I hope it won't be used that way.