Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

been a little confused about this for a while, wondering if anyone has any theories.

so my area of the city (tracked in the graph below) has an enormous student population, like maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the residents are students. around late december 2021 / early january 2022 -- so, while most of these people were likely out of the city for the holidays -- there was a massive, massive spike in covid in wastewater analysis which has never been approached before or since:

i'm wondering exactly how it got so loving huge, especially given that case counts / hospitalizations / deaths / etc. -- which are monitored, i would say, pretty okay (obviously not great) here -- didn't seem so monumentally worse at that time compared to other times that are like, local maxima in that graph. (anecdotally, things are roughly as bad or maybe worse right now re: case counts here as they were at that time)

my two hypotheses are [a] the variant popular here at the time shows up in uniquely copious amounts in the GI tract, or [b] there was less wastewater from "non-individual" things (restaurants, businesses, whatever), leading a given case count in the population to register way higher per milliliter than it would had that same case count occurred in, like, mid february.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

If it's per mL it's definitely the latter. Makes sense enough no?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
bugs and daffy ripping signs off the tree but they both say covid season

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Soap Scum posted:

my two hypotheses are [a] the variant popular here at the time shows up in uniquely copious amounts in the GI tract, or [b] there was less wastewater from "non-individual" things (restaurants, businesses, whatever), leading a given case count in the population to register way higher per milliliter than it would had that same case count occurred in, like, mid february.

It is pretty confusing, the variability is so drat high in this wastewater data. Sort of makes me believe they just aren't taking a large enough sample. But perhaps there are super-super spreaders where someone is just making GBS threads pure covid. And if you draw your sample after they take a dump....

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
My doctor recommends waiting at least 2 months to get the vaccine for some reason. She said if I get the vaccine it will send my body into overdrive but she said other providers say to do it when you’re right over covid.

Idk what to do now.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Soap Scum posted:

been a little confused about this for a while, wondering if anyone has any theories.

so my area of the city (tracked in the graph below) has an enormous student population, like maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the residents are students. around late december 2021 / early january 2022 -- so, while most of these people were likely out of the city for the holidays -- there was a massive, massive spike in covid in wastewater analysis which has never been approached before or since:

i'm wondering exactly how it got so loving huge, especially given that case counts / hospitalizations / deaths / etc. -- which are monitored, i would say, pretty okay (obviously not great) here -- didn't seem so monumentally worse at that time compared to other times that are like, local maxima in that graph. (anecdotally, things are roughly as bad or maybe worse right now re: case counts here as they were at that time)

Sorry I had real bad shits that week

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I thought wastewater concentrations were not actually absolute but relative to some not-quite-static reference?

e: also Dec 2021/Jan 2022 was the first omicron surge in much of the world so there probably were shitloads of virions floating around then.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 19:21 on Sep 26, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

My doctor recommends waiting at least 2 months to get the vaccine for some reason. She said if I get the vaccine it will send my body into overdrive but she said other providers say to do it when you’re right over covid.

Idk what to do now.

Wait 2 months is the standard recommendation although the reason given is that you already have tons of circulating antibodies right now which will make the vaccine effectively not do anything rather than "it'll send your immune system into overdrive"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Glumwheels posted:

She said if I get the vaccine it will send my body into overdrive

jesus christ

just wait a couple months, if your body actively and successfully fought off a covid infection it has literally just done the REal Thing that the vaccine seeks to imitate.

e: this is not an argument for ~nAtURaL imMuNItY~ but it is how vaccines work so

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tulip posted:

And I know that the actual answer is "the cumulative effects of reactionary judges finally broke the back of the administrative state and now the only force in the country is inertia" but like, future historians are going to want to point to some singular event like the Battle of Manzikert or something.

2010: obama approves super pacs in order to play to centrist voters, setting up the political landscape that elected trump, who fumbled the pandemic so badly that his successor's pathetic non-response seemed herculean, and the state had to sustain the illusion that nothing was wrong in order to maintain its power.

2032: goon compound declares independence. so-called world powers are unable to muster a sufficient number of healthy troops to assert themselves, and are forced to recognize its autonomy.

2033: "goat man" becomes the official state animal of goonlandia

2105: generation ship "kirk johnson" embarks on settlement mission to alpha centauri

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

gandlethorpe posted:

Just heard a PSA on the radio warning about sudden cardiac arrest in young athletes. Seems normal.

Two of my classmates died of that within a year of graduation back in the 90s, but I'd be curious to see the incident trend line over the last 6 years

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Poppers posted:

Due to being a broke bitch with broke bitch healthcare I can’t get my covid booster anywhere right now. This sucks. Wish there was still government money for these kinds of things.

Have you tried getting your vaccine through the Bridge Access Program? I hear that some people are having success getting their vaccine for free this way, but also that lots of participating locations are still charging people because they don't have a loving clue what they're doing at the moment.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/bridge/index.html

HazCat
May 4, 2009

RealityWarCriminal posted:

bugs and daffy ripping signs off the tree but they both say covid season

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

U-DO Burger posted:

Have you tried getting your vaccine through the Bridge Access Program? I hear that some people are having success getting their vaccine for free this way, but also that lots of participating locations are still charging people because they don't have a loving clue what they're doing at the moment.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/bridge/index.html

The wording on this makes it sound like it won't work for me since my HMO covers it in full, but only at in network locations, none of which have stock yet. Also my hospital employer isn't offering it to employees for free either. Is so stupid...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
here comes the spin:

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1706567620613312976?s=46

and an onion-worthy headline:

https://twitter.com/thevertlartnic/status/1706706827348418679?s=46

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Gunshow Poophole posted:

jesus christ

just wait a couple months, if your body actively and successfully fought off a covid infection it has literally just done the REal Thing that the vaccine seeks to imitate.

e: this is not an argument for ~nAtURaL imMuNItY~ but it is how vaccines work so

Right but she mentioned “natural immunity” which is bs but I’ll probably just wait since it’s almost been 1 month since I was sick. I’ll do my flu shot then do covid vaccine end of October.

I need to get the kids vaccinated first and foremost and my parents.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Baddog posted:

It is pretty confusing, the variability is so drat high in this wastewater data. Sort of makes me believe they just aren't taking a large enough sample. But perhaps there are super-super spreaders where someone is just making GBS threads pure covid. And if you draw your sample after they take a dump....

Yeah it sucks that our only remaining somewhat reliable non-lagging indicator is not really all that reliable. And also anymore it's lagging as well, my area posts wastewater updates 2-3 weeks after the fact and by that point it's out of date.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

Instead, the authors of the new study argue that the symptoms are common among upper respiratory viruses.

The research team said this lack of definition could end up leading to an increase in healthcare spending and more anxiety, as well as misdiagnoses and a diversion of funds.

Even if this was true, the sheer prevalence of COVID makes it a unique, novel problem. It's not true, but even if it was, it wouldn't matter. And the number of people with untreated CFS and poo poo wouldn't be changing.

So really they're just transparently showing their asses here.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Glumwheels posted:

Right but she mentioned “natural immunity” which is bs but I’ll probably just wait since it’s almost been 1 month since I was sick. I’ll do my flu shot then do covid vaccine end of October.

Natural immunity meaning "your body has fought off an infection and developed (temporary) resistance to it" isn't bullshit....

The bullshit part is the addon that it is lasting and you no longer need to be concerned anymore at all, forever after. Similar to the "I got my 2 shots and I'm done now" bullshit. Or "I have hybrid immunity, so NOW I'm really done".

Our governments just seems allergic to coming out and saying "no covid immunity last more than a couple months".

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

Even if this was true, the sheer prevalence of COVID makes it a unique, novel problem. It's not true, but even if it was, it wouldn't matter. And the number of people with untreated CFS and poo poo wouldn't be changing.

So really they're just transparently showing their asses here.

people getting nagging coughs from all sorts of things means that we should be unconcerned with the 5-10% of people with activity limitations following a covid infection

KlavierVogel
Feb 27, 2004

[] an old crow spoke to me [] busted leg limped down the street [] said we're both tied to our own trees [] cut me loose, cut me loose []
Got by covid booster & flu shot with a same-day appointment yesterday. Didn't have to provide insurance or anything either (even though I've gotten shots from Walgreens before I don't fill my prescriptions with them so I doubt they have anything on file for me).

Only wrinkle was that I had to wait like 45 minutes after the appointment time because the Walgreens I went to only had two people working and they were slammed. I don't know how they don't just drop dead from exhaustion - every time I've had to get a shot from Walgreens (multiple different locations in my city too) they've been seriously short staffed :smith:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
My pharmacy recently started closing for an hour in the middle of the day to cover lunch breaks. They're also busy always.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

KlavierVogel posted:

Got by covid booster & flu shot with a same-day appointment yesterday. Didn't have to provide insurance or anything either (even though I've gotten shots from Walgreens before I don't fill my prescriptions with them so I doubt they have anything on file for me).

Only wrinkle was that I had to wait like 45 minutes after the appointment time because the Walgreens I went to only had two people working and they were slammed. I don't know how they don't just drop dead from exhaustion - every time I've had to get a shot from Walgreens (multiple different locations in my city too) they've been seriously short staffed :smith:

this seems to be most businesses, schools, cemeteries, etc.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

The Ferret King posted:

My pharmacy recently started closing for an hour in the middle of the day to cover lunch breaks. They're also busy always.

places all over are starting to do this. our post office does this now (granted we're tiny in the middle of nowhere)

hell I might do this lol

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Ideally they’d both be wearing masks incorrectly but that seems like a hassle to add and lol anyway.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

hm. found out that my old high school is begging parents to consent to regular covid tests for their kids again. apparently they've had enough cases in the first three weeks of the school year that things are getting p. disrupted.

back to normal sure is complicated.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

Glumwheels posted:

Idk what to do now.

anecdotal but my therapist told me after their covid infection last year they got the booster either right before or shortly after they became symptomatic and said it was an extremely not good time for them.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
oh cool, antivaxx-adjacent child infection enthusiast and anti-masking zealot Vinay Prasad? let's hear him out about long COVID, maybe he has some good ideas

lmao

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Too Many Birds posted:

anecdotal but my therapist told me after their covid infection last year they got the booster either right before or shortly after they became symptomatic and said it was an extremely not good time for them.

I got my booster the day before I tested positive last year. it was a trip but I didn't go to the hospital, so it was a mild trip

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Glumwheels posted:

well "natural temporary resistance" is a thing but people get stuck on phrasing

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

celadon posted:

i think giving up on covid made it illogical to do anything but give up on anything less immediately dangerous than covid, which unfortunately is most aspects of public health. so we just gotta give up as hard as we can wherever we can, forever

it's called the new normal, what do you want to do? be weird?

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

mdemone posted:

*looks in direction of Honeywell half-mask respirator*

it may be time again, my sweet

i'm considering wearing mine for a family visit flight next week rather than just an aura after reading the airline horror stories in here.

i had to drive 90 miles one way to the next large town, but i got one of the 20 boosters the walgreens got delivered this morning...phew! miraculously, my BCBS insurance covered it...was expecting to pay out of pocket.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Manager randomly says he hasn't been able to taste anything since Mother's Day. :psyduck:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
On Sunday around noon I was leaving to get a haircut with a person who actually still masks. In the hallway are two people are completely fall down drunk, with one of them trying to guide the other on how to successfully walk around a corner. After I go past them, I hear them yelling stuff about "maybe he's diseased" "masks in 2023????????????"

More annoyed about the misgendering part but, people, it's noon and you're so wasted from brunch that you can barely get back to your apartment. Not really the time to be throwing judgements on anyone else.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shiroc posted:

On Sunday around noon I was leaving to get a haircut with a person who actually still masks. In the hallway are two people are completely fall down drunk, with one of them trying to guide the other on how to successfully walk around a corner. After I go past them, I hear them yelling stuff about "maybe he's diseased" "masks in 2023????????????"

More annoyed about the misgendering part but, people, it's noon and you're so wasted from brunch that you can barely get back to your apartment. Not really the time to be throwing judgements on anyone else.

That's the perfect time actually

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Shiroc posted:

I’m a big dude so I haven’t experienced any bs like that. but my wife has told me it happens to her all the time. good to know they are definitely thinking it

sorry people are jerks

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

CGI Stardust posted:

oh cool, antivaxx-adjacent child infection enthusiast and anti-masking zealot Vinay Prasad? let's hear him out about long COVID, maybe he has some good ideas

lmao

Tracy Beth Høeg's most liked tweet is this:

The subsequent tweets are a string of anti childhood vaccination stuff.

I am familiar with her body of work as she is Danish :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

I actually think the term “Long Covid” sucks, and turns into another “mild” label. I feel like it downplays it, and gives people an easy “out” for their newfound health problems. It insinuates an unfortunate random happenstance that will go away at some point - just slightly later than other people.