Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
I got complacent and stopped obsessively tracking this thread for like a year

What did I miss??? Just got the new Pfizer vaccine, which knocked me on my rear end for a day, pretty excited to watch society stroke out from the new post-COVID COVID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Steve Yun posted:

school will be a teacher in a hermetically sealed capsule with all the kids outdoors
Has anyone suggested making self-driving teachers yet? They'll be immune to covid

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

What did I miss??? Just got the new Pfizer vaccine, which knocked me on my rear end for a day, pretty excited to watch society stroke out from the new post-COVID COVID.

COVID‑19 continues its reign as the world’s top infectious disease. Tuberculosis, malaria, and AIDS would have to combine their efforts to post a competitive number.

empireofcrime posted:

if you assume covid is a danger you then have to follow that with people in power who are charged with protecting us as citizens are intentionally not doing so and that possibility is so overwhelming that people will fight it tooth and nail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8rGrg-OZGc

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

https://youtu.be/lKfupO4ZzPs?si=u5gD0sZUMBXsIFqh

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Jeffrey please hide quotes of people I blocklist thank you and I love you

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Woodsy Owl posted:

Jeffrey please hide quotes of people I blocklist thank you and I love you

I believe there’s a plug-in for that.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Just heard a PSA on the radio warning about sudden cardiac arrest in young athletes. Seems normal.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Nearly 90% of Americans didn't wear seatbelts ~40 years ago. I was young, but I remember trying to muffle the *click* so my friends wouldn't laugh at me.

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.

gandlethorpe posted:

Just heard a PSA on the radio warning about sudden cardiac arrest in young athletes. Seems normal.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38493515/jalen-hurts-endured-flu-symptoms-eagles-victory

quote:

TAMPA, Fla. -- Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts confirmed that he played through flu-like symptoms during Monday night's 25-11 win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

"Just us executing," Hurts said, describing what it took to gut it out. "It's not the first time I've dealt with this or had to play with something like this. And it always happens on Monday night for whatever reason."

Hurts was not alone. Center Jason Kelce said a number of Eagles were under the weather leading up to the game.

"It feels like everyone in the world is right now," he said. "It's kind of ramping up again. We had a lot of guys on the team this week ... it's kind of maybe that time of year right now in Philly."

Even so, the offense put up 472 yards, led by high-flying performances from running back D'Andre Swift (130 rush yards) and receiver A.J. Brown (9 catches, 131 yards).

Eagles defensive end Brandon Graham joked afterward that Hurts, who recently signed with Nike's Jordan brand, was just trying to be like Mike, who famously put up 38 points for the Chicago Bulls in a win over the Utah Jazz in the 1997 NBA Finals while dealing with an illness. It wasn't that epic: Hurts had an up-and-down night, throwing and rushing for a touchdown while also tossing a couple of interceptions. But he did dazzle with a couple of his throws.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

NVM.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 10:16 on Sep 26, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
time to bring back having a dozen kids so that two of them will survive into adulthood

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Hospitalized cases showing MRI abnormalities 5 months post hospitalization. Worth noting that this is naturally only counting abnormalities observable by MRI scan.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-66890505 posted:

Long Covid: MRI scans reveal new clues to symptoms
People living with long Covid after being admitted to hospital are more likely to show some damage to major organs, according to a new study.

MRI scans revealed patients were three times more likely to have some abnormalities in multiple organs such as the lungs, brain and kidneys.

Researchers believe there is a link with the severity of the illness.

It is hoped the UK study will help in the development of more effective treatments for long Covid.

The study, published in Lancet Respiratory Medicine, looked at 259 patients who fell so ill with the virus that they were admitted to hospital.

Five months after they were discharged, MRI scans of their major organs showed some significant differences when compared to a group of 52 people who had never had Covid.

The biggest impact was seen on the lungs, where the scans were 14 times more likely to show abnormalities.

MRI scans were also three times more likely to show some abnormalities in the brain - and twice as likely in the kidneys - among people who had had severe Covid.

There was no significant difference in the health of the heart or liver.

Dr Betty Raman, from the University of Oxford and one of the lead investigators on the study, says it is clear that those living with long Covid symptoms are more likely to have experienced some organ damage.

She said: "The patient's age, how severely ill they were with Covid, as well as if they had other illnesses at the same time, were all significant factors in whether or not we found damage to these important organs in the body."
(..)

Study proper:
"Multiorgan MRI findings after hospitalisation with COVID-19 in the UK (C-MORE): a prospective, multicentre, observational cohort study"

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(23)00262-X/fulltext posted:

Summary
Introduction
The multiorgan impact of moderate to severe coronavirus infections in the post-acute phase is still poorly understood. We aimed to evaluate the excess burden of multiorgan abnormalities after hospitalisation with COVID-19, evaluate their determinants, and explore associations with patient-related outcome measures.

Methods
In a prospective, UK-wide, multicentre MRI follow-up study (C-MORE), adults (aged ≥18 years) discharged from hospital following COVID-19 who were included in Tier 2 of the Post-hospitalisation COVID-19 study (PHOSP-COVID) and contemporary controls with no evidence of previous COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2 nucleocapsid antibody negative) underwent multiorgan MRI (lungs, heart, brain, liver, and kidneys) with quantitative and qualitative assessment of images and clinical adjudication when relevant. Individuals with end-stage renal failure or contraindications to MRI were excluded. Participants also underwent detailed recording of symptoms, and physiological and biochemical tests. The primary outcome was the excess burden of multiorgan abnormalities (two or more organs) relative to controls, with further adjustments for potential confounders. The C-MORE study is ongoing and is registered with ClinicalTrials.gov, NCT04510025.

Findings
Of 2710 participants in Tier 2 of PHOSP-COVID, 531 were recruited across 13 UK-wide C-MORE sites. After exclusions, 259 C-MORE patients (mean age 57 years [SD 12]; 158 [61%] male and 101 [39%] female) who were discharged from hospital with PCR-confirmed or clinically diagnosed COVID-19 between March 1, 2020, and Nov 1, 2021, and 52 non-COVID-19 controls from the community (mean age 49 years [SD 14]; 30 [58%] male and 22 [42%] female) were included in the analysis. Patients were assessed at a median of 5·0 months (IQR 4·2–6·3) after hospital discharge. Compared with non-COVID-19 controls, patients were older, living with more obesity, and had more comorbidities. Multiorgan abnormalities on MRI were more frequent in patients than in controls (157 [61%] of 259 vs 14 [27%] of 52; p<0·0001) and independently associated with COVID-19 status (odds ratio [OR] 2·9 [95% CI 1·5–5·8]; padjusted=0·0023) after adjusting for relevant confounders. Compared with controls, patients were more likely to have MRI evidence of lung abnormalities (p=0·0001; parenchymal abnormalities), brain abnormalities (p<0·0001; more white matter hyperintensities and regional brain volume reduction), and kidney abnormalities (p=0·014; lower medullary T1 and loss of corticomedullary differentiation), whereas cardiac and liver MRI abnormalities were similar between patients and controls. Patients with multiorgan abnormalities were older (difference in mean age 7 years [95% CI 4–10]; mean age of 59·8 years [SD 11·7] with multiorgan abnormalities vs mean age of 52·8 years [11·9] without multiorgan abnormalities; p<0·0001), more likely to have three or more comorbidities (OR 2·47 [1·32–4·82]; padjusted=0·0059), and more likely to have a more severe acute infection (acute CRP >5mg/L, OR 3·55 [1·23–11·88]; padjusted=0·025) than those without multiorgan abnormalities. Presence of lung MRI abnormalities was associated with a two-fold higher risk of chest tightness, and multiorgan MRI abnormalities were associated with severe and very severe persistent physical and mental health impairment (PHOSP-COVID symptom clusters) after hospitalisation.

Interpretation
After hospitalisation for COVID-19, people are at risk of multiorgan abnormalities in the medium term. Our findings emphasise the need for proactive multidisciplinary care pathways, with the potential for imaging to guide surveillance frequency and therapeutic stratification.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The radio here is being carpet bombed with ads for new Honey-Flavored Dayquil! Take it when flu symptoms come on, so you can "power through" your day!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The radio here is being carpet bombed with ads for new Honey-Flavored Dayquil! Take it when flu symptoms come on, so you can "power through" your day!
It still contains phenylephrine, right? Because if so lol

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I gotta say that the whole joke "teehee, is it already 'Is it Allergies or Covid?' season?" is really bugging me after seeing so many of that lately. Like I know there was going to be a uptick in that phrasing but there's just something about that makes me so annoyed and irks me.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
An imho rather flawed Danish population level study concerning longer term risks from COVID infections (specifically immunocompromising effects), finding little effect:
"Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) Infection and Postacute Risk of Non–Coronavirus Disease 2019 Infectious Disease Hospitalizations: A Nationwide Cohort Study of Danish Adults Aged ≥50 Years"

https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/cid/ciad531/7280012?redirectedFrom=fulltext posted:

Abstract
Background
Reports suggest that the potential long-lasting health consequences of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection may involve persistent dysregulation of some immune populations, but the potential clinical implications are unknown. We investigated the associated risk of hospitalization due to non–coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) infectious diseases following the postacute phase of SARS-CoV-2 infection.

Methods
By cross-linking data from the comprehensive Danish test and surveillance system for COVID-19 together with nationwide healthcare and demographic registers, we established a study cohort of 2 430 694 individuals aged ≥50 years, from 1 January 2021 to 10 December 2022, with no evidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection prior to study entry. Using Poisson regression, we compared the outcome rates of non-COVID-19 infectious disease hospitalizations following the acute phase of (a first) SARS-CoV-2 infection (defined as ≥29 days since the day of infection) in recovered individuals with rates among SARS-CoV-2–uninfected individuals.

Results
Among 2 430 694 included individuals (mean age, 66.8 [standard deviation, 11.3] years), 930 071 acquired SARS-CoV-2 infection during follow-up totaling 4 519 913 person-years. The postacute phase of SARS-CoV-2 infection was associated with an incidence rate ratio (IRR) of 0.90 (95% confidence interval [CI]: .88–.92) for any infectious disease hospitalization. Findings (IRR [95% CI]) were similar for upper respiratory tract (1.08 [.97–1.20]), lower respiratory tract (0.90 [.87–.93]), influenza (1.04 [.94–1.15]), gastrointestinal (1.28 [.78–2.09]), skin (0.98 [.93–1.03]), urinary tract (1.01 [.96–1.08]), certain invasive bacterial (0.96 [.91–1.01]), and other (0.96 [.92–1.00]) infectious disease hospitalizations and in subgroups.

Conclusions
Our study does not support an increased susceptibility to non-COVID-19 infectious disease hospitalization following SARS-CoV-2 infection.
Earlier version of the full study text can be found here: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.04.03.23288102v1.full.pdf

I have 3 issues here:
1) According to the study the IRR is reduced for the COVID positive group, which is on its face idiotic. I believe this comes from having a COVID cohort that is fundamentally healthier (left is total, middle is COVID+ and right is uninfected):

2) The study uses flawed infection data, as i) most transmissions are in the household, ii) Denmark was absolutely flooded with COVID and testing wait lines were obscene and subsequently iii) I believe households are likelier to have the healthiest participant stand in line.
To substantiate this, here are the Danish weekly testing numbers for the period (keeping in mind that the total Danish population is ~5.9 million):

Case distribution numbers with ~10.5% of total population testing positive at the top weeks 5-6:

Based on blood sampling however the increase was 18% (Uge = Week) (naturally sampling here is not very old people, all are sub-72 and also not kids):

3) There have been rather large waves of Strep (PCP and hospital test data) and RSV (hospitalizations) subsequent to the large Omicron wave:

Sources:
https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/aa41b29149f24e20a4007a0c4e13db1d/page/Regionalt/ - Danish COVID dashboard (tests and cases).
https://covid19.ssi.dk/overvagningsdata/undersoegelser/moerketal-for-covid-19 - seroprevalence of ~0.1% of the Danish population per week (top most link).
https://www.ssi.dk/sygdomme-beredskab-og-forskning/sygdomsudbrud/arkiv/streptokker - Danish strep case outbreak monitoring (historic lmao).
https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/220fef27d07d438889d651cc2e00076c/page/RS-virus/ - Danish RSV dashboard.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 14:29 on Sep 26, 2023

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.
Nothing new of course, but I always come back to how people say "I don't know anyone with long covid" but have people they know hiding any number of issues that they just assume is "just the way things are", parosmia, new allergies that emerge out of nowhere, up to and including CFS-levels of fatigue they just shrug off as getting older.

https://x.com/yulingchow/status/1706433441686827469?s=20

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I assume that we’ll never see updated Novavax approved ever, now, as that’s the dumbest and cruelest thing, but it’s definitely iced if gov’t shuts down, right?

I really wanted the blood of the moth. :sigh:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fansy posted:

Nearly 90% of Americans didn't wear seatbelts ~40 years ago. I was young, but I remember trying to muffle the *click* so my friends wouldn't laugh at me.

And at the same time gloves weren't standard PPE for doctors either.

And 20 years ago if you went to a bar you had no choices that didn't include being surrounded by secondhand smoke. Now smokers are basically banned from being in public. No way we'd pull that off now.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

cool, my septuagenarian dad with hypertension, epilepsy, and lung damage from a pulmonary embolism is positive again

never goes anywhere but doctor’s appointments—he had one three days ago

wonder where he got covid

at least he got to see everyone’s smiles in the doctor’s office

Insanite has issued a correction as of 16:11 on Sep 26, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

We're going to the dentist tomorrow, we snagged the first two appointment slots of the day. Here's to hoping

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
whew feeling GREAT today, had to take a half day yesterday and took an hour nap in the middle of the day but was feeling better in the evening. seems the booster fatigue still only lasts about a day.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We're going to the dentist tomorrow, we snagged the first two appointment slots of the day. Here's to hoping

That’s my approach as well. I just had a cleaning yesterday and there was not a single person working there in more than a surgical. So here’s hoping nobody was sick I guess. At least with the first appointment of the day my odds are pretty good as there were only maybe six total people in the building and I only had my mask off around three of them.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Platystemon posted:

COVID‑19 continues its reign as the world’s top infectious disease. Tuberculosis, malaria, and AIDS would have to combine their efforts to post a competitive number.

Do they even compute R_0 for the variants anymore or is it off the chart?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

mdemone posted:

Do they even compute R_0 for the variants anymore or is it off the chart?

How can you calculate the R 0 when you're not testing for cases anymore?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Insanite posted:

cool, my septuagenarian dad with hypertension, epilepsy, and lung damage from a pulmonary embolism is positive again

never goes anywhere but doctor’s appointments—he had one three days ago

wonder where he got covid

at least he got to see everyone’s smiles in the doctor’s office

oh my loving god, i called to check on things and give the pax/remdesivir spiel and he told me that his doctor told him to "wait a day, and then test again" just to be sure.

forgot to mention that he's taking immunosuppressants, too. lol. loving wisdom. loving america.

Insanite has issued a correction as of 16:12 on Sep 26, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

NeonPunk posted:

How can you calculate the R 0 when you're not testing for cases anymore?

:shepicide:

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

anyone have luck scheduling boosters for the under 5 crowd?

my older kids can get Pfizer, but so far not even my pediatrician is doing shots for under 5s.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

NeonPunk posted:

There isn't any waiting period at all. If you ever tested positive, get your paxlovid right away no matter how soon you had your shot. You don't want the virus to replicate itself uncontrolled in any situation

Pretty sure this doesn't go in reverse though, you're supposed to wait like 3 months after testing positive to get another shot iirc

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Pretty sure this doesn't go in reverse though, you're supposed to wait like 3 months after testing positive to get another shot iirc

I was just asking this yesterday and the number is now "two months, but also if you get antsy then go ahead" because it's not really dangerous, it just overlaps the antibodies that are not yet significantly waning from infection

I'm gonna wait a month from total clear

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

really breaking my brain that people are just saying “well it’s cold and flu season so”

it’s September !!!

edit

look at this PTO email I got :

HAPPY TUESDAY! First of all, it's cold and flu season so your [school] could use TISSUES! LOTS OF TISSUES! Please deliver to the school

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

euphronius posted:

really breaking my brain that people are just saying “well it’s cold and flu season so”

it’s September !!!

Lol, the common cold may as well not exist anymore. Probably it's hanging out in reservoirs somewhere but it sure isn't getting any traction for the foreseeable future

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

euphronius posted:

it’s September !!!

tbf, they've been calling it "a summer cold" all summer, too.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Thoguh posted:

And at the same time gloves weren't standard PPE for doctors either.

And 20 years ago if you went to a bar you had no choices that didn't include being surrounded by secondhand smoke. Now smokers are basically banned from being in public. No way we'd pull that off now.

The smoking ban will be remembered as the last effective public health campaign

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!
how could republicans to this to trump
https://twitter.com/conradhackett/status/1706432912629875148?t=7e7ktOmroD5mkrkLd3AGXQ&s=19

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Insanite posted:

tbf, they've been calling it "a summer cold" all summer, too.

yeah there was some pop star who had to cancel shows for the summer flu

lmao we are all going to die

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

euphronius posted:

look at this PTO email I got :

HAPPY TUESDAY! First of all, it's cold and flu season so your [school] could use TISSUES! LOTS OF TISSUES! Please deliver to the school

lol please bring us tissues for our school full of sick children

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!
it rules that we have gaslit ourselves as a society to where summer flu is a thing you get every summer and I think has always been a thing??

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Got an email about an upcoming doctor appointment that I have with this great messaging and rules based science approach:

KP posted:

Masks are no longer required in our Medical and Dental facilities except in certain high-risk areas. Masks are still required in our hospitals and surgery centers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

tenderjerk posted:

it rules that we have gaslit ourselves as a society to where summer flu is a thing you get every summer and I think has always been a thing??

school buses? never heard of those. we've always walked uphill both ways to our schools, which are places where some fraction of children in a cohort report each day to stare at a wall.