Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
DANIEL HARPER: ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm going with my initial pitch: Hisashi Hirai is actively taking the piss.

Or it is AI art. It really looks like it...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

everyone skipped leg day

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MechaX posted:

oh my loving god

This is the delinquent class from G-witch right?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

This is the delinquent class from G-witch right?

Look, I'll poo poo on G-Witch as much as anyone, but even I feel like this is going a bit too far.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

They're loving with us at this point. This is not a real product meant to be sold

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

MechaX posted:

oh my loving god

Guy on the right is “no, we have Yzak at home”.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Omnicrom posted:

The hands are tiny and bad, I could be convinced….

Caros
May 14, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Oh God imagine an AI that was trained on nothing but Hirai faces.

Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant. For you. Hate. Hate.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

tsob posted:

Gene wasn't acting on legally acceptable duties because his orders were just to scout, and when Denim tried to stop him from attacking because it was outside their orders, Gene told him that he was emulating Char to make a name for himself. His actions were purely personal and driven entirely by ego, not orders. Which are not proof against war crimes anyway.

On the other hand, two soldiers were intimidating civilians by waving around machine guns and the one he just shot had hit his mother; he had a legitimate fear for not just his own life, but that of others around him. That is not a war crime; that's just protecting yourself. If anything, the Zeon soldiers threatening civilians in a hospital were the ones committing criminal acts.

Forget it, tsob. It's Chinatown.

Edit: Good Lord what the gently caress is going on with this movie? Why are all the designs bad? Why is Hirai giving all the female returning characters Big ol' DSL? Is it to show that they've aged? Doesi t take palce like a decade after Destiny?

No? It takes place one year after Destiny? Jesus loving Christ.

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 26, 2023

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

This is the world that wanted the Destiny Plan.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Hisashi HirAI

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Finished ZZ. Didn’t like it much by the end. Just ran out of interest in the characters, can’t put my finger on why. The shounen pandering was way heavier in this series than others I’ve seen as well; in terms of how women are treated, the deluge of unique enemy mechs, and zeta zeta being a voltron. I did like the more irreverent tone and humor and there were some fun memorable moments for sure. Just not high (at the bottom) on my list of Gundam series seen so far.

Next up: CCA then probably a UC break for IBO.

E: also til there’s a 4k HDR version of CCA released on bluray

PhoenixFlaccus fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 26, 2023

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
the mobile suit breakdown discourse also reminded me that when they started on ZZ, they brought up some interviews with the staff behind it, which was very enlightening as to why the massive tone shift. everyone said they were getting tired of grim and intense anime aimed at adult fans, and sincerely felt like anime should return to fun kids shows.

also given how the last stretch of zeta is, you can understand wanting a break

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Finished ZZ. Didn’t like it much by the end. Just ran out of interest in the characters, can’t put my finger on why. The shounen pandering was way heavier in this series than others I’ve seen as well; in terms of how women are treated, the deluge of unique enemy mechs, and zeta zeta being a voltron. I did like the more irreverent tone and humor and there were some fun memorable moments for sure. Just not high (at the bottom) on my list of Gundam series seen so far.

Next up: CCA then probably a UC break for IBO.

E: also til there’s a 4k HDR version of CCA released on bluray

ZZ is a mess

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Finished ZZ. Didn’t like it much by the end. Just ran out of interest in the characters, can’t put my finger on why. The shounen pandering was way heavier in this series than others I’ve seen as well; in terms of how women are treated, the deluge of unique enemy mechs, and zeta zeta being a voltron.

Chara “Boobzilla” Soon is a hell of a character.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's a mess but it's my mess

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

She's Chara Soon.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ohtori Akio posted:

my stance is that they're both good. a group of children will grow up thinking this is the most badass way to draw war criminals and i'm here for it.

The prime demographic for SEED and Destiny when they first aired is well into the 'establishing their careers' phase, assuming they didn't get their knees broken by global economics. There's a better than even chance that the teams working on the movie have at least a few members who watched the original as teenagers.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Waffleman_ posted:

It's a mess but it's my mess

I honestly don’t think ZZ is that messy, I think the midway tone shift is executed a lot better than people give it credit for and it feels like you’re building up to it. The only parts I can think of that are truly messy are the Ple deaths, which don’t have the weight and aftershocks of other character deaths.

Edit: oh wait whoops I forgot the Leina thing lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think Judau is my favorite of the OG UC protagonists

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

1.Kamille
2. Bellri
3. Uso
4. Amuro
5. Io
6. Loran
6.5. Seabook
7. Judeau
8. Darryl
9. Shiro
10. Tobia
11. Kou

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What about Bana-*EVEN SO*

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
What a reprehensible list to not include a special category of shame for Shiro Amada.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Chara “Boobzilla” Soon is a hell of a character.

It’s more than that. It’s how every female character is in love with one of like 3 dudes and they conveniently get killed off when there are too many girls liking one guy as if that’s the only way for the writers to resolve it and all the teenage boys at home go “noooooo, my harem!”. They’re also often portrayed as being too emotional to handle anything rationally.

Every female character feels written to fulfill a teen boy’s fantasy in some way which isn’t a problem exclusive to this ZZ, but it did seem more omnipresent.

I completely understand that it’s a product of the times and culture, and that it was made to cater/pander to a very specific audience. Those aspects of it just haven’t aged well and brought down my enjoyment.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Can some please post the Haman copypasta

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

It’s more than that. It’s how every female character is in love with one of like 3 dudes and they conveniently get killed off when there are too many girls liking one guy as if that’s the only way for the writers to resolve it and all the teenage boys at home go “noooooo, my harem!”. They’re also often portrayed as being too emotional to handle anything rationally.

Every female character feels written to fulfill a teen boy’s fantasy in some way which isn’t a problem exclusive to this ZZ, but it did seem more omnipresent.

I completely understand that it’s a product of the times and culture, and that it was made to cater/pander to a very specific audience. Those aspects of it just haven’t aged well and brought down my enjoyment.

Roux exists to fulfill my fantasy of a badass lady vaporizing a creepy fuckhead rear end in a top hat with a beam rifle.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

War and Pieces posted:

Can some please post the Haman copypasta

Which one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kanos posted:

Roux exists to fulfill my fantasy of a badass lady vaporizing a creepy fuckhead rear end in a top hat with a beam rifle.

Every pilot of the Zeta is a cute girl who is mean

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
very rude to misgender transmasc king Kamille Bidan like that

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

That and overtly sexualizing a child, repeatedly.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

Kanos posted:

Yeah she’s an exception unless I’m forgetting something. Don’t remember exactly how the Glemy stuff went but iirc she was like “flattered but nah”. She is the Lt Emma of ZZ. Probably the coolest character in the show.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Yeah she’s an exception unless I’m forgetting something. Don’t remember exactly how the Glemy stuff went but iirc she was like “flattered but nah”. She is the Lt Emma of ZZ. Probably the coolest character in the show.
She ruthlessly exploits Glemys feelings and seems strained about having to murder him with a beam rifle at the end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is a small bit of 'if you weren't such a shithead' there but it is very small

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

Nessus posted:

She ruthlessly exploits Glemys feelings and seems strained about having to murder him with a beam rifle at the end.

Not TOO strained. She kinda kills Ple Two too because she shoots him so fast after she jumps. Yeah now that you mention it I remember her using him to escape or something a couple times. Glemy is the Lt Jerid of ZZ, but somehow worse.

That guy who was obsessed over Haman’s rose early on was fun.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Mashymre is a delight and one of my favorite Zeon recurring enemies from all of UC

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I just can't get over the new Seed character designs. Jodhpurs and insane proportions? The leader(?) character looks like someone watched The Neverending Story and got inspired but in a bad way. You could get better results with one of those doll maker sites.

I too am a big fan of Mashmyre. Dude is just charmingly deluded and doesn't go hard core creep like Glemmy. Glemmy sucks and I'm glad he dies.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

RevolverDivider posted:

Mashymre is a delight and one of my favorite Zeon recurring enemies from all of UC

https://twitter.com/splendidland/status/1273743573566005248

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Funny thing is I'm pretty sure chicken sashimi is a thing in Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

What a reprehensible list to not include a special category of shame for Shiro Amada.

The difference between Kou and Shiro is that Shiro has a complete story arc, a bad one, but still one. Shiro has the eject button smashed on his story and ends up floundering the rest of the series, getting cucked by a fascist, and then ending up in the exact same place he was and still lusting after a woman who betrayed him. Totally incompetent

I purposefully didn't rank Hathaway until his movies are all out, and forgot Banana existed. He'd be next to Shiro tho