Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

It's basically this, except bethesda won't bring the game up to snuff like no man's devs did.
Some modders might in a couple years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KxRp8jeliQ

E: Snypa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

cumpantry posted:

deep rock galactic owns btw in case anyones wondering. now thats some procedural generation.

Starfield could have been cool as poo poo if it used a bigger budget version of what drg does. Several different biomes that are all procedurally generated but all feel distinctly different from each other. The actual procedural environment generation is the same every time you play a map of a specific biome, but the fact that you swap biomes every mission always makes it interesting to explore what got procedurally generated. Starfield with 20-30 distinct biomes at that level actually would feel like a sprawling explorable galaxy.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

cumpantry posted:

deep rock galactic owns btw in case anyones wondering. now thats some procedural generation.

Seconded, played like 200 hrs, rock and stone! and what have you.

Would play with goons, no pointy eared leaf lovers allowed, though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
DRG showcases more creative energy in one dig than the last ~15 years of Bethesda games combined.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Grey Cat posted:

It's basically this, except bethesda won't bring the game up to snuff like no man's devs did.
Some modders might in a couple years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KxRp8jeliQ

E: Snypa

Lmao I love nms for the wacky hosed up procgen animals. Especially the infinitely branching dickfingers ones.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

they'll have to procedurally generate me playing it too, because I will never buy starfield

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Grey Cat posted:

Seconded, played like 200 hrs, rock and stone! and what have you.

Would play with goons, no pointy eared leaf lovers allowed, though.

sorry cant play w u i love smoking weed

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

cumpantry posted:

sorry cant play w u i love smoking weed

I can make an exception for inebriation leaves. That's like leaf beer.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
If anyone wants a good read, this article is about an ancient game based on the Hobbit but the underlying world was filled with dynamic npcs who had their own motivations, with the (unrealized but noble) goal of having a living, breathing world for the player to interact with: https://www.filfre.net/2012/11/the-hobbit/

Just made me think we are 40 years from that game and despite these big open world games having shop keepers go to sleep at night, there's little in the direction of actual unscripted dynamism.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

A Strange Aeon posted:

If anyone wants a good read, this article is about an ancient game based on the Hobbit but the underlying world was filled with dynamic npcs who had their own motivations, with the (unrealized but noble) goal of having a living, breathing world for the player to interact with: https://www.filfre.net/2012/11/the-hobbit/

Just made me think we are 40 years from that game and despite these big open world games having shop keepers go to sleep at night, there's little in the direction of actual unscripted dynamism.

Thanks this is a good read, and I know it's not exactly the same but it's interesting to see some parallels with the continued development of Dwarf Fortress. Like this bit in particular,

Filfire posted:

Literally, the player had a turn, then each animal had a turn, and the animals just “played” the game themselves according to their character profile, which included interacting with each other. In essence, the animals would do to each other anything that they could do to or with you. So we would constantly have animals interacting in ways that had never been programmed or envisioned. The game would crash because of something that happened in another part of the game that you as the user (or person testing the game!) didn’t see, because the game only showed you what was happening in your location. For a while, we had terrible trouble with all the animals showing up in one location and then killing each other before you got there, before I got the character profiles better adjusted!

Reminds me of the Dwarf Fortress bug of cats dying from alcohol poisoning lol

The Guardian posted:

When the game's creator, 44-year-old Tarn Adams, attempted to determine the cause, he discovered that cats were walking through puddles of spilled alcohol, licking themselves clean, and promptly dying of heart failure due to a minor error in the game's code, which overestimated the amount of alcohol ingested.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

roomtone posted:

well yeah i just think if people realised that - you know those storytelling thoughts you have before you fall asleep? thinking about some cool worldbuilding poo poo or like, a cool place or whatever. then you fall asleep sort of satisfied with your own imagination, or think, man i should make something like that one day.

that's the absolute height of the experience bethesda can offer you for $69.99. see that mountain? imagine if there was something cool on it.

and the real rubes decide to spend months/years/decades of their lives trying to mod a bit of that spark into the husk worlds bethesda create, for free.

When I found out about Unreal Editor 2 years (decades?) ago that's what helped me discover what modding and editing games was, so when a dev says "Imagine if there was something cool on that mountain" there have definitely been times in the past where I've thought "Hell yeah, I can build A MOUNTAIN BASE" and stuck a bunch of intersecting cubes on top of a pyramid (another rotated cube stuck in the ground) with automated turrets, and turned it into my own tower defense game or something, vastly expanding the life of the original product.

After 20+ years of gaming I'm more likely to say "You want me to imagine that I'm a space pirate? Either you make me feel like one or I'm just not going to bother", and if it's the wrong flavour of space pirate I'll consider it a failure even if it's good. Gaming has become my wine snobbery.

But yeah, in the case of Bethesda they definitely seem to be riding on this long standing reputation with different groups. To some people they're the Morrowind guys, to others they're the Oblivion and Fallout 3 guys, to others they're the Skyrim and Fallout 4 guys. That good will helped get them into Starfield, and now for some people they'll be the Starfield guys which will get them into the next product.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Sep 26, 2023

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

PinheadSlim posted:

Thanks this is a good read, and I know it's not exactly the same but it's interesting to see some parallels with the continued development of Dwarf Fortress. Like this bit in particular,

Dwarf Fortress is actually something that didn't occur to me, but you're right, it's probably the most similar in terms of having that goal! I guess maybe it becomes incredibly daunting when you think about mapping something similar to a typical modern gen open world 3d game, since the Hobbit was mostly text based and Dwarf Fortress is many things but not 3d.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://www.gamesradar.com/todd-how...hell-out-of-it/

So Todd confirmed my suspicious that they nerfed the actual exploration part of the game because it was too brutal. Frozen planets and poo poo actually did something to you.

Gee Todd wouldn't it be nice to shop the game with modes that actually let you experience the brutalness of space?

Guess modes are too expensive to budget in the same bucket as 8K sandwiches

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
More like Todd Blowhard

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

https://www.gamesradar.com/todd-how...hell-out-of-it/

So Todd confirmed my suspicious that they nerfed the actual exploration part of the game because it was too brutal. Frozen planets and poo poo actually did something to you.

Gee Todd wouldn't it be nice to shop the game with modes that actually let you experience the brutalness of space?

Guess modes are too expensive to budget in the same bucket as 8K sandwiches

Honestly, the whole RadAway Rad-X system in Fallout worked because you really only truly needed to use it in extreme situations. Anything more than that, and it would have been annoying. I couldn't imagine landing on a frozen planet and you're eating heatng pods or whatever the entire time.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Ideally different environments would lead to different gameplay, maybe you'll focus on mobility in low g and leap canyons, or you need to climb some stuff in high g so you take a grappling hook thing, or whatever. Maybe you have corrosive rain and need to bound from cover to cover, or opt for a heavy and clumsy suit to protect you. Point being, something that makes a difference, not just busywork selecting a suit with different resistances.

Do something with the whole idea of alien planets!!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Philthy posted:

Honestly, the whole RadAway Rad-X system in Fallout worked because you really only truly needed to use it in extreme situations. Anything more than that, and it would have been annoying. I couldn't imagine landing on a frozen planet and you're eating heatng pods or whatever the entire time.

Yeah, putting Survival Game mechanics into not-survival-games sucks because that poo poo is loving tedious busywork. (Which some people happen to like, but they can play actual survival games, or wait for someone to mod it in.) Everyone should have learned that lesson from NMS.

They could have made frozen planets or magma planets where you need the special equipment to go there, and the special magma suit is a midgame quest to acquire. But that would only pay off if there were different and special things to see on the magma planet so you felt rewarded for jumping through a hoop. Making more new and unique content was evidently beyond them.

edit:

Elukka posted:

Ideally different environments would lead to different gameplay, maybe you'll focus on mobility in low g and leap canyons, or you need to climb some stuff in high g so you take a grappling hook thing, or whatever. Maybe you have corrosive rain and need to bound from cover to cover, or opt for a heavy and clumsy suit to protect you. Point being, something that makes a difference, not just busywork selecting a suit with different resistances.

Do something with the whole idea of alien planets!!

The low or high g would be cool; the corrosive rain sounds good but Borderlands did that with the whole oxygen bubble things and it wasn't great in practice.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Klyith posted:

Everyone should have learned that lesson from NMS.

Yep yep as somebody who went back and really enjoyed NMS after it got overhauled into an actually interesting game, all the "survival" mechanics are just tedious busy work. All a planet being frozen or toxic or whatever means is that instead of getting to explore a cool planet, now I have to explore a cool planet with a constant ticking timer that occasionally requires me to find some carbon and shove it in my hazard suit doohickeys. This is not compelling gameplay, this is your mom coming into your room every five minutes while you're trying to play and telling you to put down the controller and wash some dishes before you can come back and keep having fun.

Anyway based on Skyrim some insane modders will absolutely add back in an overly intricate survival system to Starfield for those who want it, given enough time.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

kntfkr posted:

Starfield is kind of impressive when you consider that it's all the work of a single man dev team.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lol.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

kntfkr posted:

Starfield is kind of impressive when you consider that it's all the work of a single man dev team.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol a 1 month probe

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

he got off easy

mods could’ve forced him to play starfield

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
He could purchase seven parachute accounts for the price of one Starfield

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

FOV slider is a 2024 Q1 goal for starfield

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
It's a paid DLC that will release when it's ready

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

I just started replaying cp77 and it’s pretty funny how seamless the world is and how good the npcs look/move compared to starf. it feels like these games are separated by like a decade.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Death Stranding had a good survival mechanic with Timefall, because the player can't technically die. The focus is on keeping the cargo alive, and you can just spray it while on the move, you can even spray enemies in the face if you get caught out. You can see the weather patterns forming on the map and predict their movement over the next few in-game hours. It's much more dynamic than just "This is gas planet, you need a gas mask and oxygen tank to survive anywhere." or "This is lava planet. You need a heat suit and insulator to survive anywhere." It's a system that makes sense for something like Metroid, but it feels a bit too simple here.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Buce posted:

I just started replaying cp77 and it’s pretty funny how seamless the world is and how good the npcs look/move compared to starf. it feels like these games are separated by like a decade.

Night city kicks rear end because despite its small scale compared to a real life city, it feels like a believable dystopian future megacity.

Meanwhile the cowboy libertarian capitol would feel off even as a small far-flung colony, it absolutely doesn't look or feel like the headquarters for an interstellar alliance.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
It really is shocking how bad the performance is for such a bland looking and sparse game.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

how about the bustling city of neon which has up to 50 residents and is nearly the size of an entire football field. talk about a scifi megacity!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Buce posted:

how about the bustling city of neon which has up to 50 residents and is nearly the size of an entire football field. talk about a scifi megacity!

It's megacity: UnFun

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Deki posted:

Night city kicks rear end because despite its small scale compared to a real life city, it feels like a believable dystopian future megacity.

Night City quests also make sense for the setting. The Freestar quests end with you killing Bob Hope because he wants 50sqm of farm land with minerals on it, in a sci fi setting where there are large numbers of planets where he could put his magic mineral fertiliser without the expense of hiring a bunch of mercenaries. it's just a bad western trope transported into a sci fi setting where none of the assumptions of that trope make sense.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Night City quests also make sense for the setting. The Freestar quests end with you killing Bob Hope because he wants 50sqm of farm land with minerals on it, in a sci fi setting where there are large numbers of planets where he could put his magic mineral fertiliser without the expense of hiring a bunch of mercenaries. it's just a bad western trope transported into a sci fi setting where none of the assumptions of that trope make sense.

Couldn't he just go to... the other side of the planet? It's a whole loving planet, how do these people still bitch about lebensraum or whatever?

Ah well, I can't give them too much poo poo for that, Star Trek does this all the time too, where every group of a couple hundred assholes have to claim a whole planet, and god forbid anyone else settle on it. Every individual person MUST have an area of arable land the size of Maine all to themselves, and not one square inch less!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol starfield looks and runs 15 years old next to cyberpunk

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

wasnt this the case with fallout 4 and witcher 3 releasing around the same time too? todd just cant stop having his rear end spanked by polish devs

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

I was watching a dude play Rimworld once and he tried to do Dwarf Fortress in space by giving all of his people an addiction to alcohol. Things were going okay for the colony because he kept on top of production, but he had a bad habit of being lazy about restricting animals so the dozen or so cats he had could come and go wherever they wanted including the colony food storage. An ash cloud event happened that prevented crop growth and he was dealing with that and other things and didn't notice his food supplies dwindling until he spotted some vomit on the floor, clicked on it to see whose it was, and it indicated a cat.

So he clicked on the cat and its status was "hammered". He realizes that since the food ran out the cats have been living off the alcohol and it was like flipping a switch, suddenly there were blackout drunk cats puking all over the colony which made everyone unhappy and that + no food + alcoholics with no alcohol including now alcohol dependent cats and the whole colony was basically a loss. I think it caught fire during a raid and that was pretty much that.

This was years ago and I mostly only remember it because I was sick at the time and laughing that hard when my abs are already torn up from coughing and vomiting was kinda terrible.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Take all those drat pencils out of your Starfield inventory, Todd Howard tells overencumbered pack rats

And stop picking up every piece of 8K Ray traced avocado toast

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

cyberpunk GOOD

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Nucular Carmul posted:

Speaking of emotional and intellectual subjects. Does anyone else dislike the grav drive thing being what killed Earth? When I first saw what the planet was like I was hoping they were making a statement about humanity destroying its home with climate change, but then they get to the stars and are still doing the same basic government styles and history repeats itself and stuf. But then it takes away humanity's agency in its own history making it an oopsie in the grav jump thing that was easily fixed so the star born could force people to space. I think it sucks a lot!

While I haven't played it (since my graphics card is not good enough for it to Just Work) I've seen streams and have thoughts. I don't entirely mind the grav-drive thing, in part because the actual mechanism of Earth's demise is the same as in The Core, but what frustrates me more is that from everything I've seen and heard, Starfield's writers didn't care if their setting made sense. The whole Earth thing could have been, and should have been, a huge driving factor - I mean, it's Earth! Central to humanity like nothing else, dead! We should be able to see how the societal PTSD from the loss of Earth leaves its scars even 120 years later. How dogs and cats are (as far as I understand) extinct! Starfield is full of massive, massive things to wrestle with, and instead it lets you sell plutonium to vending machines with zero comment.

That's not even touching on how the Libertarian Space Cowboy capital world is 1.5 g. Everyone should be wearing helmets.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

quote:

I can't wait to see where Starfield goes after seeing the growth of RPGs like Cyberpunk 2077 and Baldur's Gate 3

Hahahaha

The quote might as well go:

I can't wait to see where Starfield goes after seeing the growth of RPGs like Vampire the Masquerade and Daikatana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
Daikatana means big japanese sword