Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

explosivo posted:

Link

Jesus. Well that explains why it was hosed again last night when we all went to play. Pretty sure my friends are done trying at this point, it's a gamepass game so it's just as easy to drop as it is to pick up.

I don't work in games software, so maybe this is a dumb question, but does testing to ensure that load balancing works under... load... really not happen before the launch of an online-only title? Or before updating the infrastructure of that title? Seems like a sizable screw-up if they're already issuing statements about reducing online-only elements.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Insanite posted:

I don't work in games software, so maybe this is a dumb question, but does testing to ensure that load balancing works under... load... really not happen before the launch of an online-only title? Or before updating the infrastructure of that title? Seems like a sizable screw-up if they're already issuing statements about reducing online-only elements.

It does but there is no real testing of a live fire environment.

A lot of it is also based off past history and the stats of the hardware they are using; running days of high pressure server testing would mean actually occupying those severs and having a bunch of computers try and ping the system. Even then, a ping isn't the same thing as 300,000 people trying to access it from all over the world at the same time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
there's also no way to tell what a reasonable test is. 300k is probably high end compared to what you expect from how payday 2 went down. multiple millions might have been out of the scope of reality as far as their planning goes.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I assume throwing it up onto Gamepass would more mean more people trying it too.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Insanite posted:

For what it's worth I don't think their "make Payday 3 less dependent on online services" means they're reducing online-only elements. It sounds more like AWS (I think I read they're using AWS for their matchmaking servers anyway) hosed up the resource allocation and they're saying they need to be less reliant on cloud services by hosting servers in-house.

The more I've played this game and got into its groove the more I like it. I didn't really understand the benefit of playing this over Payday 2 at first but it seems like they wanted to start over and keep things more grounded in reality/heisting. The stealth stuff and the fluidity between stealth and loud is great - I had a Gold & Sharke stealth run earlier where we had one person mask up and go behind the tellers right away and take the entire office staff hostage while the rest of us stayed mask-off in the front lobby and worked our way in from the other direction and it was great having two parallel aspects of the heist going at once. The progression systems kind of suck, and it needs more heists, but it's been enough to keep me coming back despite server problems.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 25, 2023

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Insanite posted:

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

It's the peer to peer vs dedicated server issue writ large. If they implemented or had an option for p2p mode for like, the solo stealth guys and as an option for the full pre-form lobby guys, like half of the issues with last weekend could of been avoided. But then the game would have to have some sort of way to verify p2p games were legit and people aren't putting in a bunch of bullshit results (I made 20 billion dollars in bagged loot and murdered 1000 bulldozers in a single round, go me).

Edit: First DLC / content drop has to be Vlad doing something zany for Christmas right? It's like payday tradition at this point.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 25, 2023

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

It's the peer to peer vs dedicated server issue writ large. If they implemented or had an option for p2p mode for like, the solo stealth guys and as an option for the full pre-form lobby guys, like half of the issues with last weekend could of been avoided. But then the game would have to have some sort of way to verify p2p games were legit and people aren't putting in a bunch of bullshit results (I made 20 billion dollars in bagged loot and murdered 1000 bulldozers in a single round, go me).

Yeah and who cares? This is a coop game, not PvP. Implement tools that let people kick out cheaters in-game and let those who want have their fun.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Bulldozers are hard as hell now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RandolphCarter posted:

Bulldozers are hard as hell now.

Yeah I can't tell if there's a weak point somewhere, shooting the mask part of the helmet doesn't seem to be doing anything like it did in PD2. It does seem like parts of his armor fall off if you shoot him in the body, possibly from behind?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

All of their armor seems to chip off and eventually let them take damage. The helmet does too but it's kind of weird... on Normal you can headshot a bulldozer immediately after knocking their helmet armor off, but on Hard and above they still take multiple mag dumps to the face after the helmet breaks.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It seems like their armor is very directional too, you can't headshot them from the back until a lot of it breaks away.

Kikas posted:

Yeah and who cares? This is a coop game, not PvP. Implement tools that let people kick out cheaters in-game and let those who want have their fun.

It's all fun and games til you match with a hacking pubbie that instantly completes the objective and then "generously" causes everyone in the lobby to unlock every weapon, clothing piece, and challenge plus getting fifty billion dollars. It has happened in other games.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
as opposed to it just being unplayable for like hours?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

DeathSandwich posted:

Edit: First DLC / content drop has to be Vlad doing something zany for Christmas right? It's like payday tradition at this point.

A Merry Payday Christmas 2 please. I need a If It Has To Be Christmas followup.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

as opposed to it just being unplayable for like hours?

Yeah? Half the reason people play this game is progression, deleting that by unlocking everything instantly makes the game unplayable forever. Unless you want to ask Starbreeze for an account reset.

VVV Listen if we wanted to be freed from burning the scant hours we have on this earth on something completely pointless we wouldn't play video games

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 25, 2023

Grinspork
Jun 20, 2004

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED
"Excuse me developers, someone stopped wanting me to have fun in your game and go outside, maybe read, spend time with my family.... but could I have my account reset?"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The always online and parallel account system also acts as a DLC piracy check. Even if it weren't likely a publisher mandate, it's pretty expected at this point for a product that's dependent on GaaS modeling.

For reference although they haven't said who the partner was that hosed up so badly, I believe one of the companies they're working with is Accelbyte.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The pirate sites appear to have "working" multiplayer, at least reddit seems to back that up.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

In really dumb news about this game, now that I've been stealthing missions, you get almost zero experience for stealth. Meanwhile going loud and dragging it out to get more kills to finish weapon challenges levels you pretty fast because there are a shitload of combat challenges that you can work on all at once.

Don't forget to do things like constantly spam slides since you get experience for sliding certain total distances, and stuff like that.

At this point I'm just leaving the game when my team is trying to stealth :smith:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 26, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

In really dumb news about this game, now that I've been stealthing missions, you get almost zero experience for stealth. Meanwhile going loud and dragging it out to get more kills to finish weapon challenges levels you pretty fast because there are a shitload of combat challenges that you can work on all at once.

Don't forget to do things like constantly spam slides since you get experience for sliding certain total distances, and stuff like that.

At this point I'm just leaving the game when my team is trying to stealth :smith:

Option 1: play a lot the bridge map which is basically a giant shooting gallery and mandatory loud.

Option 2: They cover your rear end. They drop ammo, health, and armor between waves. They can even carry bags. Bots: By Starbreeze. They can't do overkill but they can do everything else.

Option 3: Put an unsilenced burst into the nearest guard the second the map starts. What are they going to do, kick you?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You don't even have to beat the heist to get challenge exp, so the objectively fastest way to level is to go loud immediately and have a protracted shootout until you die, lmao

This also technically means that e.g. it is more beneficial to you, personally, to ignore all the loot and just shoot cops while your team does the heist. Time spent looting is time spent not getting challenge exp for killing different special types, killing enemies with each weapon, etc.

E: though to be fair this is only for infamy level. Leveling weapons or skills is just a matter of completing missions with the bare minimum loot as quickly as possible. But the progression system in this game does not at all reward meticulously stealthing missions very well :(

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 26, 2023

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
I have a nasty feeling that either the MTX system (confirmed) or the Battle Pass system (suspected) will offer a reward system which fills that gap.

That is, I reckon the lack of XP rewards creates the 'perfect' vacuum for an alternative currency system to slot into.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I believe the devs have already communicated that the premium currency will only be for a separate set of cosmetics.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I don’t care if stealth is sub optimal for completing a level since even botched stealth runs usually mean less time getting shot at. Collecting phones, opening sky lights, cracking safes, etc. all make it easier. The final charge is a pain, stealth helps you avoid it.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Plus it’s very satisfying to se all the red !!! when you throw a celebratory grenade at the end of a successful stealth heist.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I like how standing nose to nose with a security guard, poking him in the chest over and over while saying "watch out for security, watch out for the guard" isn't considered suspicious activity.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Full on, careful stealth might not be the most efficient way to get your payday, but god drat is it truly satisfying to pull off in a way that just clearing a vault under assault isn't quite. Me and a buddy did Gold and Sharke stealth, only he masked, so he threw all of the bags off of the roof and I caught them at the basement parking garage and ferried them into the van, then he slipped into the garage access after we moved all the loot. It felt so god drat cool even if it probably took way longer than shooting it out.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I spent my last negotiation phase running through a door again and again since it's a multi-tier challenge you can grind up to 100 door slams. But at some point bot Chains had enough and shot the lock, which prevents you from interacting with the door anymore. Rude.

Kinda wish that there were more filtering options when it comes to challenges (and tracking them within the heist), the big rear end list where there are all dumped at once is not very readable without being able to separate them by heist/weapon at least. The only filter options are All/In Progress/Completed which is just :effort:

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I'm not sure i get the "stealth gives no xp" takes. You gotta do them anyway for the x amount of heists before assault. You get xp for tagging guards, hacking cameras, using the stealth deployables, smashing jewelry cases. Also, i get like +1000 weapon xp for a solo dirty ice heist, more than i get when going loud usually.

The challenge system isn't great though and no loud/stealth filter when matchmaking also sucks.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Yeah I think every mission has a 25 times stealth challenge.

I was able to get first bank and transport today. No other missions would load.

The m14 is badass. It’s exactly the same gun as cod mw2 old school. Awesome

E- if 21 points is the cap that is brutal. If true though there will be a million different builds and they are quick and free to change around.

swims fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Sep 26, 2023

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I gotta say I do wish the guns had just a little bit more punch. The shotgun in particular feels kind of underwhelming, having to double-tap even generic swat guys at anything but point-blank ranges doesn't feel too great. Sure, you can extend the range a bit by going for headshots, but at that point you might as well just use something like the M14.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
The first shotgun didn’t click with me either. Something feels off. Maybe some of the mods or skills will bring it where it needs to be. Didnt feel like a reinfeld out the box. I’ll have to give it another chance and upgrade it.

Starting sig handgun is real good with just a few mods.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Really wish Joceline had made it into 3, it was my favorite shotgun in 2.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

canada jezus posted:

I'm not sure i get the "stealth gives no xp" takes. You gotta do them anyway for the x amount of heists before assault. You get xp for tagging guards, hacking cameras, using the stealth deployables, smashing jewelry cases. Also, i get like +1000 weapon xp for a solo dirty ice heist, more than i get when going loud usually.

The challenge system isn't great though and no loud/stealth filter when matchmaking also sucks.

Stealth runs give progress towards XP chunks, but it's not the immediate "You won the mission, r-r-rank up!" feedback after every single match that other shooters, PD2 included, have.

It's a bit annoying to have to switch off but it is also funny to see people writing off weapons til they try them for the XP and realize that switching their build around a bit makes them pretty decent. Wow what an unintentional consequence it's like magic

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Yeah if the postgame screen showed progress made on challenges that'd alleviate some of the feeling. I check challenges before every game to see what i want to work on, but it is a bit of a hassle.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

canada jezus posted:

Yeah if the postgame screen showed progress made on challenges that'd alleviate some of the feeling. I check challenges before every game to see what i want to work on, but it is a bit of a hassle.

Yeah the completed challenges screen on the end could be a lot better, but i don't think that would entirely satisfy the need. Honestly it might take a fortnite-esque "you completed X challenge!" in-game interface to make it work the same way. You slide your 200th foot or whatever and a HUD pop-up tells you in-game. I think it'd look like poo poo but it's a "what do you people want" kind of things.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Perestroika posted:

I gotta say I do wish the guns had just a little bit more punch. The shotgun in particular feels kind of underwhelming, having to double-tap even generic swat guys at anything but point-blank ranges doesn't feel too great. Sure, you can extend the range a bit by going for headshots, but at that point you might as well just use something like the M14.

Yeah, early gunplay has not felt great to me. Firmly average. Don't know if that'll be tweaked ever or not, but I do hope that this happens ASAP:

canada jezus posted:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Well that's true to the Payday 2 shotguns before ammo types were introduced, hence why almost everyone picked buckshot ammo when it released.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

swims posted:

The first shotgun didn’t click with me either. Something feels off. Maybe some of the mods or skills will bring it where it needs to be. Didnt feel like a reinfeld out the box. I’ll have to give it another chance and upgrade it.

I have it at rank 12 with a bunch of gunslinger and mower perks and it’s great. Switch to the bronco for long range

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The first SMG you unlock (not the prebuilt one you can buy for c-bills) feels like the best overall weapon to me. Accurate enough to countersnipe snipers, really high DPS, quick reload, and you get plenty of ammo from ammo drops.

I'm using it with ammo and mower perks so I just get to spam infinite bullets and grenades everywhere.

e: Does anyone know what earns you more map-specific favors?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

The first SMG you unlock (not the prebuilt one you can buy for c-bills) feels like the best overall weapon to me. Accurate enough to countersnipe snipers, really high DPS, quick reload, and you get plenty of ammo from ammo drops.

I'm using it with ammo and mower perks so I just get to spam infinite bullets and grenades everywhere.

e: Does anyone know what earns you more map-specific favors?

1) you're high, the first smg is poop, wait until you try the AK or even the DMR rifle (with the same set up you've got, it is very powerful). I'll give the smg another shot tonight to test it though.

2) we're not sure, but the current theory is just completing other maps (as a soft way of preventing people from bad rats-ing the same map over and over).