Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Heath posted:

I bought a really sick old Pioneer amp with a built in radio tuner and once in a while I get the urge to click it on and just turn that big ol' knob and there is just absolutely loving nothing. Like there are very few stations in general and it's mostly pop country or top 40 stuff. This is in a college town that used to have a pretty decent college radio station that played unusual stuff but I can't find them now

May be a stupid question, but do you have an FM antenna connected? Even just a speaker cable split about halfway up whatever length will do wonders. Here in Orlando with a sizeable (12 foot) antenna in the attic I get lots of stations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Ah, modern rock, yes. Like Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand, etc., right?

They'll throw in stuff like that occasionally, but it's stuff like Cage The Elephant, From Ashes To New, Greta Van Fleet, Bring Me The Horizon, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Eva Under Fire, Five Finger Death Punch, Nita Strauss, The Glorious Sons, Asking Alexandria, Royal Blood, Dirty Honey, Des Rocs, Foo Fighters, Motionless In White, Jelly Roll, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Bad Omens, Bad Wolves, Pop Evil, Hardy, Highly Suspect, Ghost, Mammoth WVH, Imagine Dragons, AJR, Bastille, The Black Keys, Panic! At The Disco, Nathaniel Ratliff & The Night Sweats, Florence + The Machine.

And yes, some of those groups have been around for a while, but they're still putting out new stuff, which is what gets played.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

May be a stupid question, but do you have an FM antenna connected? Even just a speaker cable split about halfway up whatever length will do wonders. Here in Orlando with a sizeable (12 foot) antenna in the attic I get lots of stations.

No, because I didn't intend to use the radio when I bought it. I am in the middle of town so I think I'm getting a lot of the local stations pretty clearly. There just isn't much that I want to listen to.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Amoeba102 posted:

You guys listen to the radio?

I stopped listening to terrestrial modern rock radio when all the bands were tatted up post-grunge proto-chuds whose capacity for self expression was limited to rehearsed grunts and “hey f*ggot im gona beat you’re rear end”. Twenty years later, things don’t seem to have changed much. When people say they don’t listen to Nickelback or loving Creed, they’re clearly lying.

There’s an alternative station that debuted here a couple of years ago that, at launch, was allegedly aimed at millennials. For that demographic, they’ll have three songs on rotation from the mid-‘90s (one will be Sublime, one will be Everclear, the other is a wild card (nah, I’m joking, it’s Green Day)); otherwise they’re playing Fall Out Boy, some diet hip hop daily affirmation, or whatever banjo-forward indie that was hot back in 2013.

I’d welcome chillwave, downtempo, or lofi girl poo poo tbh.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

hearing goons age out of the coveted 18-36 demographic where EVERYTHING ON EARTH is targeted at them is pretty funny ngl

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

A Moose posted:

hearing goons age out of the coveted 18-36 demographic where EVERYTHING ON EARTH is targeted at them is pretty funny ngl

Your post is weirdly suggesting that I am not the most important person on the planet. Dunno if that's a typo or a troll.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

poo poo was trash when I was 20 though, is what I’m saying

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Deftones are weirdly popular with teenage girls on tiktok.

And honestly? Cool.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Heath posted:

I bought a really sick old Pioneer amp with a built in radio tuner and once in a while I get the urge to click it on and just turn that big ol' knob and there is just absolutely loving nothing. Like there are very few stations in general and it's mostly pop country or top 40 stuff. This is in a college town that used to have a pretty decent college radio station that played unusual stuff but I can't find them now

It's 90.5

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Heath posted:

Did you mount an FM antenna? Won’t get poo poo without one.

E:fb

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Don't care how many FM stations you got close by, not connecting an antenna will result in what you describe. Radio silence

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Splicer posted:

Bold and cynical source for a dementia simulator

That's a controversial, but brave and accurate characterization of the Dutch.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Antigravitas posted:

Deftones are weirdly popular with teenage girls on tiktok.

And honestly? Cool.

A younger woman working at the coffee shop was wearing a vintage Deftones T-shirt, quite chill to see.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm trying to updoot jarjar but nothing is happening.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

root beer posted:

I stopped listening to terrestrial modern rock radio when all the bands were tatted up post-grunge proto-chuds whose capacity for self expression was limited to rehearsed grunts and “hey f*ggot im gona beat you’re rear end”. Twenty years later, things don’t seem to have changed much. When people say they don’t listen to Nickelback or loving Creed, they’re clearly lying.

I'm gonna need some help understanding this one.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
They're a nerd mad at jocks still

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I do not listen to Nickelback or Creed. I know I'm not alone.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Paladinus posted:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Paladinus posted:

This is how you remind me?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's year 2023 and Nickelback is dominating the culture sphere, bigger than ever

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
https://i.imgur.com/vDA4VI4.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/NXE3bYS.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/Ui4Em0t.mp4

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Leon Sumbitches posted:

A younger woman working at the coffee shop was wearing a vintage Deftones T-shirt, quite chill to see.

How many songs was she able to name?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't know who needs to hear this but there are zoomers using How You Remind Me as an example of the lofty heights of classic rock leading to the to the fall of rock and roll that is, I don't even know what the kids like, Imagine Dragons?

In the exact same way millennials were debating about the fall of rock using Hungry Like the Wolf compared to How You Remind Me.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Which is wild, because we've seen the low points of rock music, they were the mid 80s and the mid 2000s. Shits been getting better since people stopped listening to limp bizkit

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

A Moose posted:

Which is wild, because we've seen the low points of rock music, they were the mid 80s and the mid 2000s. Shits been getting better since people stopped listening to limp bizkit

Limp bizkit was good and lol at calling the mid 80s as a low point for rock

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Large Testicles posted:

Limp bizkit was good

was he?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The worst period of music was when what I like was not popular. The best period of music was when what I like was popular.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Large Testicles posted:

Limp bizkit was good and lol at calling the mid 80s as a low point for rock

I don't know much about this, which is exactly why I'm going to comment authoritatively on it even though I was a toddler at the time - wasn't the mid-80s, in fact, an extremely low point for rock, as in it had basically disappeared from charts, which is why Appetite for Destruction in 87 was such a massive thing because it brought rock back to the mainstream when most of the charting music was, y'know, 80s trash?

(gently caress the 80s)

(if you need any more proof the 80s were bad, I was born in them)

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Highly territorial lemming :eng101:

quote:

The Norway lemming, also known as the Norwegian lemming (Lemmus lemmus) is a common species of lemming found in northern Fennoscandia, where it is the only vertebrate species endemic to the region.

So these little goobers have no natural fear of predators because they're the most dangerous creatures native to the area.

ya dangus
Jul 2, 2006

Paladinus posted:

You loving LIAR

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Paladinus posted:

"Animals" is a jam and I don't care what anyone says about it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

steinrokkan posted:

It's year 2023 and Nickelback is dominating the culture sphere, bigger than ever

How often do you think about the Nickelback?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Nenonen posted:

How often do you think about the Nickelback?

Every time I buy another candy bar with a dollar in 1987

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I've been seeing a lot of young folks wearing Nirvana t-shirts lately and I'm genuinely curious if kids these days are discovering them or if it's just a "this looks cool" thing.

:corsair:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Android Apocalypse posted:

I've been seeing a lot of young folks wearing Nirvana t-shirts lately and I'm genuinely curious if kids these days are discovering them or if it's just a "this looks cool" thing.

:corsair:

Only one way to find out: ask them to name every nirvana song

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I don't know much about this, which is exactly why I'm going to comment authoritatively on it even though I was a toddler at the time - wasn't the mid-80s, in fact, an extremely low point for rock, as in it had basically disappeared from charts, which is why Appetite for Destruction in 87 was such a massive thing because it brought rock back to the mainstream when most of the charting music was, y'know, 80s trash?

(gently caress the 80s)

(if you need any more proof the 80s were bad, I was born in them)

There was a shitload of good rock and rock derived music, it just wasn't what was super popular. You're talking about the golden age of thrash metal, etc

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 19:21 on Sep 26, 2023

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Seriously, just get Spotify or something.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You're talking about the golden age of thrash metal, etc

exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

80s music, especially post punk, rules in fact