Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Everything about it just seems incredibly poorly thought out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

pencilhands posted:

Why are like 95% of online ads now related to treatments etc for having a small dick?

They have algorithms to target personalized ads that they believe are relevant to you.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

pencilhands posted:

Why are like 95% of online ads now related to treatments etc for having a small dick?

pencilhands posted:

Personally, I agree that attacking trump or other republicans for their physical characteristics is not only morally wrong, but can potentially drive away potential democrat voters. For example remember those statues some artist made of trump with a comically small penis, which was an obvious jab at him. As a man with a clinical micropenis, this was only another reminder of my disability and while I could never vote for a republican, it caused me a level of mental anguish that I could see a more centrist voter finding to be a bridge too far.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cuz of this op

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

pencilhands posted:

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I hate to be the one to tell you about personalized ads, but

lol

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Is there an obvious superior alternative to Photoshop?

I don't know myself, but I've heard restaurant/arcades started skimping on "real" arcade games because they don't like the kind of customer they attract.

Restoring and maintaining the classic arcade games is a huge resource sink as well. They're not really made anymore, many are in their fourth decade of service, there's the danger of severe shock from caps and CRTs, customers love spilling drinks all over them, parts are a specialized market, the list goes on and on.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I got a new phone recently because my old one after some update made it really difficult to show the screen when I was getting an actual call, so if I called someone and wanted to hang up, I'd have to hard shut off my phone or guess where to touch on the black screen or wait until the receiver's voice mail cut off.

Anyway, I discovered something horrendous yesterday on the new phone, where when I selected text like from an email or a website, the default options that show up, where I expected copy, select all, etc. had been replaced by "Microsoft 365 Note" and "Bing search", with copy etc on the three dot menu.

I thought maybe this was an android setting but couldn't figure out how to adjust what order the options pop up when you highlight text and I refused to add an extra click every time I select text since I will never do either of those options.

The solution was to uninstall the Microsoft Outlook and 365 Office apps entirely; I couldn't find any options within the apps themselves to not be assholes and assume they should have priority over the copy function.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Obviously superior? No, but GIMP is perfectly adequate for like 99.9% of people.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Posted about it earlier in this thread but the Affinity suite is solid and doesn't require a subscription, https://affinity.serif.com/

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Yeah what they said, with the addition of Clip Studio Paint (conditionally, as they're pursuing enshitification as well,) if one is doing a lot of pen and ink style or painting rather than photo manipulation.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
tmobile now charges you $10/mo (or argues you've lost some "discount" they were offering you) if you don't directly wire up a debit or bank account for automatic payments rather than a credit card

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

DrPossum posted:

tmobile now charges you $10/mo (or argues you've lost some "discount" they were offering you) if you don't directly wire up a debit or bank account for automatic payments rather than a credit card

I signed up for autopay last month because they’re supposed to discount $5 per line if you do, which for me would be $20 a month.

They billed me the same amount they always do.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I signed up for autopay last month because they’re supposed to discount $5 per line if you do, which for me would be $20 a month.

They billed me the same amount they always do.

Stuff like this seems like it happens all the time and probably if you spend an hour trying to sort it out, you can fix it, but I wonder if they just assume most people won't bother so it's worth it for them to move ahead anyway.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

A Strange Aeon posted:

Stuff like this seems like it happens all the time and probably if you spend an hour trying to sort it out, you can fix it, but I wonder if they just assume most people won't bother so it's worth it for them to move ahead anyway.

Lol I’m waiting for chat with customer service right now. Gimme my money T-Mo

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

I'm no expert but I do possess a handy chart.

The abbreviation key is here
https://imgur.io/ZUIdSmi

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 26, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Pretty cool!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Love me an infographic that requires a secondary legend to understand it lol

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

That's a cool chart, it also taught me that Dreamweaver is still available for 28$ a month https://www.adobe.com/ca/products/dreamweaver.html

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

infographics are extremely ftw. the more info the better

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A Strange Aeon posted:

Ok, so similar to this topic: lots of stores are now charging ~3% extra when you pay with a card (gently caress off), so I'm trying to pay with cash more, but I had a cashier the other day give me a hard time over it. He reached for my card without telling me a price, gave me the wrong price when I asked, and when I asked him how my total came out to exactly $60 he laughed and said oh it's actually $59.94. And then I had to stare at him until he handed me my change. I'm not paying with cash so that you can still keep some of it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Why did Butterfingers get so bad? They used to be good. Did they take away a harmful chemical? Put it back in, please

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

ElGroucho posted:

Why did Butterfingers get so bad? They used to be good. Did they take away a harmful chemical? Put it back in, please

agreed, also yesterday I just bought the last box of those butterfinger bites I will ever buy, it only had like 10 pieces in it.
last time I got some a couple years or so ago it was pretty much a full box.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Jiggling credit cards is dumb and stupid. I have one visa card I use for everything and pay it off once a month. I keep my chequing account bank at home, in case the visa gets lost.

The simplification is worth not dealing with a dozen bullshit pieces of plastic

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Affinity Photo.

'Obviously better' is s stretch, but it's way better then GIMP and Paint.net, both of which had me missing Photoshop

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

This is amazing.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Wendigee posted:

Love me an infographic that requires a secondary legend to understand it lol

Honestly, if you work with Adobe Suite at all, you don't need the guide to know what it's referencing.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I remember hearing about a major bank, I think BoA, who began charging a random % of their customers a $1 fee, figuring some would ignore it and some would dispute it. They made bank.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

anonumos posted:

I remember hearing about a major bank, I think BoA, who began charging a random % of their customers a $1 fee, figuring some would ignore it and some would dispute it. They made bank.

Well don't worry, I'm sure whatever fine was levied against them was less than the profit they made, so there's nothing to stop them, or any bank, from pulling similar poo poo in the future! :haw:

:smith:

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 26, 2023

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
When we were kids and went to the store my sister would always get a box of the Chicken in Biscuit crackers, and I would always get a box of the Twigs. I think Twigs have been gone for like twenty years.

Please bring back Twigs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Huh, maybe things can become less lovely? The FTC is suing Amazon basically over all of the enshittification strategies they've employed over the past few years. It's focused on their Amazon Marketplace strategies and while I can think of a few other areas where they could use some government oversight, I'm not going to complain if they can get some of this poo poo undone.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Less lovely? That's adorable.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Time_pants posted:

This is amazing.
Adobe and other companies enshitification made the chart and alternatives possible.

I don't really use anything on it but gimp, paint.net and audacity (maybe once a year)

Glad to help though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Biplane posted:

Less lovely? That's adorable.

You can have worse but in a way that inconveniences other people more than it inconveniences you*.

*Age, race, gender and socioeconomic conditions apply.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Discovered at the weekend that IKEA have contracted out their delivery service to some lovely Uber knockoff. That’s lovely enough, but the app straight up doesn’t work. It makes you select the furniture you want delivered from a drop down list that doesn’t include half the items they stock, the delivery notification never moves off ‘pending’ and if you try to contact them with a query you get to choose between a chat client that is just a blank screen, an email address that bounces or a phone number that just goes ‘number not recognised’ and hangs up.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Google is terminating the Google Podcast app, which is decent, and rolling it into the YouTube music app, which is not.

CONSOLIDATION!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Podcasts are not videos lol

Different media !!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Time_pants posted:

Honestly, if you work with Adobe Suite at all, you don't need the guide to know what it's referencing.

even just loving around as an amateur lol

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

kiminewt posted:

Google is terminating the Google Podcast app, which is decent, and rolling it into the YouTube music app, which is not.

CONSOLIDATION!

Just like they did with Google Music, that was also much better.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

euphronius posted:

Podcasts are not videos lol

Different media !!

They are also not music, take note EVERY STREAMING MUSIC SERVICE ON EARTH

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Can't wait until all functions of my phone are branded YouTube. Really looking forward to YouTube Mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
As soon as google has finally shifted every service into youtube, that's when in a masterstroke they'll cancel that as well.

It will take over half a year until anyone at google notices they don't actually do anything any more.