Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

economy seems fine to me. ALL TIME HIGHS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
hm has anyone recalculated the gini index for america since 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

anime was right posted:

btw this was a really small but hugely impactful thing that the trump tax bill or whatever did, and that was if you inherit a 401k or ira you now have to distribute it out over 10 years no matter what instead of holding onto it for retirement. this means you get HEAVILY taxed if you inherit a retirement account. its not specifically aimed at loving over millennials, but its pretty loving close.

like, i know "oh wow theyre lucky to have inherited money" or whatever but like, its very specifically meant to tax the poo poo out of boomer retirement funds (for those who have them) without taxing boomers specifically

i cant even imagine what the loving point of this poo poo is

Tuek
May 8, 2007

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

6. Avoid specifically the site M*rxis dot org unless there is some text on that site that cannot be gotten in digital format anywhere else.

Could someone explain just this bit to me? What’s wrong with M*rxists dot org?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

actionjackson posted:

a 12 pack of pop is over seven bucks now? wtf

pre-covid I remember 2.99

i have gotten into those little squeeze bottles of flavor concentrate you mix with water, they’re very pocketable

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

i cant even imagine what the loving point of this poo poo is

the theoretical capitalism priest reason economic rationale behind this involves getting money out of the stock market and into people's hands so it can circulate, for the same reason that IRAs have minimum required distributions after you get to a certain age

the practicals are gently caress you

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

this here gallon of 95% ethanol tells me "food grade" is just a marketing tactic

In America, dilution is always the solution to pollution!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

LonsomeSon posted:

i have gotten into those little squeeze bottles of flavor concentrate you mix with water, they’re very pocketable
brother this is the way

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i am harry posted:

drat this is literally the third time I’ve read some variation of this statement from you i know every one of us has our little forum schtick but

their shtick is joining the capitalist class and being very proud of it. that's what "early retirement" means.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zodium posted:

their shtick is joining the capitalist class and being very proud of it. that's what "early retirement" means.

joining the capitalist class seems good idea to me. imagine being able to enjoy unprecedented consumption of Treats in luxurious opulence rarely had in human history. hell, who wouldn't want that. the entire americana system is to built on everyone from the poorest poor to richest elite all sharing a unified goal in chasing the consuming as much treats as possible

treats ftw

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the working class are chuds and should be crushed

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Potato Salad posted:

What the hell is all this revisionism

Trump signed off on social protections during covid because one loving guy from Vermont forced his massive throbbing will down that fascist's throat.

^ oh piss off with the "dems woulda shut sanders down" poo poo, if you don't remember they actually tried to talk him down and he won.

sitting here mouth agape at the people who somehow think Donald John Trump wasn't the most bitchmade corporate push-pin voodoo doll we've had this side of 9/11, and that's really loving saying something because that includes Obama's well-lubed fossil and investment institution uhhh lobby. Trump regularly caved to late capitalist corporatist wet dreams that even gave characters like Tucker pause. Lest you forget, the RNC had to retain a set of speakers to assure their own regular corporatist monsters that everything was fine and that "the social contract was already dead," so there would be no mass labor whiplash (lol).

please avoid falling for the "He's not like the rest of 'em" far-right Blue Collar Billionaire propaganda after the fact

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol and also lmao

that's a whole lot of angry agreeing with me, trump was a weak president and didn't know how to use his office to shut sanders out, thank you for writing hundreds of words saying exactly that. do you really think hillary couldn't have blocked sanders? lol.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
we absolutely would not have gotten the same UI program without trump not giving 1 poo poo about signing off on whatever lol. abuela would have made sure to slow roll it and tack on 40 bajillion qualifiers and mean test it to hell to force folks back to work. lol at thinking a democrat would be more reasonable on this

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

eXXon posted:

A former Bernie advisor wrote a NYT op-ed reminding everyone that child poverty is only going to get worse because emergency childcare funding is ending this week (separately from the already-expired child tax credit, I gather):

quote:

The lack of accessible and affordable child care could pull more women out of the work force, potentially leading to higher inflation and a slower economic recovery.

lmao they're so open that inflation is only wages and nothing else.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Chad Sexington posted:

So long-term the whole thing might be doomed. Probably it was anyway because I don't think anyone but Boomers give money.

same reason the mainline Protestant church is going to dry up financially. even if millions of millennials started filling the pews tomorrow, they don’t give.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

anime was right posted:

the median retirement account has like 30k in it lol. rich people can already dodge this pretty easily, poor people wont know how to or have the resources to do it.

Then that's 3k in RMD a year for those people, not a big tax problem

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Homeless Friend posted:

we absolutely would not have gotten the same UI program without trump not giving 1 poo poo about signing off on whatever lol. abuela would have made sure to slow roll it and tack on 40 bajillion qualifiers and mean test it to hell to force folks back to work. lol at thinking a democrat would be more reasonable on this

Trump actually wants credit for things while liberals firmly believe that loving people over is for their own good and only care about the approval of their billionaire island friends

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zodium posted:

Taft-Hartley ftw

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

All the libs would be insisting this was the most aid it was ever possible to implement, too.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

actionjackson posted:

Yinzer detected.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Trump actually wants credit for things while liberals firmly believe that loving people over is for their own good and only care about the approval of their billionaire island friends

its that simple. the best possible scenario for the average person is trump as president with a dem congress lol

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

SourKraut posted:

Just go to Lowes and buy the 20% vinegar, then add 4 gallons of water. Bing bong so simple

Or adjust with powdered citric acid.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Xaris posted:

the one economic metric that matters

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Xaris posted:

That looks familiar:

Interesting that you can so clearly see the various financial crises on the wealth graph, then the rate of accumulation resuming at a faster pace afterwards. Looks stable.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

VitalSigns posted:

All the libs would be insisting this was the most aid it was ever possible to implement, too.

drumpf clearing a low bar is worse than the dems who wouldn't, asktually

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

When my mom died a few years ago she had like 15k in some pension account that was split 3 ways between my siblings and I so like 5k each.

The rules to get that money tax free were so insanely confusing - you had to open a specific IRA - you had to get a bunch of poo poo notarized - you had to get a death certificate - etc etc etc that I just said gently caress it and cashed it and paid the full tax penalty because it just wasnt worth the headache for me along with all the other bullshit to be dealt with.

Meanwhile straight cash - that poo poo is tax free until like 12million dollars.

Just wait until you learn about step up in basis!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tuek posted:

Could someone explain just this bit to me? What’s wrong with M*rxists dot org?

it is revisionist, trotskyist, and fascist. the admins do not even embrace xi thought

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Uh seriously thanks for this.

This is why you always boil for ten minutes before AND after!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Brrrmph posted:

same reason the mainline Protestant church is going to dry up financially. even if millions of millennials started filling the pews tomorrow, they don’t give.

It’s pretty wild

We broke every social contract and things that aren’t based on market transactions are coming undone.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Frosted Flake posted:

It’s pretty wild

We broke every social contract and things that aren’t based on market transactions are coming undone.
things based on market transactions are also falling apart, op.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

It's true. and I know some age 50-65 people that say, "wow, if only everyone would donate to charity we could really help society."

So they spend a few hundred bucks once a year buying a mattress and action figure playset for some disadvantaged white, nuclear Christian family's kid and imagine that this is the answer to poverty. It's that simple. Everyone remember to give generously this holiday season as you remove a paper donation pledge decoration from the giving tree at the mall!

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
They should have moved to a subscription model, maybe include automatic penance for light sins.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Back when you knew your priest and he knew you, indulgence as a service (IaaS) was probably well understood, I like to imagine.

Instant proactive absolution, salvation, etc.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Father Wendigo posted:

How disappointing, the most flailing we got to see was Disney re-airing the football game using Toy Story CGI.

Meanwhile, in probably nothing news...

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1706413717548834960?t=s24BVDe1ZZt2OZGcCsUPKQ&s=19
lmao I know a guy at one of these firms that insisted we switch to Signal for text messaging a couple years ago, and I asked at the time if this is why

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

palindrome posted:

Back when you knew your priest and he knew you, indulgence as a service (IaaS) was probably well understood, I like to imagine.

/downs beer
/slaps a fiver down on the bar

“His next ones on me.”

/turns to person sitting behind him

“Ay father, can I grab a minute of your time?”

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Zodium posted:

Griz
May 21, 2001

actionjackson posted:

I went to the grocery store yesterday and they had a sign up on the deli counter saying roast beef and italian subs are now $12 instead of $8

ham turkey and everything else is still $8

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

palindrome posted:

When I heard a pastor get asked whether to donate based on gross income or net income, it produced my favorite line ever heard in a church: "Do you want a net blessing or a gross blessing?"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

actionjackson posted:

amnesia is the key for beating inflation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Costco to offer virtual healthcare visits for $29

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/costco-virtual-medical-checkups-for-29/

They're going to reinstall the onion machines except when you turn the crank now they dispense band-aids and sub-WebMD advice